Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With 355k Apex Legends Cheaters Banned Already, Apex Legends Devs Say They've Just Begun - MMORPG.co

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageWith 355k Apex Legends Cheaters Banned Already, Apex Legends Devs Say They've Just Begun - MMORPG.com

In a new post on the Apex Legends Reddit, Community Manager Jay Frechette has revealed that over 355K cheaters have been banned since the game opened using "Easy-Anti-Cheat". While this is impressive in and of itself, Frechette also said that it is only the beginning. "We are working on improvements to combat cheaters," Frechette wrote. To do so, devs are working "directly with experts, both within and outside EA" as well as prepping a report feature for PC players.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Easy Anti-Cheat is such a crap program and I guess it's easy for people to cheat with it as well...
    It's really nice that they are banning so much accounts, but this sounds like a ridiculous number... why do I feel like a lot of people who haven't cheated got banned as well.
    During The Division 2 beta I tried logging in with a VPN and couldn't because EAC was preventing me from using VPN, so I would assume that just as this program can't recognize a VPN it will probably give false positive on other programs.
    Btw I haven't played a lot of Apex Legends(probably 2-3 hours tops since I'm not into the genre), but I haven't encountered a single cheater, which is Bizarre considering the number of banned accounts.
    szharpervelimirius[Deleted User]
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    EA's experts are probably looking at ways to monetize this "cheating problem", lol
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Easy Anti-Cheat is such a crap program and I guess it's easy for people to cheat with it as well...
    It's really nice that they are banning so much accounts, but this sounds like a ridiculous number... why do I feel like a lot of people who haven't cheated got banned as well.
    During The Division 2 beta I tried logging in with a VPN and couldn't because EAC was preventing me from using VPN, so I would assume that just as this program can't recognize a VPN it will probably give false positive on other programs.
    Btw I haven't played a lot of Apex Legends(probably 2-3 hours tops since I'm not into the genre), but I haven't encountered a single cheater, which is Bizarre considering the number of banned accounts.
    So your conclusion from your total maximum play time of three hours it that there are no cheaters in Apex Legends.  Therefore an anti-cheat application is unnecessary.  
    szharper[Deleted User]
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited March 2019
    350,000 cheaters holy cow! Imagine if those development resources could be used elsewhere. I feel the same about the military and religion though. Its tough being an idealist.
    ThennianWhiteLantern

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    edited March 2019
    I seem to remember a headline that this game hit 25 Million players in week one.... 355,000+ banned for cheating isn't exactly a huge number. Since 10% of 25 Million would still be 2.5 Million and 1% would be 250,000... the percentage seems to be easily believed. You are talking under 2% of the total week one players *.*

Seems the odds would be high that you might not encounter a cheater....
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Antarious said:
    I seem to remember a headline that this game hit 25 Million players in week one.... 355,000+ banned for cheating isn't exactly a huge number. Since 10% of 25 Million would still be 2.5 Million and 1% would be 250,000... the percentage seems to be easily believed. You are talking under 2% of the total week one players *.*

Try 50M players at the 28-day mark... ;)

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-47211771
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Antarious said:

Try 50M players at the 28-day mark... ;)

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-47211771
    It's good that the Titanfall team get the recognition they deserve.
    They make good FPSs
    rertezrojoArcueid[Deleted User]Xarktardvelimiriushfztt

..Cake..

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230

I suppose the majority of cheaters have climbed to a higher tier than a player who played 2-3 hours tops. That could explain why you didn't face notorious cheaters if a matchmaking system was in place at all. This is just my assumption that cheaters must have been enjoying a higher mmr than they would normally have. That's the point of cheating I guess.

Grunty said:

So your conclusion from your total maximum play time of three hours it that there are no cheaters in Apex Legends.  Therefore an anti-cheat application is unnecessary.  

I'm quite curious where I said that an anti-cheat application is unnecessary? I know that English isn't my first language, but I believe that I was fairly clear and what I meant was that the application is crap because it blocks legit programs. With that in mind and the unrealistic 355k number it's more probable that a lot of people got banned without a reason due to programs on their PC that this crappy program detects as a threat. If you are wondering what programs for example programs for your mouse and keyboard are the most common programs where anti-cheat detect them as cheating.

Also what I suggested was that 355k accounts is just a ridiculous number. I mean I know Apex Legends has a really big playerbase, but come on... With 2 million concurrent players(might be more now no idea, but even it's more it's not a lot more)I doubt that nearly 1/5 are cheaters(saying 1/5 because it's obvious that if someone is willing to cheat in a game they are among the concurrent players).

@Antarious True if you look at the overall playerbase it's not that much, but logic dictates that people who are willing to cheat are usually those that play the game and not people like me that have 2-3 hours and are just 1 of the 50 mil graph , so when you put that 355k number you should put it against the 2 mil concurrent players.

@rertez it's possible that my MM is low, but I've been matched with people with 2-3-4k kills, so honestly I'm not sure if there is a MM system or rather at least until last week.

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    Palebane said:
    350,000 cheaters holy cow! Imagine if those development resources could be used elsewhere. I feel the same about the military and religion though. Its tough being an idealist.
    Being an optimist here, but I wonder if that is even half of the population that is currently playing Anthem? It kind of makes you wonder which game would have been  better off as a ftp game and which one would of made tons of money had it been a paid for model.
    Palebane
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    that is why I avoid these games, the cheating is so rampant.  It is like the parents forgot to teach their kids that cheating is immoral.  
    kertin
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    edited March 2019

Grunty said:

I'm quite curious where I said that an anti-cheat application is unnecessary? I know that English isn't my first language, but I believe that I was fairly clear and what I meant was that the application is crap because it blocks legit programs. With that in mind and the unrealistic 355k number it's more probable that a lot of people got banned without a reason due to programs on their PC that this crappy program detects as a threat. If you are wondering what programs for example programs for your mouse and keyboard are the most common programs where anti-cheat detect them as cheating.

Also what I suggested was that 355k accounts is just a ridiculous number. I mean I know Apex Legends has a really big playerbase, but come on... With 2 million concurrent players(might be more now no idea, but even it's more it's not a lot more)I doubt that nearly 1/5 are cheaters(saying 1/5 because it's obvious that if someone is willing to cheat in a game they are among the concurrent players).

@Antarious True if you look at the overall playerbase it's not that much, but logic dictates that people who are willing to cheat are usually those that play the game and not people like me that have 2-3 hours and are just 1 of the 50 mil graph , so when you put that 355k number you should put it against the 2 mil concurrent players.

@rertez it's possible that my MM is low, but I've been matched with people with 2-3-4k kills, so honestly I'm not sure if there is a MM system or rather at least until last week.

Just to put it in perspective, CSGO has had ban waves of more than 600,000 users. Just back in December they banned 600k players. The game only usually has around 600k players online at a time so your statement doesn't really make sense.

355k seems to make sense to me, they are jumping in and taking action against cheaters which they should be. The second something gets big, and if it's free, cheats are rampant. It doesn't matter what Anti-Cheat you use. People don't have to worry about dropping more money to play again.

I've had at least 5 or 6 games where I've felt like someone was cheating, just by prefires that make no sense. I've watched a couple youtube streams of cheaters as well just to see how bad the cheats were, they were all using wall hacks to outline locations for everyone (one or two were using aim hacks as well).
  • crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Does it really matter in a f2p game where you can just make another account for free and play again.....
    PalebanePsym0nThahar
  • AwakenWarriorAwakenWarrior Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Unfortunately there are always many cheaters in f2p game. So, devs have to work with anti-cheat all time, because new cheats are created very fast.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Breaking news!

355k cheaters leave Fortnight over anti-cheatng mechanics for Apex Legends only to be banned!
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ozmodan said:
    that is why I avoid these games, the cheating is so rampant.  It is like the parents forgot to teach their kids that cheating is immoral.  
    “Shoot him in the face Timmy, SHOOT HIM IN THE FACE FFS!! But not with aimbot Timmy, BAD kid!”

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Psym0n
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2019
    They will absolutely NEVER remove it and that is why i have lost interest in pvp gaming completely...100% have no interest in pvp.Even within the game i am playing "Atlas"i couldn't believe some of the cheats being used and why i chose PVE servers,i was like wtf,some i never expected but of course i knew were possible but figured highly unlikely.
    Cheating became an epidemic 20 years ago back in the late 90's and has never stopped and nobody has been able to remove it from gaming.

The ONLY way to stop cheating and even then i am not certain it could 100% remove it is to utilize on the fly file checking but that would cause a lot of lag and IMPOSSIBLE to check 100's of GB in mere seconds.I remember 10+ years ago reading stuff about SRO cheating and how programs were able to redirect the cheat check so it couldn't detect the cheat code.

So we can expect cheating to last another 100 years.

Remove the BRAGGING platforms like ranks and you might at least thwart it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    lahnmir said:
    Ozmodan said:
    “Shoot him in the face Timmy, SHOOT HIM IN THE FACE FFS!! But not with aimbot Timmy, BAD kid!”

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I found a aimbot on the kids computer and they lost the computer for two weeks.  Have not had  a problem since.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Just about every shooter I have ever seen has had some sort of illegal aimbots.
  • Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Did they ban their credit cards being used again?

Because we know Blizzard doesn't do that, and even offer to sell them a new account. So from what I've seen until they refuse the credit cards, cheating will remain at that level as they reroll again.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I always wondered if it would be better for the devs to incorporate the cheats into the game and let everyone have access to them.

Actually build the game for cheaters.....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Grunty said:

Just to put it in perspective, CSGO has had ban waves of more than 600,000 users. Just back in December they banned 600k players. The game only usually has around 600k players online at a time so your statement doesn't really make sense.

355k seems to make sense to me, they are jumping in and taking action against cheaters which they should be. The second something gets big, and if it's free, cheats are rampant. It doesn't matter what Anti-Cheat you use. People don't have to worry about dropping more money to play again.

I've had at least 5 or 6 games where I've felt like someone was cheating, just by prefires that make no sense. I've watched a couple youtube streams of cheaters as well just to see how bad the cheats were, they were all using wall hacks to outline locations for everyone (one or two were using aim hacks as well).
    Generally when you compare things you try to use things with the same value... CSGO isn't 1 month old, so their concurrent players are probably spread between 10-20(or maybe even doubt those numbers)mil players while for Apex Legends those numbers should be at  least in half, but whatever, because it seems that people continue to completely misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm saying that East Anti-Cheat is a really crappy program. If you wanted to counter me you could've easily said that since I'm suggesting that it's crappy program the 355k number could actually be 3.5mil, but the program doesn't detect them. 

Honestly I don't really care how much cheating is going on in this game. I have it installed and I would occasionally log and play 1-2 games, but I'm not into BR's, so overall I don't care as I already said :)
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited March 2019
    Problem with cheaters is remember PUBG, cheaters setup a web browser, redirected their DNS to a cheat server, and sniffed packets to tell where players and items were...

The same thing can be done with any FPS game I would think, the only difference is that if a cheater completely codes their own cheat dns packet sniffer that is not public the chances of the devs finding the cheater is likely zero.

The only reason PUBG for example had so many cheaters banned is because they used a public cheat and someone tipped them off so they were able to check everyone using one specific DNS server. So Anti-Chheats stopping all cheaters unlikely.
  • X-ranfeX-ranfe Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Good move, cheaters always ruins the game.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    EA's experts are probably looking at ways to monetize this "cheating problem", lol
    I was going to say what experts, but looks like you answered that question for me.