Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW can become #1 MMO again in one easy step

BaalzharonBaalzharon Member RarePosts: 514
Release on Xbox and Playstation, bonus points if it releases on Nintendo's consoles 

Boom

Instant back to #1 popular MMO. And at least for FXIV, its on consoles and plays fine on consoles even though there is a ton of abilities to use.

Or ESO has the same amount of abilities (to use at one time) as WoW BFA does, and it plays fine and is so successful (well partly, its a good MMO too) because its also on consoles. That increases the amount of attention it gets and increases player count.

Of course "easy" probably not entirely accurate, but it be the easiest way to greatly increase sub count. 

Would probably need to do the ESO approach though and do a hybrid sub model, but works for ESO on consoles so no reason it wouldn't work for WoW.

But if blizzard really cared about staying as the #1 MMO, that be the way to do it. Besides, most MMO/pc gamers have already played/tried WoW at one point in time, and there are a ton more console gamers than PC gamers in general. It be a quick way to success. Plus console gamers tend to buy cash shop stuff even more than PC gamers do, so that also increases blizzard's income on top of that.
MargraveGregorMcgregorSabracViper482AlbatroesXarkoNeoyoshiGdemami

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    What is the #1 MMO now? If you don't mind me asking.
    HatefullSovrathSabracSamhaelkertinGaladournNeoyoshiGorwegrndzro
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited March 2019
    Release on Xbox and Playstation, bonus points if it releases on Nintendo's consoles 

Boom

Instant back to #1 popular MMO. And at least for FXIV, its on consoles and plays fine on consoles even though there is a ton of abilities to use.

Or ESO has the same amount of abilities (to use at one time) as WoW BFA does, and it plays fine and is so successful (well partly, its a good MMO too) because its also on consoles. That increases the amount of attention it gets and increases player count.

Of course "easy" probably not entirely accurate, but it be the easiest way to greatly increase sub count. 

Would probably need to do the ESO approach though and do a hybrid sub model, but works for ESO on consoles so no reason it wouldn't work for WoW.

But if blizzard really cared about staying as the #1 MMO, that be the way to do it. Besides, most MMO/pc gamers have already played/tried WoW at one point in time, and there are a ton more console gamers than PC gamers in general. It be a quick way to success. Plus console gamers tend to buy cash shop stuff even more than PC gamers do, so that also increases blizzard's income on top of that.
    So much generalization, although I see what you are getting at, I know you are inaccurate in quite a few areas. 

Blizzard does care, they just do not have anything to worry about. The only thing that will kill WoW, is WoW and while it may be in the process, it is a long way from dead.

Far more console players...you mean worldwide or are you speaking to a specific region? because that is nowhere near accurate. Read

Also 

Post edited by Hatefull on

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited March 2019
    Seeing how Classic Wow can eventually be packed into a content complete game, it would make a pretty massive game to be ported to consoles.

The engineering and cost of this port is well outside my knowledge. Seems a worthy consideration if it takes off on pc this summer. 

I don't feel Blizzard see the pc/console market as a primary focus anymore, but if just trying to maintain a base market share, porting already developed content may be worthy of a few thoughts.

The constant cost of porting the live game with each and every update, into a market that is 1/4 of the entire gaming market (50% mobile, 25% pc, 25% console) is likely to remain off of Blizzard's scope.
    HatefullGregorMcgregor

You stay sassy!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Probably ESO.
    GregorMcgregorDragneluskertin
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Im guessing Lineage 1............... still
    [Deleted User]Gorwe
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Ahhh I see, the "W" is silent. Understood.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I laugh at people still thinking Wow ever was #1 because even in it's vanilla state was never a very well designed game.It was a simple solo design that soon catered to the modern age terms like RAID..END game,both of which have NOTHING to do with role playing.

How good a game is or ever will be is subjective but what i have always done is rate games by what they CLAIM to be doing,depth/effort in the individual system designs and does each system MAKE SENSE.Then i think about immersion,does the game accomplish any kind of immersive feeling or is it simple a case of login screen,chase yellow markers around 90% of the time.

First and foremost,a MMO should FEEL open ended,like YOU are the player and YOU can decide what and where you want to go.If the game FORCES you to go where it wants,following around yellow markers in a linear fashion,then it fails as a mmorpg in a big way.

So when someone says a game is #1,you should have subjective reasons WHY and not just because it has a lot of players,that is NOT a reason that holds any water at all.

So my opinion,as of right now ,Atlas does the best job at being a mmorpg and it is not even a mmorpg,so that tells you how bad the mmorpg industry is.Atlas covers more ground on each individual aspect of a role playing game than any game claiming to a be a mmorpg,from BUILDING to needing to survive with food and water and vitamins,hunting,taming pets instead of just some fake loot drop system.Ship building,sailing the seas,building a fire,geesh build ANYWHERE,be it traps or ramps or protection or a home,whatever you feel like doing just like you would in real life.DISCOVERY is a real thing without yellow markers or sparklies holding your hand.An ECO system with weather/climate that matters,i could go on and on,no mmorpg has what Atlas has NONE of them.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Maddog666GregorMcgregorHatefullMightyUncleanViper482WalkinGlennSamhaelkertinand 5 others.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited March 2019
    In the west, the experts say the order is likely:

1. WoW
    2. ESO
    3. BDO
    4. GW2
    5. FFXIV

So, really, WoW is still number 1 and by a large margin. I suspect FFXIV and GW2 have changed places recently. They will have lost a lot of players after all the layoff stuff. I also think BDO might slip to 2nd place after the recent XBox launch.

They work it out by analysing community activity and social media stats.
    [Deleted User]Scot
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited March 2019
    Arterius said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Probably ESO.
    I think ESO and Final Fantasy 14 battle for the top. I would say one of those 2. Final Fantasy 14 is rumored to be sneaking up on WoW sub numbers. 
    ESO doesn't have a sub - makes a big difference. And quarterly DLC keeps people dropping in ... and out! Its also available on console. So whilst the numbers will be up and down comments like join 10M others .... strongly suggests that in terms of simple numbers its a good bet, imo, for #1 mmo.

Not an apples with apples comparison though. If you were to ask "how many subscriptions does it have" .... no data at all but it had to drop the mandatory sub. And the sub isn't needed. So even though the sub perks have improved the number is probably still not "huge".   

As far as FF14 sneaking up on WoW .... well FF14 certainly got a boost from China. I think the bigger reason though is WoW's decline.

Back end of 2015 Blizzard announced 5.4M; surprised people who expected a drop. (I think people forgot e.g. 3 month subs etc.)

A quarter later they dropped the sub number but gave out revenue. Revenue divided by average per sub - which had been just over $11 for several quarters - gave a figure of 3.8M.

They didn't make that "mistake" the next quarter but Blizzard's revenue was down c. 21% despite growth in e.g. HotS. Ignoring the new revenue streams and assuming that WoW only declined 21% - obviously if other titles grew then WoW would have to have dropped even more - you get an estimate of 3M. 

Then they launched Overwatch and we have had no idea since. However ever since WotLK the low point of the expansion fuelled boost followed by a decline has seen a lower low water mark. And everything suggests numbers - in the west - are lower than they were 3 years ago.

If it has declined in China as well though due to the payment model changes + growth of other games then - well maybe FF14 is up there with WoW. How much is speculation and how much is informed speculation though. Last year all that SE said was:

"In the area of massively multiplayer online role playing games, revenues from the latest expansions of “FINAL FANTASY XIV” and “DRAGON QUEST X” led to an increase in the number of paying subscribers and disk sales, which resulted in an increase of net sales and operating income as compared to the prior fiscal year."

Prior to the release of FF14 in China though subs for FF11, FF14 and DQ were - according to their report at c. 1M though so it really comes down to China. Launch was - reportedly fine - but was that growth sustained.

