Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft Portal Removal in 8.1.5 Sparks a Firestorm of Controversy - MMORPG.com

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I was always against so many portals to begin with. It reminds me of when the guild halls were introduced in EQ2. Once they add things like that it kills the cities. I like their thinking on this one.

Besides...."back in my day, we walked everywhere. With our legs. Suck it up heroes"
    Ah the good old days. Wait up to 15 minutes for the boat at Freeport. Another 15 minutes on the boat. And woe indeed if you missed the connection to Kunark since that would require a 20 minute wait .... and then the boat ride. And the seemingly endless runs across the Karana plains.

The good old days indeed ..... and I for one don't miss them at all. 
    SBFordarBishopmike32927
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    It's like they want to drive players away. I am sorry I travel all over the place as I am an achievement person. I go to all the old locations an rerun content to get the achievements I missed at random. I unsubbed a couple months back, was going to resub like I do usually, go through a rotation of games to not get burned out. I will be passing on this game now as they are trying to find ways to make things inconvenient. Do not enjoy having to fly half way across an entire xpac an other content just to get from one place to another. This reminds me of the entire we are not going to add flying to these areas, then they saw the backlash and did it anyway.
    SBFordjimmywolf
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    They could have compromised and allowed players portal travel only a few times a day (or something like that - you get the idea).
    SBFordkitarad

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited March 2019
    gervaise1 said:
    Will this change bring people back to WoW? Unlikely.

Could this change - this change alone - cause some people to leave? I suspect so; for some it will be a major QoL hit, impacting potential short play sessions etc.
    I think that this alone would not cause someone on the fence to leave but this as a culmination of all the stupid things they have done may be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Blizzard cannot get out of its own way to save themselves.  Do not ask for feedback and pretend to listen.  They would have been better off not asking for feedback at all.
    Oh this change on top of others could certainly be the "final straw". Having thought about it though I decided that (for some people) this change in and of itself could cause people to leave. Hence the way I worded my post. 
    [Deleted User]SBFord
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited March 2019
    Ahahahaha time played metrics through the roof. Haven’t these guys done enough damage already, omfg! I love it when they give the bs reasons why. It always makes them look so much worse, imo. We know you only care about money. At least admit it.
    SBFord

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Honestly if I can use my mage and make people portals to get around to those places I don't have as much of a problem with it. I already have people asking me for portals to certain places every time I log in, now I'll just get it more (and maybe will get some sweet gold tips).
    Sovrath
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    The timing is so bizarre.

I personally like open world games that rely heavily on actual travel (even if it's speedy transportation) with very few portals.

Still, you're telling me damn near 15 years later some genius literally decides to f@#$ with something the fan base was used to? There's no good reason. GO MAKE ANOTHER F#$%ING MMORPG that's different than WoW and apply the concept there.

LokeroSBFordHashbrickThahar[Deleted User]TheDarkrayneinfomatzgervaise1
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Remember when you had to...(dare I say it)...ASK...someone to portal you? OMG! Say it ain't so! In a massively multiplayer online game, you actually were required to interact with someone else??????? 

WTF is that nonsense??????
    NephethjimmywolfPsym0nGobstopper3D
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    gervaise1 said:
    I was always against so many portals to begin with. It reminds me of when the guild halls were introduced in EQ2. Once they add things like that it kills the cities. I like their thinking on this one.

Besides...."back in my day, we walked everywhere. With our legs. Suck it up heroes"
    Ah the good old days. Wait up to 15 minutes for the boat at Freeport. Another 15 minutes on the boat. And woe indeed if you missed the connection to Kunark since that would require a 20 minute wait .... and then the boat ride. And the seemingly endless runs across the Karana plains.

The good old days indeed ..... and I for one don't miss them at all. 
    True enough, though I think as much of the issue with that was that there were no productive "enroute" activities to do, so you literally wasted time standing around.

Blizzard could've looked to create activities that gave players something to do while traveling on automatic transports (flight paths/boats) or awaiting said transports.  They weren't able or willing to do do, which left the time spent traveling as "dead time" to many gamers.

Indicative of the overall issue of WoW's (and Blizzard's) current position: the pendulum swung too far in one direction without enough vision of how that might affect the game long-term, it seems.
    SBFordgervaise1

• Azden777Azden777 Member UncommonPosts: 2

Bad move. Most of us don't enjoying wasting 60% of our play sessions with autorun on in any game.

Not that I am saying you are wrong, I respect and understand that, but awkwardly I enjoy my autotune time occasionally. I played Perfect World so whenever I was flying I'd spend that time snacking, or afking doing something meaningful on the side.

I'm a weirdo though.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Remember when you had to...(dare I say it)...ASK...someone to portal you? OMG! Say it ain't so! In a massively multiplayer online game, you actually were required to interact with someone else??????? 

Yea i do... And i remember all the snark, piss taking and out right extortion that i received from bored mages with a superiority complex.

This is a daft change that pretty much only benefits the minority of mages who can stand the pestering and need the extra change
    SBFord[Deleted User]jimmywolfkitaradKyleranmike32927

This have been a good conversation

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    tawess said:

Yea i do... And i remember all the snark, piss taking and out right extortion that i received from bored mages with a superiority complex.

