Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do you play MMORPGs ?

AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
Found this interesting thread in the discussion forum of the MMORPG I'm awaiting:

So why do you play MMORPGs ?

Personally I dont really know whats my main reason. Theres multiple aspects why I'm attracted to MMORPGs:

1. I cant play a single player game for longer than about 3 months. Then I just cant continue, no matter how good it is. I'm just getting sick of it at this point. But MMORPGs, I can play them for years. The social aspects make that work.

This includes the aspects of crafting, raiding, and other things that wont be present or wont be as well developed in single player games. When Vanguard finished, I had seven maxlevel crafters - one of each trade and a second weapon smith because my new main was on the US server while the rest stayed on the EU server, so I made her a crafter, too.

2. MMORPGs are by design meant to run for years, if not decades. In this amount of time, its possible to refine their rulesystems to such a degree that they offer both complexity and balance. Meaning many different ways to build a viable, i.e. competitive character with a wide array of possible playstyles in each of these builds, thus allowing players with different tastes to enjoy playing such a character longterm.

In Vanguard for example I played Cleric for about four or five years. Even after years I still found new ways of playing. Then the EU server died down, but I didnt want to move my characters, hoping that the EU server would return. So I made a Dread Knight on the US server, and with time she became my new main, simply because it was so much easier to level a Dread Knight than a Cleric (much higher dps, and area of effect attacks). OK even faster leveling was with my Sorcerer but I never felt I was really good at playing my Sorcerer. Offline games only have this if they are based on good pen and paper systems. Namely D&D3. Otherwise their rulesystems will suck.

This of course also massively contributes to why one can play MMORPGs for years.

3. I hate Steam and consoles. MMORPGs are the only way to avoid both of them.

About Steam, its riddiculous to give a company such a monopoly, its riddiculous to give a company such power over your computer (its bad enough Microsoft has this kind of power), and it violates basic principles of computer security (so does the access Microsoft has, but at least theres a good reason for them to have it, which is bugfixes).

And about consoles, its a completely braindead and absurd concept to have a computer for nothing but gaming, if you could spent a little more instead and get a computer thats useable for anything. Nooo thank you. I dont actually hate my money with a passion and feel like throwing it away, thank you very much.

Other than that, theres sometimes games you can still get in a more regular way, but you can no longer buy them in shops, and I dont feel I actually own a game if I dont have the hardware proving it.

AlBQuirkydeniter

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I originally started playing MMORPGs to try and satisfy my tabletop D&D thirst. My old high school D&D group had scattered to the winds, having graduated college and gotten jobs in various cities around the US. So I looked to MMORPGs to try and get that fix.

I was disappointed at first, realizing that programs can't react like human DMs can, but playing EQ was close enough for me. It was all of the other players in the game that got me to be a fan of this genre. Some of them also got me raging. Nothing is perfect, yet the good/fun far outweighed the bad/rage :)

EQ had actual GMs in the game that actually helped most players. EQ ran GM "events" every now and again, like Emporer Crush running rampant in Greater Feydark. Norrath was a world hat I felt I could live in. Not perfect by any stretch, but better than any single player game I had played to that point. It had deep character advancement, great, if a little wonky crafting (fish scales for a helmet?), it had questing if one wanted to seek them out (actually talking to NPCs to see what they to say), and the races and classes were so varied that my alt-o-holicism was satisfied with very varied (hee hee) experiences. I wanted to play the game and enjoyed paying every month my subscription fee.

Now, I realize that era is gone. The majority of players want something different. They don't care to have slow, redundant, not easy games where their precious time could be easily spent elsewhere. I hope, but it is such a small ember of light now... I just can't pour the water on it and move on :)
    ScotPalebanePhaserlight

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    For the last few days I've been preparing myself to do my first raid with my Guild in Legends of Aria.  I think I'm somewhat strong enough to hold my own and be helpful.  I created an alternate to do my lumberjacking and woodworking and made a shit load of arrows to make sure I don't run out.  Also made a back up bow because they break, most likely ditch the old one moments before and only keep the fresh one for the bag space.... I'll bring two horses because you get dismounted easy and everything tries to kill that first.  Been working on my quick response of key strokes so I'm not fumbling with controls. 

Along with Archery, I'm also a Mage that could heal myself efficiently but not their yet on stronger heals for others....Need to concentrate on Archery anyway. 

Spent all day Sunday on Discord getting to know the guild players.  They joke a lot in a fun way and get offensive and kept asking me if I'm ok with that.  Thats nice of them to be respectful like that as the core group had been playing together for years, and to ask a new player is great in my book :) 

They raid most nights and told me they protect new players and I could come along anyway.  However I like to hold my own (it's a personal thing), besides it would be a chore in itself learning the group dynamics of the game. 

This is why I play mmorpg's... can't find this in modern games that are JUST Online.
    AlBQuirky
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    RMT. It was 15 years ago . Stop around 3 months , i don't think i had what it take for RMT .
    Then i simply play to release my stress , have people to talk with always make you feel better .
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    I started playing mmos and kept playing them for several reasons:

1) What drew me to them initially: They were games that did not end. I could play them for 2-8hrs a day, 20-60hrs a week, and never once run out of meaningful content to do either for myself or my guild. They were truly endless games. I played mainly console rpgs offline before getting into EQ then eventually FFXI when it launched. Before MMOs I would do everything in the game getting 100% of everything and rotating the games I owned in a cycle basically. So a mmo where I would never run out of stuff to do... sign me up.

2) They were an expanded rpg, which was my game of choice. So was basically one of them on a massive scale. With FFXI at least I was a major Final Fantasy Fan for year so was a no brainer I would play that one why I left EQ.

3) Guilds and Community. This is the big one for me. What kept me playing for along time, FFXI from NA launch until abysea ~8yrs or so then onto FFXIV when Square killed FFXI. Mainly for the reasons above and the people i played with. Logging into a group of ppl I been with for years. This was the magic of the MMO, what kept everything together for me.  It made FFXI and older mmo games transcend what was a simple game. People meet each other from across the country and world. People married each other after meeting each other in my guild. We all mourned the loss of people in real life from our group. I meet my wife from half the country away, she was my healer in my guild. I still meet and talk to numerous ppl in real life I meet in game. I have people I stay in contact with from the US, Canada, Egypt, England, France, Brazil, Pakistan, Philippines, South Korea, Hong Kong, Australia, Japan, and several other places. At least with FFXI and ffxiv I guess to a lot lesser extent opened the world. Hell I guess FFXI was my facebook of the day, was my social circle.

The collapse of #1 and #3 above is why I am so frustrated with the market now days, they are literally killing what made MMORPGs a unique special genre.

MMO Games now hardly have 3-4 weeks of content every 2-5 month long major patch now. FFXIV now (at the end of expansion 3) for example has literally ~8-10% of the relevant meaningful content that FFXI had at expansion 3. It is pathetic.

Guilds are optional, and the player mentality reflects that. Communities are in general hellishly toxic now was not like that back then. Remember EQ, FFXI, and Lineage back in the day. Your name mattered, bad name means you deleted your character or transferred servers. Fast forward to now and log into say Archeage, current WoW, insert main stream mmo... and witness the toxic cancer spews from every corner of the community.

Everything is based on quick rewards and short term content nothing last. Hell some offline RPGs (Skyrim) have more content then some damn AAA MMOs do.
    AlBQuirkyPalebanePhaserlight
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    I play them for the "world" and one that is populated by actual people. I don't have to group with them but I do like the energy real people create.
    AlBQuirkyPhaserlight
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    My first MMO was UO followed by EQ and Asheron's Call, the rest is history.  It's the worlds and mechanics that shape this unique genre of games that is enticing.  Not so more these days but back then it was all about the communities you could build and the people you would meet for better or worse.
    AlBQuirky
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Exploring the world and visiting with others while playing.....
    AlBQuirkyPhaserlight
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Progression and permanence
    AlBQuirky
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    I'm a sucker for progression. Real, meaningful numeric power-curve / gear progression. 

However equally as important is the co-op / online elements. Games are just more fun when played w/ others.
    SovrathAlBQuirky
    BadSpock said:
    I'm a sucker for progression. Real, meaningful numeric power-curve / gear progression. 

However equally as important is the co-op / online elements. Games are just more fun when played w/ others.
    I agree on the progression. I love leveling, seeing the character get more power and take on tougher opponents.
    AlBQuirky

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I love virtual worlds and I love interaction with other people in virtual worlds. I love challenge and immersion. It's cool and all when you pick up loot and I like it from the plunder the lost treasure from the cyclops angle. I don't need progression for progressions sake but I enjoy progression in order to be able to take on that baddie in that haunted castle on top of that mountain over yonder.