Also whilst comparing ESO to WoW is a bit like comparing oranges (ESO) to apples (WoW) when you try and compare them to FF14 you discover that FF14 is more of a pear ..... because FF14 doesn't work on a simple monthly sub. In Japan last time I checked there were e.g. 10 days subs, 3 day subs (or was that just for DQ), extra payments for more character slot. Bottomline its model was different than that for WoW.

So when we talk about #1 mmo ....... what does it mean? And does it really matter?

Edit: I thought about mentioning Runequest, Destiny, Division, Maple Story etc. but I wanted to avoid the what is an mmo topic.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    [Deleted User]
    Arterius said:
    Wizardry said:
    I laugh at people still thinking Wow ever was #1 because even in it's vanilla state was never a very well designed game.It was a simple solo design that soon catered to the modern age terms like RAID..END game,both of which have NOTHING to do with role playing.

How good a game is or ever will be is subjective but what i have always done is rate games by what they CLAIM to be doing,depth/effort in the individual system designs and does each system MAKE SENSE.Then i think about immersion,does the game accomplish any kind of immersive feeling or is it simple a case of login screen,chase yellow markers around 90% of the time.

First and foremost,a MMO should FEEL open ended,like YOU are the player and YOU can decide what and where you want to go.If the game FORCES you to go where it wants,following around yellow markers in a linear fashion,then it fails as a mmorpg in a big way.

So when someone says a game is #1,you should have subjective reasons WHY and not just because it has a lot of players,that is NOT a reason that holds any water at all.

So my opinion,as of right now ,Atlas does the best job at being a mmorpg and it is not even a mmorpg,so that tells you how bad the mmorpg industry is.Atlas covers more ground on each individual aspect of a role playing game than any game claiming to a be a mmorpg,from BUILDING to needing to survive with food and water and vitamins,hunting,taming pets instead of just some fake loot drop system.Ship building,sailing the seas,building a fire,geesh build ANYWHERE,be it traps or ramps or protection or a home,whatever you feel like doing just like you would in real life.DISCOVERY is a real thing without yellow markers or sparklies holding your hand.An ECO system with weather/climate that matters,i could go on and on,no mmorpg has what Atlas has NONE of them.
    Atlas is a terrible game man. How do you hate every game on the planet but a game with a negative score on Steam is the game that you will die on the hill on?
    I can appreciate Wiz as he posts even when most disagree so can respect that but Christ I would hate to play a MMO that he creates.  Just smash my balls with vice grips and call me Sally, would be less painful.
    I think Wiz has blocked everyone that disagrees and is living in blissful ignorance.
    KilraneRobsolfHatefullPalebane[Deleted User]
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I don't know about #1 but I would surely play it on PS4. The game already has the option to switch to action camera, and there is an addon that changes the entire UI to a gamepad configuration and it works well. Put those 2 together and you have another mmo ready to be ported to consoles.

I doubt it will ever happen, but if it does come to PS5 in a couple years i'll be there on day 1. But honestly i'd rather have GW(both 1 and 2) ported as a collection instead.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Wizardry said:

Right on, dog!  That's why anybody that knows what REAL MMO's are, knows that Auto Assault was the king of them all!!!!!1!!!
    edited March 2019
    gervaise1 said:
    Probably ESO.
    obviously depends but I looked this up. By that metric, it is not ESO but WoW.

@Wizardry isn't a gamer, he is simply a complainer. And possibly a drunk. Definitely owns more than one tinfoil hat.
    [Deleted User]viddster

Hatefull said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Probably ESO.

@Wizardry isn't a gamer, he is simply a complainer. And possibly a drunk. Definitely owns more than one tinfoil hat.
    Well, according to that runescape has more players despite it showing up as #2 (formatting is a bit weird since copy/pasted from the site)

1  World of Warcraft1,487,184 - growth 2.60%
    2Old School RuneScape!1,690,762 - growth 4.13%
    Very true! I guess people really loved OS Runescape. My apologies I did not read the numbers, just the positions.

edited March 2019
    Hatefull said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Probably ESO.

