Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for MMORPG with strong grouping

2»

Comments

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    EQ2 is releasing a new TLE server on the 16th of next month. All the gear has been redone to have no blue stats so that the content (in theory) should be harder and experience slower.

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited February 2019
    Fangrim said:
    EQ2 is releasing a new TLE server on the 16th of next month. All the gear has been redone to have no blue stats so that the content (in theory) should be harder and experience slower.
    It's on my mind, as well the LOTRO legendary server. I hate it because I don't have infinite time. And I don't want to spend $30 on both per month. Right now I'm more interested in EQ2 because of familiarity. I think I have regrets. Like EQ1, it's filled with--now insignificant--content. But that content is rich and fun to play through, even alone, although I'd rather not be. I dislike how easy soloing is so far--granted I've barely started. Even if I restrict myself to original content on release day, it's still a lot of content to see. Tte true power of TLE servers is to make the cotnent meaningful again, but most of all for people who haven't seen it yet!

Keep this in mind, I've only seen Frostfang Sea and bits of Qeynos and the nearby Antonica zone. I've only seen one or two of the dungeons in or around there. EQ2 is a new world to explore for me, if I choose to.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    edited February 2019
    Fangrim said:
    It's on my mind, as well the LOTRO legendary server. I hate it because I don't have infinite time. And I don't want to spend $30 on both per month. Right now I"m more interested in EQ2, despite all its flaws. I think I regret never trying it in its peak years.

I got 2 characters to 50 on LOTRO Legendary Server, even though I have a  lifetime sub i just don't log in there anymore. I played EQ2 from Launch to AoM ( late 2004 - 2014) then came back for the first TLE Stormhold. When that finished when they announced a new TLE I stopped again a few months after trying Live for a bit.
    I am debating trying the new TLE but what I really need is a new MMORPG /sigh. I too put all my gameing into a good MMORPG.

edited February 2019
    Well I settled on a plan of action couple days ago. I'm going to wait for the EQ2 TLE on March 16th. In the meantime, I'm playing Agnarr, the ldon-locked server in EQ.

I really liked the idea of doing legendary LOTRO. I might still do that, but that's further down the road now due to my choices.

On Agnarr I've noticed some changes since I last played live EQ, but I don't feel like expanding on all of it right now.  One thing that really strikes an impression on me is how slow leveling is. I like that though. I don't want to be force leveled and rushed to the next spot. I love to pour through the subtlety of a zone. Zones become like friends. Unfortunately, it's kind of lost on all the POK books. Finding groups is hard in one or two zones, however. You have to do things like "who all 1 3". Even that's tricky bcause of all the offline bazaar players and boxers and twinks. Long story short, EVERY noob starting area is my home because of the POK books, and it's necessary if I want to find groups. Long ago before the POK books, most of us players were essentially anchored to our single home city. That's where we found our group. It was only supportable because population was always incoming, until it wasn't...
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    If you can hold out for a bit i would look into Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. Its basically doing  a mostly old school style of MMO like EQ. I played FFXI from early on for many years and never found a solid replacement (14 after ARR is like just about everything else now). If you like the group heavy stuff and slower paced combat Pantheon might be worth looking into. I know there is another MMO also trying to jump into the oldschool style, but i forgot the name, i just know it had a few features i didnt like as much since im not big on PVP and whatnot.

Both games are more indie, but if you look at Pantheon you can tell there is a pretty good effort going into it.
    edited February 2019
    zanfire said:
    If you can hold out for a bit i would look into Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. Its basically doing  a mostly old school style of MMO like EQ. I played FFXI from early on for many years and never found a solid replacement (14 after ARR is like just about everything else now). If you like the group heavy stuff and slower paced combat Pantheon might be worth looking into. I know there is another MMO also trying to jump into the oldschool style, but i forgot the name, i just know it had a few features i didnt like as much since im not big on PVP and whatnot.

Both games are more indie, but if you look at Pantheon you can tell there is a pretty good effort going into it.
    Most definitely I'm looking forward to Pantheon. Are you referring to Saga of Lucimia? I'm also watching that one. They both look great to my aging eyes.

Release 11 - A Peek Behind The Curtain:

EDIT: Maybe you mean Gloria Victus?
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    zanfire said:

Most definitely I'm looking forward to Pantheon. Are you referring to Saga of Lucimia? I'm also watching that one. They both look great to my aging eyes.

Release 11 - A Peek Behind The Curtain:

EDIT: Maybe you mean Gloria Victus?
    Yah Saga of Lucimia was what i was thinking of. Im not sure what put me off more with that vs Pantheon, but it may have changed since i did not keep up with it much. Either way both seem to be going for that style that i loved about MMOs, the focus on groups and community and not single player chat boxes with focus on spamming rotations. 
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Fangrim said:
    I love and miss EQ2.  But I could never play it again, hers why:
    - EASY, the game has fallen into the hands of easy mode game play like modern.
    - WORLD IS A MESS, dis-jointed world with all the expansions.  It's a jig saw puzzle of confusion.

So... If they fix the EASY it will still be a WORLD MESS.  Sad to say, but the game is forever gone with no chance of recovery :(
    Hawkaya399
    Legends of Aria, 
    Some would say i'm biased because I'm actively hyping and playing it.  BUT that's not the case here, it truly is strong grouping. 

I've been afraid to leave the safe zones for about a week and just now joined a Guild to wander the world with.  A lot of very interesting stuff out there that I'm about to find with my new friends:)
    Hawkaya399
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    DMKano said:
    Legends of Aria, 
    Some would say i'm biased because I'm actively hyping and playing it.  BUT that's not the case here, it truly is strong grouping. 

I've been afraid to leave the safe zones for about a week and just now joined a Guild to wander the world with.  A lot of very interesting stuff out there that I'm about to find with my new friends:)

Interesting definition for friends you have there.

They are just temporary online folks who will ghost you in the blink of an eye.

Unless you know them IRL - I wouldn't consider them friends, just my 2c
    Ignore DMKano, he is a cynic when it comes to meaningful player interaction in MMOs. This is like saying someone you meet on social media cannot be a friend. Will they always be there for you, well will you always be playing that game? Will the guild play other games you end up playing?

Mainly the people I have known in MMOs are game specific but I would still call them friends, some in guilds I have known for more than fifteen years, some met in RL, just how the chips fall.

Friendship has changed since the days of Tom Sawyer, we meet few people in RL we know for the rest of our lives. Though the internet may mean you can keep up with them, even if you don't want to in fact. :)
    delete5230Hawkaya399Kyleran
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited March 2019
    DMKano said:
    Legends of Aria, 

Wait one second Kano there is thread from very recent if you want ill go thru your history where you are boasting of your 15 year gaming friend s, you even go into detail describing ther occupation , I also have a group of friends ive been with since AO and soem from UO over 20 years .. 
     People make friends all the time thru gaming , really takes little effort

Scotsquibbly
    edited March 2019
    Fangrim said:
    I love and miss EQ2.  But I could never play it again, hers why:
    - EASY, the game has fallen into the hands of easy mode game play like modern.
    - WORLD IS A MESS, dis-jointed world with all the expansions.  It's a jig saw puzzle of confusion.

So... If they fix the EASY it will still be a WORLD MESS.  Sad to say, but the game is forever gone with no chance of recovery :(
    Woah, get ready delete. This is a long post. Take it in. Get some coffee if you have to. Don't rush it. This is delicate. For real.

Your words are true, but you're wrong about this in one regard: the TLP servers. These're time-locked progression servers. This means it starts with original content and  stays there for 8-12 weeks, before moving to the next expansion. This means the "jig saw puzzle" is less confusing because you can't get lost in several different expansions in one night. I complained about this in 2013 when I first played Everquest 2. The other thing, about it being easy, while true, is less true with TLP, since some of the features in the later expansion won't be available until those expansions are released. For example, on the ldon-locked Agnarr server in EQ1, we don't have mercenaries. It'll stay that way too  because Agnarr is locked at LDON indefinitely. This means it's harder to solo. We also don't have defiant gear, which would obsolete almost all of the prior gear/quests available to groupers. Defiant gear was released sometime in 2007 during the Secrets of Faydwer expansion. So at least for the process of leveling, the end result is it's much more group-based, and hence, a bit harder in general.

It releases on March 16. Time-locked progression will look something like this, give or take some week(s) between releases, meaning the time to Destiny of Velious could be pushed back to late 2020 or early 2021:
    March 16 - Shattered Lands - original content
    June 1 - Desert of Flames
    August 8 - Kingdom of Sky
    October 12 - Echoes of Faydwer
    December 20 - Rise of Kunark
    February 15 2020 - The Shadow Oddysey
    April 10 2020 - Sentinel's Fate
    July 25 2020 - Destiny of Velious
    .... the rest of the expansions
    Chains of Eternity
    Tears of Veeshan
    Altar of Malice
    Terrors of Thalumbra
    Kunark Ascending
    Planes of Prphecy
    Chaos Descending

I would prefer a EQ2 server perma locked at Shatterend lands or maybe Rise of Kunark? I think it'd help make the game more coherent--to prevent the growing jigsaw puzzle confusion you mention. It'd probably also make it more of a group-based MMORPG. Regardless, I plan to commit some time.

But really I don't know anything about EQ2 beyond a couple zones, so it's hard for me to say when it became more solitary or confusing.

And delete, I really like this writer. She's the EQ2 vet at mmogames:
    *** Why Everquest 2 is dying (March 2017):

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    If you want to play older eq and actually do endgame check out takp server. Raids are rotated amongst the guilds there. 

Aren't really many grouping games left around unless you want a themepark.
    Hawkaya399Scot
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited March 2019
    DMKano said:
    Legends of Aria, 

By my definition "friends" are willing to take a bullet for you or vice versa, or loan you money with no real expectation of being paid back, everyone else is just an "acquaintance"

I don't have all that many friends....

;)
    Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited March 2019
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    Legends of Aria, 

By my definition "friends" are willing to take a bullet for you or vice versa, or loan you money with no real expectation of being paid back, everyone else is just an "acquaintance"

;)
    Do we have to be that critical here ?
    It's not like were asking guild members to suck snake venom from our private parts in real life.  But simply a group of new friends to play the game together.

They seem very friendly, and "little more" than acquaintancy.... Then again they may be setting me up to bring me deep into the games black forest and running away.  And I'll be in game dead  :s

@Kyleran ;
    Maybe you would have more friends if they stop taking bullets for you.  Friends don't last too long with you, do they ? 
    Post edited by delete5230 on
    KyleranPalebane
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    edited March 2019
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    Legends of Aria, 

;)
    A friend is just a person that you know and like, and who also likes you in a platonic sense. 

There's no need to overcomplicate things.
    delete5230
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Wow, ffxiv, overwatch

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited March 2019
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    Legends of Aria, 

;)
    A friend is just a person that you know and like, and who also likes you in a platonic sense. 

There's no need to overcomplicate things.
    Well, Kano was stating real friends only happen if you knew them in real life, I offered a stricter interpretation,  yours is a more liberal usage.

Mom said it best, "the number of real friends you're likely to have during your life can be counted on one hand....with fingers left over....."

;)

Everyone else ends up being just someone that you used to know.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon