Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After 3+ Days of Downtime, LOTRO & DDO Servers Back Online & a New FAQ Posted - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageAfter 3+ Days of Downtime, LOTRO & DDO Servers Back Online & a New FAQ Posted - MMORPG.com News

Standing Stone has brought both Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons Online servers back to life after more than three days of downtime. The downtime came as a result of persistent issues encountered with a datacenter move. As a result of the downtime, however, developers have some good news for players in the form of XP gains for the next several days and that a package of compensatory goodies is being prepared for players of both games.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Pretty decent appreciation packages. Glad things are back up and running!
    gervaise1TheDarkrayneMendel[Deleted User]necrolockvelimiriusAgent_Josephinfomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Lot of free stuff for a small inconvenience.
    SBFordScot[Deleted User]necrolock
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    If a launched game is going to be completely down for three days, you'd better offer lots of free stuff as compensation.
    foppotee[Deleted User]GhavriggSailorMomsquibbly
  • JimbobausJimbobaus Member UncommonPosts: 11
    edited March 2019
    Three days? I remember when wow launched oceanic servers that were actually in Australia. We had 5 day maintenance to allow for the move. What did we get as compensation? A big fat nothing. Shit happens no need to compensate people for it just be transparent as to what is happening and good players will understand without expecting a handout like entitled players would.
    SBFordScotjimmywolfbgzgamerTacticalZombeh
    Quizzical said:
    If a launched game is going to be completely down for three days, you'd better offer lots of free stuff as compensation.
    Entitlement much?

They had to offer 3 days extra sub time for subscribers. That would have been enough.

If 3 days without LOTRO ruins someone's life then they didn't have one anyway.
    Mendel[Deleted User]SBForddragonlee66Truvidien88Scotcmacqwinghaven1Sovrathsquibblyand 10 others.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    The time and in-game assets are nice.  Standing Stones Games did themselves a tremendous favor with this PR move.  It cost them next to nothing.  This is how a game company *should* treat its customers.  We are clientele, not chattel.

SBFordKevyne-ShandrisThupliitchmon

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I have yet to try this game. I wanna download it but I'm not sure if the gameplay or graphics alone will turn me away.
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737

Quizzical said:

Entitlement much?

They had to offer 3 days extra sub time for subscribers. That would have been enough.

Savage
    BlueThunderBear
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Quizzical said:
    Entitlement much?

Legally, yes.  From a PR perspective, no.  It's typically not a good business practice to make your customers hate you, especially when it would cost very little to avoid it.  It's much better to offer sufficient compensation for customers to not be particularly bothered by the downtime.
    bartoni33jimmywolfSandmanjwGhavriggKevyne-Shandrisinfomatz
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    The one thing I really liked was their communication during the process. the package seems good also. I did not like that their main website was down if I did not check the facebook page it appeared the game just diapered.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    To bad they dont turn the game on thats better than both of those.

Asherons Call
    ThupliHariken[Deleted User]velimirius[Deleted User]Keushpuppy
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I have yet to try this game. I wanna download it but I'm not sure if the gameplay or graphics alone will turn me away.
    It's extremely quest and story heavy. If those are your cup of tea you will most likely enjoy it. The community in general is pretty good.
    itchmon
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Abimor said:

The one thing I really liked was their communication during the process. the package seems good also. I did not like that their main website was down if I did not check the facebook page it appeared the game just diapered.

The issue took their website down as well. They kept their Facebook page updated.
  • Nhisso13Nhisso13 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    The 12 remaining DDO players must be thrilled!
    velimirius[Deleted User]infomatz
  • velimiriusvelimirius Member UncommonPosts: 134
    hm those 250 points will come in handy, will have enough to buy Lothlorien then, that will complete content on my account up to the riders of rohan :)
  • lazylightninglazylightning Newbie CommonPosts: 2

Says the guy with 4500 posts on a mmo forum...
    [Deleted User]TheDarkrayneAgent_Josephvelimirius

Says the guy with 4500 posts on a mmo forum...
    In 16 years...
    Agent_JosephSovrath[Deleted User]velimiriusinfomatz
  • AwakenWarriorAwakenWarrior Member UncommonPosts: 49

Didn't you see streams with this game? I'm not sure about gameplay, but you can see graphics.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    What turns me off from this game are those quest packs they sell. The last time i played i had all the expansions for the game that i bought. This was around a little over a year ago. Yet i still have to pay for quest packs to quest in some zones.
    Ozmodan
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Hariken said:

What turns me off from this game are those quest packs they sell. The last time i played i had all the expansions for the game that i bought. This was around a little over a year ago. Yet i still have to pay for quest packs to quest in some zones.

Welcome to this new era of scummy developers/publishers.

I played FFXI for 15+ years,never a cash shop,now i play Atlas and i bought the game for $30 NO cash shop,so i feel since i enjoy the game a lot,i am getting more value than most every game on the market.
    IDK about LOTRO because i only played it for about 1 hour and deleted it but i know DnD is a real cheap game design and sadly i wasted about 1-2 months playing it.

I have watched a bit more of LOTRO with Angry Joe and his bros as well if i remember his wife was playing as well and none of them seemed impressed with the game.The common theme was LACK of in everything from game play to rewards.My feeling i got from his video review was one of ho hum,not great not terrible just sort of not worth the time.
    velimiriusOzmodan

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:

Hariken said:

Welcome to this new era of scummy developers/publishers.

I played FFXI for 15+ years,never a cash shop,now i play Atlas and i bought the game for $30 NO cash shop,so i feel since i enjoy the game a lot,i am getting more value than most every game on the market.
    IDK about LOTRO because i only played it for about 1 hour and deleted it but i know DnD is a real cheap game design and sadly i wasted about 1-2 months playing it.

I have watched a bit more of LOTRO with Angry Joe and his bros as well if i remember his wife was playing as well and none of them seemed impressed with the game.The common theme was LACK of in everything from game play to rewards.My feeling i got from his video review was one of ho hum,not great not terrible just sort of not worth the time.
    Angry Joe has never done a video or stream on Lotro, Wiz. It was different LotR game.
    velimiriusOzmodan
  • TehaniTehani Member UncommonPosts: 18
    The downtime was handled very well this time, twitter was updated regularly, and the compensation packages are very good.

I was not expecting to get so much free stuff so respect for SSG on how they went about this one.
    itchmon
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

DrunkWolf said:

To bad they dont turn the game on thats better than both of those.

Asherons Call

That is Turbine. I don't think Standing Stone Games own it.
  • KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Kudos to them.