Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Garrett Fuller - Anthem Woes - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 487

SBFord said:

laserit said:

boris20 said:

I just hope that between Anthem and Desity, it doesnt scare off future developers from pumping time and money into the genre. I enjoy the FPS "MMO Lite" they have going, but I feel it can be much more. Neither company has nailed it yet, but I am hopeful either Bungie, Bioware, or a newcomer will get the formula right. 

But do you have a phone? ;)

(never gets old lol)

Well...it does...kinda. :P

No, it doesn't. :)
    SBFordNorseGod
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited March 2019
    Aeander said:
    Arterius said:

I enjoyed the story somewhat but it was so cliche that it killed it for me. I knew the big twist halfway through the main campaign in about mission 2.

The main story is just standard video game faire. Nothing remarkable or noteworthy, and only notable as particularly bad by Bioware standards. 

I will say, however, that some of the character stories in Fort Tarsis are very good and provide small, welcome glimpses into that Bioware storytelling of old. Leyton's story in particular stands out, as does Marelda's. I'm also a particular fan of the eccentric former-radio "star" working as a bartender. 

I would much rather be doing missions digging into Leyton's past than anything having to do with the Monitor, and it would also give us more insight into Dominion life to boot.

They clearly knew that at least some of their characters are of interest, as Yarrow, Brin, and especially Matthias are all reasonably interesting and offer entire quest chains. I just wish that was expanded to include Leyton, who could have offered Corvus reputation, and the bartender & bar owner, who could have offered Regulator reputation. Huge missed opportunities on both fronts.

See and this is what I believe BioWare missed: Doing what they do best by delivering stories --- good, deep, insightful and interesting stories --- about companions and giving a reason to go explore the world.

The hybrid nature of what they tried to do missed the mark. I don't blame them for making a new type of game, but do a full stop 180 and make a shooter. Then make an RPG and stick to your strengths to bring in cash to fuel development of another genre-breaker.

Anthem's combat is good so all's good for an MMO-lite shooter. We already know how well they do single player RPG shooters (i.e. Mass Effect trilogy). Make the next RPG/shooter a coop experience, like 2 players perhaps, and the latter would be aces too.
    [Deleted User]infomatzMrMelGibsonOctagon7711

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    edited March 2019
    Game is a huge dumpster fire. Don't bother, just play destiny and make robot noises if you want feel like you're in a mech suit, lol.
    Obviously you haven't played it, and I agree Suzie. At this point that meme is old as hell.
    SBFord
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SBFord said:

laserit said:

boris20 said:

I just hope that between Anthem and Desity, it doesnt scare off future developers from pumping time and money into the genre. I enjoy the FPS "MMO Lite" they have going, but I feel it can be much more. Neither company has nailed it yet, but I am hopeful either Bungie, Bioware, or a newcomer will get the formula right. 

But do you have a phone? ;)

(never gets old lol)

Well...it does...kinda. :D
    We all need a good smile and a chuckle in the morning :)
    SBFord[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited March 2019

"EA still not being able to make the right choices when it comes to an online title."

This is such a hypocritical statement.

First people criticize EA for having loot box in battlefront 2. Then the same people plays and praises apex legend, with loot boxes. What does this tell EA? That people are full of s**t.

No one criticized EA for having loot boxes..well, maybe those that criticize all loot boxes. They criticised EA for having all the game's progression tied directly to loot boxes. That is what caused all the fuss.
    AlverantLackingMMO[Deleted User]
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    SBFord said:

Aeander said:

Arterius said:

I enjoyed the story somewhat but it was so cliche that it killed it for me. I knew the big twist halfway through the main campaign in about mission 2.

The main story is just standard video game faire. Nothing remarkable or noteworthy, and only notable as particularly bad by Bioware standards. 

I will say, however, that some of the character stories in Fort Tarsis are very good and provide small, welcome glimpses into that Bioware storytelling of old. Leyton's story in particular stands out, as does Marelda's. I'm also a particular fan of the eccentric former-radio "star" working as a bartender. 

