Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Classic Will be Split Into Six Phases Starting with Onyxia & Molten Core - MMORPG

2»

Comments

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited March 2019
    Tamanous said:
    Classic is NOT just a raiding game. That's it's entire draw.

It may be a draw for some players, but I really don’t see it ending up any other way unless your intention is  just to level up over and over again. I feel sorry for anyone who does not realize this is just another quick cash grab scheme. The company has shown very little regard for anything other than money over the last few expansions. It doesnt even matter who is working on the game when your boss is all about “do more with less,” imo.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Best thing comming in MMOs in 2019...this says a lot. 
    PalebaneNilden
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    It seems they are going back to 40 man dungeons, now that is stupid!
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Tamanous said:

Now tell me, what current new game ever drops with 1.5+ years of already developed content? 

Classic is no longer 1.5+ years of content.  It has been done before and it is not like people will be figuring it out for the first time all over again.  People will be more efficient, experimenting with talent trees will not be required, figuring out raid mechanics will not longer be needed as all of that information is available.  If they were not time gating the content then you would be looking at 6 months tops for alot of folks and 8-10 even for the most casual of players.

This is not a new game and no new game would drop with that much content either.  There was a time I was looking very forward to this but no longer want to support Blizzard with a sub so will not be playing.  There is zero reason to time gate the content.  If the raids and whatnot are the same then you have to progress in a certain order anyways.

All this will do is take developers away from other projects such as trying to reverse the fuck up known as BFA

The only reason for this is to increase subscription times period.  They will milk the classic cow for all she got.
    It will be interesting to see how much retention this gets.  I think the percent of people who will burn through the content is pretty small but will it appeal to a wider audience?  I don’t know.  I’m honestly starting to get interested if I can get the old group to join.  

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Tamanous said:

Now tell me, what current new game ever drops with 1.5+ years of already developed content? 

Classic is no longer 1.5+ years of content.  It has been done before and it is not like people will be figuring it out for the first time all over again.  People will be more efficient, experimenting with talent trees will not be required, figuring out raid mechanics will not longer be needed as all of that information is available.  If they were not time gating the content then you would be looking at 6 months tops for alot of folks and 8-10 even for the most casual of players.

This is not a new game and no new game would drop with that much content either.  There was a time I was looking very forward to this but no longer want to support Blizzard with a sub so will not be playing.  There is zero reason to time gate the content.  If the raids and whatnot are the same then you have to progress in a certain order anyways.

All this will do is take developers away from other projects such as trying to reverse the fuck up known as BFA

The only reason for this is to increase subscription times period.  They will milk the classic cow for all she got.
    It will be interesting to see how much retention this gets.  I think the percent of people who will burn through the content is pretty small but will it appeal to a wider audience?  I don’t know.  I’m honestly starting to get interested if I can get the old group to join.  
    It will be a lot of fun.

How long it lasts doesn't really matter :)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    I am going to guess that the VAST majority of people that play classic will be like me and have never played Vanilla before. The only question that matters is, How long will people keep playing it. The retention rate will be very interesting. 
    Palebane said:
    Tamanous said:

It may be a draw for some players, but I really don’t see it ending up any other way unless your intention is  just to level up over and over again. I feel sorry for anyone who does not realize this is just another quick cash grab scheme. The company has shown very little regard for anything other than money over the last few expansions. It doesnt even matter who is working on the game when your boss is all about “do more with less,” imo.
    The Cash grab comment drives me crazy. People have been begging, begging, begging for years for them to make a Vanilla server. Finally they are going to do it at great time and cost and you call it a cash grab. They have been working on it for over a year, but it is a cash grab. That is one of the dumbest comments ever. 

A cash grab is what Lotro did. Take the current game lower xp gains and cap level at 50 then open the servers. That Probally took them an hour to get that running. That is a cash grab. 

I understand Blizzard had completely messed up current WOW, that's why people want Vanilla. I get that people don't trust them but calling this a cash grab is idiotic.
    This is how progression servers work. I don't see the problem with this. Private servers don't charge money and they work this way. Is it a cash grab for them? Sorry you are wrong on this. Nothing would surprise me with Blizzard and monetizing classic but this case is not a cash grab. If they opened everything at once they would essentially break the game. 
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited March 2019
    Palebane said:
    Tamanous said:

So what you are saying is: You have absolutely no clue what is going on with private servers, the massive Classic fan base and you like to talk about shit you know nothing about.

Well, I guess you're allowed to do so.

See you in Classic!
    mmolouPalebane

You stay sassy!

edited March 2019
    vtravi said:
    This is how progression servers work. I don't see the problem with this. Private servers don't charge money and they work this way. Is it a cash grab for them? Sorry you are wrong on this. Nothing would surprise me with Blizzard and monetizing classic but this case is not a cash grab. If they opened everything at once they would essentially break the game. 
    This is not a progression server though.  This is a pre-BC server and is not unless news comes to indicate otherwise, a server which will see anything added post Naxx.

I do not believe it is a cash grab as they are giving folks what they want.  Agree with Torval though that time gating content which has a certain progression order anyway to be able to clear is to string out subs. 
    Progression is being used in relation to the delayed content and gear roll out within Classic itself. He was not referencing the progression to additional expansions.

The progressive content within Classic is delayed due to a VERY careful balance of ensuring powerful gear upgrades in all areas of the game (pvp, raid, quests, dungeons, rep, etc) do not cause balance issues if released at the wrong times.

