Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Teaching a youngster

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited January 2019 in General Gaming
Dad can I play that game you play ?...... Sure son

Dad: Sit right here and make your self comfortable. 
Put your middle finger on the W key and other hand on the mouse.

Dad: See that guy with the yellow thing above his head.  Go to him and click. 

Son: Whats he saying dad ?

Dad: Doesn't matter.  Click again, and open the map with the m key.

Dad: See that blue spot, go there. 

Son: Like this ? 

Dad: Yes, and don't worry about the monsters following you, they cant harm you.

Son: Ok I'm here dad.... Now what ?

Dad: See that monster doing nothing ?... Approach him and swing using this button on the mouse 

Dad: Keep on swing your doing good, just keep pressing.

Son:  He's down, I did good ? 

Dad: You did great !... Now go back to the guy with the yellow, he has something for you.

Son: <smile> 

Level 30 game play
No need to comment, just saying !! 
CryomatrixPhaserlight

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    No need to comment, just saying !! 
    No need to say either, just watching... https://youtu.be/6bvHXhxHLHw?t=68
    HL presented it already :smile:
    delete5230Maurgrim
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    My son asked about a few games. . he's 5.  I just let him play lego games, Subnautica in creative and ARK with dino damage turned off.  Anything he can explore in.  Turns out he CAN build a base with a controller in Subnautica (this surprised me eventhough I know he is bright).

When he asked about the MMOs I said, "oh. . don't worry (bother) about this game.  Lets play something fun. "

I kind of want to try this game with him but he would find it boring.  he just tried Minecraft (creative) and likes it.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Recently my 5 yo son has played:

(He isn't that good; neither am I, but it's such a badass level I had to share.  It's hard to replicate the feeling of actually playing this game "Distance"; do yourself a favor and check it out).

...and also:

This is a mobile newbie; graphics are a lot better on PC, FWIW.  He refers to it as "that space game" and is actually fairly adept at acquiring targets and shooting at them, some of whom are other players :-)

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    We are past EA wanting to make "games you mum can" play, now its "games a toddler can play". By making it as simple as you can no section of the potential player base is deterred. What too much easy mode does to the gameplay though is obvious; games become unchallenging, repetitive and too alike.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Scot said:
    We are past EA wanting to make "games you mum can" play, now its "games a toddler can play". By making it as simple as you can no section of the potential player base is deterred. What too much easy mode does to the gameplay though is obvious; games become unchallenging, repetitive and too alike.
    That's why having a difficulty curve is a beautiful thing.  Say what you want about Blizzard: they got it right with "easy to learn, hard to master".
    Scot

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    And then the young smart person asks his not so smart dad:
    "Daddy, why are you making me do quests in a level 30 area when I'm level 60 ?"

;)
    Well, being concerned in what you wrote,
    I decoded to check on a few things and make a few phone calls.  Turns out he was a 26 in a level 30 zone....Turns out he's smart too.  He works in Astrophysics and holds two Doctors degrees, one in that, the other in Marine Biology.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Oh it gets much worse,see any ARPG.
    As simple as a fps might APPEAR to be and yes i am seeing more in the way of simple of late,there can be or used to be a LOT more going on.Which is sad that a fps could possibly have a more interactive approach to combat than rpg's that have a lot more at their disposal.

Example that NONE of the arpgs or mmorpgs use?Sound.
    In a fps sound can be a huge asset of course if it is a map that allows it to be a useful tool,outdoor maps and stuff like fortnite do NOT allow for good use of sounds.

Hotspots,nope they do not exist in mmorpgs or arpgs or Fortnite.
    Map control,map knowledge,various types of weaponry like short mid range long range splash.

Now what a rpg can do this of course if removing the mindless quest marker gaming and getting right into combat is the use of TYPES of weapons in the sense of piercing,slashing,blunt etc etc.Then we can have elemental damage and then resistances for both.Then if a game gets real gud it introduces terrain and weather.
    This is why i ALWAYS bring up the topic of DEPTH in system designs.IMO if all your developer can offer you is instances and yellow markers over npc heads,your supporting and playing crappy developer games.
    Then IF that game also has VERY little choice but forces you to pick choices from those few choices,again,stop supporting crappy developers.Another example is altaholic designs=crap.

There is a LOT of room to improve mmorpg's,like a boatload of room,there is no need to think the status dps/tank/heal design is dead ,nope only bad developers that run out of ideas are dead.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Gabriel679Gabriel679 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 15
    hahaa

Son: I wanna play games
    Dad: Have you finished your homework?
    Son: Yes. A while ago...
    Dad: Have you cleaned up your room?
    Son: Yes, long ago
    Dad: Have you washed up the dishes?
    Son: Yes, of course
    Dad: Okay.. Now you're awared to played a free game on mantigames. If you get high score in the next assignment I will buy you one.
    Son: No, I wanna buy it now......
    Dad: No... You have to work harder to get the one you prefer. Now choose between play one free or nothing?
    Son: ..... yes, free one on your fav. I like what you like
    Dad: Okay, turn on your computer. Make sure you have an Internet connection. Choose one game to play. Just one, okay? Then we will go out for some walking

• Um4dBruhUm4dBruh Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 6
    You should let him play starcraft, better brain exercise imho. 
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Asheram said:
    This is why we can't have nice things. 

• MargaretavilleMargaretaville Member UncommonPosts: 72
    edited February 2019
    Yea, Shower with your dad, the future of creative game design...…..

Now you know why I went back to painting 28mm miniatures.

Computer game design should be a crime punishable by life in solitary doing nothing but playing their creation. Maybe then we wouldn't get such crap disguised as "The Vision".

(Okay, maybe once a week give this game designer some time to "Shower with Bubba")
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited February 2019
    I cant tell if youre serious or not. Kids can control a character and kill monsters, but good luck getting them to understand stats, gear, and ability/talent selection. Im sure some can, but that comes much later than the point where they begin to be able to get a character to “function” as you describe, in my experience. Kids are introduced to electronic devices right out of the womb. Dont confuse an apt youngster for poor game design.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    edited March 2019
    My son has enjoyed the Skylander games for a long time. They were a great game for us to play together. He also really likes Axiom Verge. Of course he is running around with my 100% completition guy, but he has fun.

When it comes to teaching a youngster, I watch for where he keeps dying and ask him what he could try differently this time.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    edited March 2019
    My son has enjoyed the Skylander games for a long time. They were a great game for us to play together. He also really likes Axiom Verge. Of course he is running around with my 100% completition guy, but he has fun.

When it comes to teaching a youngster, I watch for where he keeps dying and ask him what he could try differently this time.

I just played Axiom verge the other day. . . it's an exact copy of original metroid on Nintendo. I picked it up free from Epic game store. I love the free games every 2 weeks. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I read the whole OP, every word, but still have no clue what the purpose of this thread is.