Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Game Director Reassures the Community About ANet's Commitment - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageGuild Wars 2 Game Director Reassures the Community About ANet's Commitment - MMORPG.com

ArenaNet's Mike Zadorojny has taken to the Guild Wars 2 forums to reassure the community about the company's long term commitment to the game. Players have been concerned since ArenaNet underwent a restructuring initiative that led to the layoff of a significant number of employees. "The Guild Wars 2 team is still committed to bringing content and feature updates to the game." MikeZ wrote. "Our long-term plans for the game...are still in the works."

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited February 2019

All is well.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Seelinnikoi

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DeathleecherDeathleecher Member UncommonPosts: 89
    GG. Delays on releases are never good .P
    Jilyna
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    We've seen these same proclamations so many times they may as well just cut and paste them. 

Nobody ever really knows how committed they are until the updates and new games arrive.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    Heres the last part of the statement provided when Carbine Studios had a big lay off:

"As for WildStar, we remain committed to the game. Over the next few weeks and months we will deliver a significant update to the game, kick off a variety of community events, and continue our work on new content that we will talk more about in the near future."

Sound familiar?

[Deleted User][Deleted User]ThaharAlomarbcbullySeelinnikoiAsch126MensurTacticalZombeh
  • yamibladeyamiblade Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Yesssssss. Soon Arenanet will know how Paragon and Carbine felt...
    sgelmomintimCombspegastovski1[Deleted User]SeelinnikoiJilynaTacticalZombeh
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    yamiblade said:
    Guild Wars 2 is a great MMO. Why would you actively wish a studio closure on ANet? Geez.
    momintimbcbullyRain_DeathravenJilynaTacticalZombehMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    yamiblade said:
    I don't get it.. you're glad that a gaming company is going through a rough patch?
    Why?
    SBFordRain_DeathravenJilynaTacticalZombehMrMelGibson

..Cake..

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2019

SBFord said:

yamiblade said:

Guild Wars 2 is a great MMO. Why would you actively wish a studio closure on ANet? Geez.

I don't think people wish the studio to close as much as they wish GW2 was just GW1 with better graphics. Or at least I'm in the camp. The story is fine in GW2 but everything else feels meh to me. Lacks the same kind of depth GW1 had.
    AlomarGdemamiaustinmaw
  • mallettjtmallettjt Member UncommonPosts: 102

Albatroes said:

SBFord said:

yamiblade said:

I don't think people wish the studio to close as much as they wish GW2 was just GW1 with better graphics. Or at least I'm in the camp. The story is fine in GW2 but everything else feels meh to me. Lacks the same kind of depth GW1 had.

Gw2 just needs to die at this point. It's a casual mess with an end game grind that would make a classic wow player blush.
    SBFordUngood[Deleted User]GdemamibcbullySeelinnikoiJilyna
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

mallettjt said:

Albatroes said:

SBFord said:

yamiblade said:

Gw2 just needs to die at this point. It's a casual mess with an end game grind that would make a classic wow player blush.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it should shut down. Plenty of people still like the game.
    SBFordJilynaMrMelGibson
  • momintimmomintim Member UncommonPosts: 108

Albatroes said:

SBFord said:

yamiblade said:

The game is 6-7 years old why are people still wishing a GW2 is like GW1. If was going to happen it would've that needs to be let go and move on.
    SBFordUngoodaustinmawJilyna
    DMKano said:
    Anyone with half a brain cell should know to completely ignore anything that is supposed to appease the community coming from a game company that just had mass layoffs. 

No things are not well and yes we all know it.

Businesses and their PR are so cringey 
    Well they still have 300+ employees and they canned some of the extra projects they had going on.
    I expect they'll continue supporting GW2 considering it's still making money.

Hoping they're working on a GW3 that's more like GW1... doesn't mean GW2 isn't a good game though. 
    Certainly one of the best and most popular mmos today.
    SBFord

..Cake..

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    mallettjt said:

Albatroes said:

SBFord said:

yamiblade said:

It is a mess, and it's a mess because they tried to placate some marginal ungrateful hardcore demographic at the expense of their moderate and casual population. Many told them that this would not end well, but they would not listen. Reap what you sow, now they are just another cautionary tale.

While I feel bad for those that got laid off, what did they think was going to be the end result of building a whole expansion that catered to just 10% of their player base. 

They had a nice little spot as a engaging casual game, with a focus on fun, and really should have kept that direction, and let the Try-Hards, Wanna-Be's and Hardcores go off to Wildstar or some other game they would not support. Instead they put in raids and kept trying to make their content harder and harder, alienating a huge segment of their population.

And while the market right now is way too saturated to be forgiving of huge mistakes, I wish them well and hope they find their vibe and are in fact able to recover from this.
    Alomardanyp1
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    LOL, commitment ? after such result what you had to say IS, we'll change and try to improve

These people will never understand, this is sad
  • gremjs03gremjs03 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    edited February 2019
    Its good to see they are forgoing their extra projects that took away from GW2. Now they can get back on track and deliver living world episodes at a better pace. For a good while it was 2-3 months per episode then it slowed down to 3-4 months. One of their own employees that was let go recently even said they were not as focused as they should have been but he thinks they will endure and the game will be better for it. If anything good comes from this they will have more people committed to guild wars 2 now.
    SBFordbcbully
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I hope ANET buys themselves and the ip out of ncsoft before GW3 planning starts.
    SBFordbcbully

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

momintim said:

Albatroes said:

SBFord said:

yamiblade said:

The game is 6-7 years old why are people still wishing a GW2 is like GW1. If was going to happen it would've that needs to be let go and move on.

