Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 or ESO?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
i have played both a lot..
and have an opinion on both..
the bad news about Arenanet made me check out ESO again..

its incredible how different these games are..
GW2 is a real MMOrpg, it feels like a world you travel trough, with things happening along the road..
ESO is the opposite, a mmoRPG, much more an RPG experience..
where many treat these games as direct competitors, they are both on different sides of the spectrum.

personally i think GW2 does most things better...
i even like the graphics/annimations/scenery better.
and the combat system in GW2 has so much more depth(tactical)
and thereis no othermmorpg thatin my book can compete withthe world design..
i like the vertical progression system, and the hard work you need to do for gearing new builds
i also love that the story makes you feel like a hero, and not a mailman or carpenter
pvp, espescially conquest but also WvW is more fun.
replayabillity in GW2 outside of the story is huge, the world feels semi dynamic

but there are some things eso does better
first there is the stories, even tough they sometimes make me feellike an errantboy, the story and lore vallue is better.
and then there is PvE traditional group content, as a semi casuall player i prefer eso dungeons and trials..
housing is done very nice..  and armor looks better..

but thats about it..
combat is somewhat cluncky altough it feels quite immersive, more like real combat then GW2, where combat feels like a game..
annimation wise eso trails gw2 by miles.. and also the scenery while looking great can’t compete with the sights of GW2..
community wise, i guess they are both in agood spot..

so why this sudden interest in ESO (which is still a fun game)?
Thats because i only play games with continous updates..
both games are very strong with this..
but if Arenanet starts slacking, i will not doubt a minute and make a change of my maingame..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    GW2 does so many things better.
    ESO is a good game and has quite a bit of content but the combat is atrocious.
    It's a shame because I've tried several times to get into it and I just can't stand the slow/clunky combat :(
    tweedledumb99

..Cake..

• DragpzDragpz Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I'd rate GW2 over ESO, but sometimes you just need a break from GW2.  What I hate about ESO is that it is fairly grindy, you end up Grinding Dungeons or Dolmens to get to 500 CP (soft cap) and it can take a few months of playing to get there
    ThupliOctagon7711Alomar
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    DMKano said:
    IMO neither. 

A solid single player game like RDR2 puts them both to shame.
    You brought up single player (even though most mmorpgs feel like single player games now anyway). I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of and/or tried Enderal: Forgotten Stories which is pretty much a mod-turned full on game using skyrim.
    Scot
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    ESO no contest.
    SetzerPhry
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Albatroes said:
    DMKano said:
    IMO neither. 

You brought up single player (even though most mmorpgs feel like single player games now anyway). I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of and/or tried Enderal: Forgotten Stories which is pretty much a mod-turned full on game using skyrim.

New one on me, I guess as its a MOD and free if you have Skyrim we are not supposed to hear about it. After all players might start asking why it did not need Early Access, release as a brand new game even though it is a mod, have a cash shop and generally try to fleece players.

Looks like I will be reinstalling Skyrim after my current game thanks for the tip.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Scot said:
    Albatroes said:
    DMKano said:
    IMO neither. 

New one on me, I guess as its a MOD and free if you have Skyrim we are not supposed to hear about it. After all players might start asking why it did not need Early Access, release as a brand new game even though it is a mod, have a cash shop and generally try to fleece players.

Looks like I will be reinstalling Skyrim after my current game thanks for the tip.
    I dont think you need to if you bought it on steam, you can just download it directly, although I think you needed to have bought the vanilla skyrim through steam and not the special edition.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I play ESO and GW2 mainly if new content comes out, at which point I blitz it until the novelty wears off and then play something else.  I'll be playing ESO when the Necromancer gets released in a few months time.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I like them both and only play GW2 a little more because of their larger 'free' crafting inventory, traditional auction house that can be access from the UI, flying/floating mounts and gliders, easier to reset skills, decent underwater combat and underwater missions, and lots of leveling scroll drops, a free level eighty with expansions with additional slots, which means if I want to start a new character I have the option to skip leveling if I want.   

I like them both however.  If I had to give one up, it would be ESO.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited February 2019
    GW2 also has a proper AH unlike ESO’s terrible guild traders and reliance on mods.
    DibdabsOctagon7711Alomar

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    i am still waiting for a good MMO since GW2 i never could get into ESO but its not bad.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited February 2019
    ESO to play through with one or two characters. It has a nice story for this and cool starting zones. Enough fun even on your own. With friends it is kind of annoying if you start in different places. ESO AH alternative has always annoyed me. Imo it is a nice idea, but very poorly executed.

GW2 shines as a MMORPG though. It has the more modern QoL mechanics and better combat imo. It also lets you experiment with different weapon/builds without making it feel as a punishment. One of the more convenient MMORPG's to play with a couple of friends. No matter what race you chose, you can easily join your friends in different zones to play together. Also, the mounts in this game are such a blast to use.

But I also think that GW2's quest/public event system is an aqcuired taste. Character progression could also be a bit more interesting then it currently is.

Two of the best current MMORPG's imo.
  • v_Vev_Ve Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I've been on both recently. My vote goes to ESO and thats come from someone who has stated i think GW@ was THE quality MMO. After giving ESO a true shake of the shake it just has so much depth. There are thing GW2 does better but i've found myself much more immersed in ESO then I ever was with GW2. Fashion Wars 2 can be fun though.
    [Deleted User]Setzer

Witty & Wicked >:)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited February 2019
    Tastes great!
    Less filling!

;)
    ZorlofeAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    ESO
  • ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Although nothing out there is truly scratching my itch, I return to ESO daily and play that for now. I've played both and enjoy ESO overall more than GW2.
  • parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    edited February 2019
    i play both and love both of them because there many similarities between them, they are both theme park mmos, both heavy story driven, both have good business model, over all they are both decent, keep both of them, play gw2 first get legendary stuff or do whatever you want, after that take break from gw2 and start playing eso, basically what i mean is you can play both, and it wont put you under pressure in terms of money, you really do not have to subscribe all the time or spend money on them all the time, time wise you can split your time between them and trust me after 1 or 2 year of playing you will do most (if not all) content in both of them, do not quit one for the other , you can keep them both.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    ESO is way better at PvE, PvP, graphics and community... GW2 is better at pastel colors and auction house.

Sz  :)
    [Deleted User]
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Both have disjointed communities. 

ESO to me is a single player RPG. I've never grouped up in it. I've never been asked to group up in it.  Hell I barely even see anyone running around the world, only in hubs do I ever see anyone.  That said it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, it's just my personal experience and my willingness to care, it is a C game for me.  If my main MMO is in maintenance and I don't have a game I'm currently playing I'll jump on it.  But I did give it a solid month of attention before getting that "why login" feel.  I do like how you can go pretty much anywhere and do what ever questline you want as things scale to your level.  That was huge, but the same thing that makes it cool, makes it disjointed.  Also the combat is just plain meh, like I said feels very single player with little balance.

GW2 I never liked how far away it was from original GW. I wasn't a fan of the open world quests, I hated that most of them were "pick this up and put this here".  It's a long time til you hit your first dungeon and then it is when you do you realize even more worse problems you couldn't tell on the surface.  The balance is just plain bad, when you party you notice how bad the balance really is. I quit shortly after that dungeon experience.  While I did see a lot more people, mostly when going to huge open world boss battles again never grouped (except for the dungeon), never was asked to.

Both have their pros and cons. Though I'd say GW2 completely lost my interest, whereas ESO just got less interest from me.
    YashaXdelete5230
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • Cuppett5Cuppett5 Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Neither, play Albion Online.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    YES, to both games. 

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    That's another thing about ESO.  I must be using around 11 apps to do things I feel ESO should have.   GW2, zero apps. 
    Palebane

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    That's another thing about ESO.  I must be using around 11 apps to do things I feel ESO should have.   GW2, zero apps. 
    Going with a minimalist UI and opening it up to the mod community was a deliberate design choice so no surprise there. I do feel bad for the console players who have to do without.
    [Deleted User]PalebaneQuicksand
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I tried Guild Wars 2 awhile back and couldn't really get into it at the time since it had no mounts (Pre PoF)  and coming from playing WoW a lot I was a mount whore in it so when I found out that I couldn't farm those at that time I quit on the spot I'm not sure if it's the art style or the combat but I haven't really been able to stay logged in often enough to level to max. 

I've been having fun with ESO lately. I'm mostly into fantasy more and that's perfect for me. I still don't know everything that I can know but it's been a slow leveling pace for me which isn't bad. Combat is a bit different and hate the use of no real AH. 
    Palebane
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited February 2019
    i have played both a lot..
    and have an opinion on both..
    the bad news about Arenanet made me check out ESO again..

its incredible how different these games are..
    GW2 is a real MMOrpg, it feels like a world you travel trough, with things happening along the road..
    ESO is the opposite, a mmoRPG, much more an RPG experience..
    where many treat these games as direct competitors, they are both on different sides of the spectrum.

personally i think GW2 does most things better...
    i even like the graphics/annimations/scenery better.
    and the combat system in GW2 has so much more depth(tactical)
    and thereis no othermmorpg thatin my book can compete withthe world design..
    i like the vertical progression system, and the hard work you need to do for gearing new builds
    i also love that the story makes you feel like a hero, and not a mailman or carpenter
    pvp, espescially conquest but also WvW is more fun.
    replayabillity in GW2 outside of the story is huge, the world feels semi dynamic

but there are some things eso does better
    first there is the stories, even tough they sometimes make me feellike an errantboy, the story and lore vallue is better.
    and then there is PvE traditional group content, as a semi casuall player i prefer eso dungeons and trials..
    housing is done very nice..  and armor looks better..

but thats about it..
    combat is somewhat cluncky altough it feels quite immersive, more like real combat then GW2, where combat feels like a game..
    annimation wise eso trails gw2 by miles.. and also the scenery while looking great can’t compete with the sights of GW2..
    community wise, i guess they are both in agood spot..

so why this sudden interest in ESO (which is still a fun game)?
    Thats because i only play games with continous updates..
    both games are very strong with this..
    but if Arenanet starts slacking, i will not doubt a minute and make a change of my maingame..

Probably my two favorite mmos. I prefered GW2 until One Tamriel, and haven't really been back to GW2 since Morrowind came out.

Combat wise, I find ESO is less responsive to weapon swapping, breaking out of CC, and triggering abilities; also it is overall more difficult because you can't really tab onto targets in the same way you can in GW2. I wouldn't say it was less tactical though.

What really elevates ESO for me is the pvp, the crafting, character customization, and community.
    GW2's pvp was AMAZING compared to most other mmos when I first started playing it. Now it feels stale, and even the spvp (which I used to love) seems to have gotten worse if anything. 

I have been beginning to feel lately that these may have been the last of the "great" mmos. I don't see anything on the horizon of similar scope and polish as these games in the mmo genre, and what I have seen of the crowd-funded "indie" titles looks pretty uninspiring to be honest. What do you think?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Another thing i noticed, while both games are aproximately on the same upgrade schedule, GW2 upgrades and expansions feel quite a lot larger..

also the GW2 world feels huge compared to Tamriel...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)