Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite Dangerous Devs Heading to 'the Next Era' but Not Until Late 2020 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageElite Dangerous Devs Heading to 'the Next Era' but Not Until Late 2020 - MMORPG.com

Elite Dangerous will be getting another expansion, the third in the game's history, but not until late 2020. Pilots need not despair, however, as there will be smaller updates throughout the time between now and then. The expansion is considered "the next major era of Elite" and that it "will be a defining moment in the history of the game. Developers further write that it will be the biggest update since launch in 2014.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    "We have an update but we cannot tell you - what is it?"

There is a fairy tale about strange PR like this: the boy who cried "wolf!"
    SBFord[Deleted User]natpickgastovski1[Deleted User]

Thank you for your time!

• foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    This is a really nice game ... simulator ... game ... I'm not sure which one it is more of. There was some disappointment with receiving this announcement since nothing significant will happen in 2019. I enjoy ED & it can be fun, but it gets difficult in recommending it to others when nothing is going to happen during 2019 & what may or may not happen after that is being shrouded.
    [Deleted User]Zeneren
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    I am trying to find the source of something I had read a number of weeks ago, Hell i'm 50 I cant remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, but it was a supposed comment from a dev on a complete engine overhaul/ new engine that point was a bit vague and a kinda relaunch BUT not a sequel, that was about the only thing that was stressed strongly.

I vaguely remember having to use google translate, think the discussion was occurring on the German fan site, i'll back track into that when I get home from work, but if anyone can speak German can you look as I am just randomly trying to re-find a thread with google translate LOL.
    [Deleted User]

• AndrewTheJoyfulAndrewTheJoyful Newbie CommonPosts: 29
    3dom said:

Maybe they have nothing to say yet.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    foppotee said:
    This is a really nice game ... simulator ... game ... I'm not sure which one it is more of. There was some disappointment with receiving this announcement since nothing significant will happen in 2019. I enjoy ED & it can be fun, but it gets difficult in recommending it to others when nothing is going to happen during 2019 & what may or may not happen after that is being shrouded.
    Why? If you recommend it to others then it's assumed that they have never played it. I "think" they should get a lot of game play out of it just before they update it next year.

If this really is a simulator type of game (which sounds awesome to me and I've had it on my list of games to buy for quite some time) then it will appeal to people who like to explore and do things on their own.

I see no issue.
    kryntokTacticalZombeh
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    3dom said:

Other than a few exceptions, FD has always been tight lipped about their content patches.

I'm just hoping it's atmospheric landings and not space legs.

..Cake..

• PossumPossum Member UncommonPosts: 65
    2019 will be mostly bugfixing, for 2020 I hope for atmospheric landings and maybe even legs
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Possum said:
    2019 will be mostly bugfixing, for 2020 I hope for atmospheric landings and maybe even legs
    Space legs

Sovrath
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • nastilonnastilon Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Insert random star citizen comparison here :)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited March 2019
    Torval said:
    I think this game is interesting but the sim-like flight controls are a deal breaker for me. I just don't want to play with that, get a hotus, or whatever. The other stuff sounds cool though. Disappointing they have nothing planned for the entire year.
    I actually bought it on a Steam sale,  but after watching a few videos on how to fly decided that was more realism than I am seeking in my games.
    [Deleted User]Robsolf

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    edited March 2019
    Torval said:
    Disappointing they have nothing planned for the entire year.
    They'll have plenty of smaller updates in the time it takes them to release the major expansion.
    It's mentioned in the article.
    [Deleted User]

..Cake..

• natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    elite dangerous is a strange one,i love it and hate at the same time,your given this huge universe to travel in and great ships with awesome physics and the sound is incredible,but then the devs seem to do everything to counter this by making strange and sometimes baffling descisions,the game would be best just left to the players but fd seem to not want players to have a good time,not going into much detail here,just read up on it,as said game can be rewarding but prepare for many many frustrations.
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    I think this game is interesting but the sim-like flight controls are a deal breaker for me. I just don't want to play with that, get a hotus, or whatever. The other stuff sounds cool though. Disappointing they have nothing planned for the entire year.
    I actually bought it on a Steam sale,  but after watching a few videos on how to fly decided that was more realism than I am seeking in my games.
    That's why I play No Man's Sky. It's the fantasy sci-fi game for filthy casuals. :lol: I think it's fine and don't expect this game to change, but it's not what I want to spend my gaming time doing.

btw, I'm already through Euclid (starter), Hilbert, and just landed in Calypso galaxy. The new galaxy seems a lot less friendly.
    LOL, I need to read a few guides, I never got out of the three solar systems I visited.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Torval said:
    sgel said:
    Torval said:
    Disappointing they have nothing planned for the entire year.
    They'll have plenty of smaller updates in the time it takes them to release the major expansion.
    It's mentioned in the article.
    That's good to know. For some reason I translated that into bug fixes and small QoL polish updates. Those are nice though and important, but I'm glad to know they have a more frequent update schedule.
    I dunno, sounds a lot like the direction EVE took 4 or 5 years ago when the new big content expansions came to an end.

Since then most of their effort has been spent revamping existing systems in ways which mostly did nothing to increase my interest in the game.

One revamp in particular brought my time there to an end a few years ago,  but it was a good 10 yr run.

[Deleted User]

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Identical experience, here.  Bought the game on steam and returned it after a couple hours of trying to do even the most mundane things.  Couldn't work my way past "frustrating".

The irony is, we're 10 years away from self driving cars being commonplace.  If space travel ever becomes as common as driving, then most of what you have to do in E:D won't be required.  In terms of piloting requirements, Eve will actually be more "realistic".
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • seldinseldin Member UncommonPosts: 196
    The will still probably be before Star Citizen releases. :)
    RobsolfTacticalZombeh
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    seldin said:
    The will still probably be before Star Citizen releases. :)
    And will probably be better.  It will have better data and feedback from actually having been a launched game all these years... and having actually generated revenue.
    Kyleran