I just love to be immersed.
    AlBQuirky

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    An enduring world, populated by many people with whom I can interact and adventure, in a game that virtually never ends, as I continuously sculpt and progress my character.

laseritAlBQuirkyPhaserlight

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    The love of multiplayer and large scale RPGs.  I always hope for the dream UO and SWG started of having a virtual world to be lived in but witb even more fluid content and player interactions/community building.   

Of course, I feel like the genre dropped the ball making it all about combat and numbers.  I simply enjoy doing that alone and with saves.
    AlBQuirkyPhaserlight
  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    i played my first rpgs with a friend or cousins on c64. If we were 2 everybody made 3 of 6 characters and we played together. bards tale, wasteland, pool of radiance, ultima (no party), baldurs gate,...

playing games together was always the most fun.

then came internet. there were games like age of empires or mech commander and so on, which you could play. and then i tried out anarchy online. a 3d world and there are other people too! it was exciting. 

Playing with other people. just doing stuff together while also chatting (something what is gone over the years unfortunately). you also remembered the people....

playing against other people.

biu those days are long gone. now its just finding a game to play for jumping in casually, doing group finder stuff without speaking a word, doing battleground stuff, and logging out. last mmorpg good enough for calling itsel mmorpg was age of wushu. before that SWG, before that AO. (and i liked AoC too, nice classes and combat, and funny pvp)

AlBQuirky
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Simple:

I lost interest in consoles and single player games in my 20s. I grew up playing competitive sports and Role Playing Games like D&D and tactical board games. 

MMORPGs interest me because they provide a social, cooperative, yet competitive environment. 

Emphasis on SOCIAL.

Old School MMORPGs attracted a huge non-video gamer audience. Developers forgot about this and tossed that audience to the curb during their transition to RMT practices.  Hence, the massively increasing interest in a return to subscription only MMORPGs (or at least highly restricted cash shops that don't corrupt the original game design).
    AlBQuirky

You stay sassy!

Tamanous said:
    Simple:

Old School MMORPGs attracted a huge non-video gamer audience.
    Oh I don't know about that.

Most of the people I know are "non-video gamers" and they would never touch a video game let alone a MMORPG with a 10 foot pole.

What they attracted were the computer gaming nerds/geeks. The first adopters, the people looking for a social outlet.
    AlBQuirky

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Sovrath said:
    Tamanous said:
    Simple:

Old School MMORPGs attracted a huge non-video gamer audience.
    Oh I don't know about that.

Most of the people I know are "non-video gamers" and they would never touch a video game let alone a MMORPG with a 10 foot pole.

What they attracted were the computer gaming nerds/geeks. The first adopters, the people looking for a social outlet.
    Games as a whole have always been more of a multiplayer affair, even Pong was multiplayer.  The first solo games I played were a few video games in the arcade. Games were mostly multiplayer there too as best I recall, they always had a multiplayer component. I think the first truly single player games I played were RPGs and Action Adventures.

None of the handful of people I knew IRL who played MMORPGs were nerds and they all had money. For me it was just realizing the dreams I had when I played D&D as an adolescent. It was a world I didn't have to imagine in my mind. It was being displayed on a screen in front of my eyes and there were so many places that I was eager to discover and visit. Dragons be damned ;)
    AlBQuirky

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    I only play MMORPGs and it’s becaus I like RPGs and the social aspect. Even if I don’t play with other people, like the fact that I mostly solo’d my time in EQ, I use the social aspect for chit chat, market/trading and it just makes the world actually feel alive... because they’re real people. 
    AlBQuirky
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    I am still looking for that gem of a MMO that has all the things I been wanting all in one game.

I want a Old AV like instanced Faction vs Faction mode, not the 3 world WvW system like GW2, I rather have two factions and each team being fixed number of either 40 or 50 players per group with a queue to let players replace players that leave. Single match last hours at a time if not more, with heavy hitting NPCs that can punch your face off or drop aerial bombs that blow the crap out your crew.

I want Dynamite Events like GW2 does especially for the Large scale fights in open world. At least 10 to 15 meta events rotated in on a timer. GW2 made the mistake here of not adding new meta events to the timer, and the ones they did they were only Temporary and never seen again. 

If open world pvp is a thing I want reason for enemy factions to want to invade Capitol cities and cause a random rampage. I liked that in WoW. But want it more often but not like a everyday thing. Maybe a 3 times a week event on random timers or something. 

