Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria Community Updated with the State of the Game for 2019 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageChronicles of Elyria Community Updated with the State of the Game for 2019 - MMORPG.com

The Chronicles of Elyria site has been updated with a lengthy post about the state of Elyria with 2019 well underway. Readers are informed about recent hires, new office space, domain and settlement selection, influence awards for positive contributions to the community, and a forthcoming Q&A. The post also provides a game update that first defines the development philosophy as well as a look at some of the current projects underway.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Did they hire Slapshot to do public relations?
    SBFordDakeruScotSpottyGekkotweedledumb99KyleranJamesGoblinSabracCryomatrixKilraneand 2 others.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Forgrimm said:
    In all fairness I am rather sure they don't get as much exposure as they do on this site, thanks to Slap, anywhere else on the internet.

Though we are still waiting for that exclusive article from PC Gamer.
    SBFordScotSlapshot1188KyleranJamesGoblin[Deleted User]
    Harbinger of Fools
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Well what I absolutely love is this deeper insight given by @AnOldFart ; about how this update was made:

AnOldFart said:
    Well Caspian is giving a constant word count update.
    Good to know he is concentrating on writing his update. 

21.35 Up to 1,500 words now.
    Still got some more writing to do, plus the intro and conclusion.
    I think my estimate of 2,500 words is pretty spot on.
    21.46 1700 words now.
    21.52. I'm still on the stuff in the middle.
    The intro will probably be 250 words, the conclusion a bit less.
    21.53. I'm going to try and keep it under 2500 words.
    21.55 Heh. It's not a release blog.
    The 0.5.0 blog will have a hell of a lot more media.

How about get the f**k off discord and write it, does he not have any time management skill or discipline.
    Oh and this update is just the state of elyria not the 0.5 uodate

GdemamiJamesGoblin
    Harbinger of Fools
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    "Last year people told us we weren't strong enough to withstand the storm. This year, we are the storm."

This guy Caspian is a force of nature. :)

On a serious note I wish them well, though the game does seem to be being developed like this community update, lots of talk but it is not out yet.
    JamesGoblinMendelinfomatz
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    We all know Jeromy Walsh can "talk the talk" ! :wink:

Problem is, after 3 years, he's still talking about "walking the walk"...
    Slapshot1188JamesGoblincraftseekerRoininfomatz
  • BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228
    The state of the game is the same as always. The game isnt real and Caspian cant stand to be called out on his scam.
    JamesGoblincraftseekerAeander
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I don't think I wrote that much on my Master's thesis....

But, honestly, reading it, I'm left with the uneasy feeling that it might have been summed up, "not much". 

As @Scot said, I wish them well and hope that things will start popping in 2019. I guess we'll see.
    EponyxDamorGdemamiScotMendelinfomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749

SBFord said:

But, honestly, reading it, I'm left with the uneasy feeling that it might have been summed up, "not much". 

As @Scot said, I wish them well and hope that things will start popping in 2019. I guess we'll see.

This honestly reminds me of my college days -- when your assignment requires 10 pages but you've only got 3 pages of material at best.
    SBFordSlapshot1188TacticalZombehKyleran[Deleted User]JamesGoblincraftseekerCryomatrixRoinAlomarand 1 other.
  • mercstermercster Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Two or three years ago, when I saw the circle-jerking about "We're not gonna have fun being kings, it'll be a bunch of administrative work, while all the peons are having fun!" and the voluminous roleplay blathering from both the whales and the development team...I knew it was a joke.

It has only become more of a joke with time. This game is never coming out, and anyone who spent money on this thinking it was going to be their roleplay dream is deluding themselves. Why don't you just get a pen and paper roleplaying group together and build your grand visions there? It'd be a lot less expensive than this vaporware.

See you in 2020 kids! AAAAHAHAHA!
    GdemamiJamesGoblincraftseekermikeb0817
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    edited March 2019
    SBFord said:

You hit it on the head.  NOT MUCH. 

