Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character building games

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
I am looking for a new game with deep character building, or building a team.

I have played all of the ones from Bioware.  I have Lords of Xuilma, Shadowrun games, Divinity games, Spiderweb games, Blackguards, Deus Ex games,  Vampire: the Masquerade, Kingdom of Amalur, Bethesda games wasteland, Icewingdale, Baldur's gate.

I have played pretty much all of the big ones.  I also have played a lot of the smaller ones like Knights of PnP.   The list is to long to list. 

Any ideas for ones that I may have missed?  I have been playing more PVP games and shooters lately and I really want to dig into a deep character building system.  I would actually like a game that is less old school in game play, but old school in the options to build the character. 

I think I am kind of burn out on the "retro" graphics.

Any ideas what may be out there?

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Well, Kenshi was recently featured on this site.  It's a quirky, open-world game where you can build up your own squad(or army)/cities, etc.  You can see the description, etc., in the link:

Sovrathalkarionlog
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    How deep you want to go?

I would suggest Dungeons and Dragons Online as the most complex character builder you will ever deal with. But it's kinda old school
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Did you play the X-Com games?
    Sovrath
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited February 2019
    Grim Dawn and Path of Exile both have very excellent depth and variety in character building; Elder Scrolls Online as well. Team building I would suggest Pillars of Eternity, Mass Effect, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic or Dragon Age: Origins.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Did you play the X-Com games?
    On that note, there's an X-Com clone called Xenonauts, as well.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    I have played xcom

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Mount and Blade Warbands

~I am Many~

Sevala said:
    Mount and Blade Warbands
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that one too.

--John Ruskin

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    MMOman101 said:
    I am looking for a new game with deep character building, or building a team.

I have played all of the ones from Bioware.  I have Lords of Xuilma, Shadowrun games, Divinity games, Spiderweb games, Blackguards, Deus Ex games,  Vampire: the Masquerade, Kingdom of Amalur, Bethesda games wasteland, Icewingdale, Baldur's gate.

I have played pretty much all of the big ones.  I also have played a lot of the smaller ones like Knights of PnP.   The list is to long to list. 

Any ideas for ones that I may have missed?  I have been playing more PVP games and shooters lately and I really want to dig into a deep character building system.  I would actually like a game that is less old school in game play, but old school in the options to build the character. 

I think I am kind of burn out on the "retro" graphics.

Any ideas what may be out there?

Dark Souls 3.

Most approachable in the series, and the best IMO. Great character building. Very complex and deep. Requires you to "get good" but honestly it's not THAT hard. You just have to approach it slowly/tactically. 

It's also beautiful and the music is 13/10.
    Sovrath
    I see a lot of good responses, I should have stated in the op, I am burnt out on the isometric and drab colors of many of these types of games.  

It it would be great to get a 25-30 hour rpg with good story, 3D graphics, deep character building a splash of color.  I know BioWare is not the same studio they used to be and it seems no one really took their place. Jade empire, was also such a good game.  

I am not trying to be picky, it is just so many of the games seem so similar.  Replacing strong story and interactions with difficulty; hoping that is enough to keep people engaged.  

I am am burnt out on that model.  Divinity Original sin 2 was an idea, but I didn’t want to slog through 80+ hours of mediocre story.  I just don’t have the patience for it anymore and I don’t care about beating a game once I lose interest in what is happening.  

--John Ruskin

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited February 2019
    I know you are asking for character building games, but from the post above it kinda sounds like you might be burnt out on those. What about a nice racing or sports game? You can build careers in those. I really like Grid 2, Burnout Paradise, and even GTA5, but also play Madden 17 if my RPGs get stale. Go Raiders!

Have you tried Bastion, Torchlight, or Borderlands? 

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    A couple of new releases last year are Bard's Tale IV and Pathfinder: Kingdoms. Both released as quite buggy, but there have been patches and may be "more playable" now :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Palebane said:
    I know you are asking for character building games, but from the post above it kinda sounds like you might be burnt out on those. What about a nice racing or sports game? You can build careers in those. I really like Grid 2, Burnout Paradise, and even GTA5, but also play Madden 17 if my RPGs get stale. Go Raiders!

Have you tried Bastion, Torchlight, or Borderlands? 
    I don't understand this.  When did character building get synonymous with limited story, isometric graphics, and drab colors? 

I am just burnt out on the half ass games that thing character building is all you need to make a game.  Story, graphics, sound are still important. 

I have played those 3 games. 

--John Ruskin

AlBQuirky said:
    A couple of new releases last year are Bard's Tale IV and Pathfinder: Kingdoms. Both released as quite buggy, but there have been patches and may be "more playable" now :)
    I have not played Bard's Tale IV, I will look into that one. 

--John Ruskin

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Just finished Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Not sure it is a lot of "character building" but there is a lot of character to the game itself. 

Let's party like it is 1863!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Elder scrolls my friend
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SamsonDoctorleSamsonDoctorle Newbie CommonPosts: 2

Hi everybody!

Begin your rise to power now→ https://www.roamingames.com/lp/gogpl/lp.php?id=3

Check the video  

Join our discord server to chat and get free presents https://discord.gg/yu6pwdr

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    heh... I just had fun reading the title and thought: Play old arcade games. They build a lot of "character" for the players :)

I'll just "exit stage left", now :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR