Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight Frontiers: What I Think So Far - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageTorchlight Frontiers: What I Think So Far - MMORPG.com

I’ve seen two schools of thought with Torchlight Frontiers so far: one that loves the core of the game, even with its rough edges - and one that thinks it’s lacking the fun of the original two. Me? I’m somewhere in between. On one hand, I love what Torchlight Frontiers is aiming to become, and on the other I know this is Alpha and that the game is missing a lot of content and features are in flux.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426
    You don't actually have to constantly switch between frontiers. You can pick one and progress through it as much as you want. When you are done with it you can move to the other. This basically means you have to maintain one set and just switch between sets when you occasionally switch frontiers and not constantly switch between sets as you constantly go to either one.
    Kajidourdenk61977markus1902[Deleted User]RueTheWhirl
  • Rain_DeathravenRain_Deathraven Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Nice Facebook game!
    SBFordFlyByKnight[Deleted User]3dommarkus1902VitaminKjarsku85RueTheWhirltoma2006
  • coleman11bcoleman11b Member UncommonPosts: 76
    The Frontiers thing is pretty clunky sounding. It seems like a design choice to artificially lengthen the time it takes for content locusts to "finish" the game. Now you can look forward to farming up multiple BIS sets instead of just one.
    [Deleted User]bamwallajimmywolf
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    The way this game feels for me is similar to how ESO felt when it was first released. There were many things in that game that did not feel like the single player versions for MMO reasons. I expect this game to evolve nicely just like ESO did over the next couple years.
    HarikenAlomar[Deleted User]
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331

Nice Facebook game!

These comments often come from folks who never played either of the first 2 TL games. Just another case of speaking with no knowledge of the topic, it reveals so much about the poster.
    LiljnaHarikenKnurz
  • Rain_DeathravenRain_Deathraven Member UncommonPosts: 87

cmacq said:

Nice Facebook game!

These comments often come from folks who never played either of the first 2 TL games. Just another case of speaking with no knowledge of the topic, it reveals so much about the poster.

My opinion dude.Looks like a Facebook game to me.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited March 2019

elveone said:

You don't actually have to constantly switch between frontiers. You can pick one and progress through it as much as you want. When you are done with it you can move to the other. This basically means you have to maintain one set and just switch between sets when you occasionally switch frontiers and not constantly switch between sets as you constantly go to either one.

On top of this, people have done the testing and there's no reason you can't go into goblin frontier with gear from hyvid and be totally fine. The elemental stats aren't very heavy, and the damage mostly comes from being a putz and standing in the bad.

Sounds to me like Bill never bothered to actually test this and instead just decided to comment based on theory. Which, I get it....time and all, but at least be transparent about it.

Also, you retain your relic weapon progress, skill unlocks, and passive bonuses.
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Ugh. Still in alpha and promising no more character wipes with only 2 classes in game.
    So, no fresh economy at launch. Now you are getting penalized for waiting for a game to launch.

Plus, it's "Free"* to play from PWE. That is more than a little scary.
    ScotHarikenAlomarblack_isle[Deleted User]jimmywolfelveone

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    So out in six months, a year?
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331

cmacq said:

Nice Facebook game!

My opinion dude.Looks like a Facebook game to me.

Yes and a very uninformed one at that.
    Harikenelveonemarkus1902jimmywolf
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    If it doesn't have a PC UI, if once again PC players are required to deal with a sub-optimal console UI port, as excited as I am for TLF, I may just skip it.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I have to admit that i'm on the fence with this because of Perfect Wallet Entertainment.
    black_isle

DMKano said:

Making this into a mmo was a bad design decision, I am completely failing to see the benefits compared to TL1/2.

The entire time in alpha never did it feel exciting to play. It just felt so damn uninspired - I just kept thinking - maybe it will get better, sadly it didnt. There is no "soul" to this game, it just feels really flat in execution

Yes its alpha - but I am afraid for me to play this when it launches - they would have to redo pretty much everything.

Oh well - was excited before, but this was a letdown for me.

