Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hobbies: Non Tech Related?

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
Do you spend your down time with hobbies not related to technology?

We all play games. That's why we're here, right? We like our phones and televisions. I'm wondering what hobbies you may have that you could do with minimal technology being mainly involved. Some technology could work, like for model railroading, building things, or working on a car where electricity is needed.

Things like hiking or biking, woodcraft, knitting or crochet, drawing (could use computers, I guess), star gazing, gardening, physical fitness, reading, what have you.

The reason this popped into my head is that I'm a fan of the TV show NCIS. For those don't watch it, it follows a team of Naval Criminal Investigators as they solve crimes within the Navy. This team is led by Jethro Gibbs (Mark Harmon) who is an older guy who dislikes technology. He builds boats in his off time. He enjoys camping and living rustically. I just got to wondering how intrusive technology is today, as I admire this guy :)

There's also a "want to" factor. I "want to" set up and layout a model railroad. I "want to" work with wood for furniture and nicknacks. I am just currently unable to pursue these hobbies at the moment.

So, what are some of your hobbies you can (or want to) do with limited technology?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Amathe

Comments

• JayburnerJayburner Member CommonPosts: 2
    I like to grow plants when I'm not busy working. 
    AlBQuirky
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Sleeping. Snacking. Watching tv. Messing around on the internet. 

I know that growing bonsai trees, smoking weed and doing yoga was probably the correct answer, but I'm not that cool.
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Reading is a big hobby of mine, i am also 100,000 words in on my novel, but im too weak to work on it much. Too much brain power.
    AlBQuirky
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Amathe said:
    Sleeping. Snacking. Watching tv. Messing around on the internet. 

I know that growing bonsai trees, smoking weed and doing yoga was probably the correct answer, but I'm not that cool.
    No "correct answers." Not really where I was going. Just curious is all ;)

I was thinking along the lines of woodworking, auto-repair/restoration, tabletop gaming, those kinds of things. Like you, I'm not "cool enough" for drug usage or yoga :D

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Reading is a big hobby of mine, i am also 100,000 words in on my novel, but im too weak to work on it much. Too much brain power.
    I enjoy reading, too. With all my free time, I wish I could get into writing. My mind just does not organize itself for a long enough period to get that going ;)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• Lisajohny543Lisajohny543 Member CommonPosts: 7
    Yeah I do cooking in a leisure time.
    AlBQuirky
    AlBQuirky said:

The reason this popped into my head is that I'm a fan of the TV show NCIS. 
    I watch that too. It's very formulaic, but with a wink and a nod because that is part of the fun. 
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• lawz123lawz123 Member CommonPosts: 5
    Other than playing videogames and wasting time on my phone, I play my acoustic guitar from time to time.
    AlBQuirky
    Oh, and I read. I'm in the middle of a book now that i will disclose later once nobody can spoil it for me.  >:)
    AlBQuirky

• Hikikomorigamer2007Hikikomorigamer2007 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I sleep all the time.
    AlBQuirky
  • garen123garen123 Member CommonPosts: 1
    I can chat at the sametime
    AlBQuirky
    Amathe said:
    Oh, and I read. I'm in the middle of a book now that i will disclose later once nobody can spoil it for me.  >:)
    And the BIG REVEAL, as I know many of you lost sleep over this.

A Map of Days, by Ransom Riggs,  the fourth book in the series of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

Woot?
    AlBQuirky

• Gabriel679Gabriel679 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 15
    oh, that's hard to name one. maybe reading books, it's no tech reated right?

AlBQuirky
    oh, that's hard to name one. maybe reading books, it's no tech reated right?

I could get picky and say a book made of paper is not, but using an eReader would be. But I'm not picky :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• urfismylifeurfismylife Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 9
    i think sightseeing and reading are ones of the rare hobbies that dont relate to tech. technology is all around us today
    AlBQuirky
  • karlasillekarlasille Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    Drawing and some sports are also do not relate to tech though.
    AlBQuirky
    Cleaner team on apknite Horrorfield Multiplayer Survival B) 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2019
    Same hobbies i had long before gaming,i play sports,watch sports,watch movies,watch MMA/UFC,i love comedy,love reading watching documentaries on all sorts of things from space/science to discoveries,ancient times etc etc.
    AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AestheticismsAestheticisms Newbie CommonPosts: 4
    English literature
    AlBQuirky
  • Nelson-zbitNelson-zbit Newbie CommonPosts: 26
    Cooking, fishing, investigating species around my place.
    AlBQuirky
  • PikapikapPikapikap Newbie CommonPosts: 7
    Nowadays I can afford only reading because I'm planning to open my own hair salon and trying to save money to buy some of these tools. I also used to play basketball and football a lot in college.
  • jackcorleonejackcorleone Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    I have no hobbies instead of playing games. All my free time I spend on work and only sometimes I play games. But I have the special desired. I like to play retro games and test different emulators. For now, I am playing all Nintendo Wii games https://killerroms.com/roms/nintendo-wii
  • ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
    fishing and reading

AlBQuirky
  • Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Puzzles!
    AlBQuirky
  • JensynJensyn Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I actually really love woodburning and diy in general. Pinterest and Youtube are great for finding inspiration when it comes to picking up a new hobby. Most of my random crafty skills started out as a neat project I saw on Pinterest. I just got really inspired by it and was determined to see it through. :smile:
    AlBQuirky
    Bookmarks are for quitters. 
  • EmmalinkEmmalink Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    As you said with minimum technology, I choose darts :)
    The paly is very simple, but excites everybody.
    If you also want to have some fun, I advice you to check the article about different models on jonsguide. 
    AlBQuirky