That site is complete garbage. According to that there's only 8,918,602 playing MMOs total in the world. What a load of rubbish.

I mean, apparently 14,000 people are playing Wildstar. About 500 playing Wizardry Online, which has closed down too. Half a million playing ESO? It's got like 3-4 million players. Only 1.5 million playing WoW? Lmfao.

Yeah, really reliable.

Go to this link and scroll up and down the page. It keep changing the numbers every time you scroll back to it hahahahaha.

https://mmo-population.com/r/wow/
    Baalzharongervaise1Celcius
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Why would them being more popular make the game any more better for me?

How about more variety content? And more combat dynamics.

-Add a dodge ability, and give all classes an OP AOE ability with a long CD. 

-synergize their other games onto their MMO, such as their card game as a mini game in WoW. You can log into WoW to play a card game, so there is 'ambience'.

-add Steam shift Tab for WoW, and you can still be in WoW while using the internet for 'ambience' or just for WoW guides etc

-Player created pvp maps

-player created mini games as before with wc3 with dota, tower defense etc, but for WoW

-platforming /puzzles in WoW, platforming can be for getting small permenant stat upgrades rewards

- add many more races to WoW character creation, with a more indepth character creator

- add more details to game world, and upgrade graphics even more

- 'AI' to controll NPC movement (OPEN WORLD EVENTS) and make the world become alive with ongoing events that can be shifted with player involvement

- make all content accessible to any lvl, unless its raid/end game content, so a high lvl can go to a starter world and do pve content with an open world event (orc invasion onto a city etc)

- Destruction to game world

- Special server for conquest with super speed in gaining exp and gold and a new feauture of hiring NPCS to fight and expand until there is a winner for server 

-Perma Death server

- FFA PVP server with full loot - change exp to skills, so no lvls (accessible to those that played one high lvl character)

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

Hatefull said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Probably ESO.

That site is complete garbage. According to that there's only 8,918,602 playing MMOs total in the world. What a load of rubbish.

I mean, apparently 14,000 people are playing Wildstar. About 500 playing Wizardry Online, which has closed down too. Half a million playing ESO? It's got like 3-4 million players. Only 1.5 million playing WoW? Lmfao.

Yeah, really reliable.

Go to this link and scroll up and down the page. It keep changing the numbers every time you scroll back to it hahahahaha.

https://mmo-population.com/r/wow/
    It's the same fucking site. No idea about the disparity of data, but when you drill into specific games you seem to get more accurate numbers. So good one, the site is garbage lol.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Oh I thought he was going to say if it goes f2p
    HatefullCelcius
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read...
    Trust me when I say anyone who wanted to play WoW found a way without a garbo console release. Whether it be internet cafes or getting a friggen job and buying a pc. The minimum requirements to run WoW are easily afforded by most.

WoW will never be number 1 again because its a steaming pile of excrement. Add on's have automated game into oblivion. PVP is completely ruined by the automations. When someone can use an add on to automatically target anyone using a healing spell and follow up with chain cc. That is no longer an add on. That is blatant hacking.

And Blizzard sits back counting their money working on their new mobile game while the people too dumb to see how bad the game is continues to funnel money into their pockets.

GG no RE

craftseeker
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Wizardry said:

Trying to get the record number of WTF's?
    Celcius
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Boom

No.

None of this will matter if they do not start listening to their player base. BFA was a shitshow for one reason: lack of devs listening to player testers. All of the things that made BFA bomb were identified by the testers and they went live anyway. Blizzard thinks it knows how to make you have fun in WoW more than you know what is fun to you. Until they get over their arrogant bullshit WoW will continue to slide down until it is just another old MMO making money off the few players left who can't let go.
    PalebaneSabrac
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    if they let spellcasters cast their spells on the run. and yea if it was on ps4 i probably spend my precious time on it .
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    WoW 2.0
    Scot