Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Long Awaited CoE Announcement Finally Made!

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
No, not an updated release date.  
No, not an updated Exposition (3 month no wipe head start) update
No, not an updated Beta date
No, not a Kingdoms of Elyria date
No, not a Prologue date
No, not an updated Alpha date.
No, not an announcement that players were admitted to the PreElyria pre-alpha
No, not even the long-awaited State of Elyria/Release 0.5.0 update which Caspien is trying to find time to post.

But.. finally...

You can now spend $10 to change your surname!

"Heavily requested by our community, we've deployed this new feature that is now available to anyone who has already reserved a surname."

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

CaffynatedKyleran[Deleted User]KumaponShaighAlmostLancelotAnOldFart[Deleted User]bartoni33Tokkenand 5 others.

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Well I'm glad the community has its priorities all straightened out..... 

But seriously, It's hard not to poke fun but I do hope they can pull this game off.
    bartoni33
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    What is that two lines of code?I hope they take a well deserved break after this deployment.

I know a lot of people feel this is one big joke but in seriousness,how do we know?Is it not possible that he really wants a quality game and has been struggling financially so is doing what anyone would do to try and save it?

Look what Semdley was doing near the end,how about Trion,ow about Lord british's game?
    How about Star Citizen?If COE had as many whales as SC,he could hire 200 people and make 3 games.Ok another...Pantheon,that is also a crowd funded game,see the trend here,the industry is in a mess ,a horrible mess,nobody is putting up their own money and when not taking ours,they leech off some publisher but never risking their own money.

Even if a game fails,they got to pay some wages,give the big shots some nice salaries,no wonder the quality games have sunk down so low,they are doing fine by delivering games that are no so fine.
    Mendel

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Arterius said:
    HAHA for a second I was saddend because that would mean the other thread that I was enjoying was made obsolete. However, I just laughed harder than I have in a long time. I feel sorry for anyone that put money towards this game.
    Well... if you were willing to pay the $25 to pick your surname in the first place I guess another $10 to change it isn’t so bad.   Right?  ;)

Hard to think that some people have paid not once, but TWICE to simply have a last name in a game that they haven’t even played yet and may not for many years.  
    AnOldFartMendel[Deleted User]

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    And the cult that is the COE fanbase heralds it in like this is the greatest thing since the invention of fire.  We at least they have development priorities in order.
    I noticed that and just shook my head... 
    I was so blind to the total white knighting
    Slapshot1188Gdemami
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Is anyone really surprised that the 'big announcement' was simply another thing they could sell?  Not to mention the fact that it consumed almost no development effort at all.  Existing function, already sold once, being sold again.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    Is anyone really surprised that the 'big announcement' was simply another thing they could sell?  Not to mention the fact that it consumed almost no development effort at all.  Existing function, already sold once, being sold again.

I just find it funny that not only do you have to pay to pick your name, but you actually have to pay AGAIN to change it... and you haven't even made your character yet! It's not like you have been playing this character and are asking for a name change.  The character literally does not exist yet.  I can't even fathom the mental gymnastics one must go through to rationalize this.
    bartoni33GdemamiAnOldFart

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Wizardry said:
    What is that two lines of code?I hope they take a well deserved break after this deployment.

I know a lot of people feel this is one big joke but in seriousness,how do we know?Is it not possible that he really wants a quality game and has been struggling financially so is doing what anyone would do to try and save it?

Look what Semdley was doing near the end,how about Trion,ow about Lord british's game?
    How about Star Citizen?If COE had as many whales as SC,he could hire 200 people and make 3 games.Ok another...Pantheon,that is also a crowd funded game,see the trend here,the industry is in a mess ,a horrible mess,nobody is putting up their own money and when not taking ours,they leech off some publisher but never risking their own money.

Even if a game fails,they got to pay some wages,give the big shots some nice salaries,no wonder the quality games have sunk down so low,they are doing fine by delivering games that are no so fine.
    I can't see the effort to deliver this 'product' requiring more than 2 or 3 lines of code.

My issue with this game is that it appears to have gone past any reasonable 'point of failure'; SBS just doesn't want to admit failure.  So they sell something else, with as little effort as possible, to keep the project solvent.

Where I diverge from you is this:  If COE had as many whales as Star Citizen, they could *claim*  hiring 200 people and *pretend* to be making several games.  There may actually be people employed by SBS, but there's no evidence that they are actually doing anything constructive.  It's pretty clear to me that SBS doesn't have much of their own money riding on this project.

Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Mendel said:

I just find it funny that not only do you have to pay to pick your name, but you actually have to pay AGAIN to change it... and you haven't even made your character yet! It's not like you have been playing this character and are asking for a name change.  The character literally does not exist yet.  I can't even fathom the mental gymnastics one must go through to rationalize this.
    Is there a big group of people who paid to choose names, and somehow decided along the lines that they wanted to pay again to change them? 

I feel like that is insane, if I pay to pick a name I'm probably not going to want to change it. 
    Mendel said:

Is there a big group of people who paid to choose names, and somehow decided along the lines that they wanted to pay again to change them? 

I feel like that is insane, if I pay to pick a name I'm probably not going to want to change it. 
    I point you back to the quote:
    "Heavily requested by our community, we've deployed this new feature that is now available to anyone who has already reserved a surname."

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Mendel said:

Actually you might end up wanting to, depending how much you RP.  In the surname name reservation screen, they have a name generator for the different tribes. But since Kingdom, Duchy and County selection hasn't happened yet, most people don't actually know which tribe they will end up with.  So if you want to RP, all the various realm selections have gone through, you can pick a name to fit the one of the tribes your selected kingdom ended up with.
    [Deleted User]
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Mad rush on reserving the last name "the Gullible." 
    Slapshot1188Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    If all these studios with AAA games are laying employees off left and right, I wonder how much longer the development of this game can survive.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Tiller said:
    If all these studios with AAA games are laying employees off left and right, I wonder how much longer the development of this game can survive.
    It's a joke that those companies are laying off anyone, when the CEOs are still earning 15 million a year. They really don't need to fire people, they do it cause they are plan greedy. Really got little to do with anything else. So unless Caspian starts giving himself a few million a year, SBS will be fine on that front.
    Gdemami
    Well we have no idea what compensation Caspien is giving himself or his wife (if any). 66% of Silicon Valley startup founders pay themselves less that $50k/yr.  Many take no salary as their payoff is in ownership of the company. So I’d hope and expect it falls in that area. 
    CryomatrixTorrsk

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited March 2019
    Not good enough. I was hoping for a hairstyle change for forum avatars. Caspian failed to deliver. Again.
    Fingers crossed we are getting that in Update 6.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Well we have no idea what compensation Caspien is giving himself or his wife (if any). 66% of Silicon Valley startup founders pay themselves less that $50k/yr.  Many take no salary as their payoff is in ownership of the company. So I’d hope and expect it falls in that area. 
    That might be the nicest thing you ever said about Caspien.
    AnOldFartTorrsk
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Well I guess by the time they release it some players may have got married so this could be useful and at $10 it is a snip.

Seriously I do think this sort of "service" needs to be charged for, you can't have players changing their avatar's name at the drop of a helmet. Just a shame that's all they have come up with. Guess I am going to have to wait for the PC Gamer article for a big reveal. ;)
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scot said:
    Well I guess by the time they release it some players may have got married so this could be useful and at $10 it is a snip.

Seriously I do think this sort of "service" needs to be charged for, you can't have players changing their avatar's name at the drop of a helmet. Just a shame that's all they have come up with. Guess I am going to have to wait for the PC Gamer article for a big reveal. ;)
    They are encouraging players to reserve or change their surnames on multiple servers, at a separate fee for each account of course. 

Gotta pay for the game somehow.

;)

Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

They are encouraging players to reserve or change their surnames on multiple servers, at a separate fee for each account of course. 

Gotta pay for the game somehow.

;)

In B4 annual "Festival of Holy Matrimony" invented as a lore reason to encourage folks to marry and remarry their avatars "to enliven and diversify the matrimonial relationships between Kings, Counts, and Dukes," also conveniently necessitating continuous and repeated name changes.

Waiting on the Great Announcement.

[Deleted User]Slapshot1188

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

So nothing new here. OK let me get it all out of my system this post so I can ignore this thread from now on. The game is vaporware, many people think Caspian is a failure, pointless circle jerk debates about game development and welfare ware, innuendo, accusations, large bowl of porridge, and many demented lols to be had by all. 

OK see ya next thread. 
    And don't forget - nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see.
    [Deleted User]craftseekerKyleran