Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LFHelp with a new pc build

SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
So, it has been a very long time since i last built a pc, too long in fact. I actually got help at these very forums back in 2011 to build the pc i'm now typing on, much thanks to Quizzical and others for helping me pick the parts out way back then.

So here I am, finally having enough expendable income to chuck this now toaster out and start anew. To give some background as to what i expect/want out of the build. I'm a gamer first and foremost. I'll be happy so long as I can load/play games like BDO, Skyrim, AC: Oddysey, Witcher 3, Kingdom Come: Deliverance on ultra settings without lagging and excellent fps. Also, while streaming isn't a thing i do fulltime, I do like to dabble so a computer that is powerful enough to play said games while streaming at least 720p would be preferred as well.

Also, yes...VR. Something that is able to handle VR games, while i don't as of yet have a VR system like the Oculus, i will be getting one probably around the holiday season for myself so I want this PC to be more than capable of playing VR games without sounding like it's going to choke.

I'm not a rapid fan of either team red or blue, so that doesn't concern me. I do like side panel cases that let you see your handiwork and a little bling(rgb) inside won't go unappreciated from me but at the same time isn't a huge sticking point for me either. I heard about NVMe ssd's and since i heard about them, i very much would like to get one. But after stating what i want to use the pc for, if someone more knowledgable than me comes and says i absolutely won't get any benefit from using one then i guess i'll listen and stick to sata III ssds instead.

Lastly, the budget. So, i have expendable income but i don't wish to go too crazy on this build(my next one i am when i'm in a better position). I think i'll cap this at a slightly flexible $1,250. If you can work it into the budget, a nice monitor(to be used as my main monitor of 2) would be great so i can really reap the benefits of whatever gfx card i get(the one i'm using still is an radeon hd 6950 kek).

TL;DR
Must haves:
1) Being able to play games like BDO/Witcher 3/Kingdom Come: Deliverance on max settings with no lag/excellent fps.
2)Also able to stream gaming in at least 720p while playing said games.
3) VR capable.
4)I toiled on if i should put this in nice to have or not...but noise reduction. I'd like it if this wasn't a noisy build. I can still hear my current pc even when i have my headphones on during heavy load lol...its a little annoying.

Nice to haves:
1)OC'able
2)NVMe SSD(was thinking 1tb to just have everything on one drive, OS/games/media/etc)
3)See through side panel(just 1 is fine)
4)A little rgb lighting inside the rig(not a biggy though, especially if it saves on $$$)
5)A good monitor to replace one of my current 2 to be used as my new main monitor(this also isn't a big priority as i can just purchase a monitor later on down the road if this ends up taking too much of the budget)
6)At least 1 usb 3.1 front panel port would be nice.

Comments:
1) Intel/AMD: doesn't matter which to me. So long as everything plays nice with each other.

Budget: Let's call it a flexible 1300.

Here's some parts that i was looking around trying to see what worked, some things i chose probably went way overboard on, somethings i picked may be trash. So please help me out once more everyone.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    What monitor are you intending to use?

There is a huge difference in price between "no lag/excellent fps" on a 1080 monitor, a 1440 monitor, and a 4K monitor.

I know you say "Maybe work a monitor in there". That too could be a decent part of the budget, depending on what you want. Size, resolution, refresh rate, VRR, screen tech, etc. all make a big difference in monitor pricing.

6950 was a great card. I ran a 6970 for a very long time and it's one of my favorite cards of all time.
    QuizzicalSephiroso
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Definitely not 4k. I'm not that gungho on graphics and don't think they'd be cheap enough to fit the budget i have without sacrificing a lot in the way of the computer itself. If there's an affordable 1440 monitor and i'd be ecstatic with that but honestly, i'm more concerned with the PC than the monitor at the moment.

Don't need any thing special like touch screen or anything either except maybe some kind of anti-glare. For size, just a 27inch 1440p is fine. I don't know enough about refresh rate/VRR to know what i want in those regards.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    The parts you picked went way, way over your stated budget.  As Ridelynn said, you need to decide whether you want to fit a new monitor in that budget, as that's a considerable chunk of the budget.

For a CPU vendor, wanting to do streaming can push you toward needing more cores, so I think AMD makes more sense than Intel for your needs and budget.  The CPU you've chosen (Ryzen 7 2700X) makes sense.

