Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The western problem

13»

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Phry said:
    Vrika said:
    Scot said:
    Vrika said:
    Phry said:
    Vrika said:
    I bet within 20 years the ratio of electric to gas vehicles will be 50:50
    It'll be a question of battery technology.

Electric engines area already far better than combustion engines, but batteries aren't good enough alternative to how easy and cheap fuel is to store and transfer.
    Don't think they are, when it comes to power:mass ratio petrol engine vehicles are more powerful than electric engine vehicles :/
    That is because of the batteries. For example Tesla S 85 kWh version has 540 kg of batteries.
    You can't put the batteries to one side when discussing electric car technology, they come as a package. But they are still the future, look at those early ones from the twenty years ago to see how far they have come.
    I'm not trying to put it to one side, more like I'm trying to pinpoint the problem that the problem is not electric engines and can't be solved with developing better electric engines, the problem is delivering electricity to the engine.
    Likely it will be something of both, an efficient and hopefully economically viable energy storage medium/delivery system and an advancement in motor efficiency, it would be very wrong to assume that current electric engines are sufficiently energy efficient when it comes to energy usage, nor that further refinement is unnecessary. :/
    Refinement is always necessary, but expensive electric engines like the one you put in a car can have 90% efficiency.

For electric cars to become really good and popular we need improvements in how we deliver electricity to the engine. Improving the engine is something that can be done, but can play only minor role because you can only improve about 10% then you're sitting at the theoretical limit where your engine converts all the electricity into motion.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Gdemami said:
    It is very feasible as long as you charge from home.
    ....which makes it unfeasible for any mass use.
    why is charging at home not feasible. It's the same plug for a dishwasher and drying. Just put one in your garage. Come home from work, plug your car in, wake up next morning, car is charged. 

You pay about $10-12 per 240 miles range. Not bad at all and cheaper than gas. It also depends on your commute. If you commute 300 miles a day then it may not be feasible but if you are like most people with smaller commutes, you should be good. 
    GdemamiMendelcraftseeker
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Some could even open the doors on the tells. Found that kinda funny. 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Gdemami said:
    It is very feasible as long as you charge from home.
    ....which makes it unfeasible for any mass use.
    why is charging at home not feasible. It's the same plug for a dishwasher and drying. Just put one in your garage. Come home from work, plug your car in, wake up next morning, car is charged. 

You pay about $10-12 per 240 miles range. Not bad at all and cheaper than gas. It also depends on your commute. If you commute 300 miles a day then it may not be feasible but if you are like most people with smaller commutes, you should be good. 
    The fuel costs for an electric car are pretty reasonable, compared to gasoline costs, but you definitely need to invest in some electrical improvements at your home.  A dedicated charging outlet, certainly, but that's a one-time cost ($300-$1700) plus installation.  Also, if your car is parked outdoors, some kind of garage was recommended to me by a dealer.  Keeping the connections out of rain (and snow, if you're in that kind of climate) seemed pretty reasonable to me.  Another one-time cost.

The biggest issue I have with the current electric cars is the cost of replacing the batteries every 4 to 5 years.  That can be $4000+.  Maintenance, insurance and repair costs are roughly 21% higher than for internal combustion, too.  It pushes the annual operating costs higher than traditional gasoline engines.  Another big issue is trained mechanics to fix electrical vehicles.  Training, education and experience are lagging behind conventional cars in the repair and maintenance fields.

Analysts at Merrill Lynch project that the initial cost of electronic cars is expected to decrease to less than a traditional counterpart by 2024.  Costs of insurance premiums *should* follow (but who really knows how underwriters will actually react).  It might be cheaper to own and operate an electric car in 2025, and certainly infrastructure and technology improvements should help drive this downward cost.

----------
    Until the range issue is addressed, the electric car is still best suited for short-term commuter trips.  Long range trips are still best handled with gas-powered cars.

Cryomatrix

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I was told that the batteries typically last about a decade.
    craftseeker
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    If the OP could articulate a coherent thought, this post might have been worth reading. I have no idea what he is trying to say.
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    If the OP could articulate a coherent thought, this post might have been worth reading. I have no idea what he is trying to say.

I believe that one of the points the OP is trying to make is that those with the most money and power will try/do whatever is necessary to shutdown anyone with a superior product or any product that successfully rivals their own. It may start with a buyout and if that is unsuccessful the person/company with more money and/or power may either resort to nefarious means, look to legal action so they can crush their rival in court or engage in smear tactics that can ruin them publicly.

For a more specific example of what the OP is referring to check out the South Park episode 'The Entity' where Mr. Garrison invents a vehicle that successfully challenges the automotive industry and is eventually shut down by the government because his speedy, efficient vehicles would put a lot of big companies out of business.

craftseeker

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Scot said:
    It's not a matter of inventing it, but paying for it !
    Any new technology takes time to launch and become the norm, many like electric cars take infrastructure changes in this case places were you can charge your car. That's the main thing holding back electric cars currently. As to the price, the first car produced was not the Model T Ford, that came later.

Technological advances are nearly always expensive for early adopters then given time with greater demand and refinements to how to produce low cost versions the price comes down.
    Actually electric cars have been a thing since 1834. But it wasn't until battery technology improved and alternative energy became important that commercial scale development really kicked off.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_electric_vehicle
    Cryomatrix
    Also battery capacity is not going to improve much. The current storage storage per kilogram is pretty much capped by the physics. Fortunately it is already "good enough", costs will come down and charging rates will improve but the current range figures are about it.

