Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Activision-Blizzard Teams Up with NewZoo for New Mobile Games Report 'Betting on Billions' - MMORPG

13»

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited March 2019
    I remember when Blizzard was the trendsetter and other companies scrambled to emulate their successes with WoW, Starcraft and Diablo. Now, the tables have turned and they are chasing things that other companies have been successfully into for years.

With King losing its moxy in an oversaturated market, one has to wonder why ActiBlizz didn't turn inward and use its own resources rather than go outside? If saving money is the goal alongside pushing out "lots of fun games" ( / sarcasm ) to mobile, it feels like it would have made more sense. 

Oh well, honestly, once one of my top 2 "go-to" companies, I've found others that I trust more.
    MadFrenchieScotPhryTacticalZombehdeniter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    And I don't own any cellphone/smartphone at all.

Beat that, Acti-Blizz.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    cheyane said:
    I blame workplaces that allow employees the time to play on their phones. I blame parents who relegated parenting to their phones at a young age by giving the phone to a toddler to fiddle. I blame the gamers that are willing to hunch over their tiny screens and negotiating the unnegotiable tiny interface. I blame the people that compromised and allowed this trend to make this much money. I blame every one of you that bought stuff on those damn phone games adding to the revenue and contributing to the greed factor.

I blame myself for playing the 450 piece puzzle game while waiting at the dentist or doctor's clinic and adding to that statistic.
    Oddly enough this reminded me of comments that "people" (its always "people") made when PCs were "new and shiny". Back in the stone age when PC games available included ... yep puzzle games! (Microsoft did some great collections). When even the "serious" games were basically just puzzle games e.g. Myst, Kings Quest.

PCs were going to ruin society; stop people writing to each other; stop people talking to each other; keep people from going out ....

Ironically one of the things that mobile devices don't do is stop you seeing the sunshine!
    SBFordSovrathTacticalZombeh
    Torval said:
    Mobile isn't going to make anybody go anywhere.

Before that happens, Hardware As A Service + Cross Platform SaaS is going to make mobile + console + PC Gaming meld/mutate/evolve into a new species.

That's why these studios have to be careful with HOW (not if) they handle a mobile portfolio. The core fans have great memory. DO NOT play with that and expect 0 repercussion.
    I mostly agree but the way they're going after mobile is last season's paradigm. I think you're a lot closer to on target with multiplatform the future because it's already in motion. Mobile, as we use it, isn't going anywhere immediately, but it's also completely saturated.

For example, the new Galaxy S10 has an experimental desktop mode feature. You can run a full Samsung Android Desktop. There is even an Ubuntu image packaged as an APK that can run a full ARM based Linux desktop. That's pretty powerful.

Now imagine your PSNow or Xbox Live app on your Samsung phone playing games that PlayStation or Xbox will emulate on your device. That future is pretty much here now. That's why I think Blizzard is chasing yesterday's breeze. They're chasing mobile in the same way other MMO devs chased WoW, and failed.

Agree @Kyleran 

And the technology continues to develop. Storage - continues to mushroomed; processors - now on 7nm - continue to get more powerful; screen size - how long before foldable tablets? And there are thin, light and foldable keyboard out there as well as voice recognition.

And as hardware gets smaller it becomes portable (I would have said mobile!)

What will be played out in all of this is an operating system "war".
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,976
    SBFord said:
    I remember when Blizzard was the trendsetter and other companies scrambled to emulate their successes with WoW, Starcraft and Diablo. Now, the tables have turned and they are chasing things that other companies have been successfully into for years.

With King losing its moxy in an oversaturated market, one has to wonder why ActiBlizz didn't turn inward and use its own resources rather than go outside? If saving money is the goal alongside pushing out "lots of fun games" ( / sarcasm ) to mobile, it feels like it would have made more sense. 

Oh well, honestly, once one of my top 2 "go-to" companies, I've found others that I trust more.
    Gaming companies reputations do not matter any more, it is now down to what they are doing with the online game they have already made and how good the last title was. That's why I never say I won't buy from this company or that one is one you can trust.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Mobile gaming is like a plague it should be eradicated. 

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Scot said:
    Gaming companies reputations do not matter any more, it is now down to what they are doing with the online game they have already made and how good the last title was. That's why I never say I won't buy from this company or that one is one you can trust.
    Without a doubt! I am not saying that I will never play another Blizzard game again (I already play HotS and Overwatch with an occasional game of D3). I simply won't always believe that it's going to be a game I'll love the way I used to. Blizzard has entered into the "wait for the reviews" category that 99% of other companies are in. :D
    TacticalZombehgervaise1[Deleted User]Scot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    I feel like mobile gaming has a real possibility to bring people together the way the internet did when it was new and make something truly remarkable, but it’s all bogged down by greed and publishers just chasing the dragon.
    SignexSBFord

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    Mobile gaming makes me want to puke
    TheocritusJemAs666
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    All of the money grabbers are jumping into the mobile market now.
    NorseGod
  • JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I mean its pretty simple for me.  I will not play a game on a tiny screen when I have multiple large screens to play.  Fairly sure they don't care because I am just a single person, but my money will never be spent on a mobile game.
    SBFordPhryTacticalZombeh
    Even if I wanted to play on my phone, and I dont, I jsut dont have the space or power to play anything that is demanding at all. I only have 2 gigs total HD space and only 500M available lol
  • milayskymilaysky Member UncommonPosts: 39
    mobile devices are not there yet to be able run a proper game ..masses that like to click things in the meantime at the bus stop shouldn't be called gamers. If you sit on craper and stroke your tablet while your vein builds up on your forehead and you watch auto action ..still you are not a gamer.
    Yes weak minded masses are in majority of the planet population ( part of the world education goal ) so there will be $$$ flying out of teir wallets, no brainer.
    In any case, those ppl are not GAMERS!!! pfuj that
    mobile devices must have at least gesture support with no gloves on your hands and run lets say LOTRO Virtual ( made up future game ) to have some gamers in their lines.
    If not htere yet, GTFO with mobiles what ever ..no one here is interested.
    ..and get me out of the freezer when mobiles get there, I may turn one on ;)
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    carnt afford to anyways, not at £49.99-£129.99 for packages and the cheap ones are naff ranging from 4.99-29.99

Just not viable, rather buy a game on PS or PC for that and play whenever and however long i want to, not an hour then have to wait (or purchase stuff to speed up teh cooldown rate).

End of activision/blizzard as we know it
    boris20 said:
    I find this sad.

Sure there are crap "mobile" games - I wouldn't argue if you said lots! There are also crap PC games as well though - lots!

And there are also mobile games like Pokemon Go that brought real pleasure to the children of multiple friends I know - and got them mixing with other people as well. Still out there as well.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    gervaise1 said:
    boris20 said:
    I find this sad.

Sure there are crap "mobile" games - I wouldn't argue if you said lots! There are also crap PC games as well though - lots!

And there are also mobile games like Pokemon Go that brought real pleasure to the children of multiple friends I know - and got them mixing with other people as well. Still out there as well.

What I find sad... It is not the games themselves, it's the business models.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    gervaise1 said:
    boris20 said:
    I find this sad.

Whats sad, is seeing the priority of development teams switching over to mobile and less emphasis on PC gaming. There will be more crap PC games incoming. Less money in the market = overall less quality and time spent on games. Yes, it makes me sad. I really do not like mobile games, the shallowness of them, the idea of "gaming" on my phone, all of it. 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    boris20 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    boris20 said:
    I find this sad.

Whats sad, is seeing the priority of development teams switching over to mobile and less emphasis on PC gaming. There will be more crap PC games incoming. Less money in the market = overall less quality and time spent on games. Yes, it makes me sad. I really do not like mobile games, the shallowness of them, the idea of "gaming" on my phone, all of it. 
    There still is huge money in the PC console market, If these companies neglect it someone else will take up the slack.
    NorseGodSpottyGekkoTacticalZombeh

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Poison_GirlPoison_Girl Member UncommonPosts: 34
    "there is more diversity within the mobile gaming space than anywhere else" I disagree...Strange research.
    edited March 2019
    The sad thing is that these companies are just seeing the dollar signs, not that they can maybe make a great game, but that they can make alot of money....
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    All of the money grabbers are jumping into the mobile market now.
    Is this guy someone that wants to make fun games or make money? I don't mean some money, I mean ALL of the money.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,976
    edited March 2019
    Palebane said:
    I feel like mobile gaming has a real possibility to bring people together the way the internet did when it was new and make something truly remarkable, but it’s all bogged down by greed and publishers just chasing the dragon.
    Mobile gaming will not bring gamers together as most playing games on them are not gamers. People yes, but people who make casuals in PC and consoles look like MMORPG gamers who play their MMO's for a few years.
    BruceYee