For a GPU vendor, wanting to use VR in particular or particularly caring about noise could both push you in Nvidia's direction.  AMD offers some fine GPUs in the mid-range to low end, but you're probably looking at shopping in a higher price range than that where AMD is particularly competitive.

I wouldn't worry about overclocking the CPU.  Both AMD and Intel stock clock most of their overclockable CPUs fairly close to the limits of what the chip can handle, with some of AMD's lower end parts as the only real exceptions.  Hard OCP found that AMD's Precision Boost 2 is so good that it sometimes beats the best hand-tuned overclock that they could do manually.

What I'm going to recommend for you is that you bring the price on the computer down closer to your stated budget of $1250, and then decide whether you want to add a monitor on top of that, which would put the budget back closer to the $1620 of your chosen parts.

You could save a lot of money on the motherboard, with all of the major motherboard vendors offering an X470 motherboard for $140 or less.

That's also way too much money for a case on your stated budget.  This is what I use myself, and my only nit-pick is that the thumb-screws aren't.  That is, you'll need a screwdriver for them:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147237

So many power supply vendors have mixed lineups that send their higher end units out for reviews to try to get people to buy dodgy lower end units at cheaper prices.  I've given up on keeping track of what is what, and generally just go with Seasonic, since they don't play that game and will give you high quality at a reasonable price. For example, this will do nicely for you:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151186

I'm not sure why you picked Windows 10 Pro rather than Home.  It's a difference of $40.  If you need something from the professional edition, then go ahead, but the features restricted to the professional edition are things that hardly any home users would want.

That's a lot of money to spend on a 1 TB SSD.  Even if you want NVMe, you can get that for a whole lot cheaper.  For example:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167462

That's not as fast as the Samsung SSD that you linked.  But it sure is a whole lot cheaper, and that performance difference will rarely matter.

Those changes don't quite get you down to your stated budget, but throwing in a cheaper RTX 2060 like this might:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500458

If you're looking for a quiet GPU, then a heavy overclock like the GPU that you picked has is not the way to do it.
    SephirosoOzmodan
    t0nyd said:
    Personally I'd wait. Ryzen 2 should release soon. Could be a big shift in prices as well as performance. Or maybe it won't. 

I've never been a fan of one drive. I prefer two. One for the OS and the other for games. I also used network storage for media.
    If you're inclined to wait, then third generation Ryzen is the next major launch coming, and that's around the middle of this year.  That's several months away, so I don't see a huge need to wait.  After that comes AMD Navi, sometime this year, and alternately rumored to launch in July or October.  AMD has said that third generation Ryzen will arrive before Navi.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    >_> <_<

I'm stuck. Made it quick with a GTX 2070 with a decent part selection but hit a wall at $1400.
    Went for the necessities for a balanced build on this scenario. Ryzen 7 Processor, GTX 1080 or above, nVME SSD.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    See this is exactly why i came here, to be brought back down to reality. I know a lot of the things i picked were sky high expensive and i got a little carried away. Here's what i have so far after taking your suggestions into consideration.

The aesthetics of that Rosewill case didn't really jive all that well with me, but I agree with you that the case i picked(while really nice) was too expensive. So i went with a bit of a middle ground with this choice.

As for why i initially picked W10 Pro over Home, i read you needed W10 Pro if you wanted any control over postponing windows updates(up to 2 months i think).

This set of parts totals out to 1264 which is definitely inline with the budget, if i wasn't a bit stubborn it would be sub 1200 even. Think this setup should be good for what i want it for?

As for the monitor, i'll officially consider it outside of the budget. Assuming the updated build is okay, any suggestions for a good monitor for 1440p gaming/viewing? I read 25-27inch is the sweet spot for 1440p resolution. I don't know what refresh rate it should have, or if the choice in gfx card (got a cheaper non-oc 2060 now) makes a difference.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Quizzical said:
    t0nyd said:
    Personally I'd wait. Ryzen 2 should release soon. Could be a big shift in prices as well as performance. Or maybe it won't. 

I've never been a fan of one drive. I prefer two. One for the OS and the other for games. I also used network storage for media.
    If you're inclined to wait, then third generation Ryzen is the next major launch coming, and that's around the middle of this year.  That's several months away, so I don't see a huge need to wait.  After that comes AMD Navi, sometime this year, and alternately rumored to launch in July or October.  AMD has said that third generation Ryzen will arrive before Navi.
    Third gen. Ryzen and Navi have been rumored to launch since January this year, but so far they're no-show.

