Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamigo is Shutting Rift Prime Down on March 31st

2»

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    DMKano said:
    Gamigo will most likely be shutting down everything except ArcheAge and Trove.

Gamigo - where games go to die, there are like 2-3 devs left on each team for every Trion game - I have no idea why any of the ex-trion devs would stay to work for such a crap company since there's no hope of ever having any budget to hire more help or do anything cool.

nothing to see here... it's all gone to total shit

Since Gamigo buyout the populations have plummeted across all trion games - because well there is not enough staff  left to do any meaningful work on the games anymore.

How does Gamigo even turn a profit with this kind of management of purchased properties?
    Gdemami
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Scorchien said:
    Hatefull said:

Scorchien said:

lmfao ... noone saw that coming .. ohh wait we did ..

Didn't they say when they started this server that it would be shut down eventually? Meaning it was never intended to run "forever"?

Yeah, here https://www.trionworlds.com/rift/en/2018/02/21/rift-prime-launch-march-7-2018/ the announcement where it says an undetermined life span.

So yeah no surprise at all...because they said they were going to...yeah.
      They also said  with there usual double talk , that it may not be shut down ..   so yeah ..

Was a bad idea desperate money grab that many saw right thru from the day they announced it ..
    No shit so anyone that did not see the writing on the wall a year ago deserves what they got. I mean honestly, it wasn't a secret They literally said we will shut this off at some point. I linked a reference, it's not like you need super sleuth skills to figure out what they meant. lol.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Aeander said:
    DMKano said:

Gamigo - where games go to die, there are like 2-3 devs left on each team for every Trion game - I have no idea why any of the ex-trion devs would stay to work for such a crap company since there's no hope of ever having any budget to hire more help or do anything cool.

Since Gamigo buyout the populations have plummeted across all trion games - because well there is not enough staff  left to do any meaningful work on the games anymore.

How does Gamigo even turn a profit with this kind of management of purchased properties?
    Well, get ready for this *puts on tinfoil hat*

They are a money laundering business

Wouldn't be "TOO" surprising. Restaurants and other physical store/building etc, they get a lot of attention from cops and investigators. While some DO get through the cracks, it would be much safer to do an online game kinda business for money laundering. Less chance of being noticed. Granted I'm sure they have a physical business too, but easier to get through the cracks than a fake restaurant/business.

I think that is why also a russian backed "investment" company owns SOE's games. What better way to launder money and also get a profit from cash shops at the same time. And no one in the US can do anything about it, because they are in russia.

Your last statement is not accurate at all however, I don't think you need a tinfoil hat just yet. If you ever do though, just ask @wizardy he has a collection of them I am certain.

DBG is owned by Inception Media Group, which is owned by Cameron Thomson LTD, neither of which are Russian at all unless you think Canada is part of Russia.

You are probably talking about this and while they might have been, they are no longer associated with "ze Russians"

Here

Here

Here 

Having said all of that, It would not surprise me to find out they are funneling money through games. It does make sense as you pointed out.
    Gdemami

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 145

There wasn't anything wrong with the prime server. The vanilla experience is just a phase that people go through to try and recapture the magic of the first MMO they played... they eventually leave. That's all that's happened here.

Problem is though, they don't realise how it makes the game look in general. They think "Hey, this will save us money." but now everyone thinks Rift is going to go bye bye at any time and it will be losing players like crazy. Which.. could cause it to go bye bye.

Same with the GW2 layoffs. They think it will save them money but they probably already know they've just lost a hell of a lot of players because of it and are gaining far few newer ones.

Self destructive.

Actually quite true. Any news about decline is not good for a game. It's the perception that helps people be not interested in playing. And decline is a steamrolling effect just like success. Once you get it rolling, its easy to keep going. Word of mouth is still a very powerful tool.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited March 2019
    If you factor in how many of the players left are 100% ftp players my guess is Trove & Rift will go within a 1-2 years. Why would anyone spend money on those games at this point seeing as they're in maintenance mode. If that day ever comes they should just sell them to another developer to keep them up and running or possibly develop further.
    Post edited by BruceYee on
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    edited March 2019

Hatefull said:

Scorchien said:

lmfao ... noone saw that coming .. ohh wait we did ..

Didn't they say when they started this server that it would be shut down eventually? Meaning it was never intended to run "forever"?

Yeah, here https://www.trionworlds.com/rift/en/2018/02/21/rift-prime-launch-march-7-2018/ the announcement where it says an undetermined life span.

So yeah no surprise at all...because they said they were going to...yeah.

Well it has been live for little over a year, what puzzles me is that presumably it is not now making money. Is it's population over the year known? It may be considered to be having an adverse effect on the other servers, pulling players of servers which are making more money.

