Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When it comes to Sandbox MMOs what's some common game design decisions you disagree with?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
Want to get down to the core of what may be holding the MMO sandbox industry back. What's some game design decisions that are common in most Sandbox MMOs that you disagree with or see as an error going forward?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    how can this be answered when nobody knows what a sandbox game really is. hell we dont even know what a MMO is anymore. my mobile game is a mmo now.
    AlBQuirkyGobstopper3DSteelhelm
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007
    PvP
    AlBQuirkyMendel4507free2playArglebargleAldersSteelhelmGregorMcgregor[Deleted User]kjempff

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    When I hear 'sandbox' I hear 'empty', especially if it's a PvP sandbox... Ideally I'd like 'sandbox' to mean a vibrant 'living world' that, while having existing content (NPCs, cities, mobs, points of interest, etc.), allowed for player agency in shaping the future of that world (or at least a small part of it).
    AlBQuirkysunandshadow[Deleted User]GregorMcgregorkjempff
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    The utter garbage level of polish.
    AlBQuirkyVermillion_RaventhalSteelhelmsomeforumguy
  • Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    For me I love the risk vs reward of sandbox games, however the PvE is usually absolute crap and that causes problems for a lot of people, as even people who like to PvP also like to do some PvE. I think the big problem is down to the fact that no big studios do sandbox, so the devs that do have limited resources.

Also, I think a PvE sandbox could work but only if the AI was highly advanced and not just the usual scripted run of the mill stuff we have now. As scripted encounters such as WoW get boring fast, as everyone knows what's going to happen at specific points in fights. Then of course you run the risk of people complaining content is too hard.
    AlBQuirky
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Are there any sandbox MMO ? I though they just 100 players multiplayer server .
    AlBQuirky
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    PVP and lack of actual content does not make a sandbox, I wish developers would realise that. Player interaction does not all boil down to PVP and being able to create your own stories and targets does not boil down to players having to create the content themselves.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AlBQuirkyGregorMcgregor[Deleted User]kjempff
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited March 2019
    Akulas said:
    PvP
    I agree, but would accept PvP with "enforceable laws" in place.

Sandboxes are supposed to resemble the real world, right? Well, the real world punishes murder. PvP games usually do not. There should all kinds of areas in the game, like the real world. An area like the Middle East where living until the next day is not a given, thanks to the random violence occurring. Big inner cities with drive by shootings should be represented, too, along with the quiet, more rural small town areas. Now, players have choices, not just some huge open world where murder is the common theme.

More of my thoughts:
    Having a working economy does not mean "no content needed." NPC merchants need to be a thing. Otherwise, player merchants may not be online when other players need to visit them. NPC merchants also give more competition, more choices.

I am unsure about "world shaping" as many sandbox players look for. I'm not going to create a city or state to govern. I'm not going to go terraforming any places. I'm certainly not going to be a "leader" of any kind. But I'd still like a living, breathing world that at least feels alive.

Quests: Players don't know the lore of the land. How can they inform other players? NPCs are a necessity, in my eyes. Many sandbox advocates despise NPCs, though, so my opinion carries little weight :)

Remember, even a real life sandbox is boring without a pail or shovel. In other words, tools :)
    [Deleted User]LimnicHatefull[Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Full loot PVP.
    AlBQuirkykitaradHatefullTsiya4507ArglebargleGregorMcgregor[Deleted User]
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Maurgrim said:
    Full loot PVP.
    This 100 times over.
    [Deleted User]

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    IDK about others but the games I enjoy playing the most (other than fun time wasters like Solitaire, Tetris, Angry BIrds, etc.) are part of my fiction narrative continuum. To me they're like novels or films but with the potential to be better because of the interactive immediacy they bring to the table.

Sandbox MMOs are sadly lacking in compelling narrative to interest me much. They just seem like half-assed games with that thing that attracts me to a game I would want to spend hours at a time playing for months missing.

As mindless entertainment goes I'd much rather play Tetris than Minecraft any day of the week. And I typically only do that on my phone at the theater while waiting for the pre-movie commercials to be over :)
    AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Sandbox MMO's should be about freedom. One should be able to build, quest, run dungeons, raid etc. There have to be things to do beyond just survive and build.

Conan Exiles does a pretty good job of this although I hesitate to call it "massive" and contrary to some peoples opinions Sandbox is well defined, just misused constantly.

I am not saying that all Sandbox MMO's need to start as survival, nor do they need to be PvP, although the latter does add some risk vs reward on a different level, I do not think it is necessary. The best made Sandbox imo thus far has been SWG. And I should say as far as the idea of how a Sandbox, or Sandbox/Themepark Hybrid should work. Three factions (essentially, although the third should have been fleshed out more) plenty of open space to get out and explore and PvP was consensual. You could build entire cities, but there were established cities already, quest hubs etc. You didn't have to do any of them, or you could do all of them. Player driven economy! This is a must, in order to get the people that really enjoy crafting involved.

