Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Division 2 – Open Beta Impressions

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2019
    Why does this need to be a bullet sponge game? It's already a cover shooter. If you're behind cover and the enemy is shooting at you, that's called suppressive fire. If you poke you head out then you get shot and die. Common sense 101.

You're not wearing futuristic vibranium metal armor. You don't have space alien technology energy shields. Why are you taking 20 shots to the face and still alive and kicking?

This game is 1000% turn off.
    I get the sentiment, Ubi did themselves no favors selecting a near-future setting that they intentionally try to keep as "possible" as, well, possible.

That said, almost no game ever has seen the player go down with a single round.  Most FPSs and TPSs are more forgiving.  Almost all.  There's a certain level of suspension of disbelief that is required.

That said, an enemy clearly taking magazine after magazine of high-velocity rounds does tug at the limits of said suspension.

As for PvP, that's part and parcel with being an RPG.  RPGs have always had gear play a role in an avatar's overall power.  Apparently, that's being mitigated or eliminated for Div2, which is a large improvement over Div1 as far as shooter PvP goes.

As for performance: my rig runs an OC 970 and the private beta ran fine for me, really well even.  YMMV.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    sgel said:

sgel said:

Why does this need to be a bullet sponge game? It's already a cover shooter. If you're behind cover and the enemy is shooting at you, that's called suppressive fire. If you poke you head out then you get shot and die. Common sense 101.

You're not wearing futuristic vibranium metal armor. You don't have space alien technology energy shields. Why are you taking 20 shots to the face and still alive and kicking?

Because it's not meant to be 100% realistic.
    It never was.
    It balances realism with scifi to create interesting gameplay.
    Not sure why that's such a hard concept to understand.

And that doesn't work for modern guns with modern settings. Not sure why that's such a hard concept to understand.
    Sure it does.
    It works for The Div, Apex Legends, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Titanfall, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc etc etc
    The Division is an RPG Cover Shooter.  It's like when people complained in the Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic series (including the MMO), enemies could get hit by lightsabers and still fight on, and they complained it's unrealistic. Or blasters would fire off several times into an enemy and they would shrug them off.  There is a certain amount of realism but because it's an RPG they take liberties with some of it, or else the entire premise of gear is moot. 

Kill times have decreased, not because it was really unrealistic for an RPG to fire dozens of rounds into an enemy, but because it was boring to do that. Now, the pace of combat is a lot faster, more fun, and even the war hounds die much faster than before.  

The use of the specialization weapons help.  I'm really happy I can use them now without worrying if I'll find ammo along the way.  They do so much damage, you can get OHKs on several enemies, I mean the grenade launcher alone can take out a group if they're in close proximity.  

I'm excited to finally play it without worrying about losing my characters.
    sgelMrMelGibsonGdemamiinfomatzValdheimKrisConway

• ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97

Minus some DX12 (only) graphic issues, sound bugs and occasional disconnects, it was a pretty solid open access beta. I played the vast majority of the weekend, finished all the PvE content and played enough Dark Zone PvP to feel comfortable saying it's as advertized. An important thing I want to say about the Division. 

Ubisoft keeps impressing with a no frills/fluff approach to The Division 2. No hype train, no CGI trailers, all in-game footage, providing storyline, end-game and pass perk content information before the game even launches. Ubisoft has never labeled this game as anything more than an improved version of the first game. 

There is no EA (we don’t want to spoil it) question dodging. They’ve explained in detail, the story campaign length is 40 hours on avarage. The classes, weapons, loot drop mechanics and formula have been discussed in detail. What exactly there is to do at end-game and what and when the content for the next year will be released. Aside the pass perks, all free of charge content.

Bravo Ubisoft. This is how release information and content development should work. Now don’t go back on your word.

sgelmaskedweaselBadSpockRoininfomatziby355Valdheimlaseritcorvasrertezand 1 other.
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
  • Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 484

sgel said:

sgel said:

It never was.

And that doesn't work for modern guns with modern settings. Not sure why that's such a hard concept to understand.

Sure it does.
    It works for The Div, Apex Legends, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Titanfall, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc etc etc

You just named quake, unreal, titanfall, apex as modern guns with modern settings. You've just lost your argument.

Call of duty is the ultimate shame and disgrace of all existence and should be mentioned never.

