Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs and games are changing because society is changing (in regards to social aspects)

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited March 2019
    Amathe said:
    My daughter's phone broke a few years ago, She was sad and said "I have no phone. I'm a broken millennial."  
    Was walking into work yesterday across a very long parking lot..  The temperature was 2 degrees freezing cold wind blowing hard and still dark.  I passed by this girl playing a video game on her phone as she was walking in...... Would that qualify as a millennial ?
    While geezers like me go for daily 3 mile walks with my face glued to MMORPG.com

The typing part can be a bit challenging if I'm moving too quickly.

"Quickly" being a relative term of course.

:D
    AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Amathe said:
    My daughter's phone broke a few years ago, She was sad and said "I have no phone. I'm a broken millennial."  
    Was walking into work yesterday across a very long parking lot..  The temperature was 2 degrees freezing cold wind blowing hard and still dark.  I passed by this girl playing a video game on her phone as she was walking in...... Would that qualify as a millennial ?
    We like to take the micky out of what the "youth" get up to, but let's be honest we did far dafter things than that. :)
    Platform heel shoes, silk shirts, and plaid bell bottoms for men immediately come to mind.

Never wearing seatbelts while drinking and driving are right up there as well. 

:# The way I see it. If your drunk and crash without a seat belt, you would fly out the window and less chance of banging your head on the steering wheel...At least that's how I took it when I was 16.

AlBQuirky
    The way I see it. If your drunk and crash without a seat belt, you would fly out the window and less chance of banging your head on the steering wheel...At least that's how I took it when I was 16.
    Kyleran
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Amathe said:
    We like to take the micky out of what the "youth" get up to, but let's be honest we did far dafter things than that. :)
    Platform heel shoes, silk shirts, and plaid bell bottoms for men immediately come to mind.

Never wearing seatbelts while drinking and driving are right up there as well. 

:# 

edited March 2019
    Palebane said:
    I feel like marketing and advertising have always targeted young people, and the young people of today do seem more disconnected. Which comes first the chicken or the egg? Hard to say. Did we make them this way or have they made us this way?
    Definitely a good time for some classic AC / DC. C'mon let's sing it, "who made who, who made you?"

Gobstopper3DPalebanekitarad

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:
    While geezers like me go for daily 3 mile walks with my face glued to MMORPG.com

And the human gene pool gets murkier and murkier, thanks to all these "safeguards" that keep people alive who are too stupid to be alive :lol:

Palebane

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

The way I see it. If your drunk and crash without a seat belt, you would fly out the window and less chance of banging your head on the steering wheel...At least that's how I took it when I was 16.
    Yep, the justification we used was not wanting to be "trapped" in the seat belts while the car was burning.

Recall this was in the era of the "exploding" Ford Pintos so it was not an entirely irrational justification. 

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Sorry OP but your argument is flawed.  It has nothing to do with the social construct and everything to do with the change in attitude towards technology.  Technology saves us time and has been to the point where patience is limited.  It has everything to do with competing for the casual market, to get the people that have 1-2hrs to spend.  These people usually spend more since they have less time to interact with the game, ie. see mobile gaming industry growth and revenue.

If your game is too complex to start up or takes too long to play then it won't even be considered by the casual market.  Growing up with the start of MMOs before they were mainstream has a lasting effect of patience, these things weren't easy and they took a lot of your time.  You knew that going into it.  Hell I remember draining away hours of the day just waiting to group for things, sometimes up to 12hrs.  Especially those FFXI days.

Now days 6hrs of my time has a value, so being able to jump in an MMO click a button and group up with randoms in 10-15mins or less has way more value then sitting in a hub and shouting for a group.  However in the server there is still global communication going on, there is still guilds having conversations.  There is still social elements going on, just don't expect that when grouping up with a bunch of randos that want to achieve nothing but go through the dungeon as quick as possible.

As for social constructs in life. I see people talking at group meetups all the time, there's still people playing dungeon and dragons and board games and card games.  There is still groups for parents and children to interact, there's your YMCA or youth groups.  There's still girl scouts and boy scouts, there's still sports groups outside schools.  There's still bar volleyball, there's still swap meets.

Mobile technology just makes things easier to stay connected to the things in your life as apposed to finding things to connect to in life.
    AlBQuirky
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    edited March 2019
    Really a lot less complicated.