*NOTE* I am not saying SWG was devoid of issues, it had them, it had many of them! but the design ideas were great, just not realized in a very thought out manner, imo.

So far I do not think anyone has hit the mark on Sandbox design the way SOE did back then. Sadly they mismanaged the hell out of it and killed it because forum warriors kept crying about how hard it was.ikcin said:
    I can point few things - vertical progression, power gaps, solo RPG, lack of cooperative and competitive goals.
    Akulas said:
    PvP
    Without PvP there is not such a thing as sandbox MMO. If the game creates safe environment, by removing the competition among the players, it is instanced by the rules. Sandbox means open world design - so a world which is changed by the actions of the player. In a solo RPG this is to cut a tree, to build something and etc. In a MMO sandbox means that your actions affect the other players and vice versa.
    False. You do not have to have PvP in order for the game to be a sandbox, this is completely false.
    TsiyaimmodiumArglebargle

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    "A virtual world is incomplete without the possibility of PVP"

Great theory, but why do most virtual worlds in MMO's end up feeling like Somalia or Syria ?
    Hatefull4507
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited March 2019
    ikcin said:
    I can point few things - vertical progression, power gaps, solo RPG, lack of cooperative and competitive goals.
    Akulas said:
    PvP
    Without PvP there is not such a thing as sandbox MMO. If the game creates safe environment, by removing the competition among the players, it is instanced by the rules. Sandbox means open world design - so a world which is changed by the actions of the player. In a solo RPG this is to cut a tree, to build something and etc. In a MMO sandbox means that your actions affect the other players and vice versa.
    That doesn't mandate PvP, at least not any direct form of it.
    ATITD doesn't really do PvP combat as far as I remember.
    AlBQuirky said:
    Akulas said:
    PvP

Sandboxes are supposed to resemble the real world, right? Well, the real world punishes murder. PvP games usually do not. There should all kinds of areas in the game, like the real world. An area like the Middle East where living until the next day is not a given, thanks to the random violence occurring. Big inner cities with drive by shootings should be represented, too, along with the quiet, more rural small town areas. Now, players have choices, not just some huge open world where murder is the common theme.

More of my thoughts:
    Having a working economy does not mean "no content needed." NPC merchants need to be a thing. Otherwise, player merchants may not be online when other players need to visit them. NPC merchants also give more competition, more choices.

I am unsure about "world shaping" as many sandbox players look for. I'm not going to create a city or state to govern. I'm not going to go terraforming any places. I'm certainly not going to be a "leader" of any kind. But I'd still like a living, breathing world that at least feels alive.

Quests: Players don't know the lore of the land. How can they inform other players? NPCs are a necessity, in my eyes. Many sandbox advocates despise NPCs, though, so my opinion carries little weight :)

Remember, even a real life sandbox is boring without a pail or shovel. In other words, tools :)
    Again, I will pull SWG out, you could as a Crafter hire NPC's to be your vendor. People could come buy from your vendor while you were offline and you got the credits when you went to check your store. On my Server, we had a literally city-sized mall where you could buy anything. All these vendors selling everything. All made by players, all materials gathered by players, it was one of the better ideas I have seen to date.
    AlBQuirky

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    The common meta-premise for a sandbox appears to be 'the players create the content'.  Whether this means that my character and his worldly possessions are another guy's content (pure PvP), or that I provide the creativity behind some scripted encounter (user-created content), I've never found either to be a satisfying game experience.

(PvP) I don't want to enter a game strictly to be the next lamb for the slaughter.  These seem to be totally biased towards rapid hand-eye coordination -- not my area of expertise.  There are rarely alternative means to action.  There is no hiding from an e-opponent.  There's no place to run, and few ways to counter a mage's fireblast once they're locked onto me.

(user-created content) Companies look towards these as another way to monetize their game.  In order to use a specific feature to extend their game, I am expected to purchase that specific feature.  Not only is my creativity being used to further their game, it is somehow a privilege that I must pay for.  The tools used to create this content haven't been very good, to date.  Now, if the game company would consider charging others to use my creation *and* share that bit of revenue with me, it *could* lure quality content developers to actually create the content.  Basically, games touting user-created content rarely have any incentive for players to actually create content.

AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I like sandbox until it involves killing other players and looting them. That mechanic alone will turn me away every time.
    HatefullAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    AlBQuirky said:u
    Akulas said:
    PvP

More of my thoughts:

I personally would like a Sandbox game with 2 or 3 PvP factions instead of any FFA PVP and no Guild vs Guild pvp because that's the same as FFA PvP in every sandbox game that does it. I want Factions with their own ove story and pvp protection from other random faction members in the open world. If the game going to have a always flagged map, I feel way more comfortable exploring knowing I have nearby faction members that may be able to come to my aid when I call out for help if ganked by some trolls.
    4507AlBQuirkyHatefull

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    ikcin said: 
    I like sandbox until it involves killing other players and looting them. That mechanic alone will turn me away every time.
    So full loot without "killing" is not a problem? I'm curious is it the mechanic or the animation :)
    Actually I am not against open world pvp, what I am against is FFA PvP and harsh desth penalties. I rather have Faction pvp with Faction lore, loyalty and PvE content. No matter how realistic you all think Sandboxes are, this is the internet. The internet breeds trolls. I rather have the game divided into pvp Factions that can be in the area to come to my aid when trolls attack. Back in Vanilla WoW when high levels would come to low level zones killing and ganking low level newbies,  a quick cry out in the map had a group of high level faction members come to fight those high level gankers off. I loved that aspect of Faction PvP. It cant be replaced. Not everybody does the guild stuff. I been playing long enough to know Guild PvP and Forced Guild Content is just as bad as FFA pvp. I pass on that.
    There is no Sandbox Faction PvP MMOs. I would be down for one that went this route.
    AlBQuirky

ikcin said:
    Limnic said:
    ikcin said:
    Akulas said:
    PvP
    PvP is player versus player, not player hitting player. Any competitive game includes PvP. While PvE is player versus environment, in the most games crafting for example is not PvE. As for the hitting, this is only animation, players do not beat each other. In general racing, economic competition and etc. could be full loot too. Depends on the rules of the game. In the open world games PvP affects the players. In the themepark MMOs, it does not - it does not matter if you win or lose, as the PvP has not consequences to the rest of the game. So the game may be instanced by zones - WoW, GW2, or by rules - BDO.
    Again, false. There are many competitive games that do not involve player vs player. Crafting can be either PvP or PvE speaking to gathering materials and in some cases actually creating items.

No kidding players don't really hit one another, there are some universal assumptions that can be made when discussing games and one of them is: I am not going to come to your house and physically assault you. And thus far, I have not seen anyone cast a fireball (IRL) to solve a problem.

Themeparks can have meaningful PvP as well, WoW is a great example of highly competitive PvP, I competed quite often, therefore, is affected me. I know many others that did as well. We even participated in OWPVP back then. Which by the way only affected my ability to quest and gather materials. So open world PvP didn't really bother me.

Same for SWG, It was an open world sandbox and the PvP didn't prohibit anything. I was just fun to participate in if you chose to.
    AlBQuirky

ikcin said:
    Limnic said:
    ikcin said:
    Akulas said:
    PvP
    PvP is player versus player, not player hitting player. Any competitive game includes PvP. While PvE is player versus environment, in the most games crafting for example is not PvE. As for the hitting, this is only animation, players do not beat each other. In general racing, economic competition and etc. could be full loot too. Depends on the rules of the game. In the open world games PvP affects the players. In the themepark MMOs, it does not - it does not matter if you win or lose, as the PvP has not consequences to the rest of the game. So the game may be instanced by zones - WoW, GW2, or by rules - BDO.
    Interesting interpretation, but still not accurate. Community built on cooperative play experiences (as is ATITD) predicates itself on using sandbox elements to drive building of economies and societies. You do not have any inherent need to force PvP in any scenario, not even sandbox. You might enjoy competitive user experiences, but that does not make them a necessity.
    AlBQuirkyHatefull
  • 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Like others have said, PvP - in my opinion, MMO PvP is only good when it's either in instanced duels/battlegrounds or is organized into faction versus faction (and your faction can't attack you).

I've long thought that a PvE sandbox would be very successful - I envision it being set in a frequently-raided border territory where the object of the game is to cooperate with other players to manage frontier forts and prepare for the next AI raid (perhaps planned and commanded high-level by a human GM), somewhat similarly to 7DtD.
    MMOExposed
    That's because the "typical case" is for multiple people to make fundamentally the same user experience.

And it can still be a sandbox MMO without PvP. It just focuses fundamentally on the aforementioned development of culture and potential PvE user experience.

Conflict does not have to be predicated on PvP. Even in the case of PvE driven conflict, you can have a variety of user experiences built on more than just the basic things most tend to deliver. The problem is narrow scope of gameplay styles commonly used.

A PvE sandbox MMO is about collaborative user experiences, not competitive, simple as that.
    AlBQuirkyHatefull
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Akulas said:
    PvP
    Or more specific, FFA PvP.
    Even vibrant games like EVE Online succumbed to the cannibalistic nature of FFA PvP.

It's poison. Even impotent FFA PvP like BDO FFA PvP creates poison and toxicity. I have said before, the only time I approved of PvP was in SWG where I flagged for it and made the on/ off decision to be a part of it. It wasn't perfect but it worked.
    AlBQuirky