And If you look at last year's "State of Elyria" he was literally promising much of the same stuff:

2018- Over the course of the next 12 months we'll be seeing rapid development of the various game mechanics. As we're building this game, floor by floor, our Alpha 1 backers will have an opportunity to walk around in the game and experience it even while we're still running the wires and plumbing.

Aside from the game itself, and the onset of Alpha 1 phases on the horizon, there are other places where we'll be adding structure and shape to the game in 2018.

2019-  Chronicles of Elyria is currently in the Pre-Alpha phase of development, which both describes a deliverable as well as the type of work we're doing. As a deliverable, the Pre-Alpha phase for us means delivering a client and server that allows our Alpha 1 backers to get in and play a subset of the Alpha 1 features in a fully playable game.

--------------------------------------

That is literally a cut and paste from both SoE updates as an example for people to see.  But here's another in case you think I am simply making this up:

2018-Domain / Settlement Selection. While certainly not least, one of the last events of the next several months will be Domain/Settlement Selection. With the maps finally declared, Domain / Settlement selection is when the Nobility and Aristocracy of Elyria get to select which domains and settlements they'll govern. This has huge impact on the game, as players will finally have solid information about which biome they'll be in, what size settlement they'll have, what tribes will be available to their players, and who their liege and vassals are. Then, the Dance of Dynasties can advance in unique and interesting ways - beyond ways the dance is already being danced by the players.

2019- Domain & Settlement Selection. If you didn't skip everything before this in order to get to this part of the blog, I commend you. For those that did, here is the info you've been waiting for: Domain & Settlement begins the first part of April.

We're being intentionally vague at this point as development on D&SS continues and the work isn't complete yet. So this gives us some flexibility as to when it'll be ready for launch. Once we get to the beginning of April we'll provide the official launch date for Domain & Settlement Selection.

----------------------------------------

I could do a whole article the same size as Caspien's long fluff piece (aka State of Elyria) simply comparing what was said in LAST years to what actually happened and then to what is promised THIS year.

But... I will be nice.

PS:  I keep refreshing PCGAMER but I can't seem to find their big article on this.  Can someone link it?   :D

https://www.pcgamer.com/search/?searchTerm=elyria

Gdemami[Deleted User]JamesGoblinKilraneinfomatz

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Tl;dr - Please keep giving us money so we can put out a BR by the end of the year for 'testing purposes.'
    JamesGoblin

Forgrimm said:

Honestly I have always said that the most devastating "attack" on CoE is simply linking Jeromy's own words. Go read last year's State of Elyria. Then see what reality was in 2018. Then read this years and see how many of the same things are mentioned.
    JamesGoblincraftseekerGdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Forgrimm said:

Honestly I have always said that the most devastating "attack" on CoE is simply linking Jeromy's own words. Go read last year's State of Elyria. Then see what reality was in 2018. Then read this years and see how many of the same things are mentioned.
    To be fair, he provides most of your material.

;)
    craftseekerRoinKilrane[Deleted User]Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Forgrimm said:

To be fair, he provides most of your material.

;)
    My point exactly
    craftseekerGdemami

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    In all fairness they are trying to make something that's new and has actual differences then the endless cookie-cutter-crap that is all we ever see in this genre so I will happily give them the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best. As always only time will tell what ultimately emerges.
    [Deleted User]OzmodanJamesGoblincraftseekerAeanderpwnasaurus
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    State of the game for 2019 - VAPORWARE!!!
    JamesGoblincraftseeker
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Rhoklaw said:
    Dakeru said:
    Well what I absolutely love is this deeper insight given by @AnOldFart ; about how this update was made:

AnOldFart said:
    Well Caspian is giving a constant word count update.
    Good to know he is concentrating on writing his update. 

21.35 Up to 1,500 words now.
    Still got some more writing to do, plus the intro and conclusion.
    I think my estimate of 2,500 words is pretty spot on.
    21.46 1700 words now.
    21.52. I'm still on the stuff in the middle.
    The intro will probably be 250 words, the conclusion a bit less.
    21.53. I'm going to try and keep it under 2500 words.
    21.55 Heh. It's not a release blog.
    The 0.5.0 blog will have a hell of a lot more media.