Battlefield is not a bullet sponge of any kind compared to the division. You lost your argument again.
    AlomarGdemamiAalamr
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400

sgel said:

sgel said:

It never was.

Sure it does.

You just named quake, unreal, titanfall, apex as modern guns with modern settings. You've just lost your argument.

Call of duty is the ultimate shame and disgrace of all existence and should be mentioned never.

Battlefield is not a bullet sponge of any kind compared to the division. You lost your argument again.

What exactly is the argument?  You think the game shouldn't have bullet sponge mechanics.  The developers think otherwise.  They made looter shooter with RPG elements, not a realistic war sim.  

We get it, not your cup of tea.  Making the same comment over and over on Division 2 discussions isn't gonna change the mechanics of the game, or the opinion of the people that are interested in the game for what it is.  
    maskedweaselsschruppMrMelGibsonNyteWytchMaddog666Roininfomatziby355Valdheimcorvas
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    sgel said:

sgel said:

It never was.

Sure it does.
    The Division is an RPG Cover Shooter.  It's like when people complained in the Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic series (including the MMO), enemies could get hit by lightsabers and still fight on, and they complained it's unrealistic. Or blasters would fire off several times into an enemy and they would shrug them off.  There is a certain amount of realism but because it's an RPG they take liberties with some of it, or else the entire premise of gear is moot. 

Kill times have decreased, not because it was really unrealistic for an RPG to fire dozens of rounds into an enemy, but because it was boring to do that. Now, the pace of combat is a lot faster, more fun, and even the war hounds die much faster than before.  

The use of the specialization weapons help.  I'm really happy I can use them now without worrying if I'll find ammo along the way.  They do so much damage, you can get OHKs on several enemies, I mean the grenade launcher alone can take out a group if they're in close proximity.  

I'm excited to finally play it without worrying about losing my characters.
    Same. I didn't play the open beta minus the very first mission, only because I put a bunch of time into the private beta. Excited for this game to launch. Really enjoyed Division 1, but quit (like many did) not too long after launch because the content/end game just wasn't there.

Div 2 has a lot to offer straight off the bat, and TBH I've been really impressed by the last two Ubi games I've played, they are on a roll.
    maskedweaselNyteWytchDoctorhooinfomatziby355ValdheimMadFrenchielaserit
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    edited March 2019

sgel said:

sgel said:

It never was.

Sure it does.

I'd say my counter-argument is pretty fine considering your argument was that modern shooters needed to be 100% realistic and none of the ones I mentioned are.

Feel free to move the goalposts around if you feel you have to.

Roin

..Cake..

sgel said:

sgel said:

sgel said:

It never was.

Sure it does.

I'd say my counter-argument is pretty fine considering your argument was that modern shooters needed to be 100% realistic and none of the ones I mentioned are.

LOL!! oh wow. I said "modern guns with modern settings". Not modern shooters. Did you even read? Yeah you should work on that.
    GdemamiMaddog666
  • seshsesseshses Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Character models need work and some of the new skills i personally didnt like at all .
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    I don't play these games. However, after watching some streams this weekend, I kinda wished I downloaded the beta.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    seshses said:
    Character models need work and some of the new skills i personally didnt like at all .
     which ones? I was happy with the chem launcher. It was like having 3 extra fire grenades. I didn't try the one that immobilized enemies, I bet it's good for slowing down high defense heavies.  

I rolled a chick this time around because I heard people complaining about the models. It took me about 10  minutes to find a model I liked doing the randomizer. I think the hair is what throws me off. I really liked this one pixie cut lady that I rolled, but with a hat and glasses, you couldn't even tell it was a girl. 

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    Well Pher0cious, sorry to hear a game many of us find fun isn't fun for you. I'm sure there's plenty of other games you'd enjoy discussing in other threads rather than in a thread for a game you want nothing to do with while trying to convince us we don't actually enjoy this one. That's the great thing about life in today's world. You are free to do stuff you enjoy, and ignore stuff you don't.
    momintimmoshraNyteWytchMaddog666RoininfomatzValdheimlaserit
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'm enjoying myself.  With mods and gear that gives increased damage for headshots to rifles you can do one shot kills and even on some armored guys. 

Also looking forward to future content involving the Pentagon and different seasons added.  Playing through Washington brought back deja vu moments when I played Splinter Cell Conviction that also took place in Washington,  I was going through the same rooms and streets.    
    iby355

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

sgel said:

sgel said:

sgel said:

It never was.

Sure it does.

LOL!! oh wow. I said "modern guns with modern settings". Not modern shooters. Did you even read? Yeah you should work on that.
    You mean you didn't know The Division has sci-fi elements? :D
    You thought it was a realistic simulator ? :D
    MrMelGibsonMaddog666RoinValdheimcorvas

..Cake..

• momintimmomintim Member UncommonPosts: 108

sgel said:

It never was.

Its an RPG first and loot shooter second thats the whole reason for stats lvling up having "build" ala MMO style game so no 1 shots would be pointless unless your high enough lvl like in any other RPG.

sgel said:

sgel said:

sgel said:

sgel said:

It never was.

Sure it does.

You mean you didn't know The Division has sci-fi elements? :D
    You thought it was a realistic simulator ? :D

Oh yea, m4 assault rifles are super sci fi, they don't exist in 2019 at all.

Looks like the only person moving the "goalposts" around is you, and it's not working out so well for you.
    GdemamiMaddog666
  • ogasnorogasnor Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I played it on my PS4, and I enjoyed it. Had a couple of issues, mostly audio cutting out, and one strange issue where a building between me and my enemies disappeared, so I pumped some shots into thin air and had them stop. Got closer to the building and climbed a ladder that was just hanging in space and suddenly the building was there.

I will say this though, I have NEVER had my PS4's fans kick up the way this game made them. At one point, it was like a jet engine getting ready to take off.
    maskedweaselsyltmackainfomatz

Looks like the only person moving the "goalposts" around is you, and it's not working out so well for you.
    Yeah and drones repairing your armour, seeing enemy outlines through concrete and mines chasing their targets are all weapons that exist in 2019.

I can't believe you still think The Div was supposed to be a realistic simulator :D :D
    Maddog666RoininfomatzValdheimcorvas

..Cake..

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Only interested in the single player part so I tried Division 2 over the weekend for about 12 hours getting to level 8 (taking my time completing all side missions and smelling the flowers). Have to say I enjoyed it but I will still not get the game though I think it is an improvement compared to 1. At least not now.

Be careful there might some spoilers below.

Combat is better than 1, less bullet sponge targets. I liked the environment more than NY which was just too dull imo. Missions were mostly fun though I think some need improvement (how should I know I have to rush in and kill that guy to prevent him to kill the captured agent. When I usually rush in it's my death, or the museum where you have to destroy 3 emitters fast. Solution just ignore anyone and rush through the zone destroying those emitters. Tank any incoming damage.). Also lot of their assets from Div 1 are reused and I just played the free demo of Div 1 and recognized that.

But the main reasons I won't get it are:
    It's too expensive. Not spending 60€-100€ for the single player part alone. Especially not one which looks more like a DLC than an actually new game.
    After the last mission you got 3 characters which were level 32 with equipment and you could play one mission with those. I just couldn't manage it solo, simply was too hard (yeah I know, I suck ;) ). So it looks like the later levels are still not soloable which is a no go for me.

Anyway, for people who are also interested in the muilty player and maybe haven't played the first one it might be worth it. It's a nice cover shooter.
    [Deleted User]
    Anthur said:
    Only interested in the single player part so I tried Division 2 over the weekend for about 12 hours getting to level 8 (taking my time completing all side missions and smelling the flowers). Have to say I enjoyed it but I will still not get the game though I think it is an improvement compared to 1. At least not now.

Be careful there might some spoilers below.

Combat is better than 1, less bullet sponge targets. I liked the environment more than NY which was just too dull imo. Missions were mostly fun though I think some need improvement (how should I know I have to rush in and kill that guy to prevent him to kill the captured agent. When I usually rush in it's my death, or the museum where you have to destroy 3 emitters fast. Solution just ignore anyone and rush through the zone destroying those emitters. Tank any incoming damage.). Also lot of their assets from Div 1 are reused and I just played the free demo of Div 1 and recognized that.

