Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path of Exile Synthesis League First Impressions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imagePath of Exile Synthesis League First Impressions

The latest in Path of Exile’s big updates has gone live just recently with the Synthesis League. It brings a host of adjustments to current skills, new skills and changes to the passive tree. The namesake of this League brings to the player a chance to find lost memories of Cavas with a chance at rare loot at the end of that tunnel. We’re a week in to the new expansion and it’s time to see how it's doing.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Game is full of reused assets. Didnt change since release. So, new update is out. I guess your char does now mowr dommage?
    [Deleted User]velimiriusbrandedwolfSkymourne
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited March 2019
    Betrayal .. another failed league mechanic that should have been discarded, instead of integrated into the game. It is great to try out new stuff, but how about learning something from it too?
    Not to mention all those previous league mechanics that worked in their respective leagues, don't always work when you "water them down" by reducing their occurrences to almost nothing, which is what happens when integrated into the main game.
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    "brought to bare?" We're going NC-17? How about "brought to bear" as in bearing arms. Oh, I suppose we have bare arms, too, if we've gone all "brought to bare".

I'm not so slap happy with Synthesis. You need a speed or tank build to get through the mobs choking passages to claim memory nodes that give you buffs in all the connected nodes. If you blow it by either not understanding the game mechanics or not having the right kind of build, you lose the memory node permanently. You have just seconds, perhaps 10 seconds, to get from the node entrance to claim icon before it decays around you.

My verdict: Another meta-player end-game league.
    Arskaaa
  • turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166
    I kinda miss Betrayal, I liked moving Safehouse crews around to try and set up good, profitable boss runs.
    I agree that, so far, this feels a little frantic for my tastes. I'm not a rusher, I like to play a bit more deliberately.

T
    mike32927
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    great stuff but few issue; game freeze for 5 sec when betrayal assassin pop up, died to tis 2 time.
    casters/ranged seems dominate tis league, feels bad for melee.
    tis league gameplay speed is insane, u need move so fast get thouse memory fragments. kinda wish game had 130% movement speed cap. now u need move 300% move speed.
    EvilGeek
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    The initial run into the memory maps can be a pain in the ass, it's all about speed and your ability to get past some nasty little choke points surrounded by mobs, once unlocked though I do enjoy the map planning and playing through them at a more leisurely pace. It is in their patch plans to create a bit more space at the beginning of each node, which I for one will appreciate, there's been a couple of occasions where I've just turned slightly too far to avoid the initial mob zerg and disintegrated the map because I hit the blue dirge head on. Very annoying.

I enjoyed Betrayal, took me a while to suss how it worked but once I did I enjoyed it. I'm glad they integrated it in to the main game, I know there are plenty who aren't happy though. It does absolutely need fine tuning, having syndicate members suddenly appear and one shot you is not fun, yes you can try and make sure with planning, they don't get over leveled but their power always seem too high for the current map during story acts, I'm really hoping they'll look at that.

The new passive additions are working well for me. I think some of the new skills need tweeking a bit though to make them viable, Malevolence has too high of a mana reservation, 50% is prohibitive especially if you're running something like Clarity too, powerful but not powerful enough for the sacrifice in mana IMHO.

Enjoying it myself, didn't expect anything radically new in terms of design or assets, it's an ARPG, seems par for the course for the genre. For a free game pretty damn amazing in terms of hours you can spend running around killing stuff and getting phat (or not so phat) loot. They've done loads since I first played the game. I'm appreciating it all as a returning player.
    Arskaaa[Deleted User]brandedwolf

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    Im the biggest fan of PoE but this league is just abysmal. Its extremely boring.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    It is a tad boring to be honest, dont really care for the synthesis portion really, love delve and beastiary, syndicate would be fun if it wasnt 1 shotable and i played hardcore.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations.