Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pagan Online Hands On Preview - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imagePagan Online Hands On Preview - MMORPG.com

We got the chance to sit down with the team from Pagan Online to go over some of the updates on the game making waves in the action RPG space. In a genre which continues to innovate and bring players together from a very hardcore community, Pagan Online is bringing a fresh take on the hack and slash nature of these titles. Created by Uros Banjesevic and the team at Mad Head Games, Pagan is published by Wargaming.net which turned a few heads when announced. Overall, the game looks to break new ground and so far we like what we see.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Was just wondering if anyone here had any info on this.

ARPG/Hack N Slash/Looter Shooter
    WASD movement
    MOBA style characters

This is a niche I think I can squeeze into
    3domScellow
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    The combat was satisfying and the WASD controls were nice. The classes were just not of interest for me.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    frostymug said:

WASD movement
    MOBA style characters

I am interested in this, especially if they capitalize on the MOBA style characters to have a huge long term roster (like Marvel Heroes).
  • WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I am skeptical of the game mechanics (wads and skill shot) but hopeful. Good luck to the team to pull it off.
    I am skeptical of the game mechanics (wads and skill shot) but hopeful. Good luck to the team to pull it off.
    Why? It's just traditional twin stick shooter controls. There is nothing new or untested about this kind of control scheme.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889

Aeander said:

frostymug said:

WASD movement

MOBA style characters

I am interested in this, especially if they capitalize on the MOBA style characters to have a huge long term roster (like Marvel Heroes).

Marvel Heroes had much better characters than an average MOBA. Thus I've played it for 10 months non-stop - compared to 1-2 weeks I've spent on MOBA games before uninstalling them. Now I just don't see any point to waste bandwidth downloading games with phone-quality graphics.

Thank you for your time!

3dom said:

Aeander said:

frostymug said:

WASD movement

MOBA style characters

Marvel Heroes had much better characters than an average MOBA. Thus I've played it for 10 months non-stop - compared to 1-2 weeks I've spent on MOBA games before uninstalling them. Now I just don't see any point to waste bandwidth downloading games with phone-quality graphics.
    Yes and no. Sometimes. It depends on the characters in question and the MOBA in question, because both Marvel Heroes and every MOBA are serious mixed bags.

There are MOBA characters with no depth at all. Basic kits designed for new players. Formulaic bruisers from the Season 1-2 days of League of Legends. Boring, poorly designed DotA characters like Wraith King.

There are, however, really innovative, well designed heroes that fit a lot of depth into a small number of keybinds. League of Legends has Twisted Fate, for example. DotA2 has Invoker. There are a ton of crazy kits in Smite. 

There were also serious inconsistencies in character quality for Marvel Heroes. It had intriguing kits, and also really basic ones. But almost every character suffered from unused skills, one-point-wonder passives, unintended exploits such as weaving, and lack of kit synergy.

Personally, I was a fan of the Omega reworks, as they improved kit designs, trimmed the fat, and added actual build diversity, but I have to acknowledge that the suddenness and extremeness of these reworks that far into the game's lifespan resulted in a huge backlash
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    edited March 2019
    If they have hardcore options, i'll think about it, but otherwise, it's already dead in the water to me. 

**Edited** the "to me" part. 
    Post edited by Cryomatrix on
    Aeander
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    In order to know that it is "coming to the market at the perfect time", you would need to know when it is coming. So then, when does the game launch?
  • KhegobierKhegobier Member UncommonPosts: 54
    I was all sorts of excited when I heard the name "Pagan Online" until I found out it has absolutely nothing to do with Ultima 8.
    Quizzical said:
    In order to know that it is "coming to the market at the perfect time", you would need to know when it is coming. So then, when does the game launch?
    If it comes at any time at which Diablo fans are still pissed off, it's coming to the market at the perfect time. Simple as that, really.
    WhiteLanternfrostymugCazriel
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Aeander said:
    Quizzical said:
    If it comes at any time at which Diablo fans are still pissed off, it's coming to the market at the perfect time. Simple as that, really.
    And as long as it is good, there's never a wrong time for a good game.
    Quizzical[Deleted User]infomatz
    frostymug said:
    Aeander said:
    Quizzical said:
    False. Right inbetween Call of Duty and Battlefield was a wrong time for Titanfall 2.
  • AndrewTheJoyfulAndrewTheJoyful Newbie CommonPosts: 29
    Is this ARPG like Diablo and PoE or what?
  • ShinobeShinobe Member UncommonPosts: 91
    I had a chance to look into the last Trial. I know it is Alpha.

WASD Movement was awful tbh. Specially with skill-shots (you dont "shoot" in the direction of the mouse, it is executed in the direction your char is facing which is strange when you can "move" diagonal)

From 3 classes you could choose at the beginning, you have to stick to the one you pick.

To get new classes you have to collect shards specific to that class, in the last trials the end boss of a dungeon (they call it Battle) had a chance to drop a random class specific shard. And you need between 90-100 shard for one new hero. At this rate it would take you weeks to get one new hero. I played for 5 hours and got 3 shard for a class i was not interested in, with no mechanism to trade this shard.

Some skills are shared between classes, for example you get a whirlwind with one, another class has the same skill just called differently.

The Barbarian style char was just "Spin to win" all other skills where nearly useless.

"Range Classes" are by far easier, because the boss mechanics for now is, throw a shiton of adds, Meteors everywhere and the boss has a melee AE skill. So you had to kite a lot not even able to do any damage and wait till the CD for Whirlwind was up.

You get lot of loot, but your bag is so limited that you cant take all with you.

For crafting you have to find a blueprint but you can just use it once.

The Battles are very short maps and you are forced to go into one direction, because most of the ways are blocked by walls.

Plus they prepared everything for Microtrans, for example the items you can equip (called crads), you are able to buy card packs.

Just a big nope, i know Alpha, lot can change but the direction the game is going, maybe a time consuming F2P or Browser Game.

Torchlight Frontier looks more solid and "free", of course that just my 2cents.

OzmodanTacticalZombeh
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398

frostymug said:

WASD movement

MOBA style characters

I feel like Battlerite should have tried to compete with PoE instead of going in with their Battle Royale

They missed a huge opportunity there..
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Aeander said:
    frostymug said:
    Aeander said:
    Quizzical said:
    False. Right inbetween Call of Duty and Battlefield was a wrong time for Titanfall 2.
    And it was so good too :/
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Graphically it sits in between Torchlight 2 & D3 for art style. I know that's a bummer for some of the photo realism lovers (go outside bro). I don't know why developers are against using darker atmosphere and grittier rendering engine options but it's not a deal breaker for me at least.

The combat seems A LOT more methodical compared to others of this type. I hope this is because the skills, effects, and passives are really deep and they want the player to be aware rather than mashing buttons or using macros for uptime.

The UI seem much more intuitive than the other games of this type as well. Kudos there.

There was literally a skeleton king in that second video so, it's a knock off but that's the fault of Blizzard for not protecting their brand and taking care of the player base.

Any developer that wants to make decent or great games of this ilk and spend time with me has my attention. Developer daddy issues. :D

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