It's too expensive. Not spending 60€-100€ for the single player part alone. Especially not one which looks more like a DLC than an actually new game.
    After the last mission you got 3 characters which were level 32 with equipment and you could play one mission with those. I just couldn't manage it solo, simply was too hard (yeah I know, I suck ;) ). So it looks like the later levels are still not soloable which is a no go for me.

Anyway, for people who are also interested in the muilty player and maybe haven't played the first one it might be worth it. It's a nice cover shooter.
    I attempted the end game mission solo on hard. It took a VERY long time to get to the atrium portion with the 3 emitters, and then at that point I answered a request for backup and ported into someone elses mission. 

It's doable.. it's just.. very tough.  No doubt there will likely be end game missions that are soloable, but that one is best played with at least one other player. 
    sgelinfomatz

sgel said:

Yeah and drones repairing your armour, seeing enemy outlines through concrete and mines chasing their targets are all weapons that exist in 2019.

I can't believe you still think The Div was supposed to be a realistic simulator :D :D

You're trying too hard.

You said, "seeing enemy outlines through concrete". Thank you for providing more details that shows the division is crap.

By your own words, you go ahead and keep on moving that "goalposts" around. You're just digging your own grave at this point.

Maddog666spector75
    Anthur said:

I agree on the price... the packages are pretty expensive (though you get a 20% off with 100 Ucoins)

I disagree that the content looks more like a DLC.. especially since it has a whole new intricately detailed setting.
    The open beta alone had so much stuff to do....and  I expect the full game will have a lot more.
    maskedweasel

..Cake..

edited March 2019

sgel said:

You're trying too hard.

You said, "seeing enemy outlines through concrete". Thank you for providing more details that shows the division is crap.

By your own words, you go ahead and keep on moving that "goalposts" around. You're just digging your own grave at this point.

I'm glad you liked my goalposts quote and keep on using it every chance you get hoping it'll stick somewhere :D

While you're at it, I'll keep pointing out the silly things you say while you think I'm digging my own grave.

At least I'm happy you finally realized the game isn't supposed to be entirely realistic.
    Maybe you should step back and change your argument then: still think a post-apocalyptic scifi looter shooter should let you kill all enemies with a single headshot?

Maybe you should design a game like that.. I think you're on to something very special.

Valdheim

..Cake..

• knightfall98knightfall98 Member UncommonPosts: 64
    I had a some what different experience it wasnt smooth and a lot of rubberbanding, became especially during a fire fight, I tried turning down graphic and it did not help at all, I then switched to the console version and I experienced a much smoother game play, I thought i was my graphics card, then I thought it was my connection it seems like the ubisoft servers arent very good for me. The overall game feel exactly like the 1st one a few more new skills some of which locked for beta, the chem launcher was fun using the stick mod follow up with grenade was a rather sadistic combo. I liked the 1st one, but not enough to get into, I was planning on picking it up for pc but if the beta was any indication on ho it will perform ill just wait for a price drop and pick it up for console with the dlc included.
    maskedweasel

sgel said:

sgel said:

You're trying too hard.

I'm glad you liked my goalposts quote and keep on using it every chance you get hoping it'll stick somewhere :D

While you're at it, I'll keep pointing out the silly things you say while you think I'm digging my own grave.

At least I'm happy you finally realized the game isn't supposed to be entirely realistic.
    Maybe you should step back and change your argument then: still think a post-apocalyptic scifi looter shooter should let you kill all enemies with a single headshot?

Maybe you should design a game like that.. I think you're on to something very special.

I keep using it because it shows how much you project yourself onto others. Something that you do often yourself, then accusing others of it.

You haven't pointed out a single silly thing. Now you're just delusional. But hey, remember when you described quake as a game with modern weapons and modern settings. That was so embarrassing for you.

Oh I love this next part. Your words: "the game isn't supposed to be entirely realistic". Thank you again for point out why the game is crap. You're six feet under now kid.

I thought you were joking, but apparently, you think m4 assault rifles are sci fi. Oh wow. Now you're twelve feet under.

A SRS marksman rifle head shot kills a human flesh is a bad idea according to you. Looks like you lose again. Because everyone that played the division 1 disagrees with you on that. It's in the comments everywhere. But hey, you can't read so, I can understand your delusion.

Oh yes, I'm on to something special. You finally said something that's agreeable.
    Gdemami