Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest and Everquest 2 new servers

herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

EverQuest 20th Anniversary

Yep
They will open 2 servers per game which are time locked progression which means starting from the classics and then going  every month or few months to next expansion
Worth giving it a go
I will be going for the everquest 2 server as i preferred it to EQ  and hope they do a good job

Scot

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited March 2019
    Would love to but way too busy with Rubi-Ka 2019.
    Post edited by kitarad on
    Lighttip[Deleted User]Scorchien

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I hope this goes well. Cheers to my first mmorpg and a classic game.
    Scot

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Dont both games have progression servers already? I know EQ1 has 3-4 at least.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I never understood the lure of "timed progression" servers. Is the idea to play them until they hit the expansion that drove you away, then quit? If so, why even start?

I just don't get the whole idea...
    [Deleted User]Theocritus[Deleted User]HatefullAmathe

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    AlBQuirky said:
    I never understood the lure of "timed progression" servers. Is the idea to play them until they hit the expansion that drove you away, then quit? If so, why even start?

For me with "official" servers your comment is exactly why I don't resub and play on those.  Why would I want to play on a progression server?  It's exactly the point... it's going to progress until you get to the point in time that drove you away.  The entire idea of "progression" servers has always baffled me.  Those subscribers were already lost to "change" so now we have a server type that delivers that same experience over and over.

Of course the reason they seem to do them... is there is some number of "guilds" that like to compete for "first" over and over and over again.  Which since "progression" servers keep happening and "classic" don't...  I guess "classic" isn't where the money is.

When I heard AO was going to do a server I started to get interested.  Unlike most I didn't have a lot of technical issues with Anarchy Online when it came out and really enjoyed the game.  Then I saw "progression" and was like... no.
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Gorwe said:
    AlBQuirky said:

Nostalgia. People expect to relive old memories. Except those times are gone. Sure, one can enjoy it again, but in not quite the same way as one used to.
    That's why when nostalgia hits me, I boot up P99. It rarely changes from the Ruins of Kunark expansion. I know they were looking into Velious, but I'm not sure of they went there yet, or not :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    The experience of playing a game you once loved is truly fun. I am having that now with Anarchy Online and I am giving this point of view to explain the attraction and its relevance to Everquest and Everquest 2.

When I see the things I had forgotten and how much I enjoyed it makes me feel good inside. While it is true you can never go back it is definitely better than not playing it. You relive the experience and while it may never match the original it is definitely better than anything I am currently enjoying.

You enjoy yourself and while it may be true that you might quit again when the things that drove you away before resurface but the time between starting again and that point will still be the most fun you have had for awhile.

Rubi-Ka is busy people are chatting on channels and it is fun to start over. I don't enjoy the current crop of games because I cannot play a lot of them especially those with action combat. Anarchy Online  I am definitely enjoying immensely again and this is the reason why people play on progression servers.
    AlBQuirky

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    AlBQuirky said:

Well to me its about the mindset
    I look at it like a memory trip
    Kind of going on a holiday to your favourite place and then after a while realize why you left and go
    Also do things you feel you missed out but with the difficulty of the past and the thrill
    I done 2 EQ TLE and still have happy memories of doing the monk epic  and actually needing a raid force to help me get it  rather then play live server and just solo it or whatever
    Yes it progresses
    Have fun and then go home.easy

AlBQuirky
  • SerignuadSerignuad Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Gorwe said:
    AlBQuirky said:

Nostalgia. People expect to relive old memories. Except those times are gone. Sure, one can enjoy it again, but in not quite the same way as one used to.
    Why do people watch black and white movies? Why do they rewatch a movie they've seen? Why do people read Tolkien or CS Lewis or Asimov or Heinlein or Ray Bradbury? Don't they know the fantasy/science fiction genres have advanced since then? Technology is way different now. Is it just because they read their books or watched those movies in happier, younger times?

Why do people like the classical music? Why do people like different music? Why do people like old music? Why do people like really old music? Why do people like really really really old music? Don't they know that music has advanced since then? Instruments are different?

Why do people own three legged dogs when there are perfectly good four legged dogs? Why do people own old dogs? Nostalgia? Don't they know the puppy days of their youth are over and can never be recaptured again?

Sure. Nostalgia plays a role with some people. But people, what they find enjoyable and the reasons for it are perhaps more complicated than the "nostalgia, you think you want it but you dont" crowd want to give them credit for. 
    ScotAlBQuirkykjempffPalebaneHatefullSovrath
    We need to start thinking of MMO's as we do music or literature or the movies. There is not one MMO or one game that will be universally satisfactory to everyone's taste. MMO's don't come in one genre just as books or music doesn't come in one genre. Change and innovation is a good thing in the MMO industry just as it is in literature and music, but every MMO doesn't need to push the envelope or be cutting edge to be "good" or fun. It just needs to be good. The same is true for music. The same is true for books or for movies. Music evolves. MMO's evolve. Storytelling evolves. And in doing so, it doesn't make obsolete or not enjoyable everything that's been done before. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    Serignuad said:
    Gorwe said:
    AlBQuirky said:

Why do people watch black and white movies? Why do they rewatch a movie they've seen? Why do people read Tolkien or CS Lewis or Asimov or Heinlein or Ray Bradbury? Don't they know the fantasy/science fiction genres have advanced since then? Technology is way different now. Is it just because they read their books or watched those movies in happier, younger times?

Why do people like the classical music? Why do people like different music? Why do people like old music? Why do people like really old music? Why do people like really really really old music? Don't they know that music has advanced since then? Instruments are different?

Why do people own three legged dogs when there are perfectly good four legged dogs? Why do people own old dogs? Nostalgia? Don't they know the puppy days of their youth are over and can never be recaptured again?

Sure. Nostalgia plays a role with some people. But people, what they find enjoyable and the reasons for it are perhaps more complicated than the "nostalgia, you think you want it but you dont" crowd want to give them credit for. 
    Well said, if gamers are "afflicted" by nostalgia they are also afflicted by an inability to see what is wrong with todays gaming. Not that I think old was better in every way, but they threw the baby out with the bathwater when they went solo easy mode.
    AlBQuirkyPalebane
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I've tried going back to Everquest 2 or 3 times over the years because it entertained me for several years and I wanted to relive old times.  I had to give up each time because of the atrocious interface.  So slow, cumbersome and clunky it was painful to play.  Times have moved on, as have I.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    kitarad said:
    Would love to but way too busy with Rubi-Ka 2019.
    Me to , but will jump in EQ2 if my friends want to roll on the new server , having a great time in AO 2019 , such a good game
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    Our SoL community are rolling onto Kaladim next Saturday. Already got a good three groups ready to go :) 

Last time we did so was late 2016 when we did a 4-month stint on a live server for the ROK content and got our guild their Mythicals for fun :) 

If anyone wants to join us, we'll be doing Fri/Sat/Sun nights CST and weekend afternoons. Hit us up in our Discord!
    itchmonScot
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited March 2019
    Dibdabs said:
    I've tried going back to Everquest 2 or 3 times over the years because it entertained me for several years and I wanted to relive old times.  I had to give up each time because of the atrocious interface.  So slow, cumbersome and clunky it was painful to play.  Times have moved on, as have I.
    I went back also, but didn’t really care about the interface. I wasn’t trying to raid or level up again. I spent a couple hours roaming around the dark elf starting area, Neriak city, and the lava zone next to it. Another couple hours in Ak’Anon, East Commonlands, and Highpass, The Overthere, Skyfire Mountains, Velketor’s Lair; all my old haunts. I even explored a few new zones that were added since I had quit. It was awesome!

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Gorwe said:
    AlBQuirky said:

Nostalgia? Might attract "old" players back to the game so yes - although this probably diminishes with each successive progression server.