Life got faster, time got more precious, entertainment became more readily and quickly available - i.e. more options for less cost etc.

So, everything sped up.

Good analogy is Blockbuster video. Wait for new movie to be out on video, drive to video store, browse selection, check out movie, drive home. Watch movie. Drive back to video store, rinse repeat.

Now? New movies released directly to streaming platform just turn on and hit play.

Also, the world has gotten more social, more connected... but because we are always connected to the people we want to be connected to, we interact with stranger less. It's pretty simple.

We've also converted to a consumer-based society, to the extreme. Strangers are now suppliers of whatever it is we're trying to consume. Uber, GrubHub... people aren't looking to make a connection to their cabbie, they're looking to get from point A to point B. 

The tank in LFG queue is just a necessary tool I need to complete dungeon X as a healer. Sure you should confirm to standard social norms, but don't have to be always looking for new friends.

Sure it's dehumanizing, but again - we are more social and more connected, just only to the people we want to be social and connected to.
    HashbrickKyleranAlBQuirkyimmodium
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited March 2019
    BadSpock said:
    .. we are more social and more connected, just only to the people we want to be social and connected to.
    Disagree. People seem less social and connected in general, even to people they like, from my perspective.
    KyleranAlBQuirky

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Palebane said:
    BadSpock said:
    .. we are more social and more connected, just only to the people we want to be social and connected to.
    Disagree. People seem less social and connected in general, even to people they like, from my perspective.
    I disagree with your disagreement.  Twitter & Facebook is a clear indicator people are connected.  If your statement was true it wouldn't still be popular and used ALL THE TIME. 
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Kyleran said:
    Yep, the justification we used was not wanting to be "trapped" in the seat belts while the car was burning.

Recall this was in the era of the "exploding" Ford Pintos so it was not an entirely irrational justification. 
    I always wore my seat belt after I took a hard left turn and ended up in the passenger seat trying to steer my mid-60's Plymouth Valiant.
    AlBQuirky
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Scot said:
    Amathe said:
    no we don't u.u
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    This is because the publishing companies are trying to carter to the masses for the Share Holder NOT the gamer.   So therefore they going to cater to everyone and most people dont want to be bothered to put ANY effort into a game because they have a job you know and cant be bothered with life at all.   With that said the Paradigm is starting to shift because this crowd that just goes with the Popular thing will shift away from MMORPGS and MMORPGS in time will become profitable again because they will focus on the MMORPG player not the popular iPhone crowd.   Look what is already happening with iPhones, people use to spend their life waiting for the latest iPhone. But today people are like fuck that shit its too expensive and I get no new shinny out of it.  Now they will move on to the next Shinny thing.   

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:

I am over 60 years old and do 5.5 miles (9 km) everyday. You wimp.
    Amathe

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Hashbrick said:
    Palebane said:
    BadSpock said:
    I disagree with your disagreement.  Twitter & Facebook is a clear indicator people are connected.  If your statement was true it wouldn't still be popular and used ALL THE TIME. 
    Who here thinks that human beings "communicate" with just words? If you truly believe that this mass of online communication is more connecting than face to face talks, this illustrates the whole problem in a nutshell.
    Palebane

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:

Do you work? If I didn't I'd be exercising more too, but the day job and commute consumes roughly 13 hrs of every day.

I skip eating lunch and walk for an hour to squeeze what I can in.

ikcin said:
    BadSpock said:
    Really a lot less complicated.

Life got faster, time got more precious, entertainment became more readily and quickly available - i.e. more options for less cost etc.

So, everything sped up.

Good analogy is Blockbuster video. Wait for new movie to be out on video, drive to video store, browse selection, check out movie, drive home. Watch movie. Drive back to video store, rinse repeat.

Now? New movies released directly to streaming platform just turn on and hit play.

Also, the world has gotten more social, more connected... but because we are always connected to the people we want to be connected to, we interact with stranger less. It's pretty simple.

We've also converted to a consumer-based society, to the extreme. Strangers are now suppliers of whatever it is we're trying to consume. Uber, GrubHub... people aren't looking to make a connection to their cabbie, they're looking to get from point A to point B. 

The tank in LFG queue is just a necessary tool I need to complete dungeon X as a healer. Sure you should confirm to standard social norms, but don't have to be always looking for new friends.

Sure it's dehumanizing, but again - we are more social and more connected, just only to the people we want to be social and connected to.
    Life is not faster, the access is easier. You may access other people, games, products, services anywhere in any time. This is the global world. Also you probably have more free time than your parents and for sure much more free time than your grandparents had.
    Er no, my parents were both 8 to 5 office workers, taking 1 to 2 hrs for lunch. 

Dad was in sales, he really only worked 7 hours a day or so and in summers went home around 3 pm to play golf on Wed and Fridays.

I've worked 45 to 55 hrs a week most of my life, including many weekends and overnight, something my parents never did.

Statistically Americans are working more than ever before, and it appears our children will be doing even more.

One can say many things about Americans in general, but when it comes to our jobs we are some of the hardest working folks out there.

https://20somethingfinance.com/american-hours-worked-productivity-vacation/

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:

Do you work? If I didn't I'd be exercising more too, but the day job and commute consumes roughly 13 hrs of every day.

I don't commute but I work like a dog . I am a housewife with a house full of people that live like they are in a hotel.
    PalebaneIselinHatefullAlBQuirky

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Hashbrick said:
    Palebane said:
    BadSpock said:
    People like to run their mouths with total anonymity more, sure. But I would hardly call that social interaction. Guess its just a matter of perspective.
    AlBQuirky

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Dopamine. Instant gratification. That is ultimately what changed the genre. People don’t want to wait for the stuff that makes them feel rewarded. I remember reading  a study that found people who cheated on tests felt the same level of gratification as those that studied. The same could be said for gaming both with cheating and skipping the journey. 
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited March 2019

What a load of rubbish.

Games are changing because developers and publishers come up with new ideas. Partly for monetization reasons, partly for tech advancement reasons and partly because new gaming platforms makes indie development more viable.

People did not suddenly become less talkative over the last two decades. If anything people chat and use voice way more online then ever before. You could actually claim that it boosts online gaming. Also group gaming.
    Just not the online gaming that the OP is interested in. But for that problem you have to look at the gaming companies that decided that small scale online gaming with micro transactions makes more money. These games are faster to develop and less costly to maintain then large scale MMORP

It is still as social as you want it to be. Like in the past, it comes down to finding a group of like minded players.
    rodingoAlBQuirky
    edited March 2019
    kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:

I don't commute but I work like a dog . I am a housewife with a house full of people that live like they are in a hotel.
    Guess what, "housewife" is my part time job (shared with my wife who also works 40 plus) which I do on my "free time", along with lawn maintenence, handyman poolboy, and accountant. (those ones are solely mine)

Previous part time jobs I also had to cover, Scout Leader, Soccer Coach,Tutor, Daycare etc)

It was hard to find time to play MMORPGs, but I was surprised to learn how little sleep one can really live on.

;)
    HatefullAlBQuirky

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Dopamine. Instant gratification. That is ultimately what changed the genre. People don’t want to wait for the stuff that makes them feel rewarded. I remember reading  a study that found people who cheated on tests felt the same level of gratification as those that studied. The same could be said for gaming both with cheating and skipping the journey. 
    You look at it all wrong. All the fast paced BR games are basically nowadays shooters. Shooters, which stood at the beginning of online gaming. There has always been huge demand for fast online pvp games and there will always be this demand. To keep PVP fun, you get rid of downtime for the people that suck at it.

Before WoW, MMORPG's were niche. MMORPG's were only mainstream for a relatively short time. Now they are going back to becoming niche again. This is because for many players it has been replaced by smaller scale survival worlds that fixes their sandbox cravings.

I love MMORPGs. But most are simply stuck in the past , using arbitrary mechanics to slow down progression and call it ' challenge' . And give you rewards that are basically just a lifting of a penalty (classic example,vanilla WoW mount at lvl40 in a world clearly designed for mounts and immersively making no sense to put it at that high lvl).

Some, like GW2 and ESO have changed that. But it is too little and too late. Publishing companies are now moving away from MMORPG's for money reasons.

You don't have to like the faster paced games, or even the changes. But it has nothing to do with ' instant gratification' . Gaming will always change, it is the main reason why MMORPGs were developed in the first place.
    AlBQuirky
  • sausagemixsausagemix Member UncommonPosts: 96

This whole thread.

squibblyAlBQuirky