Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Fallout game is best of these 3

124»

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I could combine all 3 in a package deal for $5 and i still wouldn't buy it,they are CRAP apoc styled games to ripoff customers with empty games.I can't imagine the money some people spent that bought all 3 on a whim without looking first.
    Devs don't even care anymore about bad press,they are making millions off each rendition and will likely make millions more on FO4/5/6/7/8/9...

They made multiple millions in the first day of sales,so many just buying on w him,giving them undeserved money,pre orders are the worst consumers.
    Palebane

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    H0urg1ass said:
    Kyleran said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    I put it like this:

Fallout 3 had a fantastic and mostly unforgettable set of side stories/quests.  Probably the best in the entire series.  The quest chains surrounding Tenpenny Tower was one of the first times a video game made me sit back and go "Wait... I caused that to happen?"

That being said, the the main story was a bit predictable, a little on-rails and had a conclusion that was a bit too stark for me.  But honestly, the rest of the game was so damned good, that I forgot about the main story entirely until I had literally run out of side quests to do.

Fallout NV had the best open world of the three and, by far, the best companions.  The available companions in the other titles pale in comparison to the wide ranging and fun to travel with NV companions.

NV also had the best main story.  If you can even call it that.  You can really do a lot with the main story in this game unlike in FO3 and FO4.  There are so many different branching choices with so many different endings that replay ability is extremely high and it doesn't feel artificial at all such as choosing a faction in FO4 felt.

If you love vault diving and finding out the lore behind all of the different vaults, then NV had the best ones of the series.  I love, almost more than anything, exploring a vault and finding out what happened to the occupants during their particular experiments.

Fallout 4 has the best crafting system of the three... by which I mean it actually has a crafting system while the others really didn't.  However, it feels to me as if everything else in the game received far less attention than the building and crafting part of the game.

The main story, for instance, I had figured out within minutes of the opening scenes.  I literally sat back and said to my wife... Oh dear lord, I already know how this ends and the game just started.  She had me tell her, and damned if I wasn't right.

Not only that, but the side stories were just as uninteresting as the main story, and the companions weren't all that compelling to be with.  I found myself not using one for most of the game.

In fact, I didn't so much play Fallout 4 as I played a tower defense game by trying to build settlements that couldn't be raided.

Boston was a boring city.  Far too many doors that couldn't be opened and buildings/houses that couldn't be explored for my tastes.  The game engine is seriously degraded and aging at this point and it's really showing.

Lastly, I never once had a "OMG, that's so fucking awesome!" moment like I had in both FO3 and FNV.  In my opinion, unless you just really want to play a settlement building simulator, then I'd skip FO4 altogether.
    I'd be curious how you think FO4 ended, or rather which ending you chose?

You can ping me a private tell if concerned about spoilers. Pl

I've managed to pull off two endings so far, 3 if you count my "no ending" playthrough.

Funny thing,  on my fourth play through and I'm still finding locations I've never found before,  most notable is vault 75, totally missed it somehow previously.  
    I wasn't ignoring this post, but I had a family emergency very near to posting this so I never got back to you on it.

I chose the "Kill the bastard" ending, if that's non-spoilery enough, and honestly, I only did one playthrough.  I picked the Railroad as my faction, and used the "disguise guy" as my companion most of the time (When I used a companion at all)... which is telling how bad the companions are since I can't even remember his name.

Maybe I'm biased too.  You see, I don't like exploring cities at all.  Just not my thing.  Even in FO:NV, I pretty much only did the bare minimum inside of Vegas and explored every last inch outside of it... and New Vegas is a much better city than FO4's Boston.

Boston is cold, grey and and more grey.  I also felt like I was playing a platformer in Boston.  Jump here, jump there, climb that thing, duck under here and fall through this crack and you'll find another vault!  Nope.  Not how I want to explore.

There's a lot of little reasons, but overall this game just didn't hit any of the right notes for me personally.

I had a way way wayyyy better time in Assassin Creed 3's Boston than I ever had in FO4's Boston.

All of that being said, I have 250 hours into FO4, which is higher than 80% of my steam library, so there was still enough there (Settlement Building) to keep me entertained on some level.
    250 hours is more than any other single player game I've done in modern times except for FO4, which stands over 1200 hours for me.

In my last play through I quit before choosing a side, having never progressed the storyline by not trying to find the institute via the missing scientist questline.

2nd time I've quit without finishing, this time in part because I am now playing FO76 but also because my melee build gave me too much of an advantage, fights became too stupidly easy, I  feared nothing in the wasteland as VATs is hugely overpowered for Agilty built melee. 

Melee in FO76 is much better as VATs works totally different but if you disliked FO4s exploration steer well clear of FO76 as it is much the same, while the settlement building quite different, perhaps not in a good way for you.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• agent_Pagent_P Member CommonPosts: 4
    Like a donkey from that mem I'll shout 'Fallout Shelter'!
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited February 2019
    I chose Fallout 3 because for me it has the best ambiance. I felt like I was actually out in the wasteland more in this game than the other two, which is most important to me for this type of game.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• CitizenX007CitizenX007 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Fallout: New Vegas was the best, by far. I loved them all, but NV was the best, imo.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Palebane said:
    I chose Fallout 3 because for me it has the best ambiance. I felt like I was actually out in the wasteland more in this game than the other two, which is most important to me for this type of game.
    Good reason but i do not feel FO3 comes close to delivering that experience either.If it did then yes i would give it some props.
    IMO all three are a fail at the genre they try to be.FO3 now trying to add in some survival ,too late to start building the game now,you already took their money and those players already moved on.

You were sold less than 1/2 a game in every one of the FO games,however you made the developer happy,made them lots of money for less effort.i am sure they will keep coming back for more if they turn that kind of easy profit.,

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

Yeah, I play female characters for the most part, and they are all "lesbians" when it comes to romantic encounters. 

;)
    Yeah, if I play a female character they are also lesbians (in any game I play)

Clearly there is a part of me that will always be a 16 year old boy. :(
    Or a middle aged lesbian  <3

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Mortal1992Mortal1992 Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    From my experience starting with 3 and playing New Vegas and 4, I would definitely go with 4 but I can't comment on 1 or 2.  4 has the advantage of being the latest game which allows it to have more stuffed into but they all made the combat extremely smooth and more polished than the other games.  The one down side to 4 is that its dialog is significantly stripped down compared to the past games which is a draw back but I believe it makes up for this fault with everything else that makes it a lot better.

Fallout for also has the best crafting system out of all of the games and it makes it extremely easy to use once you get the hang of it (there is basically no tutorial on it so you have to figure it out yourself at first).  It also added building settlements which is a fun addition that allows you to build your own home base.  This can be done quickly without much detail for people that don't want to spend a lot of time on it or you can lose hours of play in building and customizing everything in your settlements.

As for the main story in the games, I've actually only finished Fallout New Vegas's, (Still working on 4, and got two distracted in 3 and then ended up having to return the game to my friend) So I can't at this time really give you details on which main quest line I think is better though the point of no return in New Vegas kind of sucked so I really didn't like that part.

Overall I love all 3 of the Fallouts that I've played but 4 has been the best for me so
  • DandyyDandyy Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    I both love and hate how Bethesda handled the main quests. As you may have noticed, each main quest in Fallout series consists of two parts:
    1)find the McGuffin (chip, GECK, father)
    2)deal with greater danger and save the world.
    The problem is how it's poorly wrapped in the latest games.