Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA & Activision CEOs Make Top 100 Overpaid Executives Report by As You Sow - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageEA & Activision CEOs Make Top 100 Overpaid Executives Report by As You Sow - MMORPG.com News

As You Sow is an organization dedicated to corporate social responsibility and each year it provides a detailed report about executive salaries and calculates which ones are overpaid. In this year's report of the 100 most overpaid executives, two gaming CEOs made the list: EA's CEO Andrew Wilson and Activision's CEO Bobby Kotick.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

GdemamiScot

Comments

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Usually when people do damage to a company they are the ones that should be paying the company and not the other way around... I guess EA and Activision still haven't figured that out :P
  • PridPrid Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Pretty sure the 92 and 97 percents are votes to approve the pay not against.
    Rain_DeathravenTuor7ZenJellyThupli
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    In before Bobby K. asks for more bonuses for again taking the company to the top...
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Wonder what they're doing, or think they're doing, to warrant such pay.

In my eyes both companies suck now. They were great, but no longer.

Are they being paid to kill the legends of old?
    jarsku85Gdemami
  • parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    if they were game director or content lead designer or lead writer i would understand, because those people are very very important in game industry, they are responsible for a good or a bad game, they are main force behind any game. i want to know what is the salary of game director in bllizard/activation  or EA, is their CEO have great game ideas that make those games better , can he design content, can he write good story, can he direct the game into greatness, what is his job exactly and why such massive salary??
    GdemamiHatefullsschrupp
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    There are CEOs out there, multiple CEOs, who earn less than $10M (base salary + bonuses + share perks etc.) running companies that make more profit than Activision Blizzard had in revenue e.g. HSBC  made over $15B profit (not revenue). 

So its a legitimate question. And one that shareholders should address. And all shareholders should vote even if they only have 1 share otherwise its passive acceptance.

MadFrenchieOctagon7711iamspamicusDhamon99
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

gervaise1 said:

There are CEOs out there, multiple CEOs, who earn less than $10M (base salary + bonuses + share perks etc.) running companies that make more profit than Activision Blizzard had in revenue e.g. HSBC  made over $15B profit (not revenue). 

So its a legitimate question. And one that shareholders should address. And all shareholders should vote even if they only have 1 share otherwise its passive acceptance.

Hsbc isnt a good example because they are so huge, they have multiple regional CEO's, it would be interesting to see the aggregate salary of the C-Suite
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    edited February 2019
    For what it is worth, i don't agree with comparing CEO salaries to the median employee salary. Certain business have different structures and different products that require differing levels of low skilled labor. Starbucks vs a pharmaceutical company for example.
    WhiteLanternswagholeSamhael
    It also doesnt take into account other factors like competition and precedence at the company. Im sure there are other factors then what the website mentioned that goes into determining CEO salaries.
    swaghole
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    For what it is worth, i don't agree with comparing CEO salaries to the median employee salary. Certain business have different structures and different products that require differing levels of low skilled labor. Starbucks vs a pharmaceutical company for example.
    You could compare it to average salary, and it would still be an exorbitant amount.

This amount of wealth concentration doesn't serve the greater good.  But it was never intended to.
    GdemamiOctagon7711Thupli

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Reality check my friend... in the grand scheme of things a farmer is more valuable to the planet than any game designer, graphic artist or CEO of a game company.  That's what's wrong with this world (of the many things wrong with it), we value entertainment over basic life sustaining staples.  

We expect our children to get excellent educations but understaff and underpay the people tasked with doing just that.  

On the flip side, we see no problem with some football star receiving a million dollar salary to catch balls for 1/4 of the year.

The people who are of greatest importance to our planet have historically made the least.  Farmers are more important to this planet than game designers are.  Teachers are more important to this planet than IT professionals are.  Healthcare workers, sanitation workers, notice the word work right in their job description, are far more important to this planet than athletes, actors, and stockbrokers.

We pay those who do the least the most and those who do the most, the least.

swagholeGdemamiSBFordOctagon7711dragonlee66WhiteLantern[Deleted User]Hatefullromlakiamspamicusand 7 others.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    btdt said:
    Reality check my friend... in the grand scheme of things a farmer is more valuable to the planet than any game designer, graphic artist or CEO of a game company.  That's what's wrong with this world (of the many things wrong with it), we value entertainment over basic life sustaining staples.  

We expect our children to get excellent educations but understaff and underpay the people tasked with doing just that.  