I would much rather be doing missions digging into Leyton's past than anything having to do with the Monitor, and it would also give us more insight into Dominion life to boot.

They clearly knew that at least some of their characters are of interest, as Yarrow, Brin, and especially Matthias are all reasonably interesting and offer entire quest chains. I just wish that was expanded to include Leyton, who could have offered Corvus reputation, and the bartender & bar owner, who could have offered Regulator reputation. Huge missed opportunities on both fronts.

See and this is what I believe BioWare missed: Doing what they do best by delivering stories --- good, deep, insightful and interesting stories --- about companions and giving a reason to go explore the world. The hybrid nature of what they tried to do missed the mark. I don't blame them for making a new type of game, but do a full stop 180 and make a shooter, then make an RPG and stick to your strengths. The combat is good so the former shouldn't be an issue and we already know how well they do single player RPG shooters (i.e. Mass Effect trilogy). Make it a coop experience, like 2 players perhaps, and the latter would be aces too.
    I do recommend that you look into Leyton's story. You don't have to actually buy or play the game to appreciate what they did there, and it comes with a serious gut punch of a player dialogue decision which impacts your relation with the three characters involved.
    blastermaster
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    BTW Anthem is about to be hit by another crapstorm: it look like damage numbers from weapons are complete bogus and default level 1 gun is the best in slot (4 shots to kill compared to 6 shots for L45 masterwork/legendary):

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/ay0oh7/psa_the_level_1_defender_rifle_is_the_best_weapon/
    SBFord[Deleted User][Deleted User]NorseGodGobstopper3DAlverantbartoni33infomatzMrMelGibson

Thank you for your time!

Arterius said:
    Aeander said:
    SBFord said:

Aeander said:

Arterius said:

See and this is what I believe BioWare missed: Doing what they do best by delivering stories --- good, deep, insightful and interesting stories --- about companions and giving a reason to go explore the world. The hybrid nature of what they tried to do missed the mark. I don't blame them for making a new type of game, but do a full stop 180 and make a shooter, then make an RPG and stick to your strengths. The combat is good so the former shouldn't be an issue and we already know how well they do single player RPG shooters (i.e. Mass Effect trilogy). Make it a coop experience, like 2 players perhaps, and the latter would be aces too.
    I do recommend that you look into Leyton's story. You don't have to actually buy or play the game to appreciate what they did there, and it comes with a serious gut punch of a player dialogue decision which impacts your relation with the three characters involved.
    I would be curious how you chose to end that mission and how it played out differently.
    Since I don't want to spoil it for anyone here, I'll just link the outcomes. 

https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/501693-anthem-prism-tacit-layton#/slide/1

(I personally chose to vouch for him, because I like him).
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    I think some of you are confusing EAware with Bioware.

Those quality, well written, and story-driven games that "Bioware" is known for was 20 years ago. The people that made Bioware what it was, have moved on years ago. 

Know what else is 20 years old? Picking a head in character customization.

Javelin customization is basically just changing colors.

*Note:

Yes, I know more customization options will come later. We saw them all in the demo. My question is, why is it ok, to strip away content (MVP) to release later as new content? They probably have a years worth of content sitting on a shelf and still charged $60 up front for it.

6 years development.
    $60.
    I'm not going to list all the other problems, because they are literal memes now. Everyone knows what they are.

So for anyone still hanging on to Anthem, I have to question why.

Is it because they think Anthem is a better game? Are they just fans of a long gone studio? Or are they just trying to justify wasting $60?

AeanderGdemamikoldmiserOctagon7711MrMelGibson
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    Arterius said:
    NorseGod said:

I mean I would like to say I am not a sucker. However, I am having so much fun in Anthem that its the first game that I have bought MTX for. Got some new emotes, javelin skins, and fabric
    That's good, man. What game did Anthem replace for you?

Not sure what you meant by the LOL emoji.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    3dom said:
    BTW Anthem is about to be hit by another crapstorm: it look like damage numbers from weapons are complete bogus and default level 1 gun is the best in slot (4 shots to kill compared to 6 shots for L45 masterwork/legendary):

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/ay0oh7/psa_the_level_1_defender_rifle_is_the_best_weapon/
    All you have to do is check your character stats to see if that's true or not.
    bartoni33TacticalZombeh
    NorseGod said:
    Arterius said:
    NorseGod said:

I mean I would like to say I am not a sucker. However, I am having so much fun in Anthem that its the first game that I have bought MTX for. Got some new emotes, javelin skins, and fabric
    That's good, man. What game did Anthem replace for you?

Not sure what you meant by the LOL emoji.
    Warframe in my particular case. Primarily because after hundreds of hours in Warframe, I was looking for something more difficult and with an actual sense of progression.
    Roin
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    edited March 2019
    Loving it. Beat the main story on opening weekend (got 30+ hours of out of, so well worth my 60 bucks; boatload more than the mere 10 hours I got out of Destiny when it launched), and I've been playing 2x to 3x weekly since then with friends (plus a random early morning Stronghold with coffee to wake me up). 

Has a few flaws. Doesn't detract from my enjoyment. Can't wait to participate in the upcoming world events :) 
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    Warframe....they are ripping off Warframe. This is what would happen if Warframe and The Division had a kid.

Anyway...despite the problems with this game, and there are a lot, I love it.

The combat is solid. The Javelins have great physics and feel like you imagine they would. The world is beautiful. There is so much potential i'm just pretending I'm in a beta.
    [Deleted User]gunklacker
    I would also add that it isn't normal to view games in a dedicated job-like "this replaces that" fashion. That's a distinctly MMO-player view of gaming.

It's normal and healthy to hop between many games in order to experience a variety of stories and experiences.
    [Deleted User]cmacqOctagon7711MrMelGibsonBadSpockTacticalZombeh
    koldmiser said:
    There is so much potential i'm just pretending I'm in a beta.
    So do you think paying full price (rewarding them) for a Beta is going to encourage studios to put out better games next time or continue releasing MVP games?
    [Deleted User]GdemamiBananableOctagon7711BadSpockTacticalZombeh
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    NorseGod said:
    I think some of you are confusing EAware with Bioware.

Those quality, well written, and story-driven games that "Bioware" is known for was 20 years ago. The people that made Bioware what it was, have moved on years ago. 

Know what else is 20 years old? Picking a head in character customization.

Javelin customization is basically just changing colors.

*Note:

Yes, I know more customization options will come later. We saw them all in the demo. My question is, why is it ok, to strip away content (MVP) to release later as new content? They probably have a years worth of content sitting on a shelf and still charged $60 up front for it.

6 years development.
    $60.
    I'm not going to list all the other problems, because they are literal memes now. Everyone knows what they are.

Is it because they think Anthem is a better game? Are they just fans of a long gone studio? Or are they just trying to justify wasting $60?

Easy one to answer. Flying and killing shit in this game is just plain fun, and many of us did not spend $60 on it. Origin Premium Service. Your implication is there a very few "hanging on" to this game. I am having not trouble finding games so I would certainly question that assumption.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonBadSpock

NorseGod said:

Iron Man. Look and feels of Iron Man. That's new, doesn't exist anywhere else. Better than actual Iron Man games. Makes it fun to shoot things again.

Destiny = Borderlands FPS, been there done that, nothing new.
    The Division = Typical cover shooter, been there done that, nothing new.
    Warframe = Mass Effect combat, just faster, nothing new. And what is that? What am I looking at? I don't want to look at it. Put it away.

Then the call of duty clones. So so many call of duty clones. Nothing new there.
    NorseGod
  • RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    I really like Anthem in a lot of ways. It does not feel like "Our world, my story" for me. It feels like a light looter story to get to the grinding where the open world part only allows 4 people that unless grouped up then can never see another person unless one is trying to find others for world events. The game feels like it is alpha.

The thing that gets me is that I don't mind that it is as I will keep playing it. Not as much as I want because of bugs that frustrate and no reason to get upset while waiting for fixes. I know that companies don't have the luxury to try and finish a game the way they used to. Having long betas just lead to losing people from buying the game as they do everything before release and cancel pre-order if it was required to get the beta or just never buy until it is cheap and has extra content. I include myself in the wanting my gaming for free or cheap as possible but I also know I need to support the games that I do like and want more of.

I will not give glowing reviews of Anthem but I will say that I enjoy it and glad I play it.
    NorseGod said:
    koldmiser said:
    So do you think paying full price (rewarding them) for a Beta is going to encourage studios to put out better games next time or continue releasing MVP games?
    Counter question. Is it normal or healthy to view every game you play or every purchase you make as a consumer's rights debate? Should you be made to feel guilty or responsible for everything you do because someone else (or even a lot of someones) consider that to be contributing to a problem? 
    ShadowStyleB
  • RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    edited March 2019
    87 hours into Anthem and still loving it but maybe i should listen to you whiner's and quit ? haha piss off

I bet most of the negative people that are bashing anthem never downloaded the open beta And if you downloaded it and did not like it thats fine just move on with your life we shal not miss you PS can i have your stuff ?
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]GdemamiNorseGodalkarionlog
    Arterius said:
    Aeander said:
    NorseGod said:
    koldmiser said:
    Counter question. Is it normal or healthy to view every game you play or every purchase you make as a consumer's rights debate? Should you be made to feel guilty or responsible for everything you do because someone else (or even a lot of someones) consider that to be contributing to a problem? 
    @NorseGod is right on this one. I mean I am guilty of buying this game and some MTX for them to say that games like this is okay but that doesn't mean he is wrong. We shouldn't let game studios get away with selling a game that is clearly not finished. Where they strip much of the game out to release later as MTX or content. That isn't good for us. We paid for the game. Its there in the code or however it works. We just can't have it until they are  ready.
    Is he right on this one? Like, objectively right?

There are so many various business practices in the industry that are questionable and it is up to us personally to decide what is acceptable.

If Norse is "right" on this one, where do we draw the line. If, for example, Torval applied his own standards to everyone else, he would be equally justified in saying that people who play Warframe or Path of Exile (two games he very explicitly name dropped for their cash shops) are hurting the consumer. There are so many players here who view all f2p as anti-consumer. Is it immoral, then, to play those games despite their public protestation?

I view all subscription MMOs as being anti-consumer because that business model no longer justifies itself as an alternative to cash shops (you usually get both). Would I be justified if I said that every WoW player is hurting the industry? Probably not.

NorseGod said:

koldmiser said:

That battle has been lost a long long time ago. The battle now is loot boxes and micro transactions. The battle for micro transactions is almost over, and it's a loss.
    NorseGod
  • Rastan1Rastan1 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    I think they just delivered a prologue with much more to come. That was a risky move for a game of this time and class. More should have been delivered at release and they had to know it. I think it will vastly improve over the months. Feels like another rushed out the door product with a missed opportunity. The good thing is the gameplay is amazing. Hopefully that becomes enough.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    laserit said:

laserit said:

"EA still not being able to make the right choices when it comes to an online title."

This is such a hypocritical statement.

First people criticize EA for having loot box in battlefront 2. Then the same people plays and praises apex legend, with loot boxes. What does this tell EA? That people are full of s**t.

If I were a betting man... It's mostly adolescents playing the new shiny F2P.

Mostly...
    Primarily, Principly, Predominantly, Substantially, Chiefly, Mainly ;)

Certainly not all. 
    What?  You mean different words have different meanings?  Who'd a thunk?
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams