Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anthem Review: Here We Go Again - MMORPG.com

Comments

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

cmacq said:

You know I sure am glad I don't rely on reviews to tell me what games to play. I have been gaming since games began. I am old as dirt, was an adult when pong came out and let me tell you about the revolution that was space invaders!

I've been playing Anthem for the last week and really enjoying myself. The flying and the combat are serious fun to me. Is it without problems? No of course not but a lot of those are getting seriously over-exaggerated. I have a good system but it's now 6 years old. It was top notch when I bought it. I'm running the game without issue.

The load screens while being a pita are much improved since the patch and many of them take very little time at all for me now. Freeplay? Don't know what you're doing Mike but I load in solo np and really enjoy just checking out the geography. I interact with others on the map as I see fit.

As to the endgame there is a lot of work required no doubt but then after gaming for this long, the last thing I do is rush to endgame with something that has just been released. Just don't get that mentality, of course it's going to be lacking!

What I see here is the basis for a good game which is still early in it's development. If Bioware sticks with this and listens to their community it is going to be very good indeed. In the meantime I will continue to have fun while I watch it grow. We have a big content patch coming very early in March.

I have no love for EA or Bioware for that matter but I also don't need to slam the big companies for every little mistake they make either. I judge each game I play on whether it is fun for me no matter who makes it. It's a game that has just released. I was there for the shit show that was Diablo 3 when it released. This is so much better it's hard to talk about them in the same write-up.

I must be a few years younger than you, but I can't share your attitude.
    I'm too aware of what kind of games we could be getting, and despite being a Sci-fi lover, this game was not interesting for me at all. I was looking forward to Destiny 2 on PC, and while it was fun, there wasn't much too it. Anthem looks like it has even less.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Limnic said:
    That video comparison remind me I need to swap in an RTX card and see what features it has for Anthem, if any. The use of Ansel and Nvidia's built in post-processing on top of the normal graphic settings already makes it a really good looking game. If it can handle ray-tracing for reflections on RTX that might solve some lacking explosions and reflections.

Anyone tooled about with that already with this?
    I am running an RTX 2080 on ultra and it looks really good. Of course just my opinion, I am sure someone will be along shortly to tell me why it can't look good. But to me it looks great, big fights get a bit confusing with all the effects, but it all sorts out in the end.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711gunklackerRhygarth

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    ohioastro said:
    I'm having a hard time stomaching the Anthem defense crowd.  This is a loot shooter without a place where you can even see your stats.  In every other game of the genre you see what new gear does (and how it looks) by clicking a couple of buttons; here it involves multiple loading screens.  The variety on items is minimal.  The mission variety is minimal. Crafting costs are high, making the entire system moot; cosmetic options minimal (not even from the cash shop.) There are a host of technical issues - *not bugs - by this I mean poor design choices.  The merger of the single player game with the multi-player aspect is widely regarded as poorly done. Dozens of professional reviews and hundreds of user reviews make the same points over and over.

And virtually everyone also agrees that the Iron Man flying bit is cool, the game looks amazing, and there is general agreement that the game play is also solid.  But all of the disastrous, inexplicable design choices are also real.  This is not a labor of love from a couple of guys in a basement; hundreds of people looked over this game and decided that the layers of loading screens were totally cool. You couldn't possibly see a clearer sign that Bioware has utterly and completely lost the plot. Fixing the defects isn't a matter of patching bugs.  It's a matter of fixing deeply baked in bad design choices.

If the Iron Man bit is enough for you, great!  Just don't be surprised if others notice the numerous flaws.  As far as I'm concerned, the Bioware that made games that I liked is long dead (I liked their games through Mass Effect 2, and they lost me at Dragon Age 2).   EA stinks, but this is all on them - and if they're shut down they earned it as far as I'm concerned.
    I can't stomach people whos forum handle starts with O. Makes no sense does it?  

FYI you can see all your numbers in the forge, it's really simple. The forge is where you go to modify and or change Javelins.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Hatefull said:
    Albatroes said:
    Anyone playing anthem, I want you to watch this and then continue playing (Everything you are about to see was captured in-game running in real time):

Worth the wait?

I was going to say INB4 excuses, pictures of fast food vs what was advertised, "everyone does this get over it" from plebingtons, but I was late and I apologize.

Reflexes not as good as a few years back.
      :D

Not sure what your point is. Some small UI changes and maybe that is a difference between PS and PC, not sure, don't care.

Do you play Anthem?
    You mean did I spend $59.99 to see if the launch version of the game was going to be some enormous departure from the demo and what was sold in at E3?

Nope. I'm assuming the punchline is coming. Can't wait.

#YouHaveToBuyTheGameToKnow #TestDrivesDontCount #TwitchIsFakeNews
    Gdemami
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Single player RPG's had real meaning in themselves, even up to my favorite punching bag, DA:I.

MMO's had HUGE amounts of content, even at launch, even if it was diluted.

This "new" hybrid game concept seems truly the worst of both worlds.  I'm not even compelled to spend 15 bucks to try this thing.
    GdemamiScotPalebane
  • axulthrullaxulthrull Member UncommonPosts: 42
    i sit and wonder how the world became such a sh1thole. its because of ppl letting others decide for them what is best.
    Make your own minds up!
    [Deleted User]k61977
  • Rain_DeathravenRain_Deathraven Member UncommonPosts: 87
    "Surprisingly decent story" you guys have extremly low standars ....
    FlyByKnight[Deleted User]Robsolf
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Anyone who has 2 eyeballs and played the demo and isn't fond of what was launched is a sheep who can't make their own decisions. Only chosen non-conformist mavericks have the insight to see the silver lining and not witness any of the bugs that Bioware magically addressed even though they were never there in the first place.
    Gdemami
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • qtaqqtaq Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Geez I mean really when the hell are people gonna quit dissecting every damn game that comes out. I mean I am not a huge fan of EA or BLoware considering the devastation called SWTOR but I mean gawd give it a rest Anthem is not bad it just released and if you don't like then just keep your mouth shut and don't play it. The graphics are awesome the combat is intense and content for just a NEWLY RELEASED GAME IS NOT THAT BAD! Sick and tired of people max leveling in twenty four hours and then bitch about no content really????????? Anthem not a bad game and this review is crap just sayin.
    [Deleted User]cmacqIselink61977[Deleted User]BakgrindRhygarth
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Yup. People blowing this game off have either never played it or don't like this style of game play. The flying and getting from A to B is simply amazing. The geography/scenery is like nothing I've seen before. Go out on a solo freeplay mission and look around. Fly up to a high point and land and then turn and look at the scenery. Then realize you can fly into all of it and it comes alive as you get there.

They have an absolute masterpiece here if it can get the support it needs. Yes they need to change some things, it's far from perfect but the game world and the flight thing are top notch. Those things alone show me where Bioware put their time. Now fill the world you've created with fun things for us to do.
    gunklacker
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited February 2019
    "...and if you like it then just keep your mouth shut and play it."

Let's not silence dissenting opinions just because they disagree.
    Gdemami
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    Anthem was doomed to fail- and this review is spot on!
    Gdemami

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• EbanyEbany Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Good review, though better score than I'd have given.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    edited February 2019
    If you are liking the game all power to you, but you can't expect those who have their doubts not to express them. It seems to me this pattern has happened so many times before that it is hardly a prediction to say: The game has launched too early, is not up to scratch but has the scope to get much better.

I am a fan of anything F/TPS, even though a big fan as well of Bioware RPG I would not get the game for the RP side. It seemed obvious to me that the lore was not what this was about, but it could be a good shooter. That still stands and in a few to several months time when the game has the content it should have had at launch, I may buy it.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Aeander said:
    moshra said:

Hashbrick said:

SBFord said:

Mr.Gutsy said:

Just your typical double standard.

Not in the least. The review and the score are right in line with every other review out there. Professional reviews at Metacritic sit at 23 reviewers with an aggregate score of 61 while 577 users have it at 3.7. 

In the end, every review, no matter what site you visit or what sector you're reading reviews about, are just one person's opinion about something. Yours happens to be different but it is neither more nor less valid than the writer here on this site. It's just different. 

I love how @Hashbrick said it earlier in this thread:

Can we as a community stop being little bitches about everything and anything and just take a review for what it is?  

