Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who has played a particular mmorpg for more than 10 years?

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
My longest stint in one game was WoW (about 4 years, but not sequential).

I have always wanted to be someone who plays the same game for a decade or more, and admired people who do.

So come take a bow?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited February 2019
    The only MMORPG I have possibly played for over 10 years is Wow and that is collectively. Certain not 10 years straight.

The VAST majority of my Wow experience is Vanilla and TBC with heavy emphasis on Vanilla because of private servers too.

I am REALLY tempted by the news of an AO fresh server, so I hope to add time to that game soon as well. Likely official Classic will again add to my Wow total.
    Amathe

You stay sassy!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited February 2019
    Well, I've played Lord of the Rings Online since one of the earlier closed betas.

I have taken breaks though I can't see that info other than I signed up in 2007. Currently subscribed now.

Scorchien[Deleted User]Amathe
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     UO 21 years now, and going strong
    SovrathPhaserlighttweedledumb99CryomatrixGreatness[Deleted User]laseritAmaranthar[Deleted User]squibbly
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Aye, Vendetta Online, 15 years matey.
    ScorchienGreatness[Deleted User]laseritAmarantharAmathe

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Ffxi = 16 years Ffxiv = 9 years
    tweedledumb99[Deleted User]laseritrojoArcueidAmarantharAlbatroes[Deleted User]Amathe
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited February 2019
    I have played LOTRO off and on since beta.  I have a friend who plays UO every Christmas with a friend. . .they sub for 1 month a year.  For me LOTRO is probably a total of 3 years of subscriptions though.  Three months every year for 10 years maybe :)
    [Deleted User]laseritAmathe

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    WoW, most of 10+ years. Taken a 11 month break recently.
    [Deleted User]laseritAmarantharAmathe
  • tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    DAoC on and off since dec 2001, active only 1/5 of that time.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]laseritAmarantharAmathe
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Like most, none with any regularity. EQ (or P99) I still go back to off and on since 2001. WoW sees me longing in now an then since 2005-ish. Wizard101 has probably seen my most consistent visitation since 2009.

When I first played these MMOs, I was there everyday for 2 to 4 years straight. Things happened and I stopped logging in every day. Usually those things were "player related", like guilds breaking apart or in-game friends moving on. Rarely has it been due to a specific update, though WoW's Cataclysm did break apart the guild I was in, which inevitably lead to me leaving, too.

The good and bad thing about MMOs is that they change. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. The games I still visit on occasion have changed so much, they barely resemble the MMOs I enjoyed "back in the day."  :smiley:

PS: Cool question, by the way :) I feel bad I couldn't include City of Heroes, which saw the majority of my MMO time, but it was dead before it's 10th birthday. Only eight years old...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    i've been an Entropia player since 2009 I think. But i've taken many breaks, my cumulative time is probably 1.5 years or so or even less. 

Overall, I'm the anti-10 year player. I burn through games and then that's it, onto another game to burn. I'm way too ADD to stick to one game for too long. Path of Exile i've been burning through for the past 1.5 years based on the league cycles i believe. so i play for about 4-6 weeks every 3 months or so. 

I did play D2 or its mods from 2000 to probably 2010 on and off though. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited February 2019
    I have over 10 years of subscription time on EVE, and if you factor in my two to six accounts it probably counts for over 30 plus years maybe.  ;)

If we count up all my time in DAOC between original live /classic live servers plus my time on two freeshards it probably comes close to 10 years,  but on and off at times.

Oh yeah, back on the live servers across 4.5 yrs I had between 3 to 5 paid subs rolling, so probably pads my numbers up. Freeshards dont permit multiple accounts. 

H0urg1ass[Deleted User]laseritAlBQuirkyAmathe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well me of course.FFXI being the obvious but i also put in off/on to EQ2 over the duration until just last year when i stopped playing.
    How many real mmorpgs are there and how many been around 10 years?IMO you are only a MMO if your design SUPPORTS the MMO theme,if not ,then you might be a hub/co-op/single player but you are not a MMO.

I have gamed since we used sticks on a screen,had to format our own hard drives and sound cards,graphic cards etc etc.I have seen gaming evolve from nothing but pixels into amazing animation but one thing i have not seen as of yet...a COMPLETE mmorpg.I mean bare bones complete without bells and whistles.
    As i write this,survival games are more mmorpg's than mmorpgs are and that is sad.

Sovrath[Deleted User]DeadSpockAmathe

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I've played a lot of MMO's from beta to current but not for once a week.  Most I rotate through or play everyday when new content comes out until I'm done with it.  I don't really keep track.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    I have been playing LOTRO since before beta well actually the last alpha. I do take months off at times. I do have a lifetime account.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]laseritAmathe
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Wizardry said:

As i write this,survival games are more mmorpg's than mmorpgs are and that is sad.

I wouldn't say it was sad but I do agree, they feel more like what I thougth mmorpg's would be.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]laseritAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Most of my MMORPG die young before 10 years old cause some retard's greed .
    [Deleted User]
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    EVE Online since 2005

Age of Conan since 2008

Short to Long breaks here and there, but they're both always installed permanently and I always find some reason to play them for at least a day or two a month even when I'm playing something else.

Also, I would still be playing Planetside 1 and SWG if they hadn't both been unceremoniously shat upon by SOE.
    [Deleted User]laseritAmarantharAmathe
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited March 2019
    EQ2 for 10 years straight

I was just thinking of firing that up and playin a noob , always fun times
  • Saur0n69Saur0n69 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Lotro, UO, SWG, WAR, DCUO
    laseritAmaranthar[Deleted User]Amathe
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Played UO for 12 years.

[Deleted User]Amathe

Once upon a time....

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2019
    Played FFXI 8-9 straight then only did the free log ins once the game went into 'maintenance mode' so dunno if that counts. WoW on and off for 8 years now that I think about it.
    DeadSpock[Deleted User]Amathe
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Not continously, but in total I might reach 10 years of Everquest. Across many servers, from live to emulators and progression servers, I have at least 1500+ days /played (note that you don't get logged outof eq when you afk, so something like 20-40% is probably afk/inactivity).
    [Deleted User]Amathe
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    LotRO.  Hated it at launch, loved it after Moria, hated it after Isengard, and after many ons and offs like that, I still find myself fond of it.  Probably closer to 8 years in total, and counting.

Nothing else has come close.  SWG may have if they stopped with the CU and knocked it off with the jedi.  But even so, it had more issues than Newsweek.
    [Deleted User]Amathe