What they also do however is "group" players up in a smaller area giving a world the feeling of being inhabited. And then - notionally - moving them through the content as a group. The opposite of people clumping together at some end game location. A "dead" mmorpg is little more than a single player game. Even if the game design is perfect for group play if you are the only person in a "zone" its a single player game with content you may not be able to do alone.
    AlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    edited March 2019
    Renfail said:
    Our SoL community are rolling onto Kaladim next Saturday. Already got a good three groups ready to go :) 

Last time we did so was late 2016 when we did a 4-month stint on a live server for the ROK content and got our guild their Mythicals for fun :) 

If anyone wants to join us, we'll be doing Fri/Sat/Sun nights CST and weekend afternoons. Hit us up in our Discord!
    They are allowing the designers of indie MMORPG's to actually take time of and play MMORPGs! I am going to have a word with the Overlord, he needs to crack the whip more and get you back to work. :)
    RenfailAlBQuirky
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    Scot said:
    Renfail said:

They are allowing the designers of indie MMORPG's to actually take time of and play MMORPGs! I am going to have a word with the Overlord, he needs to crack the whip more and get you back to work. :)
    I used to have a hell of a lot more time to play, but these days it's only about two hours daily due to work commitments :) The game ain't gonna build itself!

Scot
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    AlBQuirky said:

There is also the Fresh Start perspective.  
    AlBQuirky

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Serignuad said:
    Gorwe said:
    AlBQuirky said:

very much this.

I think people who use the terms "rose colored blasses/Nostalgia"  don't have a certain axis of thinking. They very well might be one and done type people or "always move forward" type people.

They just don't understand that other people are not like this.

Now, there might be some people who might think that playing an old game will get those old feelings back. And some might just try them for curiosity's sake.

But I bet a good many people like them because "they like them."

Just like multiple watching of old movies, reading books again and again (I have a friend who reads the Wheel of time series very 2 years or so) and of course revisiting old video games.
    kjempff
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Sovrath said:
    Serignuad said:
    Gorwe said:
    AlBQuirky said:

very much this.

I think people who use the terms "rose colored blasses/Nostalgia"  don't have a certain axis of thinking. They very well might be one and done type people or "always move forward" type people.

They just don't understand that other people are not like this.

Now, there might be some people who might think that playing an old game will get those old feelings back. And some might just try them for curiosity's sake.

But I bet a good many people like them because "they like them."

Just like multiple watching of old movies, reading books again and again (I have a friend who reads the Wheel of time series very 2 years or so) and of course revisiting old video games.

pretty much this
    I did the last EQ1 TLE called agnaar
    Started with a guild which did things casually and did ok .Nearly all members got their epic in era
    Then seems some officers went into the "classic" mentality and wanted us to raid constantly or else!
    Left promptly .Messed around for a couple of months and then quit
    Its all about having fun revisiting memories and like anything else when the fun  is gone just leave till you want to do it again
    As mentioned this time I will go with EQ2 TLE and see how it plays out
    See you all on saturday!
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited March 2019
    hercules said:

EverQuest 20th Anniversary

Yep
    They will open 2 servers per game which are time locked progression which means starting from the classics and then going  every month or few months to next expansion
    Worth giving it a go
    I will be going for the everquest 2 server as i preferred it to EQ  and hope they do a good job
    Not subscribing to a game that old only to replay old content that I've already run through several times on several tools over the years.

EQ and EQ2 need major server mergers, not more progression servers to fragment the player base and suppress server viability on the already-existing servers.

That's why I stopped playing.  The servers were dying and there are still like a dozen.  They refuse to merge them.  It's not fun to play an MMORPG on life-line servers, and developing/maintaining a high end guild is depressing in that kind of environment.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Darksworm said:
    EQ and EQ2 need major server mergers, not more progression servers to fragment the player base and suppress server viability on the already-existing servers.

That's why I stopped playing.  The servers were dying and there are still like a dozen.  They refuse to merge them.  It's not fun to play an MMORPG on life-line servers, and developing/maintaining a high end guild is depressing in that kind of environment.
    Yeah agreed that they should really do more to merge servers. Possibly even plan new tlps for merging early with slower tlps. They should just offer free transfer to any server that is at the same or higher expansion.

But it doesn't really take many players to populate a eq tlp. 1000 concurrent players will do it, but at 1500+ it is already heavily overcrowded. Not sure how much a eq2 tlp can pull, but it is probably around that too or maybe even less.

There are probably too many tlps to make sense and these new ones will def. not be a good deal for the last two tlps, but on the other hand starting fresh is so much fun even if it dies out at some point (too early).