Should have focused on depth of class builds and depth of gear, not MMO aspects imo

It needs some more layers added to it, I agree. I had the opposite experience though, I really enjoyed my time playing it. The combat was great, although the Dusk mage needs some work because most of the time it just makes more sense to spam unholy bolt atm and that got boring. I switched to the forged and it felt MUCH better.

I'm not totally smitten but I'm looking forward to what else they do with it between now and release. It's still not quite the aRPG I would like to see (Lost Ark) but it's a step up from the grim dawn/PoE half-assed efforts are animation/skills that I can't take seriously.
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    I don't understand the point of going mmo with this instead of old fashioned co op like most arpg....not sure what it added but I may have missed something
    [Deleted User]RueTheWhirl
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    If nothing else all this talk about Frontiers motivated me to re-install Torchlight II for the first time in about 5 years and I'm having a blast.
    Tokken
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    I wonder if it'll have an in-depth summoner class.  Sadly I doubt it because as an MMO, it then would have to put up with the possibility and server load of multiple summoners in the same area.

Marvel Heroes managed to kinda pull that off but eventually it nerfed the summon counts of everyone over time.  Also, its combat system made the summons feel like mostly just DPS ghosts rather than minions who'd tank for you and you'd look out for their life bars or support.
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426

Tiamat64 said:

I wonder if it'll have an in-depth summoner class.  Sadly I doubt it because as an MMO, it then would have to put up with the possibility and server load of multiple summoners in the same area.

Marvel Heroes managed to kinda pull that off but eventually it nerfed the summon counts of everyone over time.  Also, its combat system made the summons feel like mostly just DPS ghosts rather than minions who'd tank for you and you'd look out for their life bars or support.

The only summoning skill at the moment summons a bunch of netherlings that last for just a few seconds. The skill is pretty meh in terms of damage but the summons take quite a few hits and are useful as temporary meat shields.

Kajidourden, IMO the ultimate combo for Dusk Mage atm is energy spike + a lot of knockback from equipment. It is overpowered as hell.
    I don't understand the point of going mmo with this instead of old fashioned co op like most arpg....not sure what it added but I may have missed something
    Honestly I don't know why they chose that term for it....as someone who is in the alpha it is basically just an aRPG with some shared spaces.  There's not much about it that makes it an MMO, except for the online part.  I'm interested to see what kinds of content they come up with going forward though.  I could definitely see myself enjoying aRPG-style raids for instance.   
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    If nothing else all this talk about Frontiers motivated me to re-install Torchlight II for the first time in about 5 years and I'm having a blast.
    Straight or modded? There are a couple of conversion mods that are really good too, if you're playing vanilla. Added classes, tweaked mechanics, etc. Synergies is good, but there are more. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136232408
    Vanilla ATM but I'll check out the mods. Thanks.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• VitaminKVitaminK Member UncommonPosts: 76
    This is Torchlight in name only. Completely dumbed down for the masses.
    Rain_Deathraven
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    VitaminK said:
    Really? .. because Torchlight is pretty dumbed down as it is compared to other aRPGs. Frontiers looks to have way more features and systems than the other TL games.
    Kajidourdenelveone
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    VitaminK said:
    I don't think you understand what dumbed down means, or you think Torchlight was rocket science to begin with. Either way...
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    I really liked Torchlight (1 and 2). Fun games. Is this one buy to play, sub, or some sort of microtransaction setup? Because, if door #3, afraid I'm pretty unlikely to go through it...
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    edited March 2019
    It sucks that you guys are now calling games that host a max of 14 players in an area mmo. Pretty soon we wont even need mmo sites as even super mario world on the snes will be classified as an mmo.
    Ricardo5802
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

VitaminK said:

The same exact thing was said about ESO when it came out and now a few years later it is apparently the #1 MMORPG.

If you look at the history of PWE it doesn't seem like they would agree to anything TL unless they made a long term agreement for every last detail. This includes development and of course monetization. I'm not expecting perfection with this game and will be happy with a 6/10 game as long as it's fun to play and doesn't ask me to sign over the pink slip for my car. I'd bet a few dollars that they are looking at both the way PoE monetizes and games like MH did to not make the same mistakes.