Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen February VIP Roundtable (audio only) - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2019 in Videos Discussion

imagePantheon: Rise of the Fallen February VIP Roundtable (audio only) - MMORPG.com

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen VIPs have enjoyed exclusive access to the developers each month. Beginning today, VIPs and developers have agreed to put the videos out for the entire Pantheon community. In the February 2019 edition, folks will get to know both Mike (Artois) and Jason (Medawky), members of the customer support team.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Was a nice listen but so many people focused on "what are you going to do about griefing/cheating/gold selling/griefing/more griefing/changing a name to avoid being caught again because you griefed/etc."

MendelMensur
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    edited March 2019
    I'd love to listen to this, but the volume isn't loud enough.  It may be something on the their end or on my end.  I'll try again once I have some time to check the sound on my PC.

Edit:  Up volume button on the ancient Altec Lansing ACS 45 is busted.  Time to find a newer speaker system.  Unexpected expenses.

Post edited by Mendel on

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    edited March 2019
    I really have concerns when information about a developing game and a question and answer session is described as "content." Not just in this game, the attitude of games developers that describes a podcast as content is a bit rich.

Anyway I am sure the podcast went well, get back to the grindstone and launch us a good MMORPG. :)
  • bng28bng28 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    edited March 2019

Scot said:

I really have concerns when information about a developing game and a question and answer session is described as "content." Not just in this game, the attitude of games developers that describes a podcast as content is a bit rich.

Anyway I am sure the podcast went well, get back to the grindstone and launch us a good MMORPG. :)

its important to be transparent as a crowd funded company though.

While not technically.. everyone who has invested in the game is a stakeholder so to say. Open communication between the community and the devs are warranted as content in my opinion. But i have also invested in this game and this company. I'll take whatever they are willing to give me at the moment. Take a look at AOC, while there are many other reasons for community displeasure.. their lack of communication and transparency is not good PR for them as a crowd funded game.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]squibblyScot[Deleted User]
    bng28 said:

Scot said:

While not technically.. everyone who has invested in the game is a stakeholder so to say. Open communication between the community and the devs are warranted as content in my opinion. But i have also invested in this game and this company. I'll take whatever they are willing to give me at the moment. Take a look at AOC, while there are many other reasons for community displeasure.. their lack of communication and transparency is not good PR for them as a crowd funded game.
    exactly. I've pledged on one of the lower tiers ($100 or something like that) but sometimes I think I might give a bit more.

Them being transparent, playing the game, having an open dialogue with players is an important part of the process.

To the point, I don't believe in guarantees or that the game will definitely launch or that there might not not be radical changes through development. Meaning, if it folds I'm not going to go rushing to the forums, crying that the money I pledged is gone.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

Sovrath said:

Was a nice listen but so many people focused on "what are you going to do about griefing/cheating/gold selling/griefing/more griefing/changing a name to avoid being caught again because you griefed/etc."

I think they are asking CS type questions because they are speaking to CS reps.
    SovrathMendel[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I managed to finagle a substandard sound solution together and listened to this.  Like @Sovrath said above, this was dominated by questions about other people's behavior.  Maybe important, maybe not, probably not worth discussing at this point and time.  In any case, it wasn't worth listening to for an hour; there wasn't really anything new or earth-shattering said.  A transcript, even an edited transcript, would probably have been a better approach -- control the message, not ramble on answering similar questions.

Scot

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

bng28 said:

Scot said:

While not technically.. everyone who has invested in the game is a stakeholder so to say. Open communication between the community and the devs are warranted as content in my opinion. But i have also invested in this game and this company. I'll take whatever they are willing to give me at the moment.

Take a look at AOC, while there are many other reasons for community displeasure.. their lack of communication and transparency is not good PR for them as a crowd funded game.

Transparency is a very important piece of the puzzle but I would struggle with "we plan on doing this" as content. I get it, opinions will vary on this and we (maybe just I) should not lump all indie studios together, but due to the lack of anything real being produced by these crowd funded indie ventures I want something a bit more hands on before I consider it content.

As a side note, while I am not currently a backer, I would sincerely love to see this title realized in all its glory as I love the idea.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

edited March 2019
    Sure I understand why they are important to have and applaud them for having these podcasts. But they ain't content. :)
    Mendel
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,507
    I cnat wait for this game to be released! I have a really good feeling about this game! <3 <3 <3 <3
    JamesGoblin

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    edited March 2019
    Questions about griefers are coming from social retarded People... grief in a pve game ? geeeZe... whatever is a possibility within the game is legal. If you wana lock Down a dungeon or farm area u should be able to do so, everyones a scrub until you’re not. Always the same thickheaded people conplaining about grief- threatening with FCC filing go complaints and usually are fucking cancer to the forum community trying to rattle people up their course with absolute 0 merit.
  • bng28bng28 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    edited March 2019

Hatefull said:

bng28 said:

Scot said:

While not technically.. everyone who has invested in the game is a stakeholder so to say. Open communication between the community and the devs are warranted as content in my opinion. But i have also invested in this game and this company. I'll take whatever they are willing to give me at the moment.

Take a look at AOC, while there are many other reasons for community displeasure.. their lack of communication and transparency is not good PR for them as a crowd funded game.

Transparency is a very important piece of the puzzle but I would struggle with "we plan on doing this" as content. I get it, opinions will vary on this and we (maybe just I) should not lump all indie studios together, but due to the lack of anything real being produced by these crowd funded indie ventures I want something a bit more hands on before I consider it content.

As a side note, while I am not currently a backer, I would sincerely love to see this title realized in all its glory as I love the idea.

No i mean i get it. The crowd funded indie scene has not exactly produced. I know why people are skeptical of these projects and want something material, e.g. game mechanic, gear, indications of completion and that are ready and all in game. No one has delivered, so to say.

However, with the state of the game being pre-alpha 4, from what i understand is over, they still need to find a way to keep their promise of delivering updates. Be that a podcast, stream or news letter. I consider it content because its all directly related to the game. So therefor, content. Keep in mind its also a team thats approximately 20-25 devs. So they dont have the man power to shell out advertising teaser videos, or always have a slide show of their concept art. Those things generally fall in to the new letter. I would call a news letter content, maybe not IN GAME content, but its content.

But as i mentioned i get your position and i stand behind you on it as well, even as a backer. I want to see something developed, coded, playable.. not just banter about this and that. But none-the-less VR is keeping their community in the loop on development. If anyone has followed the game closely, youll know, the community in the past two years has never been in the dark. For that, i commend them because you cant show the game in development at EVERY corner (i could be making this up but i think mcquaid also stated this).
    *EDIT*By sheer definition of the word content, this is content. Dont @ me. :)
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Ahhhh to be offered something for free and made to feel special only to discover its a pair of 2 left feet shoes 3 sizes to small.
    Really looking forward to the game, but the "VIP" podcast was strictly D list wasn't it, love the work CS peeps do, but not a hot button issue at this stage is it?
     When you discovered that while listening to a podcast that you have slipped off your chair and woken 5 hours later on the floor from an induced coma, you know the VIP tag was complete BS and its what normal companies do for free as per normal operations.

• NicholousNicholous Newbie CommonPosts: 4

Sovrath said:

Because it is a known fact, that if that is not controlled, it will drive much of the player base away. Yeah, it is fun for a very few, but nowhere near as many as will leave if it is not controlled. Griefing and ganking afk players is not PVP, it is what it is, and needs to have a stiff penalty, that can not be avoided.

Wizbuiz said:

Questions about griefers are coming from social retarded
    People... grief in a pve game ? geeeZe... whatever is a possibility within the game is legal. If you wana lock Down a dungeon or farm area u should be able to do so, everyones a scrub until you’re not. Always the same thickheaded people conplaining about grief- threatening with FCC filing go complaints and usually are fucking cancer to the forum community trying to rattle people up their course with absolute 0 merit.

Griefing is not PVP, it is Griefing, and enjoyed by a very small number of people, that will drive away a very large number of people. Most people grow out of it, but sadly some do not, so it has to be controlled. Just as Bots and Gold sellers do.

The game is about grouping, and accomplishing things together, not destroying and being negative, IMO.

Torval said:

Nicholous said:

Sovrath said:

Because it is a known fact, that if that is not controlled, it will drive much of the player base away. Yeah, it is fun for a very few, but nowhere near as many as will leave if it is not controlled. Griefing and ganking afk players is not PVP, it is what it is, and needs to have a stiff penalty, that can not be avoided.

So this is about controlling the community? Oh yeah, that's going to work out well. 

A very small group of aberrant players do not represent or make a community. It is about controlling what is not desired by the devs or the targeted player, and it will work out great!
    Nicholous said:

Sovrath said:

Well, as someone else pointed out, it was a CS team so people were asking CS related questions.

However, it just feels like "the scared and downtrodden" looking for absolutes.

Every game that comes out has the same questions and every developer says that they will do x, y and z and in the end it's never enough and then the players start saying how the developers don't care and how they are doing nothing.

I strongly suspect that the amount of resources to keep the barrage of cheaters/griefers in check are way more than most developers have at their disposal.

Of course, they have to use automatic means as it's just too much and then someone who is innocent gets caught and their is an outcry from that as well.

Developers just can't win.

Nicholous said:

A very small group of aberrant players do not represent or make a community. It is about controlling what is not desired by the devs or the targeted player, and it will work out great!
    Welcome to our Boards! :)
    edited March 2019
    Wizbuiz said:
    Questions about griefers are coming from social retarded People... grief in a pve game ? geeeZe... whatever is a possibility within the game is legal. If you wana lock Down a dungeon or farm area u should be able to do so, everyones a scrub until you’re not. Always the same thickheaded people conplaining about grief- threatening with FCC filing go complaints and usually are fucking cancer to the forum community trying to rattle people up their course with absolute 0 merit.
    hmmmm no.

Not unless the developers expressly say that is how their game is set up. For example, in Lineage 2 it was "ok" to scam people when selling to them. And yes that was a pvp game. But just because a game is pvp doesn't necessarily mean that scamming is "ok"

I would say that if a player reports something in a pve game as a scam or "grief" and the developers say it's "ok" then it's ok.

Your last bit just devolved into a rant.

In general, pve games are more about players against the environment not players figuring out ways to screw over other players.

I should add that in Pantheon the developers have said that griefing/scamming is not acceptable. They have said that it's a incident by incident basis. If a player accidentally runs across something that causes other players issue, they aren't going to be "in trouble." However, they would be in trouble if they kept doing it and it seemed that they knowingly were causing other players trouble.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    It's ironic that people charged with preventing griefing are being griefed about how well they will prevent griefing before there is even a game for anyone to be griefed in. 
    Scot

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    In a PvE game, if a person found a way to grief in the first place, by definition that's probably something the developers didn't realize could be done (developers generally don't program PvE games with the intention of letting one grief another in the first place).

Which, needless to say, is also going to make pre-emptively coming up with solutions to grief situations that by definition the developers aren't yet aware of to be quite.... difficult, to say the least.