It's a review, it's immediately opinion based.  Just like any site, pcgamer or otherwise there is one person behind said review.  Also the fact that Athem across the board is getting low scores shows this review falls in line with the others.  It's not wildly different, it's not a 10/10, it's not a conspiracy.  Take it for what it is, another person's opinion based on a scoring system.  That is what it is and that is all it ever was.

If you took reviews seriously, then you'd scan other sites to weigh your own opinion not just focus on one.  Drop the pitchforks people.

I'm glad I hit the nail on the head, but this community lately honestly has been disgusting. More toxic than good. I actually fear for your guys mental health @SBFord and all the staff.  When you constantly post and get nothing but slander and "your opinion is shit" and have to explain why you posted what you posted. 

That's when the spiral starts, you feel unappreciated and it becomes a love/hate relationship.  You no longer put in your all, you no longer care, because why does it even matter, you just going to get people bitching about it anyway.

There's two part to this and I'm not speaking for the community, I'm no representative, but I am rallying and pleading for respect. 

We as a community are not respecting the staff.  It's ok to not like a column or disagree with a top10 or disagree with a sponsored article, whatever have you.

The staff is doing their part, they are posting the latest news, articles, sponsors, reviews, etc.  The community however is not, the role we play is to have engaging discussion.  Does engaging discussion happen?  Absolutely! Is it more rare these days?  Absolutely!  Try to go through a thread without one person calling out the Staff for whatever the reason.

I find it sad that the Staff have to comment and justify what they posted, as if you the user is entitled to only what they want to see and hear.  SBFord doesn't take shit and she will call out anyone that tries to, but she shouldn't have to deal with it in the first place.

Don't make this site like Twitter, don't make this site a cess pool of toxicity.

I went off track of what this discussion is suppose to be about: An Athem Review.  But jesus christ this needed to be said and off my chest.  It has got so bad lately it's been making me sick.

If you feel the need to constantly call out the staff, guess what genius!?!?  THIS SITE ISN'T FOR YOU! MOVE ON!

*drops the mic*

tHis SitE iSn'T fOr YoU!

Whatever you say, guy. Eliminate the numerical scoring, and it will solve this problem. If you are going to use a scoring system, it should be consistent through out the site regardless of the reviewer.

Aeander pointed out something that alot of people in the community agree with. FO 76 got a pass on all of their gamebreaking bugs, and then the review for anthem states the bugs are inexcusable.

That's the thing. I don't have a problem with MMORPG staff. They're great, intelligent people.

The real problem is that community criticism is being taken for toxicity. No, Haskbrick. We aren't being toxic, and your backlash against the backlash isn't helping.

Differences in opinion between reviewers are to be expected, but you're still aggregating those opinions under one roof. It's the editor's job to ensure that some semblance of criteria consistency is applied between the disparate freelance writers that submit to them.

This isn't IGN which has to present itself as coherent and professional through hundreds of reviews every year. Reviews here aren't especially frequent anymore, and we should expect better than having a direct contradiction between two different reviews mere months apart.

Are the bugs excusable or aren't they? Because from my perspective, this site pillaried one game for its bugs, while spending 90% of a multi-page review painting a lovely metaphor of teenage adolescence for a far worse game to excuse far worse bugs. 

I am sick to death of Bethesda Game Studios, one of the worst, laziest, most inept developers in the entire industry, being given a free pass that no other developer enjoys. I vocally predicted even back then that if EA had even a fraction of the bugs and launch issues that Bethesda did, they'd be torn to shreds. And I was right, as usual.
    Couldn't be further from the truth.  You don't think you are being toxic, you don't think the community is toxic.  Facts are facts. Do you want me to go through all the threads over the last month and point out specific references of pure disrespect to the staff?  Cause I'll do it if I need to open your eyes but being how we both frequent this site I'm sure you are aware even if you want to forget and plead ignorance.
    AeanderGdemami
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Hashbrick said:
    Aeander said:
    moshra said:

Hashbrick said:

SBFord said:

Mr.Gutsy said:

Just your typical double standard.

Not in the least. The review and the score are right in line with every other review out there. Professional reviews at Metacritic sit at 23 reviewers with an aggregate score of 61 while 577 users have it at 3.7. 

In the end, every review, no matter what site you visit or what sector you're reading reviews about, are just one person's opinion about something. Yours happens to be different but it is neither more nor less valid than the writer here on this site. It's just different. 

I love how @Hashbrick said it earlier in this thread:

Can we as a community stop being little bitches about everything and anything and just take a review for what it is?  

It's a review, it's immediately opinion based.  Just like any site, pcgamer or otherwise there is one person behind said review.  Also the fact that Athem across the board is getting low scores shows this review falls in line with the others.  It's not wildly different, it's not a 10/10, it's not a conspiracy.  Take it for what it is, another person's opinion based on a scoring system.  That is what it is and that is all it ever was.

If you took reviews seriously, then you'd scan other sites to weigh your own opinion not just focus on one.  Drop the pitchforks people.

I'm glad I hit the nail on the head, but this community lately honestly has been disgusting. More toxic than good. I actually fear for your guys mental health @SBFord and all the staff.  When you constantly post and get nothing but slander and "your opinion is shit" and have to explain why you posted what you posted. 

That's when the spiral starts, you feel unappreciated and it becomes a love/hate relationship.  You no longer put in your all, you no longer care, because why does it even matter, you just going to get people bitching about it anyway.

There's two part to this and I'm not speaking for the community, I'm no representative, but I am rallying and pleading for respect. 

We as a community are not respecting the staff.  It's ok to not like a column or disagree with a top10 or disagree with a sponsored article, whatever have you.

The staff is doing their part, they are posting the latest news, articles, sponsors, reviews, etc.  The community however is not, the role we play is to have engaging discussion.  Does engaging discussion happen?  Absolutely! Is it more rare these days?  Absolutely!  Try to go through a thread without one person calling out the Staff for whatever the reason.

I find it sad that the Staff have to comment and justify what they posted, as if you the user is entitled to only what they want to see and hear.  SBFord doesn't take shit and she will call out anyone that tries to, but she shouldn't have to deal with it in the first place.

Don't make this site like Twitter, don't make this site a cess pool of toxicity.

I went off track of what this discussion is suppose to be about: An Athem Review.  But jesus christ this needed to be said and off my chest.  It has got so bad lately it's been making me sick.

If you feel the need to constantly call out the staff, guess what genius!?!?  THIS SITE ISN'T FOR YOU! MOVE ON!

*drops the mic*

tHis SitE iSn'T fOr YoU!

Whatever you say, guy. Eliminate the numerical scoring, and it will solve this problem. If you are going to use a scoring system, it should be consistent through out the site regardless of the reviewer.

Aeander pointed out something that alot of people in the community agree with. FO 76 got a pass on all of their gamebreaking bugs, and then the review for anthem states the bugs are inexcusable.

That's the thing. I don't have a problem with MMORPG staff. They're great, intelligent people.

The real problem is that community criticism is being taken for toxicity. No, Haskbrick. We aren't being toxic, and your backlash against the backlash isn't helping.

Differences in opinion between reviewers are to be expected, but you're still aggregating those opinions under one roof. It's the editor's job to ensure that some semblance of criteria consistency is applied between the disparate freelance writers that submit to them.

This isn't IGN which has to present itself as coherent and professional through hundreds of reviews every year. Reviews here aren't especially frequent anymore, and we should expect better than having a direct contradiction between two different reviews mere months apart.

Are the bugs excusable or aren't they? Because from my perspective, this site pillaried one game for its bugs, while spending 90% of a multi-page review painting a lovely metaphor of teenage adolescence for a far worse game to excuse far worse bugs. 

I am sick to death of Bethesda Game Studios, one of the worst, laziest, most inept developers in the entire industry, being given a free pass that no other developer enjoys. I vocally predicted even back then that if EA had even a fraction of the bugs and launch issues that Bethesda did, they'd be torn to shreds. And I was right, as usual.
    Couldn't be further from the truth.  You don't think you are being toxic, you don't think the community is toxic.  Facts are facts. Do you want me to go through all the threads over the last month and point out specific references of pure disrespect to the staff?  Cause I'll do it if I need to open your eyes but being how we both frequent this site I'm sure you are aware even if you want to forget and plead ignorance.
    Are you claiming for @Aeander specifically, or in general?

