Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is going on right now with Pantheon ?

2»

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Brizlyn said:
    DMKano said:
    Even with all things learned and with better efficiency to complete all zones as feature complete and fully fleshed out before launch is going to take years to complete at this point.

What's the launch date now... 2024?

Unless they want to go the half-baked Vanguard route where its "release soon, fix and finish later" and risk alienating their core playerbase 

Having said all that- I really hope they can pull this reference zone off and to where it all comes together in a cohesive immersive experience. 

If the reference zone fails to grab attention and looks more like the tired old 20 year old eq1-carbon copy gameplay they've been showing so far - maybe Panthon wont be all that
    It's crazy to think that when this game started development, one of my kids was 8 years old.  When this game releases, if it does, my kid might be 18 years old and heading off to college or a full time job.  Maybe the game will take long enough to release that I'll be retired from work by the time it does, and I can pull 12 hour sessions!  Cup half full :D
    10 years based on?

Having experience in the industry - well that will count for something; if you are familiar with other developments that can be considered "near neighbours" - that will count for something as well; if you are a project manager or better still an estimator - that counts especially if you have experience and training and maybe have been able to put progress monitoring in place - that absolutely counts and if you have internal knowledge of things like how many staff they have, what they have achieved so far and so forth - that will count for quite a lot.

If you have simply put your finger in the air and come up with a number though - well that is a crap way of coming up with a target.

And sadly you sometimes get the idea that the instigators of crowdfunded campaign don't have the detailed knowledge of what it takes to get to the end point. An idea - probably but a good idea - probably not. 

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited March 2019
    Xiaoki said:
    Theirs nothing on Mars for us,
    It's a waist of tax payers money !
    This is one the wrongest wrongs to ever be wronged.

Brought to you by @delete5230

The space race in the 1960s gave us so many advancements in technology and computer science that its hard to imagine what life would be like today without it.

To get to Mars safely and in a timely manner we would need to create a lot of new technology or make tremendous leaps in existing tech which would then filter into everyday use.
    100% sure you yourself will not benefit from anything that will come from space exploration.  Yet you have to fund it with your tax dollars $
    craftseeker
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    svann said:
    lahnmir said:
    In my line of work I have absolute freedom to go where I want and when I want to, on how I do my job and what I need to do it with. I can do whatever the heck I want to, as long as I meet my targets. And guess what? Those targets all have deadlines, they are the entire structure my career is based upon. Not having any is beyond unpofessional to me.

If you can actually meet those deadlines is another discussion though.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Totally agree.  I used to have deadlines too.  But that was between me and my boss.  The future customer didnt have the right to demand to know my schedule and deadlines.

Hmm.....

If the customer who is paying "you" has a contract that includes "progress updates" - and a lot of development projects do - then you will have a choice: provide the schedules or don't get paid. 

Broaden the scope however and its not just development projects and a formal contractual requirement for schedule info. If you are making something - a tin of beans or building a house - then "customers" tend to get very interested if you don't deliver on time. Walmart might start asking why its soda delivery hasn't turned up; you might want to know how your builder is going to deliver your extension in a week when they haven't started the walls. 

Which is a roundabout way of saying if someone comes and wants to know your bosses (work) schedule then your boss will want to know - and will report up.

Crowdfunded projects basically fall into the latter. Even if the developer has said that they will be open and report etc. They don't "need" to provide schedules and report on them but if they don't - well backers don't need to fund them.

And other than the zealots who like the vision and are prepared to get behind it and stick it out until its delivered or dies most of the other backers want to see "evidence" that the game is going to release. Some will just want a bit of info, some will only come on board when release is certain etc. The key point however is evidence of progress is needed.

So whilst you may not have to report your schedule - the people behind game developments like Pantheon absolutely need to.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    gervaise1 said:
    svann said:
    lahnmir said:
    In my line of work I have absolute freedom to go where I want and when I want to, on how I do my job and what I need to do it with. I can do whatever the heck I want to, as long as I meet my targets. And guess what? Those targets all have deadlines, they are the entire structure my career is based upon. Not having any is beyond unpofessional to me.

If you can actually meet those deadlines is another discussion though.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Totally agree.  I used to have deadlines too.  But that was between me and my boss.  The future customer didnt have the right to demand to know my schedule and deadlines.

Hmm.....

If the customer who is paying "you" has a contract that includes "progress updates" -
    Which you do not.
    Kylerancraftseeker
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    edited March 2019

Theirs nothing on Mars for us,
    It's a waist of tax payers money !
    Err, compared to, say, the military ? I beg to differ.

P.s.: Or compared to a certain wall !

100% sure you yourself will not benefit from anything that will come from space exploration.  Yet you have to fund it with your tax dollars $
    We all benefit from scientific advancement.

craftseekermcd6993
  • BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81
    gervaise1 said:
    Brizlyn said:
    DMKano said:
    Even with all things learned and with better efficiency to complete all zones as feature complete and fully fleshed out before launch is going to take years to complete at this point.

What's the launch date now... 2024?

Unless they want to go the half-baked Vanguard route where its "release soon, fix and finish later" and risk alienating their core playerbase 

Having said all that- I really hope they can pull this reference zone off and to where it all comes together in a cohesive immersive experience. 

If the reference zone fails to grab attention and looks more like the tired old 20 year old eq1-carbon copy gameplay they've been showing so far - maybe Panthon wont be all that
    It's crazy to think that when this game started development, one of my kids was 8 years old.  When this game releases, if it does, my kid might be 18 years old and heading off to college or a full time job.  Maybe the game will take long enough to release that I'll be retired from work by the time it does, and I can pull 12 hour sessions!  Cup half full :D
    10 years based on?

Having experience in the industry - well that will count for something; if you are familiar with other developments that can be considered "near neighbours" - that will count for something as well; if you are a project manager or better still an estimator - that counts especially if you have experience and training and maybe have been able to put progress monitoring in place - that absolutely counts and if you have internal knowledge of things like how many staff they have, what they have achieved so far and so forth - that will count for quite a lot.

If you have simply put your finger in the air and come up with a number though - well that is a crap way of coming up with a target.

And sadly you sometimes get the idea that the instigators of crowdfunded campaign don't have the detailed knowledge of what it takes to get to the end point. An idea - probably but a good idea - probably not. 

I was just taking DMKano's guess of 2024 launch, and subtracting the year development started (2014), which would be 10 years.  I started following this game in 2014, right in the beginning.  Sure the development was mostly conceptual at that time, but it still counts.