Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shroud of the Avatar - 'We Are Nomadic Now' as the Team Gives Up Its Office Space - MMORPG.com News

12346»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Nilden said:
    They laid off half the staff and now don't have any offices. Everything is fine. :)

Wait until they announce their ultimate cost-saving act:  completely shutting the game down!  Bam, expenses reduced to zero!
    Someone has to pay off the $17M or so debt, plus lets not forget about $4M or $5M in deferred taxes.....

craftseekerJamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:
    They laid off half the staff and now don't have any offices. Everything is fine. :)

Wait until they announce their ultimate cost-saving act:  completely shutting the game down!  Bam, expenses reduced to zero!
    Someone has to pay off the $17M or so debt, plus lets not forget about $4M or $5M in deferred taxes.....

Unless they gave personal guarantees, pennies on the dollar, if anything, when the company folds.  What assets do they have to liquidate?
  • Br1mston3Br1mston3 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Tldr: SotA sucks and we're broke. 
    JamesGoblin
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Mendel said:
    Torval said:
    Vrika said:
    Scot said:
    You know if all of us waiting for an indie MMO to come out that was going to knock our socks of decided to play SotA, while we were waiting it could become quite the success. And considering we may be waiting for a game which will never launch that might be rather good use of our time. ;)
    It would be bad use of time to play a game that is bad and that we dislike.

This isn't some ideology or cause that we should support for principle - it's entertainment that either is fun enough or is not fun enough.
    The point I got out of that is it's better to play something 'okay' together now than wait for something perfect later. With that kind of community input it could move the game in a more positive direction.

There was a lot of things I liked about SotA when I played it, especially the skill system. I found that to be incredibly satisfying. The combat was okay. I didn't like the overland map, but it wasn't a deal breaker. The buggy NPCs and quests were the most annoying thing and the entire package just 'lacked'. I could see it not lacking if a larger community added life and direction to it.

In short 'perfect is the enemy of good' and gamers are addicted to perfect. On the other side of that coin, many studios seem addicted to overpriced, underdelivered, mediocrity. Something has to give.

I'm not playing MMOs much anymore because I'm tired of revenue streams and getting milked for the same tired experience rehashed. I don't see the value in it anymore (subs included) so I'm not paying or playing them. I still think he has a point though and could be right and your "anti" stance is as ideological as his only it's the opposite view.
    I'm with you, on several points.  Specifically, the 'playing is better than waiting' and 'bland MMORPG' points.  But there has to be some point where supporting an inferior product is bad for the industry because it encourages more mediocrity.  Support the bad, get more bad.

People may be addicted to perfection, but all too often, they accept substandard products instead of holding to their guns.  Maybe in order to improve the genre, players simply may have to stop supporting these substandard products, so that the weak games disappear and companies have to aim higher for our money.

Maybe we can agree on 'playing (other superior games) is better than waiting', but 'playing (inferior games) only hurts our chances of getting that next superior game'.

We have met the enemy, and he is we.  Damn, that possum really knew his business.

I was not being serious and I too would not want to prop up a substandard product. But every MMO you play from launch will need polish, it is just when that becomes a lack of content and too many bugs that I object.

So we do need to ask ourselves in an era where AAA games are being launched which are by no means ready what are we going to expect from indie MMOs? I would hope that they can point the way as they have with solo games, you don't need AAA graphics, just 'decent enough', you can have good gameplay on a budget and you also don't need a game as a service.

My concerns for indie MMORPG's is that their ambition is too big, look at SotA still trying to get out content that was promised for launch. I have mentioned before that at least SotA launched, will the others even manage to do that? But a more pertinent question might be did it launch to soon and will we be asking these same questions about up and coming indie MMORPG's?
    Mendel
    Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:

Unless they gave personal guarantees, pennies on the dollar, if anything, when the company folds.  What assets do they have to liquidate?
    The tax man always gets his cut.....
    JamesGoblin

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ParadoxiaParadoxia Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Yea they couldn't possibly decided that the new lease was ridiculous and to save money by not moving yet again.. To not spend 3 to 4 hours in traffic every day... no that wouldn't be the reason at all it must be because they are closing, in a death rattle, *seriously you all are sad, if i had a penny for every time you all say that I'd be rich*
    For those reading these forums that actually play the game or are interested, I want to say that I only spend the monthly money for decorations if they are cool, like the dragon stuff that I really wanted.

However I want to address the PTW comments, because they make no sense to me, if I'm paying to win, it means I get levels, I get some something besides decorations, or even houses that some how increase my experience, That a dev comes and levels me or something, and yet it is my understanding that the reason the Whales left is because that didn't happen. Big names like Kayzn Phoenixfire, Winfield (tho seen occasionally doesn't really play), Black Blackstone, Avatar Acid, Mobadoi , and others quit because for all there dollars they couldn't get Portalairum to give them whatever they wanted. Because it wasn't pay to win, it was pay to help the game and the sad things is a lot of the things those above wanted have slowly come into game over time. Rent is cheaper, housing is better, you can get free deeds and homes now, it just takes time. I doubt the game is going anywhere as just this month they got $26,236 so far and they now don't have rent to deal with. It's like paid public television, and I'm okay with that, tho I personally don't donate more then a few dollars here and there, for decorative items, I'm okay that some people want to pay a few hundred and I'm glad that I get to play here, There are enough of us that like this game, and if there are only a few hundred here then Port must of hit the lottery on players, or is it possible that a lot of people give a little money because they enjoy having a game they like, to play with their friends. I get it may not be your cup of tea or that some of you are butt hurt that your 50,000 dollars didn't go to get you a God account.. wait that is right you didn't get a god account you didn't get anything other then what you were promised and in some cases the promises did change, but it was never about PTW, you didn't get to PTW.
    ScotJamesGoblinVladamirBegemot
    Paradoxia said:
    Yea they couldn't possibly decided that the new lease was ridiculous and to save money by not moving yet again.. To not spend 3 to 4 hours in traffic every day... no that wouldn't be the reason at all it must be because they are closing, in a death rattle, *seriously you all are sad, if i had a penny for every time you all say that I'd be rich*
    For those reading these forums that actually play the game or are interested, I want to say that I only spend the monthly money for decorations if they are cool, like the dragon stuff that I really wanted.

However I want to address the PTW comments, because they make no sense to me, if I'm paying to win, it means I get levels, I get some something besides decorations, or even houses that some how increase my experience, That a dev comes and levels me or something, and yet it is my understanding that the reason the Whales left is because that didn't happen. Big names like Kayzn Phoenixfire, Winfield (tho seen occasionally doesn't really play), Black Blackstone, Avatar Acid, Mobadoi , and others quit because for all there dollars they couldn't get Portalairum to give them whatever they wanted. Because it wasn't pay to win, it was pay to help the game and the sad things is a lot of the things those above wanted have slowly come into game over time. Rent is cheaper, housing is better, you can get free deeds and homes now, it just takes time. I doubt the game is going anywhere as just this month they got $26,236 so far and they now don't have rent to deal with. It's like paid public television, and I'm okay with that, tho I personally don't donate more then a few dollars here and there, for decorative items, I'm okay that some people want to pay a few hundred and I'm glad that I get to play here, There are enough of us that like this game, and if there are only a few hundred here then Port must of hit the lottery on players, or is it possible that a lot of people give a little money because they enjoy having a game they like, to play with their friends. I get it may not be your cup of tea or that some of you are butt hurt that your 50,000 dollars didn't go to get you a God account.. wait that is right you didn't get a god account you didn't get anything other then what you were promised and in some cases the promises did change, but it was never about PTW, you didn't get to PTW.
    Welcome to the Boards!

BTW paragraphs are your friend an you don't have to buy them of MMORPG.com to use them. ;)
    JamesGoblinLeFantomeKyleran
  • Xee2018Xee2018 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    fist off they can afford an office lol, they dont require it currently. The place they moved to after leaving an even more expensive location had a short term lease. The own of the unit wanted them to sign a 3 year lease at twice the cost which is not something they wanted to do as the office is not big enough for the coming up hires. That said it made more sense not to sign. They moved the servers into a new data center and changed out all 17 servers and put it all into a new blade server which is now hosted and has them all connected via VPN.

The Sky is not falling like have these nim rods have been saying for 2 years now lol. yep sure is die... two years later... any minute now I tell you.... no for real this time... bunch of horse crackers lol.

Ep2 first two zones comes out this next patch if not the one after. (was mapped for this patch) but they are behind on 2 items which may bump it one more month.

Incase you have now been following there is a sub of $9/month optional. There are currently 1777 accounts that are sub. We know this because each months stretch goals start of based on subs.

I can tell you the Player town I have just 100% filled up, as are many towns now that deeds are free. Now that new players get a Row deed and Village deed for starting and complete Quests they towns are all expanding.

Just putting this out there for those that play so they know facts not opinion :)
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    This game's pay model was one of the worst I've ever seen. Too bad so sad.
    laseritLeFantome

Joined - July 2004

edited March 2019
    Xee2018 said:

There are currently 1777 accounts that are sub. We know this because each months stretch goals start of based on subs.

I think there might be one or two players who have that many sub accounts in EVE, at $14.99 a pop even.

:D

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited March 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Xee2018 said:

There are currently 1777 accounts that are sub. We know this because each months stretch goals start of based on subs.

I think there might be one or two players who have that many sub accounts in EVE, at $14.99 a pop even.

:D
    If I was only pulling in 1777 x $15 a month, the lights would go out real quick. That would barely make a payroll for 6 staff, never mind anything else.
    Kyleran

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Now you know how half your player base felt when it was costing hundreds to thousands of dollars to buy a lot and house in your game. 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited March 2019
    There goes another anti PvP pve only “Dream” down the tubes. Welcome to 2019.get with it or get rolled.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    bcbully said:
    There goes another anti PvP pve only “Dream” down the tubes. Welcome to 2019.get with it or get rolled.
    Sort of like how Div2 is getting rolled for it's heavy PvE focus? :D 

• HluillHluill Member UncommonPosts: 161
    I hope this strategy works for Port. I would love to spend more money on their game. Has a lot of neat stuff going on and would love to see more.
    LeFantome

TSW, LotRO, EQ2, SWTOR, GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO, BDO, SotA, B&S, ESO, 

• RolandofYewRolandofYew Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited August 2019
    If you search ‘Shroud of Avatar’ on this website or any other and read chronologically, you’ll see all the signs therein of a game doomed to failure from the start, why? Because it’s a litany of disasters from day one. Starr and cronies refused to listen and banned anyone that offered opinion on their game. Seriously, their lunatic forum admin literally banned anyone who bad-mouthed the game. When some called out SOTA for what it was, a scam designed to feed off the love fans had for Ultima they even went as far as IP-blocking those that had concerns. I personally didn’t believe that theory until I saw the game engine and combat models which literally had assets either of or copied from 1999’s Ultima IX. Look, I’m no gfx whore but I expect some reasonably recent graphics for my $200! It was then that I realised the game was nothing more than an elaborate shell designed to suck in Ultima fans cash. The good news is that they’ll never get to do that again (thank God), Tabula Rasa cost Garriott a good portion of his credibility and SOTA finished it off. Starr? he’ll never work as a lead developer again; however, perhaps he doesn’t need to now he has millions of dollars of our cash....
    LeFantomeJamesGoblin
    Hell hath no fury....

But welcome to the forums, another white tag, keep coming back.

JamesGoblin

Well done to Kyleran for beating me to a welcome!

Liked the avatar pic, when do we start exporting daleks to the rest of the world? :)
    JamesGoblin