Because if you're speaking in generalities..  It's a public forum.  Kids can sign up here, if we're being realistic.  Trying to direct such a population enjoying the shield of anonymity is an exercise in futility.  The staff can react to remove or censor posts that break the rules, but they can't control what folks post, especially folks who have created an account but aren't a regular; there's no incentive for them to follow any rule, really.  If their account gets banned, they likely won't care much.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I don't hate this game.  I'm disappointed that it was launched unfinished.  But I can wait, I'm in no hurry.
    Gdemami

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    edited February 2019
    So, after the loot "fix" (lets be honest, it was a nerf) I don't find Anthem's game play loop enjoyable at all at end game. Before, I would get 5-7 MW items per stronghold; now, its extremely lucky to get 2.

This might not seem bad on the outside, until you realize that inscriptions are the end-game grind, not MW gear on its own. When gear can roll with inscriptions that don't even apply to the item (like +weapDMG exclusive rolls on skills) AND the drop is such an abyssmal rate it makes it incredibly frustrating to spend 30min+ to get a single drop ... Only to salvage the item because of bad itemization.

What's worse is when you spend 30 mins on getting an item like this ...

0% rolls. Seriously? 
    Post edited by EponyxDamor on
    Gdemami
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    I don't hate this game.  I'm disappointed that it was launched unfinished.  But I can wait, I'm in no hurry.
    That's kind of my opinion as well. Kind of. There are clear disappointments to be had, but I basically got what I expected - a top-notch combat experience to play as a secondary game alongside all of my other gaming endeavors. I doubt it has enough content right now to play as a primary game, but if I get my 60 hours, I'm satisfied.
    ScotOctagon7711Rhygarth
  • KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    So I just wanted to add my cents after actually playing the game. I'm not a fanboy of Anthem and I've played Destiny 1/2 and I play Warframe. Yes the load times are not great, but they are hugely improved from the beta to a tolerable time to about the same as the previously mentioned games, I love Warframe, but still the load times into open areas get frustrating.

I loaded in, took my time and looked around and completed missions without the as quick as I can mentally and actually appreciated the environments and everything going on around me, it really is enjoyable, I'm having a good time and the world is beautiful, the combat is awesome, especially with friends.

Don't just take the word of people knocking a game for trolling sakes, especially those who haven't actually played it, if the game appealed to you for some reason and still does, try it you won't be disappointed, well at least I wasn't and I was on the fence because of the bad reviews at launch.

Gdemami[Deleted User]
    So, after the loot "fix" (lets be honest, it was a nerf) I don't find Anthem's game play loop enjoyable at all at end game. Before, I would get 5-7 MW items per stronghold; now, its extremely lucky to get 2.

This might not seem bad on the outside, until you realize that inscriptions are the end-game grind, not MW gear on its own. When gear can roll with inscriptions that don't even apply to the item (like +weapDMG exclusive rolls on skills) AND the drop is such an abyssmal rate it makes it incredibly frustrating to spend 30min+ to get a single drop ... Only to salvage the item because of bad itemization.

0% rolls. Seriously? 
    I'm still baffled by this. 0% rolls are a unique and incompetent design flaw that I don't think I've ever seen in any game before. 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Aeander said:
    I'm still baffled by this. 0% rolls are a unique and incompetent design flaw that I don't think I've ever seen in any game before. 
    ...or likely a display bug?
    EponyxDamor[Deleted User]
    Gdemami said:
    Aeander said:
    ...or likely a display bug?
    Perhaps. But then is it displaying a modifier that isn't there, or is it displaying the wrong % roll on a modifier that is there?
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited February 2019
    Aeander said:
    Perhaps. But then is it displaying a modifier that isn't there, or is it displaying the wrong % roll on a modifier that is there?
    That easily happens when database query gives no return - it may get displayed as 0.

Only way to find out would be to either look into a code or test it in the game.
    EponyxDamor[Deleted User]FlyByKnight
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Aeander said:

0% rolls. Seriously? 

I think this particular item is bugged.  I found 2 of them, and they both have 0%.