I like character progression but I am good with the horizontal progression like Guild Wars 2 does and have new skins unlocked, but as for the main progression mechanics I would like this to be a group thing. Maybe Guild Progression, Faction Progression or PvE faction progression.  But less individual progression here.

Also NO PLAYER LEVELS. This is a killer. To me at this point, levels are just a time sink. Leave levels to the group progression mechanics I mentioned above.  But levels only divide the game community and the game world. I want the whole game to be Endgame, not just small high level areas. Look at GW2 for example, it has level scaling, and I play mostly as a max level on any of my slots. I can go anywhere and do anything.  But when I am on a brand new alt I am limited to where I can go, and what I can do. As a max level, those levels mean nothing to me. I play just find. Get rid of them. They useless. Let me play the game like I already am at max level. Again make other forms of progression primary. 

Group Trinity is a must but need some adjustments.  I hate the non trinity combat design of GW2 Vanilla. I hate it. I also hated the WoW wait times of its Trinity design. Rift in my opinion did some things a bit better with the addition of the Support role. This is a major factor in improving the trinity in Pugs. I played a Healer in Vanilla WoW and Rift. And it's a role that places great pressure on that player. Having a side Support character in the group to help with the healing while still doing DPS (which is the one role everybody loves) took a lot of pressure off me as a healer. Also Support could sometimes off tank. It's been many years since I played Rift, but the Mage class had a Healer tree that healed the team through doing damage. That's the kind of change I am talking about. Make some healers heal through Dishing out DPS. As for Tanking I believe the problem isnt the lack of Tanks, it's the group sizes are too small per tank. 4:1 tank group ratio need to change to a standard 7 man group sizes. This way more dps players and healers and support players run with each individual tank player. This way no need to increase number of tanks in the game. Another thing, just because the group sizes are bigger doesnt mean this kind of content need to be on WoW Raid level difficulty.  We talking about the same difficulty as any other normal 5 man dungeon just standard party size is 7 players instead of 5. Raid content can remain harder and require more players. Also I do feel Tanks should baseline get more UI tools ingame that normally be in add ons like Aggro meters and dungeon maps and stuff like that. Make it ingame exclusive UI features to people playing Tanks. Also a LFG tool should be standard by now. Stop with the fake ego stuff about being more social blahs blahs bah. Make it standard day one feature. Rift's developers Trion worlds was like this at first as well since many people felt back then LFG tool took a lot of flack in WoW for desocializing the game, but soon Trion changed their tune and realized just how important this feature is and perhaps why Blizzard added it in the first place.

The Sub for these MMOs also need to come down. Either go with the GW2 gem store B2P model or come down with the standard sub to 6$ per month. 15$a month is not going to cut it anymore. We have way more options today than the past. A free weekend or free to play Friday system would be nice to keep people playing and seeing what changes are made over updates. Keeps the population growing.

Player housing is a must. Open world kind could be nice but maybe in a separate part of the game world that can group as time progresses to make room for growing number of players. Fighting over land spots for such a good feature never works today. Archeage tried that. I say have it as a separate map of the game world if you plan to do this as a open world thing, if not just make it all instanced player housing like Rift did. This adds incredible amount of Dynamic content. Just make sure players can have more than one locations to build up for never ending content here.
    AlBQuirky

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Just as a time sink these days. I don't really like them as much as I used to but not to the point where I'll stop playing.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    For the same reason that I've been playing Stellaris lately:  for fun.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I'm pretty sure we had this topic as a thread before, so if you search you can probably find more responses to read.  But for me, the fact that other people are actively playing and discussing the game makes me feel like my interest is validated and I'm not wasting my time.  Even though I mostly solo, I like to be part of an intellectual or cultural community.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    laserit said:
    I love virtual worlds and I love interaction with other people in virtual worlds. I love challenge and immersion. It's cool and all when you pick up loot and I like it from the plunder the lost treasure from the cyclops angle. I don't need progression for progressions sake but I enjoy progression in order to be able to take on that baddie in that haunted castle on top of that mountain over yonder.

I just love to be immersed.
    For me, the progression is more about "time passing." I've yet to play an MMO where time actually passes, like months or years go by, or even seasons. If I'm not progressing, time is standing still for me.

I do enjoy "improving" my character (not me, per se) and when their progression is done, I roll a new character :)
    laserit

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    When I was younger, I liked that I could spout off without any repurcussions, unlike real life. These days, I use it for more base human pastimes like hunting, gathering, and selling goods.
    PhaserlightAlBQuirky

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.