I guess like those people QQ'ing for vanilla servers should've gave up after saying they wanted it for 5+ years right...? Companies will try anything when they are put in a tight spot. You see that even more now. It wouldn't surprised me at this point if Anet tried to do a BR standalone using WvW map at its foundation to get all the scraps they can at this point.
    AlomarGdemamibcbully
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    I hope ANET buys themselves and the ip out of ncsoft before GW3 planning starts.
    They would have to partner with a new publisher though, and likely reign in the sequel game from a full MMO to a more console-friendly MMO-lite genre (like a looter). And I doubt it would be called Guild Wars 3 at that point due to numbered sequels being a bad idea for a new audience/publisher. More likely, such a theoretical project would simply be a Guild Wars reboot.
  • CombspeCombspe Member UncommonPosts: 140

sgel said:

yamiblade said:

I don't get it.. you're glad that a gaming company is going through a rough patch?
    Why?

Because he/she is a total asshat.
    AeanderSBFordJilynaTacticalZombehMrMelGibson
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited February 2019
    I'm not concerned. Anet grew when the game was at it's highest point, now it has to downsize because no game stays 'as' popular forever. It sounds like the unannounced projects got hit the hardest anyway, not GW2.

"We’re welcoming back some familiar faces to the Guild Wars 2 team that had been working on unannounced projects."

That suggests the unannounced projects were not related to GW2.
    SBFordJilyna
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    DMKano said:
    sgel said:
    DMKano said:
    Anyone with half a brain cell should know to completely ignore anything that is supposed to appease the community coming from a game company that just had mass layoffs. 

Well they still have 300+ employees and they canned some of the extra projects they had going on.

Hoping they're working on a GW3 that's more like GW1... doesn't mean GW2 isn't a good game though. 

They are below 300 employees - but that's not important as you said they scrapped some internal projects. 

300 employees is important if most of them are on GW2.. it means they'll be supporting the game more than they have in the last years.

GW2 is making money - but it wasn't making enough to pay the bills. Yes of course they will keep supporting GW2 but in a scaled back fashion, because again they are now running on a much tighter budget with less people and as we all know after a mass layoff, the morale is shit and more employees will leave as soon as they find work. And who leaves first- yep the best talent jumps ship when companies struggle.

I guess the laying off people means their budget will be better?
    Doesn't GW2 make something like 70+ million a year?
    Not too shabby for a 7year old game.

We already know a lot of the people who are leaving... a lot of talented people left and a lot have stayed.

Finally GW2 being one of the best mmos is highly subjective, I would say it hasn't been one of the most popular in years, so I disagree there.

Of course it's one of the most popular MMOs... I'm not sure how you think that's not the case.

Reality is GW2 has been declining for a while and will continue to do so.

All games decline after a while.

..Cake..

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I'm a bit confused on this part.. With the unannounced projects would that be from ANet or NCSoft? They are owned by NCSoft I think?
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited February 2019
    sgel said:
    DMKano said:
    sgel said:
    DMKano said:

They are below 300 employees - but that's not important as you said they scrapped some internal projects. 

300 employees is important if most of them are on GW2.. it means they'll be supporting the game more than they have in the last years.

GW2 is making money - but it wasn't making enough to pay the bills. Yes of course they will keep supporting GW2 but in a scaled back fashion, because again they are now running on a much tighter budget with less people and as we all know after a mass layoff, the morale is shit and more employees will leave as soon as they find work. And who leaves first- yep the best talent jumps ship when companies struggle.

I guess the laying off people means their budget will be better?
    Doesn't GW2 make something like 70+ million a year?
    Not too shabby for a 7year old game.

We already know a lot of the people who are leaving... a lot of talented people left and a lot have stayed.

Finally GW2 being one of the best mmos is highly subjective, I would say it hasn't been one of the most popular in years, so I disagree there.

Of course it's one of the most popular MMOs... I'm not sure how you think that's not the case.

Reality is GW2 has been declining for a while and will continue to do so.

All games decline after a while.

GW2 made 14 million dollars last qtr ... (corrected)

The game is struggling to keep its head above water , GW2 needs to do something big this year , but with nothing big on the horizon and now less staff , its quite the task .. Maybe offer F2P with all previous content and expand cosmetic shop may give a good influx to buy some time as they develop....

But if the come up less than Aion at this time next year it could be trouble for them ,,,
    Post edited by Scorchien on
    Scorchien said:

GW2 made 14 million dollars last year ... not 70

I remember seeing an infographic showing 70+ million in sales?
    I could be wrong.

Kind of pointless though when we don't know what the costs are.

..Cake..

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    sgel said:
    Scorchien said:

GW2 made 14 million dollars last year ... not 70

I remember seeing an infographic showing 70+ million in sales?
    I could be wrong.

Kind of pointless though when we don't know what the costs are.
    They made 15,699,000,000 KRW which = 14 million US $ ..

Not good enough and why NCsoft pushed the cutbacks ..