Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA & Activision CEOs Make Top 100 Overpaid Executives Report by As You Sow - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

Hashbrick said:

Also, @sbford, you are incorrect in giving that poster a "wtf". What he says is 100% true.

No one is incorrect to express their feelings, you'd do well to remember that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- I wasnt saying she was incorrect to express her feelings, i was saying her expressed feeling is something i disagree with. It is painfully obvious that teaching is more important than entertainment. It is also fact that the average basketball player makes low 8 figures. Why is there such a gap?

The poster gave a suboptimal clue worded poorly, but a better clue is an easy formula.

Money brought in divided how many people and/or what is involved. 

To teach all of america you need hundred of thousands of teachers to entertain the world via basketball, a group of 360 of the most talented men in the world can do it to the tune of net revenue of 7.6 billion. 

That is how the world works. That is how people get paid. It may not be what you think is the right way for the world to work, but not sure there is a better system.  

So then you should start of with, I disagree that you gave that poster a "wtf".  Saying it is incorrect is forcing your opinion where as saying you disagree is expressing your own feelings.  It's all about tone and in this PC culture tone is everything these days.  Tone is making and breaking people all across the world.  It's crazy when you think about it, really.

One thing we haven't touched on for sports is that the major sport federations are like their own society.  They have salary and roster caps per team and use that to entice more talented players to come aboard.  The federations themselves have fines, penalties and other "laws" which keeps the talent in check and revenue flowing in.  The ridiculous amount of money paid to talent is from sponsors, ticket sales, merchandise, stadium venders and every team gets a cut into it, along with their own ticket sales, sponsors and merchandise, stadium vendors.  It's really a one of kind revenue model that clearly speaks big gains.

Come on man, i wasnt insulting to sbford. But, If my tone was insulting then i apologize.

Sports is its own word but at the end of the day, when we talk about how athletes are paid, it is a simple calculation from the collective bargaining agreement (which is public for NBA at least) that the owners and players split revenue based on whatever percent. The salary cap is usually a function of the revenue (hence, why it changes for the NFL) and the function of a salary cap is to foster balance and competition. People watch sports for the entertainment value of it and keeping fair competitive balance is paramount.

I dont think sports/entertainment model is that different than other businesses. At the end of the day, as a farmer the cost of your product (crop) is defined by a combination of inventory input, support, and everything else and for sports, your product (entertainment) is defined by the cost of the players, because in sports, players = the vast majority of your cost of product.

Overall, in a capitalistic society, the formula holds true for whatever any person in america does, a large determining factor of your salary is how much money you bring in (or influence) and how replaceable you are.

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    The problem isn't how much executives get paid, it's the widening gap between between executives and employee that's the problem.

If you're too much of a red hat mentally regressed f#$% boy to understand here:

If the management:employee pay scale ratio was (for example) 10:1 in the 50's the difference shouldn't balloon 1000% while the employee side remains relatively the same. Especially considering the inflation on cost of living.

At the same time the inference of how much more important professional farmers are to other professionals while absolutely looking at the world in some Oregon Trail vacuum is kind of a ridiculous counterpoint.  It also ignores the fact that "farmers" are WAY more wealthy than the average person (and are executives themselves in most cases) + they're not doing it for the good of society. They're land barons profiting off the sale of a product that grows on their land.

Growing your own food in a garden puts all that "farmers are more important than..." foolishness right to bed.
    Gdemami
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Cryomatrix said:
    It is painfully obvious that teaching is more important than entertainment. 
    ...is it? What are your metrics? Your "feelings"...?
    EponyxDamorKyleran
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Gdemami said:
    Cryomatrix said:
    Probably depends on whether your an autocrat vs a democrat and I'm not talking political parties
    Gdemami

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Gdemami said:
    Cryomatrix said:
    You must be joking.... Travel the world, especially poor, struggling countries and you would know how incredibly dumb your question is, beyond dumb even. Don’t try to debate this for the sake of the debate so you might look knowledgeable, You don’t....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    GdemamiCryomatrixSBFordHatefullNildenKyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Gdemami said:
    Cryomatrix said:
    My metric is logic and historical examples. Educating a society on a whole is more important to the continued existence and prosperity of a society than entertainment.

Im not saying entertainment isnt important, but education and thus teaching is more. When a country gets help from industrialized countries they arent asking for entertainment, they want knowledge . . .
    GdemamilahnmirSBFordHatefulllaseritNildenKyleran
    My metric is logic
    ...then maybe you can actually propose a logical argument?
    EponyxDamor[Deleted User]Kyleran
    Gdemami said:
    My metric is logic
    Why don't you counter his point.
    SBFordHatefull

edited February 2019
    laserit said:
    ....because he isn't making any. He just makes blanket statements with no support in either evidence, nor reasoning.
    [Deleted User]HatefullKyleran
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Gdemami said:
    Cryomatrix said:
    Without someone to teach others how to be entertainers (in any discipline) they would not be entertainers. I don't feel like I should have to explain that to an adult, but damn here we are.

It goes for any industry, profession, whatever. Coaches, teachers, instructors etc. take the painful lessons and distill them into periods of instruction without which we would still think hitting people with a stick is how to get your point across.

The cornerstone of society is education. While it disgusts me to no end that the wage gap is ever widening. I get the risks incurred in becoming a CEO and the massive responsibility set across their shoulders, but someone somewhere taught them how to wipe their own ass and read (among other very important things) and without that foundation, they absolutely would not be where they are today.
    laseritSBFordMadFrenchieNilden

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Gdemami said:
    My metric is logic
    Ahh come on mate, don’t be dumb AND lazy. You challenge the status quo, you present the evidence. Now is your time to shine, to prove you are not just full of verbal, condecending diarreah and empty LOLs.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    GdemamiHatefullSBFordCryomatrixKyleran

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

laserit said:
    Gdemami said:
    My metric is logic
    Because he doesnt have a point himself.  He is like a gnat on a bulls ass and nothing more.
    That's really too bad because there are valid points on all sides. 

Ever heard the phrase:

Give someone a fish, you feed him for a day, teach someone how to fish, you feed him forever . . .or something like that.

Or how about . . . You know . . .  Scientific advancements and new technology and breakthroughs were the result of people being taught shit. Thank god someone educated Dr. Salk, so he could use his knowledge to create the first vaccine (polio vaccine) or whoever invented the first antibiotic

Also, in the book, they go over that 2 scottish monks in 1700's or so were the first to discover the field of statistics and created the Scottish Widows fund which is still in existence today. If no one taught them how to read which was probably a requirement to be in the clergy. 

Interestingly, im reading this NYT best seller (Sapiens) and it is a pretty good read. You may learn something.

Hatefulllaserit
    Ever heard the phrase:

Give someone a fish, you feed him for a day, teach someone how to fish, you feed him forever . . .or something like that.

Or how about . . . You know . . .  Scientific advancements and new technology and breakthroughs were the result of people being taught shit. Thank god someone educated Dr. Salk, so he could use his knowledge to create the first vaccine (polio vaccine) or whoever invented the first antibiotic

Also, in the book, they go over that 2 scottish monks in 1700's or so were the first to discover the field of statistics and created the Scottish Widows fund which is still in existence today. If no one taught them how to read which was probably a requirement to be in the clergy. 

Interestingly, im reading this NYT best seller (Sapiens) and it is a pretty good read. You may learn something.

Well...

It is much easier to shovel propaganda and bullshit to the uneducated. So I guess it would really depend on what the end goal is. ;)
    GdemamiSBFordPanther2103

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Gdemami said:
    My metric is logic
    Is [LOL] a logical argument? For every 100 [LOL] you mindlessly/mysteriously press (to bot like levels for YEARS now) if you provided 1 logical argument in between you'd be the MMORPG.com Plato. Your 1 sentence quips are typically vague, nonsensical at best, and they're not even entertaining.

TL;DR
    Stick to handing out free/random [LOL]. You probably have more of those than actual bytes of typed discussion. Now gimme my [LOL].  :D
    SBFordIselinTacticalZombeh
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited February 2019
    Hatefull said:
    Without someone to teach others how to be entertainers (in any discipline) they would not be entertainers.
    ...if there is no desire for entertainers, there is no need for "entertainer teachers". Kinda chicken and egg problem, isn't it?
    Scientific advancements and new technology and breakthroughs were the result of people being taught shit. 

...or they are a by-product/tools of other desires? Self-preservation, warfare, power, wealth...entertainment...?

So again, what is your metrics of importance?
    [Deleted User]Iselin
    Gdemami said:
    Hatefull said:
    Without someone to teach others how to be entertainers (in any discipline) they would not be entertainers.
    ...if there is no desire for entertainers, there is no need for "entertainer teachers". Kinda chicken and egg problem, isn't it?
    Scientific advancements and new technology and breakthroughs were the result of people being taught shit. 

...or they are a by-product/tools of other desires? Self-preservation, warfare, power, weatlth...entertainment...?

So again, what if your metrics of importance?
    So, a debate for the sake of a debate it is. Insulting to more then 50% of the world population too poor to enjoy education to get a better life, escaping temporarily into entertainment because they can’t afford better.

You truly don’t have a clue about the actual world. Come talk to me when you have seen children dying of hunger, when you see people starving just so they can put ONE kid through college, when you have seen the necessity for child labor in India because families can’t do without it, when you have seen six year olds take ten mile trips to school and back, when you have visited these schools, have talked to local councils in third world countries. A small hint, I have done ALL of the above, your ignorance and verbal masturbation is an insult.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Gdemami[Deleted User]SBFordCryomatrixswagholeNildenHatefull

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Its good to see small indie companies like EA and Activision-Blizzard being able to hold strong after all these years. It can't be helped that people need to be let go after both companies' record earnings year last year.
    Kyleran
    lahnmir said:
    Gdemami said:
    Hatefull said:

...or they are a by-product/tools of other desires? Self-preservation, warfare, power, weatlth...entertainment...?

So again, what if your metrics of importance?
    So, a debate for the sake of a debate it is. Insulting to more then 50% of the world population too poor to enjoy education to get a better life, escaping temporarily into entertainment because they can’t afford better.

You truly don’t have a clue about the actual world. Come talk to me when you have seen children dying of hunger, when you see people starving just so they can put ONE kid through college, when you have seen the necessity for child labor in India because families can’t do without it, when you have seen six year olds take ten mile trips to school and back, when you have visited these schools, have talked to local councils in third world countries. A small hint, I have done ALL of the above, your ignorance and verbal masturbation is an insult.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    If we educate people in places like Bangladesh, they won't be happy working in sweatshops for $40 a month anymore. 
    Panther2103HatefullHashbrick

edited February 2019
    @Gdemami

Well, truthfully, a lot of tech advancements were triggered by warfare. But you know, when the US created the Manhatten project (nuclear bomb) they clearly invited the illiterate and uneducated right? I mean, that Einstein guy probably had no education . . . Right. 

Metrics of importance is impact on the world. Vaccines and antibiotics and most tech advances have had way more impact on the world than any entertainment. 

No one is like thank god for the New England Patriots winning their 6th super bowl (i was very happy about it though) but you know when vaccines came out the folks at that time were super happy. 

Fun fact: Richard the Lionheart died by a simple arrow wound to the shoulder that got infected. It would have been a minor injury by today's standards.

@laserit

Yes, you are correct, certain dictatorial regimes get rid of the educated so they can shovel bullshit and propaganda to the uneducated. It is sad, but even educated people fall to propaganda and bullshit.  
    laseritMadFrenchieHatefull
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    Gdemami said:
    Cryomatrix said:
    My metric is logic and historical examples. Educating a society on a whole is more important to the continued existence and prosperity of a society than entertainment.

Im not saying entertainment isnt important, but education and thus teaching is more. When a country gets help from industrialized countries they arent asking for entertainment, they want knowledge . . .
    You can't attempt to put a value on a persons contribution to society, so I don't say CEO's don't "contribute" as much as a teacher. Otherwise are we going to go down the road of saying a special needs teacher is contributing more than a primary school one? It seems simple on the face of it and then turns into a quagmire as you tease it out.

I base my criticism on the huge increase in director pay that occurred in the eighties/nineties. Unless we are going to say they are working much, much harder why are they being paid more? Well because they are setting their own pay, which just like politicians is never high enough.

MadFrenchie

@laserit

Yes, you are correct, certain dictatorial regimes get rid of the educated so they can shovel bullshit and propaganda to the uneducated. It is sad, but even educated people fall to propaganda and bullshit.  
    Sad but true
    CryomatrixSBFordKyleran

edited February 2019
    @Gdemami
    Well, truthfully, a lot of tech advancements were triggered by warfare. But you know, when the US created the Manhatten project (nuclear bomb) they clearly invited the illiterate and uneducated right? I mean, that Einstein guy probably had no education . . . Right. 
    ...still you are not capable to make any point.

See my reply to Hatefull - no warfare desire, no need for atomic bomb, no need for scientists.

Can you actually refute that?
    Gdemami said:
    @Gdemami

See my reply to Hatefull - no warfare desire, no need for atomic bomb, no need for scientists.

Warfare runs pretty deep. Is it learned or is it instinct?

Gdemami said:
    @Gdemami

You are trolling me . . .but yeah.

Education leads to technological and scientific break throughs which usually have modest impact on society except for the big ones.

Entertainment itself doesnt have that impact unless of course you argue for entertainment providing balance and thus good mental health to people to function better. 

Please give me a "LOL" and slither along.
    Gdemami