Petrol/gasoline/diesel engines are going to disappear over the next thirty years. Compressed Natural Gas (methane) might be the thing, but don't expect much from hydrogen. Best bet is the one Musk has made with the Tesla and self-driving cars.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I believe that one of the points the OP is trying to make is that those with the most money and power will try/do whatever is necessary to shutdown anyone with a superior product or any product that successfully rivals their own. It may start with a buyout and if that is unsuccessful the person/company with more money and/or power may either resort to nefarious means, look to legal action so they can crush their rival in court or engage in smear tactics that can ruin them publicly.

For a more specific example of what the OP is referring to check out the South Park episode 'The Entity' where Mr. Garrison invents a vehicle that successfully challenges the automotive industry and is eventually shut down by the government because his speedy, efficient vehicles would put a lot of big companies out of business.

Bingo !
    craftseekerBlaze_Rocker
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

Bingo !
    If you can show me how this has actually happened in the creation of electric vehicles and hybrids we might start to take this seriously. I am afraid only having an episode of (the excellent) South Park as an example does not cut it. :)
    Scot said:

Bingo !
    If you can show me how this has actually happened in the creation of electric vehicles and hybrids we might start to take this seriously. I am afraid only having an episode of (the excellent) South Park as an example does not cut it. :)
    In each and every reply, not once has copyrights or trademarks been mentioned, when in fact electric vehicles are now becoming available only because Oil Companies are releasing pattens to the larger manufactures that CAN AFFORD IT !..... even this is limited often to hybrids, and very recent full. Technology is not the problem, unless their experimenting with work around, since electricity it self is not locked down. 

""" Read the post That I replied Bingo too """

It's answered there  !!!   
    craftseeker
    This is a trolling thread, as I was about to create a new thread which would have been trolling because the bait placed in this one/
    Read the post above !!!!!!
    edited February 2019
    This is a trolling thread, as I was about to create a new thread which would have been trolling because the bait placed in this one/
    Read the post above !!!!!!
    sorry kid, you lost this round / I haven't even had a cup coffee yet, that is how bad your post is.
    worthless on getting the point :( Get some coffee and read the post above !
    edited February 2019
    I think you will have to have battery stations to truly make it work for electric cars.  As you can go to one and easily swap battery in and out and keep going.  
    or solar cell sun absorbing paint. #copyright
    Don't be ridiculous, the surface of a car is not optimal for solar panels (or paint!) you would be lucky to get 10% efficiency, far too low to keep a cars battery charged.
    I think you will have to have battery stations to truly make it work for electric cars.  As you can go to one and easily swap battery in and out and keep going.  
    or solar cell sun absorbing paint. #copyright
    Don't be ridiculous, the surface of a car is not optimal for solar panels (or paint!) you would be lucky to get 10% efficiency, far too low to keep a cars battery charged.
    Ok I am going to put it out there, on a road there is a lot of space above the cars, how about a solar sails hybrid. ;)
  • bentenelevenbenteneleven Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    What are you talking about? You can play all day and no one will care about it. 
  • urfismylifeurfismylife Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 9
    the problem with this world is the fact we need good games which is possible to make with the current technology but the big company they refuse to jumb in and you can see there are only a few triple A. we need more people making games so we can benefit from it. also i desperately want people to go into graphics card industry. no doubt nvidia did some innovation in the field, but as the only one of the two major providers, they charge us too high for one. one even more expensive than an iphone. how the world. and also we need more mmorpg games, it's dying! and dont tell me it's not dying because the number playing the game is decreasing day by day. my friends left the game, lots of them! and i want more sites like apkpure and apknite to go into the field. appstore and chplay (like nvidia and amd) are the only two giant store for the world smartphone app. they charge insane piece for the app and benefit of the developer, and that is a problem to slow down the industry
    "Tesla has announced it will start selling a version of its Model 3 in the US at a price of $35,000 (£26,400)"

Getting cheaper.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Scot said:
    "Tesla has announced it will start selling a version of its Model 3 in the US at a price of $35,000 (£26,400)"

Getting cheaper.
    damn, too bad i'm locked into my lease for 3 years or else i'd consider getting another Tesla. 
    Scot
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Gabriel679Gabriel679 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 15
    the biggest issue with the western gaming industry is that big companies are leaving loyal fans behind, lets look at bethesa and blizzard. they were the best and create lots of good games and series. and quite frankly my childhood is with their games, but look at wow and fallout 76 and other games they make. they put us high with expectation and then give us unfinished products or no followed updates for games. they know even if they ignore the game and fan, people will stillfall for it. and it all because of profit, i dont mind paying money for good game, but a want a great service not a one time dilever product. you see this has happened to japanese once and they know how to calm the mod but bethesa and blizard one doesnot care, one makes it worse, so sad for the fact. i also read an article in apknite about how terrible they treat fan. 
    urfismylife
  • urfismylifeurfismylife Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 9
    . they put us high with expectation and then give us unfinished products or no followed updates for games. they know even if they ignore the game and fan, people will stillfall for it.

this line is so true, they need to fix this.