It is a completely logical release schedule. It has nothing to do with stringing out subs.

You CAN'T have Dire Maul released prior to Molten Core because the blues in DM are better than much of the gear in MC. So what would the f'ing point be of doing MC then?

You CAN'T have BWL come out at the same time as ZG because ZG offers some gear that trivializes BWL gear and offers world buffs for raids that further trivializes BWL.

You CAN'T have Green Dragons release at the same time as AQ because they are meant to provide nature resist gear for the AQ raid itself and meant to have already been farmed.

There are stages in Classic where Blizzard flat out put in catch up gear for new or non-raiders that would trivialize the entire progression curve.

This 6 stage release schedule was nearly a f'ing online campaign by Classic lovers to have it changed from the initial 4 step plan which would have ruined the game. Everyone, who knows anything about how Classic works, is jumping for joy over this news.

I suggest some of you do your research, and adjust your reality.
    mmolou

You stay sassy!

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I wish this would go ahead and launch already.

I'm so ready.

I gots the plans I do. I gots the plans.
    vtravi
    Torval said:
    Yes, apparently it is a time-locked progression server. I hadn't been expecting that until now. That isn't a deal breaker for me, but I still think it's a mistake and definitely about stringing subs along.

I'm still undecided. I actually played first gen MMOs so playing a vanilla second gen MMO isn't really a return to magical yesteryear for me. I like a lot of old school mechanics, but I also hate a lot of the clunky crude aspects. There were as many things wrong with 1st or 2nd gen MMOs as there are modern MMOs. They were just different problems. Plus, my current anniversary visit to LotRO has reminded me why MMOs are getting so boring to me.
    Yep. When I was young I bought my music on vinyl, watched my movies at my local movie house, watched my television shows at their convenience along with however many commercials they could cram in, and played my video games at the local arcade. I have some grand memories from those days, but compared to the convenience of today's world I have no desire to go back. 

Same with classic wow. I enjoyed the time I spent there, but this won't be a true return to those times. The people and circumstances that shaped those experiences won't be there. Instead people will just be jumping through inconvenient hoops to chew old cabbage in the vain hope of reliving past glories. 
    Again the VAST majority of the people who will be playing never played Vanilla way back when, myself included. They will be playing because it is a much better product than any MMO out now. I have been playing the last year on private servers and I can't believe how much better the leveling experience is to anything else i have played since Lotro SoA . This isn't nostalgia for most people who will try the server. The question is will all these people new to Vanilla stick with it? 
    It is perfectly fine to enjoy the nostalgia.

At the end of your nostalgic feelings, you will discover a game still worth playing. That's the point. Classic Wow is a damn good game. Your nostalgic feelz are your own. They belong to nobody else. Enjoy it, then continue playing a damn good game.

You stay sassy!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    vtravi said:
    Torval said:
    Yes, apparently it is a time-locked progression server. I hadn't been expecting that until now. That isn't a deal breaker for me, but I still think it's a mistake and definitely about stringing subs along.

I'm still undecided. I actually played first gen MMOs so playing a vanilla second gen MMO isn't really a return to magical yesteryear for me. I like a lot of old school mechanics, but I also hate a lot of the clunky crude aspects. There were as many things wrong with 1st or 2nd gen MMOs as there are modern MMOs. They were just different problems. Plus, my current anniversary visit to LotRO has reminded me why MMOs are getting so boring to me.
    Yep. When I was young I bought my music on vinyl, watched my movies at my local movie house, watched my television shows at their convenience along with however many commercials they could cram in, and played my video games at the local arcade. I have some grand memories from those days, but compared to the convenience of today's world I have no desire to go back. 

Same with classic wow. I enjoyed the time I spent there, but this won't be a true return to those times. The people and circumstances that shaped those experiences won't be there. Instead people will just be jumping through inconvenient hoops to chew old cabbage in the vain hope of reliving past glories. 
    Again the VAST majority of the people who will be playing never played Vanilla way back when, myself included. They will be playing because it is a much better product than any MMO out now. I have been playing the last year on private servers and I can't believe how much better the leveling experience is to anything else i have played since Lotro SoA . This isn't nostalgia for most people who will try the server. The question is will all these people new to Vanilla stick with it? 
    They won't stick with it.

The server "model" worked at the turn of the century because MMOs were a niche genre with very dedicated players: they would stick around for a long while (especially given the lack of alternatives)
    Nowadays it doesn't work. There is an optimal level of population — assuming we don't get phasing forever and super-massive servers which would not be vanilla since the server's community would be too big to recapture the same feeling of knowing each other — below which the server will be too barren to enjoy and above which too crowded. When a big chunk of players will realize they don't like it an move on to something else, some servers will die because of they will be bleeding players, others will thrive; whether you will find yourself on a "good" server or you will have to pay for a character transfer it is entirely based on luck.

Ultimately the number of servers will be culled, some people will be outraged and others will have seen it coming.
    [Deleted User]
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I am curious how many people are actually going to stick with it. I mean once they hit phase 6 that is suppose to be it. They are not suppose to be adding more content because you know that isn't classic. Think to many people see it through rose tinted glasses. I loved playing wow back when it came out, but I really don't think I could go back and do it again. I hope it works out for those that are looking forward to it though.
    [Deleted User]