Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DOTA 2 Auto Chess?

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
I'm not a DOTA player. Let me get that out of the way :)

I've seen this game played. It looks interesting and fun. But it concerns me, too.

Basics:
It is basically a "deck building game" where players choose what "pieces" whey will play for each match. Each match has 9 games going on simultaneously (I am unsure if this player vs player or player vs AI), with only one pool from which to draft your pieces. This is the strategic part of the game. You may take a piece you don't want just to mess with other players. If you take it, they can't have it.
===============================

Then the concerning part (for me) happens: The game autoplays every match. Players don't even play chess, or need to know how to play chess. They just draft their pieces then let the game go. The name of the game is quite appropriate: AUTO Chess. The point of the game is NOT to play chess, but to maximize your drafting.

This concerns me because I recall a few years ago joking about "I WIN" buttons becoming the next big thing in video games. This isn't an "I WIN!" button, but do players actually win their matches? Is drafting and progressing the pieces enough?

It must be, for this game has taken off. If I recall correctly (up for debate, I know), didn't Bethesda's Legends game autoplay, too?

I find myself wondering, and hoping to find some insight here, why do players NOT want to play the video games they buy/download?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited March 2019
    Man, it's not really that simple. If you really think putting random units on the board will make you win, you're in for a lot of loses.

Units have a Race (Some multiple) and a Class, they give bonuses the more of the same you use. Positioning is KEY against certain type of classes:

- Assassins jump at your back units, you need to protect your back line by either putting your units in a corner, or sacrifice some of your melee units and placing them in the back.

- Mages are squishy but very powerful. Putting them in the front line is a death sentence.

- Knights ability (just learned this myself) starts giving a chance to proc 3 seconds after the fight starts, so keeping them in the top line gives them a disadvantage.

- Units that deal AOE or Splash damage need to be taken into consideration. If you put all your units together, you're gonna have a bad time (unless you can counter it).

- Being able to check your opponent's positioning and adjusting accordingly is key in winning.

Hell, even items you can't simply give them randomly to units. For instance, items that increase damage don't work on magical units. You also need to pay attention on how you want to combine those weapons to get the best ones based on your army.

I'm still newish to the game (around 50 hours), and the amount of people not knowing what to do is quite astonishing. There's guides that explain in more depth about this.
    rertezAlBQuirkyAlmostLancelot

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Bloodaxes said:
    Man, it's not really that simple. If you really think putting random units on the board will make you win, you're in for a lot of loses.

Units have a Race (Some multiple) and a Class, they give bonuses the more of the same you use. Positioning is KEY against certain type of classes:

- Assassins jump at your back units, you need to protect your back line by either putting your units in a corner, or sacrifice some of your melee units and placing them in the back.

- Mages are squishy but very powerful. Putting them in the front line is a death sentence.

- Knights ability (just learned this myself) starts giving a chance to proc 3 seconds after the fight starts, so keeping them in the top line gives them a disadvantage.

- Units that deal AOE or Splash damage need to be taken into consideration. If you put all your units together, you're gonna have a bad time (unless you can counter it).

- Being able to check your opponent's positioning and adjusting accordingly is key in winning.

Hell, even items you can't simply give them randomly to units. For instance, items that increase damage don't work on magical units. You also need to pay attention on how you want to combine those weapons to get the best ones based on your army.

I'm still newish to the game (around 50 hours), and the amount of people not knowing what to do is quite astonishing. There's guides that explain in more depth about this.
    Thanks for that insight :)

As I said, I'm not a player of either DOTA 2 or this game. I know that choosing your units is the strategic part, but my question still remains, "Why do players not want to play the games they install?"

The wonder of chess is the strategy involved in moving one's pieces and guessing what the opponent will do. Having the matches play out with the AI seems kind of counter-productive to me. I'm sure I'm missing something :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:
    Bloodaxes said:

As I said, I'm not a player of either DOTA 2 or this game. I know that choosing your units is the strategic part, but my question still remains, "Why do players not want to play the games they install?"

The wonder of chess is the strategy involved in moving one's pieces and guessing what the opponent will do. Having the matches play out with the AI seems kind of counter-productive to me. I'm sure I'm missing something :)
    It's a mix between a strategy game and a card game if you will. In strategy games you don't actually fight either, you just direct them to the battle.

I forgot to mention from your OP, that after the first 3 rounds you start fighting against the other people units. Then from round 10 onwards, every 5 rounds it's a PVE fight (Including 10). If there's still people fighting from round 50 (I believe) onwards, after every round each player gets fatigue damage (1), and keeps on going until there's a winner. 
    AlBQuirky

Bloodaxes said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Bloodaxes said:

It's a mix between a strategy game and a card game if you will. In strategy games you don't actually fight either, you just direct them to the battle.

I forgot to mention from your OP, that after the first 3 rounds you start fighting against the other people units. Then from round 10 onwards, every 5 rounds it's a PVE fight (Including 10). If there's still people fighting from round 50 (I believe) onwards, after every round each player gets fatigue damage (1), and keeps on going until there's a winner. 
    Thanks again! I learn more about DOTA 2's Auto Chess :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• ThroutleThroutle Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    As far as I understood from https://gosu.ai/ blog Dota2 is some kind of a mode? Am I right?
  • Franz123Franz123 Newbie CommonPosts: 6
    Throutle said:
    As far as I understood from https://gosu.ai/ blog Dota2 is some kind of a mode? Am I right?
    Yes, you are correct.
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    dota 2 is free and so is auto chess.
    why don't you try a few games and figure out for yourself why people are drawn to it instead of speculating ?

be careful though, it's extremely addictive.
    ananit said:
    why don't you try a few games and figure out for yourself why people are drawn to it instead of speculating ?

Thanks, but I'll pass :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    AlBQuirky said:
    ananit said:

why though ?
    ananit said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    ananit said:

why though ?
    DOTA 2 and Auto Chess are not games that interest me. Why would I "try them?" I've played games long enough that I know what interests me and what does not :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    DOTA auto chess really affirmed what i said for a long time,that gamers just follow each other around like puppets jumping in on every new trend.

Inside Hearthstone ,players MANY/MOST got really bored with the game.Ok fine it is expected right?
    One problem,a few popular streamers go to auto chess,what happens after is seemingly EVERY single known HS streamer followed each other in auto chess.

We had so many top hyped games enter the market but they followed each other like holding hands all into the exact same game.it is even a good game?No but i can see why some would jump in.it's EASY to jump in,rather easy to play and being automated players can not feel like the yare bad players because they can just blame losing on RNG,the random auto play of the game.
    I gave it consideration for about 10 minutes but then never touched it and couldn't care less about the game now.

The game is a VERY good indication of gaming in general though,tons of these very low budget fast to market designs hoping to quickly get a cash shop up n running and what better platform than a pvp one.
    AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Always fun reading your uninformed bias judgement claiming it like its fact.