On the flip side, we see no problem with some football star receiving a million dollar salary to catch balls for 1/4 of the year.

The people who are of greatest importance to our planet have historically made the least.  Farmers are more important to this planet than game designers are.  Teachers are more important to this planet than IT professionals are.  Healthcare workers, sanitation workers, notice the word work right in their job description, are far more important to this planet than athletes, actors, and stockbrokers.

As a longtime teacher before entering this glamorous line of work, I 100% agree. 
    GdemamiOctagon7711HatefullUngoodRobbgobbMendel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• swagholeswaghole Member UncommonPosts: 13

btdt said:

Reality check my friend... in the grand scheme of things a farmer is more valuable to the planet than any game designer, graphic artist or CEO of a game company.

One of a million farmers compared to the one and only CEO of a multi-million dollar game company. It's called logic, my guy.

SBFordCryomatrix[Deleted User]Iselin
    edited February 2019
    swaghole said:
    btdt said:
    Reality check my friend... in the grand scheme of things a farmer is more valuable to the planet than any game designer, graphic artist or CEO of a game company. 

One of a million farmers compared to the one and only CEO of a multi-million dollar game company. It's called logic, my guy.
    And someone has to feed and teach that "one and only" who became such as a result.

Look, I don't begrudge CEOs good salaries, but there is only so much money a person can spend in a lifetime. I've always thought that if I were ever so fortunate, I'd be an altruist. When I was teaching, I always dreamed of having enough cash to run a school with all the modern trimmings missing in public education (where I taught, btw) and where teachers were valued for their importance to all kids -- pretty much what LeBron James is doing. :)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/30/sports/basketball/lebron-james-akron-school.html

I hope some of these CEOs are doing similar. If they aren't, they should.
    MadFrenchieOctagon7711Gdemami[Deleted User]HatefullThaharswaghole

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

btdt said:

No one gets paid for the intrinsic value of what they do. In an economy where money is the universal barter currency, those that bring in the most are by default, the most important.

You have a society that breaks down back into the barter economy without money, then, perhaps a farmer is most important, but let us be realistic, the land owner is the important one historically speaking.

And healthcare is so important that it makes trillions, but spread out across millions of people.

Overall, realize you live in a capitalistic society and take advantage of it

swaghole
    Also, @sbford, you are incorrect in giving that poster a "wtf". What he says is 100% true.

Farmers as a whole are way more important than entertainment or any basketball player. I mean farming and food is probably a trillion dollar industry but it is spread out among all the hundred and thousands or millions of farmers. As i alluded to earlier, the NBA brings in 7.6 billion a year and it is really only spread out between 30 owners and 360 players.

If you really want to make the claim that doctors for example are more important than entertainers, then you should compare the aggregate industry instead of looking at average salaries, whixh in reality, is taking the dollars of the aggregate industry and dividing it by those that are involved in the industry.
    swaghole

SBFord said:

swaghole said:
    btdt said:

And someone has to feed and teach that "one and only" who became such as a result.

Look, I don't begrudge CEOs good salaries, but there is only so much money a person can spend in a lifetime. I've always thought that if I were ever so fortunate, I'd be an altruist. When I was teaching, I always dreamed of having enough cash to run a school with all the modern trimmings missing in public education (where I taught, btw) and where teachers were valued for their importance to all kids -- pretty much what LeBron James is doing. :)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/30/sports/basketball/lebron-james-akron-school.html

I hope some of these CEOs are doing similar. If they aren't, they should.

And does anyone here know how these two CEOs are using their money? No? Okay then, thanks for showing your concern.

I understand that someone has to be taught/fed to live and learn, but crying over how much the two top ranking members of a company with a $7 billion revenue? Absurd to me, especially when you compare them to teachers or farmers, two very common jobs at this point in time.

Yes, you are more important to society if you're a teacher,farmer, etc. But you do not deserve as much pay as these CEOs. Your comparisons are idiotic if you actually think them through.
    Cryomatrix
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    swaghole said:

Yes, you are more important to society if you're a teacher,farmer, etc.
    ...those who can't do, teach. And those who can't teach, teach gym.

This whole topic in a nutshell.

[Deleted User]swagholelaserit
    edited February 2019
    swaghole said:
    And does anyone here know how these two CEOs are using their money? No? Okay then, thanks for showing your concern.
    Snarky commentary aside, I didn't make any assumptions about these individuals or any others. As I actually did say, I don't begrudge them great salaries and then, if you note, I went on to what I dreamed of when I was a teacher and then championed LeBron James for his work. Wrapping it up, I said, "I HOPE some of these CEOs are doing similar. If they aren't, they should."  Again, no specificity, just a general wish and hope that people with more money than they will EVER be able to spend are returning to the communities that raised them. CEOs aren't born, they're raised by every involved family member, every teacher that brought them the knowledge to become what they did, every mentor they met along the way and to their own hard work taking those lessons to become extraordinary.

Thanks for your concern. Please, and I mean this very respectfully, do not put words in my mouth.

Gdemamidragonlee66[Deleted User]HatefullThaharsschruppRobbgobb

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Usually the pay is determined by risk not by is it important for our society or not.  To name a few.

CEO - Deals with all company's runnings and decisions, is the poster child of the company. If they screw up the company suffers for their decisions and behavior.

Athlete - High pressure to perform on a daily basis until the athlete break of each sport. High danger to themselves and others when playing said game.  Risk of being disabled high.  A face for the organization they are part of, what they say and do does effect the organization even when outside the game.

Teacher - Generally considered low risk and easy to replace. Unless popular among the community what they say/do does not effect the school as a whole.

Farmer - Keeps to themselves their only risk is of their own equipment and fiances, does not have anything to do with a public image.

Stocker/Fast Food - Easy to replace, zero effect to the company, issues are quickly taken care of and everyone forgets about what ever out burst happened within a week.

Whether I think it is right or wrong doesn't matter, it just matters that everything follows the common theme of risk for pay.

Also, @sbford, you are incorrect in giving that poster a "wtf". What he says is 100% true.
    No one is incorrect to express their feelings, you'd do well to remember that.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    Gdemami said:
    swaghole said:

Trite and "cute" but disgustingly wrong. People who spew that are those who have never taught, never appreciated what it takes to be a teacher, particularly in today's world.

Go spend a year or two as a substitute or as a full blown teacher and then come back and say that. Ugh.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]swagholegervaise1WalkinGlennHatefullMendel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Gdemami said:
    swaghole said:

That's rich ;)
    MadFrenchie

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Hashbrick said:
    Usually the pay is determined by risk not by is it important for our society or not.  To name a few.

CEO - Deals with all company's runnings and decisions, is the poster child of the company. If they screw up the company suffers for their decisions and behavior.

Athlete - High pressure to perform on a daily basis until the athlete break of each sport. High danger to themselves and others when playing said game.  Risk of being disabled high.  A face for the organization they are part of, what they say and do does effect the organization even when outside the game.

Teacher - Generally considered low risk and easy to replace. Unless popular among the community what they say/do does not effect the school as a whole.

Farmer - Keeps to themselves their only risk is of their own equipment and fiances, does not have anything to do with a public image.

Stocker/Fast Food - Easy to replace, zero effect to the company, issues are quickly taken care of and everyone forgets about what ever out burst happened within a week.

Whether I think it is right or wrong doesn't matter, it just matters that everything follows the common theme of risk for pay.

No one is incorrect to express their feelings, you'd do well to remember that.
    A farmer takes huge risks, risks that they have no control over.

Weather
    GdemamiSBFord

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited February 2019

SBFord said:

swaghole said:

Snarky commentary aside, I didn't make any assumptions about these individuals or any others. As I actually did say, I don't begrudge them great salaries and then, if you note, I went on to what I dreamed of when I was a teacher and then championed LeBron James for his work. Wrapping it up, I said, "I HOPE some of these CEOs are doing similar. If they aren't, they should."  Again, no specificity, just a general wish and hope that people with more money than they will EVER be able to spend are returning to the communities that raised them. CEOs aren't born, they're raised by every involved family member, every teacher that brought them the knowledge to become what they did, every mentor they met along the way and to their own hard work taking those lessons to become extraordinary.

Thanks for your concern. Please, and I mean this very respectfully, do not put words in my mouth.

You showed concern over what they spend their money on. I said thanks. No assumptions at all. Reply with a quote of where I put words in your mouth. You won't be able to.
    [Deleted User]
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    SBFord said:
    Go spend a year or two as a substitute or as a full blown teacher and then come back and say that. Ugh.
    ...that's kinda the point, isn't it?
    laserit[Deleted User]Thahar