Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runes of Magic Invites Players to Its 10th Birthday Party - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageRunes of Magic Invites Players to Its 10th Birthday Party - MMORPG.com

From now through March 31st, Runes of Magic players can swing into the game to take part in a number of celebratory events in honor of its 10th birthday. This includes login events through March 19th and an exchange event beginning March 22nd. Players returning to the game will be able to check out all of the game improvements and new content, most notably in the form of the recently added Chapter V: Fires of the Shadowforge that includes the Shadowforge Dwarf race.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Rain_DeathravenRain_Deathraven Member UncommonPosts: 87
    I honestly forgot that this game exist...
    jazz.bemakevaliwingood
  • TakeoJusticeTakeoJustice Member UncommonPosts: 73
    For some reason, I thought this shutdown, seems I was wrong, haha.
    Ozmodanmakevali
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    This is pretty much what kicked off the free to play mmorpg, right? At least in the west. I know it’s the first game I remember without a subscription and I played it because it was so much like WoW visually without a sub. Didn’t stay long, but then again I didn’t stay in WoW long either. 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    This is pretty much what kicked off the free to play mmorpg, right? At least in the west. I know it’s the first game I remember without a subscription and I played it because it was so much like WoW visually without a sub. Didn’t stay long, but then again I didn’t stay in WoW long either. 
    It garnered traction for F2P MMORPG's, but I would say Runescape and Maplestory were quite a bit before ROM and helped pave the way for future F2P MMORPG's in the west. 
    KyleranOzmodan
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2019
    It is far from f2p,yes you can as i did get through most of the quests and attain the end level that way but the real hard content requires a LOT of spending.Sad when content is gaited behind a paywall.
    The game could be really good if they fixed the cash shop and tweaked the game to remove the p2w but they would never go that route now.it would also need a graphic update to go with losing the terrible p2w.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    10 years old and with the same memory leaks it had at launch. Long play causes the game to crash a lot. 
    Ozmodan
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    The game had a lot of rough edges, but it was fun.  To sad that this is one where if you don't put in real money you aren't going to do much though.  Huge differences in people that spend tons of money an those that just spend what a monthly sub would have cost.  That is what you expect though with F2P.
    Kyleran
  • achmedeachmede Member UncommonPosts: 215
    edited March 2019
    How did this mmorpg not shutdown by now is beyond me ...
    makevali
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Recently added Chapter V: Fires of the Shadowforge that includes the Shadowforge Dwarf race.

that wasnt like years ago? Oo
  • achmedeachmede Member UncommonPosts: 215

Warlyx said:

Recently added Chapter V: Fires of the Shadowforge that includes the Shadowforge Dwarf race.

that wasnt like years ago? Oo

Yea 6 years ago.
    This publisher is worse then EA...
    KyleranOzmodan
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Wizardry said:
    It is far from f2p,yes you can as i did get through most of the quests and attain the end level that way but the real hard content requires a LOT of spending.Sad when content is gaited behind a paywall.
    The game could be really good if they fixed the cash shop and tweaked the game to remove the p2w but they would never go that route now.it would also need a graphic update to go with losing the terrible p2w.
    I recall my guild leader letting me know in order to begin raiding I should plan to spend about $600 with more to come in the future. 

As my son and I were playing together it meant $1200  so we quit and went elsewhere.
    Ozmodan

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TeakStrangiatoTeakStrangiato Member UncommonPosts: 34

Deyirn said:

Can't blame you, there isn't one thing that's outstanding or memorable about it. It's just a Chinese WoW clone from a time when WoW Cloning was a fad.

False. It had dual classing, which is something missing from MMORPGs. FFXI is the only other one I can think of with it.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193

Deyirn said:

Can't blame you, there isn't one thing that's outstanding or memorable about it. It's just a Chinese WoW clone from a time when WoW Cloning was a fad.

False. It had dual classing, which is something missing from MMORPGs. FFXI is the only other one I can think of with it.
    I think rift had something to that effect.
    Kyleran
  • TeakStrangiatoTeakStrangiato Member UncommonPosts: 34
    edited March 2019

Deyirn said:

Eh I guess you could argue mix and match talent trees is multi classing. You never actually level as a specific soul though, its just toss points anywhere, then level and toss more points anywhere. Its not, be a warden for a while, level as a warrior a bit, then go back to warden but now its stronger because you've leveled warrior.
    Rift would have benefitted greatly with unique skills for soul pairings, like x points in both trees gets you a synergistic ability for that pairing. RoM has skills unique to each pairing.

I also felt Rifts individual souls were mostly shallow, but then RoM isn't exactly known for class depth either.

I have a huge issues with FFXIV. It lets you learn all the classes but whatever class you are playing gets zero value from anything else you've learned. Crafting fares a bit better at least.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Deyirn said:

Eh I guess you could argue mix and match talent trees is multi classing. You never actually level as a specific soul though, its just toss points anywhere, then level and toss more points anywhere. Its not, be a warden for a while, level as a warrior a bit, then go back to warden but now its stronger because you've leveled warrior.
    Rift would have benefitted greatly with unique skills for soul pairings, like x points in both trees gets you a synergistic ability for that pairing. RoM has skills unique to each pairing.

I also felt Rifts individual souls were mostly shallow, but then RoM isn't exactly known for class depth either.

I have a huge issues with FFXIV. It lets you learn all the classes but whatever class you are playing gets zero value from anything else you've learned. Crafting fares a bit better at least.
    Doesn't DDO have dual classing  as you described?  The old single player games did.
    Ozmodan

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon