Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what happen?

MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
Battle Royal are the new thing, survival games are like locust cropping up everywhere, so what happen to the good old classic MMORPGs?

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    no body wants to pay a monthly fee.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    The indie industry picks up the slack. Which is happening right now.

Also, there has never been more options to play old MMORPGs than right now and this is increasing (Classic Wow releasing in summer). Some modern, yet true MMORPGs are in development right now too.

I find the only people concerned are the one's expecting the big developers to continue their focus on MMOs. I find this odd considering they are the ones who destroyed the genre to being with.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

You stay sassy!

edited March 2019
    Elsabolts said:

Incorrect. The people who want a real MMORPG with equal access to in game content want a sub.

It's never been about being the majority audience. The emphasis on a majority audience ruined the genre.

We only have Classic Wow to reveal the interest in subscription MMORPG gaming. We merely wait and see. 

Some of you will use hollow predictions to try and prove otherwise. To that I say, wait and see, wait ... and ... see. It's not far off.

F2P players who play for free are powerless lemmings of the industry and they get the games they get now because of this. 

You stay sassy!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Elsabolts said:

Well I really don't want to anymore.  I'd rather buy a block of game time or pay daily which I could burn whenever I decided to play.

Would make bouncing between multiple games much easier.

I'm tired of being on the clock.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]AsheramLokero

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited March 2019
    Tamanous said:
    Elsabolts said:

Incorrect. The people who want a real MMORPG with equal access to in game content want a sub.

It's never been about being the majority audience. The emphasis on a majority audience ruined the genre.

We only have Classic Wow to reveal the interest in subscription MMORPG gaming. We merely wait and see. 

Some of you will use hollow predictions to try and prove otherwise. To that I say, wait and see, wait ... and ... see. It's not far off.

F2P players who play for free are powerless lemmings of the industry and they get the games they get now because of this. 
    Well said brother.  MMO's were originally a niche market built for a different type of player, that market and player got left behind in the quest for mass market appeal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    The genre stopped improving.
    It is the same murder, death, kill whack a mole experience for the last 20+ years. 
    Until technology improves to create vastly different experiences it will remain a small, barely viable genre
    Charging .50 a day does not make a game better or an experience better.

It even got worse.
    More loading screen, less open world.
    More lag in mass player battles.
    Less RPG, less social gameplay, less non-fighting skills, less skills overall.
    Less long quest lines.
    More anonymity through mega servers.

Everything got tuned down except of the graphics.

Vanguard was the last real MMORPG, everything afterwards was just a RPG light with zones, tuned down roleplay elements and 15min instanced dungeon crawler gameplay. Where the open world and quests are just a necessary evil to get into the instanced dungeon endgame instead of the main attraction.

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    If you can get your account to work you can try the Anarchy Online progression server since you mentioned "classic". Runescape too if you want to play a "classic" on mobile.

If you want a new MMORPG that is designed kind of to look and play like a "classic" you can try Legends of Aria or Project Gorgon.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    Maurgrim said:
    Battle Royal are the new thing, survival games are like locust cropping up everywhere, so what happen to the good old classic MMORPGs?
    We fell for the allure of "Crowdfunded" MMORPGs and held that as the next savior.  It turns out that Crowdfunding MMORPGs makes as much sense as braille drive-thru ATMs.  Which also exist by the way.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

BruceYee said:
    If you can get your account to work you can try the Anarchy Online progression server since you mentioned "classic". Runescape too if you want to play a "classic" on mobile.

If you want a new MMORPG that is designed kind of to look and play like a "classic" you can try Legends of Aria or Project Gorgon.
    I've got my eye on AO, but will wait until next week and hope their account management woes are settled. Only because I put A LOT of hours into that game back in the day and I know what I am getting into.

It won't be more than a pit stop on my way to playing Classic this summer however. 

You stay sassy!

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    For me, issue is lack of innovation. 

Also, I prefer to try games with a trial before i sub. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Elsabolts said:

I said this years ago that if you not willing to go B2P day one, at least go 5$ per month sub day 1. This will bring in more people.  15$ per month is old tradition that is dead now. We have more options now.
    Kyleran

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2019
    Maurgrim said:
    Well OP,i have been mentioning of late,a survival game i play Atlas,is doing more for the rpg aspect of gaming than every single rpg ever made.
    Personally labels have been a joke,devs just call their game whatever they want even if it does very little to support what they call it.

Example.how can you call yourself a rpg if you don't have any housing of any kind,it's like dumbfounded.
    i guess my point is the same as it always has been,I don't want crappy old game designs,those were nice for that era because it was about the best they could muster at the time.Develoeprs are capable now of soooooo much more and sadly a survival game is taking the steps forward.These survival games from Snail were actually an idea 10 years ago with Dark N light,so they were light years ahead of the  rest in THINKING and being creative and still after 10 years we get crap that looks like baldur's gate with locked cameras ,puny models,nothing looks real or immersive,just real bad cheap games.

Then the common argument i hear often is "you know how costly that design would be?".Well it shows you how clueless people are because i GUARANTEE Wildcard studios didn't spend squat making their games and went about it the fast way by using other people's work like nvidia physx and the Unreal engine.Now a days licensing is WAY more doable than in the past,now licenses are cheap and offered in forms of incentives and based on your success instead of one large payment.

So let me put Blizzard in the dumpster yet again.You know and i know how much money that corporation has locked up with Activision,can you imagine if they had the brains and care to make a great game the kind of game they could do would vault miles over what Wildcard studios did with Atlas but NO NO<Blizzard would rather make god awful cheap ass games because the turnover profit is so high and fast.

"Whahoppen?"Developers became greedy and cheap at the same time,they could be giving us 5 star rated games but choose not to.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138
    edited March 2019
    Elsabolts said:

If the product or service is good, people will be willing to pay for it. 

The problem is what @blueturtle13 stated, the genre got stale after so many years of the same loop with different skin.

There are exception, of course, but even them remained very similar. Massive Multiplayer Online Worlds, eventually tech will allow the genre to truly shine and a big company could try to make it reach it's full potential. I hope to be alive when it happens ;D or perhaps it's just wishful thinking... but a man can dream, dammit!.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Elsabolts said:
    Apart from those playing MMOs with one, not many but they are there and the classic servers which need a subscription on "F2P" MMOs. Interesting to see a subscription being the answer years of stagnation in a F2P game.

Tamanous said:
    The indie industry picks up the slack. Which is happening right now.

Also, there has never been more options to play old MMORPGs than right now and this is increasing (Classic Wow releasing in summer). Some modern, yet true MMORPGs are in development right now too.

I find the only people concerned are the one's expecting the big developers to continue their focus on MMOs. I find this odd considering they are the ones who destroyed the genre to being with.

With Albion and SotA, these are the only two I know to be out?

The genre has become rather tired, innovation occurs much more frequenlty and becomes taken up across the board in solo games. Look at the way SoM infulenced its genre and how quickly that gameplay was put into other games of its ilk. MMORPG's have great ideas which do not become standard from buddy levelling systems to RvR.
    AlBQuirky