Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ideal Franken-MMO

45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
What parts of various games would you put together to create your ideal MMO? Personally, I'd go with:

Crafting: SWG

Combat: Vermintide

World: Skyrim

Graphics: Black Desert

Progression: Fallout

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    World: SWG with all the planets
    Graphics: BDO
    Combat: kingdom come deliverance for melee, 1st or 3rd person for spells and ranged

Progression: path of exile with huge passive tree

Monetization: f2p with cosmetic shop only

Developer; Grinding Gear Games (makers of path of exile) 

Housing: just like SWG, but way more housing options. Every item can be dropped in your house

Mounts or pets: mortal online

PVP: like EVE where risk is controlled depending on location 

Trade system: personal shops with finder and search feature 

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    World and housing: Wurm online - Everything is changeable, you can terraform anything and you need to make everything 
    Combat: Mount & Blade
    PVP: Eve style, safe areas and high reward free loot pvp areas need to exist to please all players

Deliver me these and I will get a lifetime sub in an instant.
    Cryomatrix

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Crafting-Mostly SWG with a mix of mortal online
    World-Darkfall online size with Wurm online terraforming and Diablo or Conan gritty world
    Combat- Darkfall online mixed with Mount and blade
    PVP- Partial loot in most places Full loot in high risk areas with safe zones that include npc cities and player government cities(but can still be siege'd and attacked during war). 
    10+ factions that allow inner clan fighting, but ultimate goal of conquering other factions and territory.

Everything can be controlled even npc cities, players can have fiefdoms collect land taxes.

Robust political system where at first npcs would be in charge of roles like chieftains,town mayor, nobles, kings, but can lose those placements via conquering, feats, elections, coercer. Each faction would have a system in place tailored to their polices: democracy,Monarchy, dictatorship,council, but can be changed through player interaction. How Chronicles of Eylsia claims to be. There one in development way back around 2006-2008 but they never made it far.

MurderHerd

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited March 2019
    Crafting: Anything that isn't grinding fixed recipes

World / Lore: Horizon Zero Dawn

Combat: Horizon Zero Dawn

Graphics: Horizon Zero Dawn

Progression: Path of Exile

Housing (inc. garden): FFXIV (i.e. instanced wards... just without the limits that FFXIV has, and way more variety in ward size, type, etc.)

PvP: Duels only... game will be balanced for PvE

Trade: NPC and player run shops, can place advertisements for global search

End-game: Fight for control of the world versus the machines
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Combat: Dark Souls/Nioh
    Atmosphere: TSW
    World type: Vanguard
    progession/character development: no levelling but gathering of skills and modifiers to use on a limited hotbar (think D3). Also basic stat boosts through gear.
    Crafting: Full fledged class like in FFXIV with the depth of SWG/EQ2
    Graphics: FFXIV, best design out there for characters, npcs, monsters etc. ESO graphics for the actual world.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Crafting: Mix of A Tale In The Desert, Puzzle Pirates, and a Farming sim.

World: WoW plus Elder Scrolls for NPC factions and NPC interactability but a more exotic feel more like Rift or Perfect World

Combat: That's the toughest choice for me.  I like Dofus/Disgaea turn-based tactical combat a lot, especially with more of a pet capturing and training theme.  That seems to be what works best with hunting monsters for crafting materials in a semi-realistic way.  I like realtime arcade-style combat but it doesn't seem to work anywhere near as well in an MMO as in a single-player game.  And the combat system is such and important choice because it affects what's appropriate for the other design choices of the game.

Graphics: I'm not that picky.  It should be colorful and pretty, and stylized enough for me to be able to easily recognize what I'm seeing; I don't really care whether it's the kind of fantasy art you'd see on the cover of a novel, or whether it's a grown-up anime style.

Progression/Character Development: Hmm.  What if we took the skill-buy system of Dofus but eliminated classes, instead pooling all the abilities together for everyone to make unique builds from?  That's only really appropriate if the combat is also like Dofus' though.  But, I don't really like the way you get stat points to spend on whatever you want in that system; I prefer to be able to directly earn stat points by doing relevant activities.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    Crafting: Mortal online
    Combat: GW1
    Skill system: ESO
    World: BDO
    Graphics: BDO
    PvP: maybe some kind of Meridian59 with a thougher Newbie-Angel and also being KOS in many cities

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I've been thinking about this since I first read the thread. Honestly, I don't think I've played enough MMOs to make a "Franken-MMO."

I really miss factions, though. Many players poo-pooed them, saying they were easily dealt with, or got around. What they emphasized, though, were the differences between players. It also provided extra content if a player wanted to change how factions viewed them. EQ was the only MMORPG I played that had these with any significance. There may be others that I never played.

I also miss EQ's and vanilla WoW's skill usage (that has gone away now). Watching skills level up as you use them was always a treat for me. And warriors with all their weapon proficiencies didn't get bored using the same weapon all the time. Now, WoW auto-levels your skills when you get the next level. EQ has suffered some on this, too.