This is a daft change that pretty much only benefits the minority of mages who can stand the pestering and need the extra change
    Well, my experience was different. I guess it's what you make of it.
  • skakrukskakruk Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Should ease people nicely back into classic WOW :)
    Kyleranmike32927
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Thinking about this more, I just can't see why people are mad about this change. Most of the QOL changes Blizzard made were geared towards keeping players in town for some reason. Dungeon finder = no longer have to travel to dungeons to enter, summoning stones are useless now. Added ability to port to and from dungeon / raid while inside, killing the need for Warlock portals. Added portals to every major city to port around to every possible location killing the need for zepplins, boats, and mage portals. 

I always see players whining that all they do is sit in town and queue for dungeons and PvP, but then if Blizzard does anything to change this to make the world more active, players whine that they have to physically go places. It must be super hard to make any decisions for an MMORPG community, no matter what you do you get whining. 
    Gobstopper3D
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2019
    Thinking about this more, I just can't see why people are mad about this change. Most of the QOL changes Blizzard made were geared towards keeping players in town for some reason. Dungeon finder = no longer have to travel to dungeons to enter, summoning stones are useless now. Added ability to port to and from dungeon / raid while inside, killing the need for Warlock portals. Added portals to every major city to port around to every possible location killing the need for zepplins, boats, and mage portals. 

I always see players whining that all they do is sit in town and queue for dungeons and PvP, but then if Blizzard does anything to change this to make the world more active, players whine that they have to physically go places. It must be super hard to make any decisions for an MMORPG community, no matter what you do you get whining. 
    That's the issue when you start changing core systems in the name of "convenience": you can't put that back into Pandora's box once you take it out.  Even if it's beneficial to the design philosophy you want, you're not going to remove convenience items or benefits without pissing people off.  Just ask politicians how hard it is to take something away from the American people once given.  It matters little how valid your justification for doing so is; folks don't want to hear it.  They just want their convenience/benefits back.

That's not to say I think this is a bad or good move objectively.  Whether or not it is is really irrelevant; take something away players have grown accustomed to, you get backlash.
    SBFordsleezevilpantaroGobstopper3D

• informativezinformativez Newbie CommonPosts: 4
    This is Blizzards game and you just play here in it. Please insert $17 for your next 30 days of being crapped on by the game OWNER silly little players
    BruceYee
  • MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Hmmm!
    I wonder if they will introduce fast travel items into the cash shop in the next major patch or the one after. Maybe they will wait for the next expansion.
    SBFord
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    I'm so glad I don't pay Activision Blizzard a sub any more to annoy me. They can troll and annoy me all they want but I'm glad I'm no longer bankrolling them to troll and annoy me.
    SBFord[Deleted User]kitarad
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited March 2019
    Azden777 said:

Bad move. Most of us don't enjoying wasting 60% of our play sessions with autorun on in any game.

Not that I am saying you are wrong, I respect and understand that, but awkwardly I enjoy my autotune time occasionally. I played Perfect World so whenever I was flying I'd spend that time snacking, or afking doing something meaningful on the side.

I'm a weirdo though.
    I kind of get that.. but if you want the type of downtime you can just stop moving and do it in the extra time you gained since you don't have to wait to travel.

Like.. say you've got 4 hours. You might spend 1 hour travelling to places without portals in that time.

If you had portals it might take 30 minutes of travelling in that time instead. You've just gained 30 minute of choice. You want to snack with your extra 30 mins? You can. You want to do another quest? You can. You want to stop playing 30 mins earlier than you planned? You can.

You want to 'travel' some more in that 30 mins and not use portals? You can. I often do that when I'm playing GW2 and in the mood for it; run/ride somewhere instead of using the closest Waypoint.

Better to just leave the choice to the player instead of taking it away from them.
    SBFordPalebaneesc-joconnor
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    When I still had a sub all I did was farm old expac pets, mounts, sets many just to sell on the ah to keep myself entertained(cause selling stuff is fun). The travelling was already getting to me then WITH the portals cause you almost always still had to fly to a location after you took the portal. If I could've had it my way even with my engy trinkets and mage portals would've liked to have MORE portals to more locations to cut down travel time before I lose motivation and log out.

This game marketed itself as the super casual convenient game and now all of sudden they are removing something they don't need to just because? Like someone else said they are probably figuring out a way to sell you and/or reuse what is being removed like they have in the past. My guess is the next expac will have something related to portal travelling like a new class or profession that you can only get by buying the expac and/or god forbid a rep grind. A wild but not completely impossible theory is that they are doing this out of spite for their recent troubles. When you think about it with their almost cult like business philosophy the only people they can lash out at are their customers for their failures. Failed e-sports and merchandise endeavors, failing games all while having a staff of nine THOUSAND employees.

Blizzard catered to their mob for a decade+ and now those same people are the ones up in arms...sorry if I feel no sympathy for you up in your ivory tower...you built that.
    SBFordKalebGrayson
  • Rastan1Rastan1 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    It's like they find a new way to make wow worse every week. Amazing,
    SBFordKalebGraysonkitaradPalebaneJeleena
  • sleezevilsleezevil Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Yaaaay another pointless change aces! But keep ignoring crappy rep grinds for all content??
    SBFordPalebane
  • mastroposmastropos Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1

sipu said:

everything that can bring back world pvp is good

I'd rather they made it so that portals don't work while you have Warmode enabled and leave the PvE players alone.

Can you explain to me how pvp players engage with pve players?
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    How do alliance het to tanaris now? I used to do theramore, but with that changing, CoT could be a pain...
  • bmw66bmw66 Member UncommonPosts: 141
    I cant wait till my 6 month ban is over so I can unsub.
    Gurrbok