Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shroud of the Avatar - 'We Are Nomadic Now' as the Team Gives Up Its Office Space - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Does this mean I won’t be getting my episodes 2 and 3 anytime soon?
    JamesGoblinLeFantome

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited March 2019
    Oh, the irony of the SotA developers not being able to afford housing. And holy shit, the cult power is strong with this one. Most of the players on the official forum thread about working remotely are buying in that this is a good sign for Portalarium and the game. What would it take for their faith to be shaken? Anything short of the total closing of the game?
    ThuplicraftseekersquibblyNildeninfomatzJamesGoblinRnjypsyEarthgirltweedledumb99Aragon100
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Just make an Ultima gacha mobile game. It'll make billions!...

Next step, back to dial up. It's cheaper to have all communication through a single line.
    JamesGoblinAragon100

It just blows my mind that so many of the players are seeing this as a positive thing.  I've followed the development of this game for years, and I still can't wrap my head around it.
    squibblyKyleranJamesGoblinAragon100
  • DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 229
    edited March 2019
    Next week, you will read that the game now only has an offline mode as they free up resources and time, according to Long, due to increasing server rental costs and rising utilities.

Going under due to failure can not be masked! We know SotA failed. Nice try, Long!
    craftseekersquibblyJamesGoblinAragon100
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Translation: We broke as sh*t, yo!
    craftseekersquibblyvelimiriusJamesGoblinAragon100

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    It just blows my mind that so many of the players are seeing this as a positive thing.  I've followed the development of this game for years, and I still can't wrap my head around it.
    Imagine playing the game and you love it. Pretend. Now you also know that the population isn’t up to snuff. You don’t want the game to shut down so seeing a post about the team cutting costs really is a good sign. It means they can keep doing what they’re doing with sota and the servers can stay up. 
    squibblyAragon100Hluill
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    To be fair he’s not lying even if it’s to cover paychecks. Paychecks do fall under “other things”. 
    He framed it like it was some smart business choice and not a move made out of budget pressures.  If it was such a great move, methinks someone at Port might've had the right bulb go off before now.

If you're going to spoon-feed folks obvious bullshit with some sprinkles on it to make it look good, you can't expect to get away without receiving some disgusted looks.
    That is a smart business choice lol. Truth is they didn’t have to say anything at all and probably would have been better off keeping it quiet. 
    It was merely a necessary one.  I don't think anyone can look at that project and think, "Yea, they're making smart business moves."  I think their business would be faring much better if they were.
    No matter how much you try to spin it it’s a good business choice.
    Spin!! You must be rotating at a couple of Megahertz!
    A business that doesn't have commercial premises is called a hobby! A smart business choice would be a  smallish office with a conference room big enough for meetings, a receptionist and a couple of senior staff. With everyone else telecommuting.

This is a panic move to stave off bankruptcy.
    NildensquibblyJamesGoblinVrikaGdemamitweedledumb99Aragon100
    To be fair he’s not lying even if it’s to cover paychecks. Paychecks do fall under “other things”. 
    He framed it like it was some smart business choice and not a move made out of budget pressures.  If it was such a great move, methinks someone at Port might've had the right bulb go off before now.

If you're going to spoon-feed folks obvious bullshit with some sprinkles on it to make it look good, you can't expect to get away without receiving some disgusted looks.
    That is a smart business choice lol. Truth is they didn’t have to say anything at all and probably would have been better off keeping it quiet. 
    It was merely a necessary one.  I don't think anyone can look at that project and think, "Yea, they're making smart business moves."  I think their business would be faring much better if they were.
    A business that doesn't have commercial premises is called a hobby! A smart business choice would be a  smallish office with a conference room big enough for meetings, a receptionist and a couple of senior staff. With everyone else telecommuting.

Except none of that is required. Smart move. 
    squibblycraftseekerGdemamiAragon100
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Oh yeah these guys are absolute business geniuses. What's next the server room is a closet in Garriots mansion? Good business move. /slowclap
    craftseekerJamesGoblinGdemamiAragon100

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nilden said:

Oh yeah these guys are absolute business geniuses. What's next the server room is a closet in Garriots mansion? Good business move. /slowclap
    Keeping the doors open.
    craftseekerAragon100
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Nilden said:

Keeping the doors open.
    You just made @Emeraq look even funnier with the no doors joke.
    ChildoftheShadowsJamesGoblinAragon100

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691
    edited March 2019
    Where are the white knights ? The game is awesome, with thousand of players blah blah blah.. Guys.. the turd is going to be flushed , really soon.
    Post edited by LeFantome on
    JamesGoblinAragon100

LeFantome said:
    Where are the white knights ? The game is awesome, with thousand of players blah blah blah.. Guys.. the turd is going to be flushed , really soon. I wonder what Chris is going to become.
    IDK, that Vladimir guy that was all over the place is no longer to be found.
    JamesGoblinLeFantomeAragon100
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Nilden said:

Keeping the doors open.
    Hiw can they be 'keeping the doors open' when they just stopped leasing the doors?
    Slapshot1188JamesGoblinAragon100
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited March 2019
    I wonder which developer has to take Richard Garriott's "robot" (aka Beam) home to live with them?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lifehacker.com/im-richard-garriott-aka-lord-british-and-this-is-how-1831177709/amp

;)
    craftseekerJamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

No matter how much you try to spin it, this is an act of total desperation,  nothing more.
    craftseekerJamesGoblinNilden

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited March 2019
    Kyleran said:

No matter how much you try to spin it, this is an act of total desperation,  nothing more.
    So keeping the office in their situation would be a bad move, right? That means dropping it, because they are not necessary, is a good move. 

Everyone always wanting to jump on that hate wagon. Pathetic really. 
    JamesGoblinKyleranLeFantome
    edited March 2019
    Kyleran said:

So keeping the office in their situation would be a bad move, right? That means dropping it, because they are not necessary, is a good move. 

I think the point is, it wasn't a great strategic move or any kind of "experiment."  It was a last-ditch act of desperation from a dying company.  It's not like they wanted to do this.  They're just spinning it in the only remotely positive way they can, and some suckers are falling for it.
    craftseekerJamesGoblinKyleranMadFrenchietweedledumb99
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 565
    Anyone ever consider not going for blood with every news piece?
    Isn't that all that Garriott has left at this point?
    JamesGoblinKyleranLeFantome[Deleted User]
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Anyone ever consider not going for blood with every news piece?
    Isn't that all that Garriott has left at this point?
    No, he sold his blood too, literally actually.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    craftseekerJamesGoblinKyleranLeFantome[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Kyleran said:

It's as good decision as amputating someone's leg to save his life: Doing what must be done when it's the only hope left.
    KyleranMadFrenchieJamesGoblintweedledumb99

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Well it seems they are going bust - It's what happens you you rely on a big name to draw flies around their pile of shit game. They'll have a tatse then fly off to a better meal.
    JamesGoblin