Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Calling all "old" members!

Comments

• teradungeonteradungeon Member CommonPosts: 6
    edited May 2017
    hi guys i konw this question nothing related to this thread, but can i ask: how can post something in here, cause i don't see the new thread button. Can anyone inbox me the way. 
    Many thanks guys.
  • rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
    edited June 2017
    I can't believe I joined this site in 2003. I still remember looking at 240p videos of DAoC on Gamespot thinking the graphics were unbelievable. And someone gave me a closed beta invite to EQ2 which was one of the greatest gifts ever, so thanks to whoever that was!

Of all the MMOs I tried I have the fondest memories playing FFXI. I'm not even sure it was the game itself but the community was fantastic. And I know it's cool to hate on WoW but I was really impressed by the game for the first few years. I got a closed beta to that too and those invites were rare! My cousin stayed the entire week and we took shifts building our character. That's basically when I stopped playing MMOs because nothing interested me anymore. I came back to see how Everquest Next is progressing only to find out it's been cancelled!

Anyway, how've you all been? I remember Kiamde, Justin, Dekron, Murtbijani, Koltrane, Flem, Rikimaru_X and I'm sure a bunch more if I saw their screen names.

Edit: By the way this is a bit of trivia for the MMO veterans. There was a major cable show that aired a segment on the original Everquest when it was popular. It might have been 20/20 or 60 minutes. I just vaguely remember them interviewing players and discussing addiction to MMOs. Am I crazy or did that exist? Maybe I just imagined it, lol.

I found a Canadian segment but I'm sure an American show did one as well.
    http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1466878382
    Post edited by rathma on

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    rathma said:
    I can't believe I joined this site in 2003. I still remember looking at 240p videos of DAoC on Gamespot thinking the graphics were unbelievable. And someone gave me a closed beta invite to EQ2 which was one of the greatest gifts ever, so thanks to whoever that was!

Of all the MMOs I tried I have the fondest memories playing FFXI. I'm not even sure it was the game itself but the community was fantastic. And I know it's cool to hate on WoW but I was really impressed by the game for the first few years. I got a closed beta to that too and those invites were rare! My cousin stayed the entire week and we took shifts building our character. That's basically when I stopped playing MMOs because nothing interested me anymore. I came back to see how Everquest Next is progressing only to find out it's been cancelled!

Anyway, how've you all been? I remember Kiamde, Justin, Dekron, Murtbijani, Koltrane, Flem, Rikimaru_X and I'm sure a bunch more if I saw their screen names.

Edit: By the way this is a bit of trivia for the MMO veterans. There was a major cable show that aired a segment on the original Everquest when it was popular. It might have been 20/20 or 60 minutes. I just vaguely remember them interviewing players and discussing addiction to MMOs. Am I crazy or did that exist? Maybe I just imagined it, lol.

Wow, haven't seen you around for awhile.  Looks like a few of us old timers are still alive and kicking eh.
    rathma
    I would be around more often if there were new interesting MMOs to play, haha. Are you playing anything new?

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    rathma said:
    I would be around more often if there were new interesting MMOs to play, haha. Are you playing anything new?
    Just Elder Scrolls Online at the moment on teh xbox when i have nothing else to play.  Think the novelty of MMO's wore off a few years ago for me.
    Flem said:
    rathma said:
    Just Elder Scrolls Online at the moment on teh xbox when i have nothing else to play.  Think the novelty of MMO's wore off a few years ago for me.
    Yes I've been having this "did MMO's change or did I?" thought process lately. I imagine both, but to a greater degree it's me that changed. It's tough to predict the future, but I suspect when VR technology matures there will be another wave of popularity in this genre. There is no other game genre that would benefit from the added immersion than MMORPG's.

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Still here, still waiting for the One true morty of mmorpgs. I thought Darkfall online was it, but alas it had too many flaws. Bring of the VR matrix style mmos.

MurderHerd

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    Flem said:
    rathma said:

Wow, haven't seen you around for awhile.  Looks like a few of us old timers are still alive and kicking eh.
    Alive. Lurking.
  • DanmannDanmann Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 95
    This website hasn't been bought by Bot-Trolling Hentai Pushers yet? Color me surprised...

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the reviews of MMORPG.com or its management.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275
    Ok, been a few years since i visit this forum.
    Anything new happens?
  • ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883
    hmm

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553
    What are we defining as "old"?

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• GrimikkGrimikk Member CommonPosts: 1
    Good
  • Willa2Willa2 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Am i an old member?
  • sapanasainisapanasaini Member CommonPosts: 1

plz help i"m unable to join discussion forum

• bracesboxbracesbox Member CommonPosts: 1

I don't want to get to know you guys.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    bracesbox said:

I don't want to get to know you guys.

The feeling is mutual, kid.
    Flem[Deleted User]
  • ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407
    I just come here to browse the spam emails I get telling me how my account has been hacked.
  • XarktardXarktard Member UncommonPosts: 12
     B) 
  • TozielToziel Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Hmm.

"You can’t say civilization isn’t advancing: in every war they kill you in a new way." – Will Rogers
    "We learn from history that we learn nothing from history." - George Bernard Shaw

• XarktardXarktard Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Toziel said:
    Hmm.
     :* 
  • RynetRynet Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Who let the dogs out!
  • JoyFreakkJoyFreakk Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    Been a member since 2009! I just remembered my old account details and here I am. Wow it's been a decade! My childhood memories!
  • ReticulataReticulata Member UncommonPosts: 98
    My account says joined 2005. I have the ancient badge, and the interface says 3.4k other accounts currently have the ancient badge.

SOE changes name to Daybreak games, cause dey break games.
  • daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Looks like ancient is over 10 years.  From what I can tell, many of us that started this "old timers" thread were generally around in the 2003-4 timeframe.  Probably arguing about EQ, DAOC, and SWG.
    [Deleted User]Flem