If you're inclined to wait then third generation Ryzen will likely launch some time this year, but so far the rumored dates are just rumors and shouldn't be trusted.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The parts you picked out are nearly identical to the parts I picked out with the exception of the GTX 2060 and mobo. Going up to the 2070 was what I had trouble keeping in budget.
    They actually have a sale on that particular SSD if you are on the Newegg newsletter. They had it for $40. Unfortunately that's a missed opportunity for both of us.
    On the mobo, you don't need a X470 or X370 with AMD. You can opt for a B450 and cut down the cost of the mobo to around $60. You can also go down to a smaller mobo and get more case options. Personally, I find an ATX mobo to be unnecessary of you can get a cheaper smaller option.
    I think I'd build something like this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Gt3ngw

I build it in about 5 minutes so I didn't think about the choices that much

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited March 2019
    Personally, I'd get a normal SSD and get a RTX 2070 instead.

The loading screen difference will be very minor with a NVMe but a 2070 is a dramatic increase in game performance. We're getting to the point where 6GB VRAM won't be enough for max textures. TESVI will probably be the main point where 8GB VRAM is required for Ultra.
    Gdemami
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    edited March 2019
    the 660p NMVe is cheaper than the cheapest (quality) Sata SSDs like Crucial MX500, WD 3D blue, Intel 545s, 860 evo.
    edited March 2019
    13lake said:
    the 660p NMVe is cheaper than the cheapest (quality) Sata SSDs like Crucial MX500, WD 3D blue, Intel 545s, 860 evo.
    It's also a budget value drive and is pretty shit. It's alright for the price, I guess, but it will likely destroy all your data one day as it rapidly self destroys blocks faster than other drives.

Check out Linus Tech Tips review on YouTube if you want and pay attention to the tests. The drive gets slower the more data it moves at a time because it reduces the size of it's available cache... to the point where it performs slower than a standard HDD. They recommend it 'for it's intended purpose' but for a serious user it could be problematic. Personally, I'd rather not have to worry about how much I use my drives, even if it seemed I wouldn't use them heavily at the time. I'd like to always have the option.

I would never suggest anyone get one unless you want to use it for storage only, not as a system drive. Value products will never go in my PC.

A Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB would be a better option at around the same price point.
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
    Vrika said:
    Quizzical said:
    t0nyd said:

Third gen. Ryzen and Navi have been rumored to launch since January this year, but so far they're no-show.

If you're inclined to wait then third generation Ryzen will likely launch some time this year, but so far the rumored dates are just rumors and shouldn't be trusted.
    Look at slide 6:

http://ir.amd.com/static-files/37baf84d-71dd-4f71-b55a-db863b905547

I'd think that an announcement on amd.com that third generation Ryzen is coming "mid-year" is about as official as it gets.
    Vrika
    Vrika said:

Saving money by going with a B450 motherboard rather than X470 probably makes sense on this budget.  Dropping from a 2700X to a 1700X is a more meaningful loss, but does save a lot of money.  Whether that makes sense depends on how far you need to bring the cost down.  You could hope to make room to upgrade to an RTX 2070, but Nvidia is charging so much for those that it gets harder to justify.
    Sephiroso said:
    See this is exactly why i came here, to be brought back down to reality. I know a lot of the things i picked were sky high expensive and i got a little carried away. Here's what i have so far after taking your suggestions into consideration.

The aesthetics of that Rosewill case didn't really jive all that well with me, but I agree with you that the case i picked(while really nice) was too expensive. So i went with a bit of a middle ground with this choice.

As for why i initially picked W10 Pro over Home, i read you needed W10 Pro if you wanted any control over postponing windows updates(up to 2 months i think).

This set of parts totals out to 1264 which is definitely inline with the budget, if i wasn't a bit stubborn it would be sub 1200 even. Think this setup should be good for what i want it for?

As for the monitor, i'll officially consider it outside of the budget. Assuming the updated build is okay, any suggestions for a good monitor for 1440p gaming/viewing? I read 25-27inch is the sweet spot for 1440p resolution. I don't know what refresh rate it should have, or if the choice in gfx card (got a cheaper non-oc 2060 now) makes a difference.
    If you don't like the looks of the particular case that I linked, that's fine.  But there are a lot of cases that cost perhaps $50 or $60 or so that will do nicely for a gaming desktop.  You don't need to spend $100 to get a decent case.
    edited March 2019
    Unless you are spending $100 for an all-aluminum Lian Li case - then it’s money well spent. I have had poor luck with Corsair cases, ymmv though. Cheap Rosewills actually aren’t that bad, just pick something that matches your aesthetics.

Also, unless you are getting a killer deal on a 2070, It’s dubious on if it’s a meaningful upgrade from a 2060.

True that Win10Pro will allow you to defer upgrades. Home will only allow you to delay the reboot. Unless you have some specific need that usually is enough for a gaming rig, but it’s your money = your preference.

If you can get NVME for near the same price as Sata - go for it. But I wouldn’t pay a lot extra for it, and wouldn’t pay anything extra for m.2 sata over 2.5” sata. You can only tell the difference in synthetic benchmarks between any of them.

If your ready to buy now, I wouldn’t necessarily wait on Navi it Zen3. 

For monitors: I’d start here. It may not be your exact cup of tea or even fit your monitor budget but it’s a place to start that ticks a lot of boxes:
    https://www.displayninja.com/lg-34gk950f-review/
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Personally I think the Nvidia 20xx cards are overpriced.  I would look around for a good 10xx card first.  Ray tracing is a complete joke at present or look at their just announced 16xx cards.  For me the best video card on the market at present is a 1080ti, only slightly slower than the top end 20xx card for less than half the price. 
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    edited March 2019

The samsung is severally overrated, the other 3 i mentioned MX500, WD 3D blue and intel 545s are as good and come with the same 5 year warranty, so unless the 860 evo is within a few dollars difference in price there's no point in paying a premium for it.
    Gdemami
    Quizzical said:
    Vrika said:
    Quizzical said:
    t0nyd said:

Look at slide 6:

http://ir.amd.com/static-files/37baf84d-71dd-4f71-b55a-db863b905547

I'd think that an announcement on amd.com that third generation Ryzen is coming "mid-year" is about as official as it gets.
    Sorry, I had missed that announcement.

edited March 2019
    Quizzical said:
    Vrika said:

Saving money by going with a B450 motherboard rather than X470 probably makes sense on this budget.  Dropping from a 2700X to a 1700X is a more meaningful loss, but does save a lot of money.  Whether that makes sense depends on how far you need to bring the cost down.  You could hope to make room to upgrade to an RTX 2070, but Nvidia is charging so much for those that it gets harder to justify.
    I was thinking more about bringing the costs down since OP's original budget was $1 250 for both computer and monitor combined.

EDIT: Also Ryzen 1700X was $14 cheaper when I made that suggestion.

13lake said:

The samsung is severally overrated, the other 3 i mentioned MX500, WD 3D blue and intel 545s are as good and come with the same 5 year warranty, so unless the 860 evo is within a few dollars difference in price there's no point in paying a premium for it.
    Either way, a 660p shouldn't be an option. I'd rather spend more for a WD Black and have a top quality NMVe. If you're going to go NMVe, you might as well do it right otherwise you're not going to feel the full benefit. The Black would slay loading screens.

.. or go for a cheaper normal SSD and get a better GPU... which is much more valuable to a gamer imo.
    13lake said:

Either way, a 660p shouldn't be an option. I'd rather spend more for a WD Black and have a top quality NMVe. If you're going to go NMVe, you might as well do it right otherwise you're not going to feel the full benefit. The Black would slay loading screens.

.. or go for a cheaper normal SSD and get a better GPU... which is much more valuable to a gamer imo.
    You can't go for much cheaper normal SSD because the price difference between Intel and cheapest normal SSD is only like 10%.

Intel can't beat the more expensive SSDs in speed, and it's not the absolutely cheapest options available, but it's a really good compromise between price and peed.
    Gdemami

Vrika said:
    13lake said:

You can't go for much cheaper normal SSD because the price difference between Intel and cheapest normal SSD is only like 10%.

Intel can't beat the more expensive SSDs in speed, and it's not the absolutely cheapest options available, but it's a really good compromise between price and peed.
    I know that.. but the 660p is a terrible bit of kit as I explained earlier. There is a reason it's so cheap.
    Another decent monitor to consider. Also ticks a lot of good boxes:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824025164