How about get the f**k off discord and write it, does he not have any time management skill or discipline.
    Oh and this update is just the state of elyria not the 0.5 uodate

Perhaps he should of made CoE a Text Based MuD based of this point alone.
    Jeromy has undeniably proven that he can churn out volumes of written material. CoE as a text-based MUD would probably have been a roaring success, lol
    RoinNyteWytchOzmodanJamesGoblin
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Scot said:
    "Last year people told us we weren't strong enough to withstand the storm. This year, we are the storm."

This guy Caspian is a force of nature. :)

On a serious note I wish them well, though the game does seem to be being developed like this community update, lots of talk but it is not out yet.
    I'm going to interpret that as 'a farce of nature'.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    JamesGoblininfomatz
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited March 2019
    "Unleash the tempest"? Really? This "tempest" is about as violent as a hamster fart in a habitrail. (Probably doesn't smell quite as good though)
    craftseekerJamesGoblin
  • CembryeCembrye Member UncommonPosts: 65
    As a backer (not whale though) I understand the skepticism. Some of it seems warranted. Maybe the game will never see release. But to me it was worth the risk to help them try. As I look across the MMO space, I see the death of dreams. Once beloved Bioware is having the last stirrings of life squeezed out of it by EA. Other attempts to create the living worlds we all saw on the horizon with original UO are struggling. Star Citizen seems promising I guess. Suffice to say, like everyone I wish Elyria well. But I wonder if the industry and genre itself have shifted to where anything like this is possible anymore. Or is the future a vast desert of loot-shooter lobby games and last-man standings?
    ScotBabuinix
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Cembrye said:
    As a backer (not whale though) I understand the skepticism. Some of it seems warranted. Maybe the game will never see release. But to me it was worth the risk to help them try. As I look across the MMO space, I see the death of dreams. Once beloved Bioware is having the last stirrings of life squeezed out of it by EA. Other attempts to create the living worlds we all saw on the horizon with original UO are struggling. Star Citizen seems promising I guess. Suffice to say, like everyone I wish Elyria well. But I wonder if the industry and genre itself have shifted to where anything like this is possible anymore. Or is the future a vast desert of loot-shooter lobby games and last-man standings?
    I think a lot of gamers, particularly those not in their teens are with you here. In some ways the future you mention is already here, so is there any hope? Indie MMOs may be the only hope we have of this genre being revitalised. There may be other indie MMOs in the future, but if none of those in development do well the likelihood of us seeing more diminishes sharply.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited March 2019
    You guys scream about wanting innovation in MMOs, then scream about how crappy the innovation is when someone wants to innovate. You guys are the problem.

Just kidding this game will suck if it ever launches. xD
    JamesGoblinSlapshot1188[Deleted User]BabuinixSpottyGekko
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    "influence awards for positive contributions to the community"
    This part sounds very sketchy.

I was on the fence for awhile in the beginning but then i realised this guy can't be trusted.He might have had good intentions at the start but soon as money becomes an issue people change and change VERY quickly.

Gdemami

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    edited March 2019
    Wizardry said:
    "influence awards for positive contributions to the community"
    This part sounds very sketchy.

I was on the fence for awhile in the beginning but then i realised this guy can't be trusted.He might have had good intentions at the start but soon as money becomes an issue people change and change VERY quickly.

Nope, he was always very sketchy. In the beginning he had a fantastical concept, he may himself have believed in it, but it was clear from that beginning that it was a doomed project. From the start of the kickstarter he constructed a false narrative about his past, his personal financial contribution, and his ability to produce an outcome. And it wasn't the first time, he had a past with another project a "family tree" program, that sucked up other people's money and then collapsed without ever producing a product.

Now I am not saying, even now, that he is a conman seeking to defraud people, just a hopeless fantasist, that is not sufficiently competent to self manage a project.