I also miss the differences between players, due to races and/or religion. I miss all the different starting cities to explore with my alts and being killed on sight (KOS) in opposing cities. Again, EQ showed me this feature.

EQ was not a spectacular game, don't get me wrong. But it had a lot of "RPG" elements that I miss now in today's "everyone is equal" MMOs.

PS: I've been told that UO had many of these features, too, though I never played it.
    Ungood

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Crafting: Vanguard

Combat: TERA

World: The Secret World

Graphics: Cyberpunk 2077

Progression: Ultima Online
    AlBQuirky

Joined - July 2004

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    I posted this in another thread. Will just copy paste here since it also fits this discussion. 

I am still looking for that gem of a MMO that has all the things I been wanting all in one game.

I want a Old AV like instanced Faction vs Faction mode, not the 3 world WvW system like GW2, I rather have two factions and each team being fixed number of either 40 or 50 players per group with a queue to let players replace players that leave. Single match last hours at a time if not more, with heavy hitting NPCs that can punch your face off or drop aerial bombs that blow the crap out your crew.

I want Dynamite Events like GW2 does especially for the Large scale fights in open world. At least 10 to 15 meta events rotated in on a timer. GW2 made the mistake here of not adding new meta events to the timer, and the ones they did they were only Temporary and never seen again. 

If open world pvp is a thing I want reason for enemy factions to want to invade Capitol cities and cause a random rampage. I liked that in WoW. But want it more often but not like a everyday thing. Maybe a 3 times a week event on random timers or something. 

I like character progression but I am good with the horizontal progression like Guild Wars 2 does and have new skins unlocked, but as for the main progression mechanics I would like this to be a group thing. Maybe Guild Progression, Faction Progression or PvE faction progression.  But less individual progression here.

Also NO PLAYER LEVELS. This is a killer. To me at this point, levels are just a time sink. Leave levels to the group progression mechanics I mentioned above.  But levels only divide the game community and the game world. I want the whole game to be Endgame, not just small high level areas. Look at GW2 for example, it has level scaling, and I play mostly as a max level on any of my slots. I can go anywhere and do anything.  But when I am on a brand new alt I am limited to where I can go, and what I can do. As a max level, those levels mean nothing to me. I play just find. Get rid of them. They useless. Let me play the game like I already am at max level. Again make other forms of progression primary. 

Group Trinity is a must but need some adjustments.  I hate the non trinity combat design of GW2 Vanilla. I hate it. I also hated the WoW wait times of its Trinity design. Rift in my opinion did some things a bit better with the addition of the Support role. This is a major factor in improving the trinity in Pugs. I played a Healer in Vanilla WoW and Rift. And it's a role that places great pressure on that player. Having a side Support character in the group to help with the healing while still doing DPS (which is the one role everybody loves) took a lot of pressure off me as a healer. Also Support could sometimes off tank. It's been many years since I played Rift, but the Mage class had a Healer tree that healed the team through doing damage. That's the kind of change I am talking about. Make some healers heal through Dishing out DPS. As for Tanking I believe the problem isnt the lack of Tanks, it's the group sizes are too small per tank. 4:1 tank group ratio need to change to a standard 7 man group sizes. This way more dps players and healers and support players run with each individual tank player. This way no need to increase number of tanks in the game. Another thing, just because the group sizes are bigger doesnt mean this kind of content need to be on WoW Raid level difficulty.  We talking about the same difficulty as any other normal 5 man dungeon just standard party size is 7 players instead of 5. Raid content can remain harder and require more players. Also I do feel Tanks should baseline get more UI tools ingame that normally be in add ons like Aggro meters and dungeon maps and stuff like that. Make it ingame exclusive UI features to people playing Tanks. Also a LFG tool should be standard by now. Stop with the fake ego stuff about being more social blahs blahs bah. Make it standard day one feature. Rift's developers Trion worlds was like this at first as well since many people felt back then LFG tool took a lot of flack in WoW for desocializing the game, but soon Trion changed their tune and realized just how important this feature is and perhaps why Blizzard added it in the first place.

The Sub for these MMOs also need to come down. Either go with the GW2 gem store B2P model or come down with the standard sub to 6$ per month. 15$a month is not going to cut it anymore. We have way more options today than the past. A free weekend or free to play Friday system would be nice to keep people playing and seeing what changes are made over updates. Keeps the population growing.

Player housing is a must. Open world kind could be nice but maybe in a separate part of the game world that can group as time progresses to make room for growing number of players. Fighting over land spots for such a good feature never works today. Archeage tried that. I say have it as a separate map of the game world if you plan to do this as a open world thing, if not just make it all instanced player housing like Rift did. This adds incredible amount of Dynamic content. Just make sure players can have more than one locations to build up for never ending content here. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Crafting: SWG (original); honorable mention EQ2. 

Combat:  SWG (original)

World:  GW2

Graphics: Black Desert (based on media images - have not played it)

Progression: Everquest (with its bazillion AA points)
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests