Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hit the Ground Running with Anarchy Online's Progression Server Starting Today - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageHit the Ground Running with Anarchy Online's Progression Server Starting Today - MMORPG.com

It's official! The first Anarchy Online progression server is now live. Called Rubi-Ka 2019 (or simply RK2019), the server was switched on today. The handy FAQ provides a few nuggets of information including the fact that RK2019 is Funcom's "unique take on a fresh-start experience. Subscribers are invited to start anew with a pure experience - no expansions, lower level caps, and an untouched economy to begin!"

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    This is cool, I'll actually jump in for this. I've always meant to get into AO, but always felt overwhelmed, a fresh start would definitely be fun.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    How are the grahpics? Does it play like any ole MMO?
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Wow that came out fast. I didn't see a bloody thing about it's release date.
    RemyVorender

You stay sassy!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    One of the few big Sci-Fi MMORPG's there is, I had a wail of a time with it years back.

How are the grahpics? Does it play like any ole MMO?

You can use either the old client or a new updated graphics engine. The character models aren't updated but the world looks a lot better. The new client is officially in open beta however, so using it may cause potential problems.

I am currently installing it to test.
    Phry

You stay sassy!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I tried this again recently but had a terrible time.

I quite liked the game when it launched.. but now, seeing what else is out there, I just couldn't make friends with it.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    only thing i'm thinking is how much you wanna bet they will sell the expansions all over again?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    edited March 2019

only thing i'm thinking is how much you wanna bet they will sell the expansions all over again?

I'll be honest. This is just likely just a time sink until Classic. I was rather disappointed with Lotro's new servers. Pretty much just a cash grab due to it being Sub+full cash shop while still being the easy mode version of the current game.

I approach this with trepidation, but am willing to give it a try none the less.
    Alpius

You stay sassy!

• VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177
    This is awesome. Now, can someone bring back Asheron's Call please.
    [Deleted User]
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Tamanous said:

I'll be honest. This is just likely just a time sink until Classic. I was rather disappointed with Lotro's new servers. Pretty much just a cash grab due to it being Sub+full cash shop while still being the easy mode version of the current game.

I approach this with trepidation, but am willing to give it a try none the less.
    yeah if you played it once, and still remember some of the tricks to make money... I was a soldier back in the day I did a lot of random missions for cash, then figure out how to make cash and then did more random mission to get the extra cash, but I really had a hard time with the weapon design, none looked like a rifle :p

then I moved on, nostalgy possible will hit hard, but my lack of time kinda prevent that lol

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Tamanous said:

Wow that came out fast. I didn't see a bloody thing about it's release date.

Funcom has been in a good place recently. So that probably helps.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• SixNineSixSixNineSix Member UncommonPosts: 2
    edited March 2019
    20 Year old game start @ 1 and what are you getting for 15 dollars for one month or 10 for 3?
    A
    20 year old game start @ 1, Lowsie graphics Now AND THEN.
    FunnConn is just doing a cash grab too see if AO is worth keeping up.
    Don't waste your time, AO was cumbersome and clunky here to there questing @ best.
    FUNCONN your high, put this pig back in its casket.
    Hariken

20 Year old game start @ 1 and what are you getting for 15 dollars for one month or 10 for 3?

A

20 year old game start @ 1, Lowsie graphics Now AND THEN.

FunnConn is just doing a cash grab too see if AO is worth keeping up.

Don't waste your time, AO was cumbersome and clunky here to there questing @ best.

FUNCONN your high, put this pig back in its casket.

Posts 2.

Your career of complaining has begun.
    Panther2103[Deleted User]SinsaiLackingMMOinfomatzMrMelGibsonunfilteredJW

You stay sassy!

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    So glad I downloaded the game last night. Poor wife is at the gym, she has no idea when she left, it would be the last time she sees me again.

:hugs: @SBFord ;
    [Deleted User]iamspamicusMadFrenchieSamhael[Deleted User]CryomatrixSinsaiMrMelGibsonScotNyteWytch
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487

Vandarix said:

Yes
    SinsaiMrMelGibson
    ray12k said:

Vandarix said:

Yes
    I forget the rules regarding discussion of private servers (as AC is effectively not online anymore) but there are ways to play it right now with plenty of other players.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    the old secret world would be nice too funcom
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    LOL, so this is to get more people to pay a monthly sub. for a 19-year-old game. And you people eat it up. No wonder game companies just keep screwing over gamers.
    Hariken said:
    LOL, so this is to get more people to pay a monthly sub. for a 19-year-old game. And you people eat it up. No wonder game companies just keep screwing over gamers.
    How exactly is this screwing over gamers?

Some people just like to play things to feel nostalgic or play in a preferred timeframe. If it benefits the company good I guess? It shows there's people willing to play the game and then that game potentially won't shut down with the regained interest. 
    Sinsai
    Hariken said:
    Then don't play. 

Are you a puppet? Do you have strings? 

You stay sassy!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Hariken said:
    Last I checked, video games don't expire. They don't go bad in the sun or need to be refrigerated.

If it invigorates the community and consolidates them then this isn't a bad thing. I highly doubt the sub will break the bank.

And last I checked it still costs to run a game.

No "gamers" are being screwed over.
    SinsaiMrMelGibson[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Hariken said:
    I pay for a sub because I can't afford Free 2 Play games.
    GruntyMadFrenchieSamhaelCryomatrixAlbatroesLackingMMOMrMelGibsonetlarNyteWytch[Deleted User]
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 375
    Hariken said:
    Sure, because Anarchy Online was one of the pioneers for MMOs.  It's the same reason why people want WoW Classic so badly.  Alot of us have fond memories of playing these older mmos, and we share those memories with the same amount of endearment anyone would have for their favorite game.  Back when systems were brand new, and gameplay features and environments are mind boggling to all of us.  Yet, nobody else could experience those kind of memories today because that kind of fresh and innovative feel has already been done to death with rehashing systems that have already been polished through time.  Mind you, sure you could still play Anarchy Online today; but it's another case of it has had 19 years of polish and changes done to it.  Slight difference from seeing it in its infancy.

Progression servers like these?  This is how people who may never have been able to experience that "Holy hell, this is new." feel.  Think of this progression server as a museum in game form.  While museums aren't for everyone, that doesn't mean that they are not worth going to just to see where things may have started.  (And note, private servers are not the same thing.  Private servers is someone opening up a roadshow on the side of the road.  Company opened progression servers are the actual museums.)
    Tim4290
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Sounds interesting and i am really tempted to give it a go, though honestly i had to look closely to make sure this wasn't a decade old necro post  :p
    BruceYee
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Tamanous said:
    Hariken said:
    Then don't play. 

Are you a puppet? Do you have strings? 
    Are you kidding me here? You are creating a Froob character but paying monthly for it. You can already have one free on the old server.