How long are classic servers meant to last, well I would have said two to three years, they did pay to get in.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited March 2019
    Was going happen some day if the sub like server didn't take on. It's not cheap to keep a open world running if it's not a fully instant base mmo. I been on the live server still people around not sure if it's covering the cost to keep it running.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Aeander said:
    DMKano said:

Well, get ready for this *puts on tinfoil hat*

They are a money laundering business

Wouldn't be "TOO" surprising. Restaurants and other physical store/building etc, they get a lot of attention from cops and investigators. While some DO get through the cracks, it would be much safer to do an online game kinda business for money laundering. Less chance of being noticed. Granted I'm sure they have a physical business too, but easier to get through the cracks than a fake restaurant/business.

I think that is why also a russian backed "investment" company owns SOE's games. What better way to launder money and also get a profit from cash shops at the same time. And no one in the US can do anything about it, because they are in russia.

Check out #12 on the list ;)

https://judiciary.house.gov/story-type/letter/house-judiciary-committee-document-requests-3419

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• RemoWilliamsRemoWilliams Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Sad to hear. I loved that game in the beginning but never in my life would go back to it after everyone i knew left.
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    It was a poorly done progression server that should have used the classic elements and instead decided to use the awful tier modern elements such as current soul trees which destroyed a hell of a lot of builds.

Not to mention class balance was out of whack for the first month with all rogues going Sab, ability lag was ridiculous and other factors.

By 4-5 months the population had heavily declined. 

This is a good thing it's shutting down. If Gamigo can get rid of all the screw ups Trion have done and actually consider slowly but surely improving the mess Trion made with their products then they may have a winner on their hands.

However I got about as much chance as winning the lottery than that happening.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    All Archeage needs to run is 1 person to add stuff to the cash shop, 1 bot to auto respond to the idiots still playing and crying about cheating and P2W like it wasn't happening from A1.

They'll do a sub server to get everybody back, then bait and switch back to P2W cash shop and continue to milk until dead. It's obvious AF.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Kumapon said:

However I got about as much chance as winning the lottery than that happening.
    Uh yeah that's... definitely not what they are doing.  They've pretty much ignored the players of Rift from day 1 by not assigning a single employee to do public relations.  People you don't talk to, you don't make content for.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    edited March 2019
    Sad to hear. I loved that game in the beginning but never in my life would go back to it after everyone i knew left.
    Welcome to the boards! :)

People move on but if they are in guilds they play other MMOs together, that's how you relive those times in modern MMOs.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    edited March 2019
    Rift will likely follow. It was the best WoW alternative imo. Trion screwed it up, as they did every other thing they touched. Loved the game for a long time. #$%^ Trion. 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited March 2019

I fear that AO's new progression server will see the same fate. Sad for the community that was built on the Rift Prime server, though. =(

The difference is, Funcom isn't known to just randomly shut things down, and they are the original devs. Also AO seems to have a decent community on the new server. I have no idea what is going on but I'm having fun on it. Gamigo bought Trion, probably saw that the population was low on the server, and didn't want to put effort into setting up the expansion releases.
    FC is known, however, to make random sweeping changes to their MMOs that no one asked for, and/or be very disingenuous/deceptive in how they market/discuss it.

Shadowlands made sweeping changes to AO that no one asked for, and which many many players were turned off by as it rendered a lot of their progress moot (introducing symbiants being one example). Oh yeah, and how about all those higher resolution character models they teased for a long time, just to try and get/keep people hyped for it? Yeah they never happened, either. I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason AO saw any upgrade to the engine at all is because they hoped if they dragged it out long enough, players would forget about and give up on it; only players never did.

They misled everyone with the super voice-acted and story-rich intro to AoC, but "forgot" to mention that that experience only lasted through the new player intro section. Long-timers will remember the debacle that was around here for a while.

They dropped announcement of SWL on everyone, including their own players, who had no clue such a massive "re-launch" was even in the plans. They screwed over players who had supported the game for years up to that point, who had stuck with them through some serious content draughts, happily let them believe new post-Tokyo content was being created behind the scenes. They required all those players to lose years of progress, so they could start all over from scratch. They topped off the insult with a slap to the face by saying "Oh, don't worry... if you want to play the original, you still can!".. conveniently "forgetting" to include the little detail that "TSW won't be receiving any more updates" in the process. SWL was effectively a big middle finger to their long-time supporters/players, in the form of a dumbed down, neutered, cash-grab bonanza.

Their one true love these days is Conan.

So, do they "unexpectedly" shut games down? No. But they're sure good at misleading and lying to their players while they're running. I'm not sure I'd say that's much better.