Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get Ready for World of Warcraft Classic by Reconnecting with Old Pals Through VanillaFriends

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageGet Ready for World of Warcraft Classic by Reconnecting with Old Pals Through VanillaFriends

A new site has cropped up to help World of Warcraft players reconnect with old friends from "back in the day". After all, Classic is coming up in summer 2019, so it's a great time to round up the crew again. Thanks to VanillaFriends, it's all possible. Players enter a variety of tidbits of information about their past adventures in WoW in order to be added to a list that others can search through to find buddies from days of yore.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OxspyttaOxspytta Member UncommonPosts: 20
    "Classic is coming up in June" Do you know something the rest of us don't? :)
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Nice idea. That's one of the things about online gaming. A friend leaves the game and you may never see them again or be able to reach them. So this helps.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Oxspytta said:
    "Classic is coming up in June" Do you know something the rest of us don't? :)
    Eh, summer. I'll amend. Close though. :D
    [Deleted User]XarkoGaladourn

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    edited February 2019
    Character name mandatory?

I don't reveal my name until it's created. Period.

Ah wellz. I guess it's the wonderful world of Reddit, seeing how Blizzard purged my forum characters so I can't post on official Classic boards. ;(

You stay sassy!

• wyldcardwyldcard Member UncommonPosts: 3

Tamanous said:

I think the site is for people who played back then to connect with old friends rather than what names you are going to use for Classic.

Sovrath
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    wyldcard said:

Tamanous said:

I think the site is for people who played back then to connect with old friends rather than what names you are going to use for Classic.

Ah yes, perhaps the main point. I imagine many will want their original names back too. They better log in and make a character asap when the servers open if advertising it so much. Just to limit the possibility of it being taken.

The amount of players who log into multiple servers (even the ones they don't play on) in order to secure names is crazy.
    Palebane

You stay sassy!

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Tamanous said:
    wyldcard said:

Tamanous said:

Ah yes, perhaps the main point. I imagine many will want their original names back too. They better log in and make a character asap when the servers open if advertising it so much. Just to limit the possibility of it being taken.

The amount of players who log into multiple servers (even the ones they don't play on) in order to secure names is crazy.
    That has an easy fix. Blizzard could limit players to only 8 characters per account for the first week. (you'll still need an active subscription for each account)

I still have my notes from back then, (i was the DKP-officer) I will check for sure to see who's returning.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Met alot of great people during my early WoW days, I often wonder what happened to them. (Many) Years ago, I had a meet up with my guild master in Altantic City. That was cool.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

g0dl355 said:

How vanilla we talking? If its before Horde got stuck with metro elves and alliance suddenly learned shamanism, before npc guards made yellow zone towns worthless? If so I'm all in.

Original pre-TBC. Specifically at patch 1.12. I’m excited.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • GoldenTenacityGoldenTenacity Member UncommonPosts: 19
    This is just par for the course of the "Refriender System" that Yoshi-P implemented for Final Fantasy XI a while ago (and likely something he got from somewhere else, though after looking I can't find evidence), ever since he was promoted to the head of the entire MMO division and worked on FFXI Seekers of Adoulin and was one of the heads of Rhapsodies of Vana'diel (FFXI) / Rhapsodies of the Maiden (FFXIV), the FFXI remake and FFXIV.

FFXI Rhapsodies of Vana'diel ending credits

In Legion they tried a lot of ideas they may have from Square Enix or elsewhere, such as the crafting / classes having full-fledged storylines. They did so again with BFA -- though they both were half baked and implemented too early.  One example of the latter are the combat changes made in BFA.  To a lesser extent one could also claim that them implementing debuffs in dungeons to be a similar story, as it is seen in PotD's upper levels of difficulty; though they properly "WoWified" this by taking a pre-existing Challenge Mode template and made them into "Mythic" with different levels of difficulty.

Though Blizzard was once widely known as taking ideas from other places and bringing them to a level of polish that it mainstreams such ideas throughout its history.  With WoW, they just need to trust in their own ability, bring back some old talent, and keep WoW... WoW and not try to mimic other things.

One more thing that WoW players may look forward to is the equivalent of UwU or Ultimate Weapon's Refrain and similar fights where you fight several raid bosses at once.  In the past a WoW dev commented on twitter about how "interesting" the fights were.  Though the exact developer eludes my memory as it was just a passing read-about at the time.  Then again, with how they are meant to cut costs nowadays, they may forego this as something that requires too much effort.  Similar to how they just increase numbers with Heroic Dungeons versus FFXIV creating new story, paths, bosses, music, etc. for their equivalent.

To be fair, WoW basically mainstreamed or may even be considered to be the "father" of Themepark MMOs.  They were leaders in the genre.  Most likely still are when it comes to revenue.  Though over the last couple of years they went from Industry leaders in innovation to Industry Followers with most of their games and financial acquisition attempts.  As opposed to just trusting in their own ability, they now just look to other games that have been having steady year-over-year growth in population and sales such as ESO and especially FFXIV as it prepares yet again to increase its data centers and add a couple of new servers in EU... after already buying and upgrading said servers and adding substantially more space for continued growth with the last expansion.

FFXIV Fan Festival 2018/2019 in NA and Paris.

BlueThunderBear
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    /yawn
    Going back in my cave. No one will ever find me.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Been there, done that, aint doin it again.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    It's gonna be the 5th time I level the same character in Vanilla to 60, but this time will be THE ONE!
    ManWithNoTan
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    @TheCredibleHulk You realize this is a fan project, not an official Blizzard, or even Blizzard-sanctioned, site, right?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Very cool idea to do this. Should help connect people .Had a lot of fun playing in 05-07
  • qtaqqtaq Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Screw Vanilla WOW and anything and everything WOW , done played vanilla WOW don't want to do it again, Blizzard can implode period and not soon enough.
    MrMelGibson