Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Sequel Ever

AmatheAmathe Member EpicPosts: 4,677
The idea is to choose among games where the sequel is/was better than the original, and then select the one where it was the most improved. 

Expansions and patches don't count. It has to be a whole new game.

I nominate GW2. It was a million times better than GW1. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

AlbatroesJean-Luc_PicardKellerJamesGoblinQuizzicalvandal5627mmolouHashbrickt0nydScotand 1 other.

Comments

• parrotpholkparrotpholk Member EpicPosts: 4,437
    Uncharted 2 I thought was better than original

Most improved goes to Division 2
    boris20
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,219
    Diablo 2, and I don’t even know where to start listing the improvements...

Honourable mention goes out to Street Fighter 2, a hundred times better then the first in every area mentionable.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    parrotpholkAlbatroesJamesGoblinultimateduckCryomatrixNycteliosFoncl
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • Mars_OrbitalMars_Orbital Member UncommonPosts: 478
    edited March 13
    Pusher 2, o you mean in gaming .. Shenmue 2
    "Killed just about everything that walked or crawled at one time or another,and I'm here to kill you Little Bill, for what you did to Ned" - William Munny / Unforgiven .
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member EpicPosts: 5,902
    Amathe said:
    The idea is to choose among games where the sequel is/was better than the original, and then select the one where it was the most improved. 

Congratz on getting my first WTF for saying GW2 is million times better than GW1.
    AmatheJamesGoblinQuizzicalHashbrickMorgenes83
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,460
    Road Rash 2.
    MrMelGibsonGilcroixNyteWytchBossChono
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 7,830
    I agree on GW2 being much better than the first one, simply because the first one wasn't a MMORPG at all.

You'd need categories if you want to make such a list...

For instance...

Best RPG sequel: Ultima VII: The Black Gate.
    Best adventure game sequel: Rise of the Tomb Raider.
    Best MMORPG sequel: Elder Scrolls Online (to me one notch better than GW2).
    Best action RPG sequel: Diablo III.
    Best space game sequel: Elite Dangerous.

Etc...
    JamesGoblinCaffynated
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 595
    edited March 13
    Jagged Alliance 2
    Final Fantasy VII
    Streets of Rage 2
  • AmatheAmathe Member EpicPosts: 4,677
    Albatroes said:
    Amathe said:

Congratz on getting my first WTF for saying GW2 is million times better than GW1.
    Many happy returns.
    Jean-Luc_PicardJamesGoblinMrMelGibsonSwampySack

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 32,233
    Witcher 3, over the first two.
    Jean-Luc_PicardJamesGoblinrojoArcueidNycteliosKilraneMrMelGibsonAdamantineXarkoPhaserlightdelete5230

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited March 13
    lahnmir said:

Honourable mention goes out to Street Fighter 2, a hundred times better then the first in every area mentionable.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Yet I loved D1 and disliked D2, go figure.

Perhaps the novelty wore off.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

FFXI vs FFXIV, now there's a tough call.

• ArteriusArterius Member RarePosts: 611
    Divinity Original Sin 2. I only got to chapter 3 of the Divinity Original Sin before throwing in the towel. I can not see that happening with the sequel. It improved on the first game in every possible way. 
    MrMelGibsonMisterZebub
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,219
    Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I am surprised you liked them at all hahaha.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    JamesGoblin
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
    lahnmir said:
    Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I am surprised you liked them at all hahaha.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Well D1 released at a time when RPGs were in a bit of a rut, so it was viewed as as revitalizing the genre.

Of course then many said it wasn't a proper CRPG ....and the ARPG was born.

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,370
    Gothic 2 
    One of the finest rpg games ever and a big big step up from Gothic 1
    AmatheJamesGoblinparrotpholkimmodiumMrMelGibsonikcinXarko

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,239
    I liked WoW much more than Warcraft 3 - which I also liked and played a lot, but there at least I made some food/toilet breaks. 
     W...aaagh?
  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 4,876
    edited March 13
    Kyleran said:
    FFXI vs FFXIV, now there's a tough call.
    That is like saying Beetlejuice three times except substitute Beetlejuice with.....

AmatheJamesGoblin

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 2,877
    I'm not certain I have a sequel that was substantially better than the original.   Maybe, Civilization 2 being better than Civilization 1.  *Maybe*.  The original X-Com was epic, X-Com: Terror from the Deep didn't add much.  Diablo and Diablo II were entirely too similar.  All the Might&Magic series were all the same, with little improvement at all between the titles.

My candidate:  Imperium Galactica II.  Better story lines, less hand holding.  But still only marginally better.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,051
    Masters of Orion 2!

Morrowind as compared to the Elder Scrolls games that came before it.

Galactic Civilizations II

Of course now I want to try Gothic 2 as BlueTurtle says it's amazing. Is it? IS IT?!?!!? :o
    Kyleran

• parrotpholkparrotpholk Member EpicPosts: 4,437

Of course now I want to try Gothic 2 as BlueTurtle says it's amazing. Is it? IS IT?!?!!? :o
    Have not played it in years but remember it being very good.  Definitely worth the playthrough.  Think you can pick it up for around 10 bucks on steam.
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 5,654
    Impossible to choose. Emotions, nostalgia and all of that. Would require a deep breath.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 6,726
    Amathe said:

GW2 is not a real sequel.  They two different genres. Using this logic WoW is the greatest sequel since it was a sequel to Warcraft 3....
    Scot

BizkitNL said:
    Road Rash 2.
    I say 3D or Jailbreak were bigger sequels 

Madden 2055

I win
    blueturtle13KyleranAlBQuirky

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 188
    My vote goes to Mass Effect 2. Testament to this is the fact that ME 1 didn't age well if one wants to play it today movement feels clunky, graphics do look dated and the same goes for character progression; while the second chapter can be easily enjoyed even with today's standards.
    SovrathKyleranMrMelGibsonSharne