Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anthem Ranger Guide to Blowing S**t Up - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageAnthem Ranger Guide to Blowing S**t Up - MMORPG.com

I want to let you all in on a little secret: the Ranger is an AOE powerhouse. Don’t let anyone tell you that the Ranger’s only good at single target damage. His combo effect and many of his abilities definitely lean that way, but who cares? The Ranger is one of the best javelins in Anthem when it comes to just blowing s**t up and I’ll tell you how.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Step 1 - Play a Storm.
    EpicJohnsonKalafax[Deleted User]SamhaelsschruppMrMelGibson
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Aeander said:

Step 1 - Play a Storm.

Nah.
    RexKushman[Deleted User]SamhaelHatefull
    MikeB said:

Aeander said:

Step 1 - Play a Storm.

Nah.
    You get ballistics. I get to shoot lightning out of my bare hands. And I get a sick ass cape. Your Ranger doesn't get a cape, does he?
    SovrathSamhaelMrMelGibson
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348

Aeander said:

MikeB said:

Aeander said:

Step 1 - Play a Storm.

Nah.

You get ballistics. I get to shoot lightning out of my bare hands. And I get a sick ass cape. Your Ranger doesn't get a cape, does he?

In the words of Edna Mode, "NO CAPES!"
    MikeB[Deleted User]LackingMMOShadowStyleBMrMelGibson
    koldmiser said:

Aeander said:

MikeB said:

Aeander said:

Step 1 - Play a Storm.

Nah.

Yes capes. In fact, we should get a second cape, so our cape can have a cape.
    SamhaelHatefullviddsterMrMelGibson
  • mallettjtmallettjt Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Step 1: play destiny 2 a game panned for lack of content that has more content.
    Aeander[Deleted User]momintimTheDarkrayneNorseGodKalafaxLimnicShadowStyleBAlexander.BBadSpockand 1 other.
  • InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    But I love my legendary frost grenade. It lets me toss 3 grenades as fast as I can mash the button when fully charged.  I can freeze everything
    Samhael
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495

Interitus said:

But I love my legendary frost grenade. It lets me toss 3 grenades as fast as I can mash the button when fully charged.  I can freeze everything

For some reason, my group wasn't amused when I did that and then yelled out "Stop! Collaborate and listen..." (that reaction might have been partially swayed by my continuing on with "Ice is back with my brand new invention" and then any other random lines I remembered)
    ShadowStyleBsschrupp
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I like Rangers, you guys are good at rezing me when I go all ham on my interceptor and forget that I do have a health pool I should look at.

Stormholds are a blast, remember hearing you should have diversity in your group if you expect to clear it.. 3 interceptors and a Storm sure can get it done though.
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    edited March 2019
    Can't figure out what purpose Rangers serve. Don't have the best defense. Don't have the best offense. Don't have the best flight time. They could easily get rid of Ranger. Give the Bulwark and Ultimate to Colossus. Rally point to interceptor. Spark and Beam launchers to Storm. Nothing would be loss from loss removing Ranger.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

Roin said:

Can't figure out what purpose Rangers serve. Don't have the best defense. Don't have the best offense. Don't have the best flight time. They could easily get rid of Ranger. Give the Bulwark and Ultimate to Colossus. Rally point to interceptor. Spark and Beam launchers to Storm. Nothing would be loss from loss removing Ranger.

Thats is why he is the "Jack of all Trades" ;)
    Can do a bit of everything and is not "that special UBA Guy" (uba as Interceptor= Speedy Melee Tard, Colossus=Dat Tank Swine, Storm=Elemental Beast)
    So imagine someone likes "not to be so special", can you? ;) :D
    That's ppl like me enjoying the Ranger!
    KrigglesHatefullKalafax
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Isn't everyone going to play all 4 classes?
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    cmacq said:
    Isn't everyone going to play all 4 classes?
    Unlock? yes
    Play? no
    HatefullShadowStyleBSamhael
  • Portal154Portal154 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I'm definitely going to play all 4. So far I've tried the Ranger and Interceptor (during the demo) and then the Colossus in the live game. I LOVE the colossus. Once you learn how to use your abilities, you become a terror to trash mobs. I can clear out as many enemies as you can throw at me, in seconds and I can stand toe to toe with (tank) tougher mobs without a problem. After reading this article, I'm keen to try that setup for the ranger, and I've seen great ideas for the interceptor as well. Anthem has a huge range of playstyles available, which I like. I'm going to try all 4 and spend the time to get to know their pros and cons before I settle on a single favorite.
    Hatefull
  • KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

mallettjt said:

Love the fact this was ignored.
    misrossk
  • KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Aeander said:

koldmiser said:

Aeander said:

MikeB said:

Aeander said:

Step 1 - Play a Storm.

Nah.

Yes capes. In fact, we should get a second cape, so our cape can have a cape.

LOL, MOAR DOTS....CAPES
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

mallettjt said:

What? A game that has been out for well over a year and has had multiple DLC has more content? YOU DON'T SAY
    AeanderMadFrenchieMrMelGibsonBlacklabelcali
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    edited March 2019

Aeander said:

MikeB said:

Aeander said:

Step 1 - Play a Storm.

Nah.

So? I walk around with a Tesla coil on my back and a freaking ACID SPRAYER strapped to my forearm. Plus a giant shield I can use to bash people in the face, or charge and knock 'em down like bowling pins. I also don't die in two hits from a .22. Scoff, I say! Scoff!

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

edited March 2019

Aeander said:

MikeB said:

Aeander said:

Step 1 - Play a Storm.

Nah.

So? I walk around with a Tesla coil on my back and a freaking ACID SPRAYER strapped to my forearm. Plus a giant shield I can use to bash people in the face, or charge and knock 'em down like bowling pins. I also don't die in two hits from a .22. Scoff, I say! Scoff!
    You also happen to look like a walking trash bin. A trash bin without a cape, I might add.
    PhryMrMelGibson
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    Yeah, the capes are key. Give a ranger a cape and I might consider playing one.

As to the question on playing all four classes... nope! I tried out the Interceptor during one of the demo weekends and discovered how much I absolutely suck at playing it. It can definitely turn the tide of battle in the right hands -- those hands aren't mine though. I found the ranger merely "meh" and enjoy the Storm with the Colossus in second place. But I'd definitely put some time into the ranger before even thinking about trying the interceptor again.
    But in seriousness, I will be playing all four classes, at different interest levels. That's content on the table for me to experience.

My interest level is Storm > Interceptor > Ranger > Colossus.
    MrMelGibson
  • Um4dBruhUm4dBruh Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 6
    "the Ranger is an AOE powerhouse"

The ranger is not the aoe powerhouse. You clearly do not know anything about this game. 
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    edited March 2019
    Ranger is just not very good. He's serviceable, but brings nothing interesting to the table other than maybe tip of the spear in a HIGHLY coordinated group on discord. He's outshined in AoE, ST, Tankiness, Mobility and even surprisingly enough, gunplay by the other javelins. Ranger could safely be deleted from the game and nobody would really notice. Thanks for posting your build though, but I'd rather just play a storm or colossus if I want to clear the screen every 2 seconds with ease.
  • SKurjSKurj Member UncommonPosts: 155
    I like the ranger, granted I may not be very good... I know I depend on the guns more than I should. I have been ignoring blast and focusing on combos, perhaps its time I gave this suggestion a try.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    I just hit someting like 406 on my Ranger, and every single group I play with in either missions or strongholds is full of Colossus, Storm, Intercepter...

And I get far more badges with very few, if any deaths every single time. You just have to play to the Ranger's strengths - which is that you're good at everything. Plenty mobile, plenty of firepower, plenty of defense. 

Gotta stack that weapon damage! I think Ranger is more gear dependent than the other Javelins. Once I got a Masterwork shotgun with a stacking damage bonus, combined with other methods to stack additional damage bonus... I just wreck.

I've got an Autocannon on my Colossus that is similar (Fist of Vol or something) but the Ranger is just so much faster/more fun to play. 

I played Colossus for like 90% of my journey to level 30 and beyond, but now am all in on Ranger baby. 

I do use the Blast abilities, but mostly just to pick off primed enemies and/or as additional damage/filler while I'm moving into Shotgun range.