Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The western problem

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Phry said:
    Scot said:
    What does any of this have to do with mmorpgs?
    I think it may be that if any of the indie MMOs could be a real success the men in black are going to appear to shut them down. Will Smith obviously doesn't have anything better to do. :)
    After his more recent cringeworthy presence as a Genie, he probably doesn't. :p
    That genie looks like a CGI, body-painted Will Smith recovering from a recent steroid addiction. :D 
    PhryGobstopper3D

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I think you will have to have battery stations to truly make it work for electric cars.  As you can go to one and easily swap battery in and out and keep going.  
    Are you serious? You know how much those batteries weigh? Plus, if you look at the chassis of a Tesla, the battery is basically riding under the whole car. 

Tesla superchargers charge about 2 to 5 miles of range per minute and are necessary mainly for long trips where you kind of want to like use the restroom and such.
    Scotcraftseeker
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    mmolou said:
    Seem's to me, that in the reality @delete5230 lives in, Tesla does not exist....
    Teslas are a luxury product for people with more money than sense. 

Electric cars aren't going to catch on any time soon. They have a limited battery and limited range, which will keep most people from buying them until there are rapid charging stations located everywhere they want to go. However, nobody is going to put in rapid charging stations for a car that nobody drives because there are no rapid charging stations for them.
    You are so wrong. As a former Tesla owner (model S) the car was the best car ever. I got rid of it because Musk changed the autopilot and I needed money for my business (that my wife fucking prevented me from doing). 

More companies are coming out with electric cars. Kia and Porsche are next with fully electric cars. Kia, Honda, Hyundai recently joined the plug-in hybrid model. I actually own a Honda Clarity Plug-in right now. It drives like an electric car for the first 46 miles which is all I care about. Once you go fully electric, all ICE cars drive like shit. 

In reference to your ignorant comment about rapid charging stations. Tesla has a huge advantage over other car companies because of their supercharger network. I can literally drive from California to Boston for free on the Tesla super charger network. 

Other cares, like Chevy Bolt have rapid charging stations being put in places all the time. More regular parking spots are getting electric cars too. Perhaps, you don't see it as you don't live in California. 

Also, technology is getting better, and soon cars will be coming with 400 miles of range. From my experience with Tesla, 240 miles is about the minimum you need to be fine. For a daily commute is more than fine, the problem comes from when I had to go to LA or San Diego from where I live now. I could get there on one charge but then I'd need to charge it to get back. I usually stopped at the Cabazon chargers was my most popular spot or Temecula. 

Overall, Caffynated, you are so wrong, i am not sure how you got your information. Did you even research it? Look at electric charging spots (not Tesla) and then put it in (with Teslas) and it dots the map. Of course, if you are in the midwest or bumble fuck south, it'll be sparse, but in other countries electric is all the way. 

I'm leasing my silly Honda Clarity plug-in (go go $1,500 clean vehicle rebate) for 3 years while I wait for Teslas to decrease in price as other companies come up with their cars (Porsche/Kia) and the range goes up to about 300-400. Then i'll go back to Tesla. Best car you will ever drive in your life. 

The high end full option Teslas have a battery range of 330 miles which is really good. 240 as i say is absolute minimum in a fully electric car. 

Electric cars are the future. Plus, with electric cars, acceleration is way better, cheaper mileage basically, and instant torque. Plus, they are so smooth. Seriously, i fucked myself by getting a Tesla model S as all cars suck in comparison to it. 

Overall, please tell me how did you come up with your information? I mean, if it was such a dumb technology, why is Porsche/Kia making fully electric ones. Hell, Chevy Bolt was made a few years ago. 

An impressive post, you manage to insult me for being "wrong" and agree that I'm right in the space of a few sentences.

Here's a map that tracks fast charging stations nationwide. There's fewer than 200 stations to service a country of nearly 400,000,000 people. There's roughly 1,000 times as many gas stations, and you can fill up your tank in 5 minutes while a fast charge station takes 20-60.

The electric car is a novelty, and that isn't going to change any time soon.

Horusra
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    mmolou said:
    Seem's to me, that in the reality @delete5230 lives in, Tesla does not exist....

Electric cars aren't going to catch on any time soon. They have a limited battery and limited range, which will keep most people from buying them until there are rapid charging stations located everywhere they want to go. However, nobody is going to put in rapid charging stations for a car that nobody drives because there are no rapid charging stations for them.
    Lol how long ago did you last read a science article? 20 years ago?

Battery and range has long since gone as a problem for electric cars... now it is just a problem of weight, recharge time and availability of the recharge stations (and also WHERE the power of the recharge stations comes from - if it comes from fossil fuel obviously that lessens the problem on environment but doesn't solve it in the long run).
    CaffynatedScotcraftseeker
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Tesla is the future of bankruptcy.  They make Blizzard's stock slump smell like roses.
    Blaze_RockerGdemami
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I bet within 20 years the ratio of electric to gas vehicles will be 50:50
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.

An impressive post, you manage to insult me for being "wrong" and agree that I'm right in the space of a few sentences.

Here's a map that tracks fast charging stations nationwide. There's fewer than 200 stations to service a country of nearly 400,000,000 people. There's roughly 1,000 times as many gas stations, and you can fill up your tank in 5 minutes while a fast charge station takes 20-60.

apologies for insulting you but at the end of the day, the momentum is coming for electric cars. They will be everywhere. 
    Palebane
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Are you serious? You know how much those batteries weigh? Plus, if you look at the chassis of a Tesla, the battery is basically riding under the whole car. 

Tesla superchargers charge about 2 to 5 miles of range per minute and are necessary mainly for long trips where you kind of want to like use the restroom and such.
    ...and you are serious?

Your "counter argument" is silly.

5 miles / minute recharge time is not even remotely feasible for any mass use.
    edited February 2019
    Gdemami said:

...and you are serious?

Your "counter argument" is silly.

5 miles / minute recharge time is not even remotely feasible for any mass use.
    have you owned a Tesla? And actually it is. 

Because after 15 minutes of charging = you'll have about 50-75 miles of range. That should get to wherever else you need to go for final destination or to get to next station. 

Plus, once you buy a Tesla, you should put in the 240 V electrical outlet and charge from home. 

It is very feasible as long as you charge from home. Also, they are located in great places. Trust me, i'm getting a fully electric car once my silly lease ends in 3 years. 
    Post edited by Cryomatrix on
    Gdemamicraftseeker
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    It is very feasible as long as you charge from home.
    ....which makes it unfeasible for any mass use.
    PhryAdamantineCaffynated
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    Horusra said:
    Tesla is the future of bankruptcy.  They make Blizzard's stock slump smell like roses.
    Many companies that have led technological change have gone under, the ones that don't become world leaders. I guess it is worth the risk. :)
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited February 2019

This all depends on if the Oil Companies lets them $$$ 

* Same goes for mmorpg's, and thats the entire nature of this post *
    Gdemami
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

This all depends on if the Oil Companies lets them $$$ 

* Same goes for mmorpg's, and thats the entire nature of this post *
    The oil companies are probably laughing, in the end it all becomes an economic equation, petrol isn't going out of fashion any time soon so its entirely feasible that the only real changes in the next 100 years are more about fuel efficiency. Electric cars are the equivalent of the VR, an expensive gizmo with limitations, when it comes to perfomance though monitors are better, as are petrol engines, hell of a lot cheaper too. :p
    Gobstopper3D
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    It'll be a question of battery technology.

Electric engines area already far better than combustion engines, but batteries aren't good enough alternative to how easy and cheap fuel is to store and transfer.

Vrika said:

Electric engines area already far better than combustion engines, but batteries aren't good enough alternative to how easy and cheap fuel is to store and transfer.
    Don't think they are, when it comes to power:mass ratio petrol engine vehicles are more powerful than electric engine vehicles :/
    edited February 2019
    Phry said:
    Vrika said:

Don't think they are, when it comes to power:mass ratio petrol engine vehicles are more powerful than electric engine vehicles :/
    Not sure electric is better, it is a matter of how fast do you need to go in a city? When factories were moved out of city centres it was for pollution not to make it easier for workers to get to them. Such changes always have a cost. For commercial vehicles for now I would recommend petrol, but then you do have heavy infrastructure costs running two systems.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Gdemami said:
    I wouldn't mind an electric car with integrated solar panels.

Phry said:
    Vrika said:

That is because of the batteries. For example Tesla S 85 kWh version has 540 kg of batteries.

Scot said:
    Phry said:
    Vrika said:

Not sure electric is better, it is a matter of how fast do you need to go in a city? When factories were moved out of city centres it was for pollution not to make it easier for workers to get to them. Such changes always have a cost. For commercial vehicles for now I would recommend petrol, but then you do have heavy infrastructure costs running two systems.
    The pollution argument doesn't really favour electric vehicles either, as electricity is generated causing pollution also, there is also the issue with the batteries which have their own pollution issues from both ends of the production cycle creation through to ultimate disposal, in short they are not 'green' in any sense of the word, thats before you get into the whole waste energy due to losses when recharging, they are not 100% efficient after all. When it comes to petrol engines, the pollution factor is really at the refinery, we've come a long way from the model T ford after all and catalytic converters are a thing, until there are better ways of generating electricity and more efficient batteries, petrol and diesel are probably here to stay, fortunately since we now know that oil is not dinosaur juice and is unlikely to run out any time soon, we have the time to find valid alternatives. ;)
    Vrika said:
    Phry said:
    Vrika said:

That is because of the batteries. For example Tesla S 85 kWh version has 540 kg of batteries.
    You can't put the batteries to one side when discussing electric car technology, they come as a package. But they are still the future, look at those early ones from the twenty years ago to see how far they have come.
    Scot said:
    Vrika said:
    Phry said:
    Vrika said:

You can't put the batteries to one side when discussing electric car technology, they come as a package. But they are still the future, look at those early ones from the twenty years ago to see how far they have come.
    Batteries, of a sort, might be the future, but likely not as we currently perceive them. The technology has to advance significantly before 'batteries' become viable, they really do need a huge advance in energy storage technology to happen first. ;)
    Gdemami said:
    I wouldn't mind an electric car with integrated solar panels.
    Solar panels don't produce enough energy. You'd be lucky if you could drive 20 km/day with what they produce.

It's much more effective to cover the roof of your house with solar panels and then use those panels to charge your electric car.
    rojoArcueidScotCryomatrix

edited February 2019
    Scot said:
    Vrika said:
    Phry said:
    Vrika said:

I'm not trying to put it to one side, more like I'm trying to pinpoint the problem that the problem is not electric engines and can't be solved with developing better electric engines, the problem is delivering electricity to the engine.
    Scot

Vrika said:
    Scot said:
    Vrika said:
    Phry said:
    Vrika said:

I'm not trying to put it to one side, more like I'm trying to pinpoint the problem that the problem is not electric engines and can't be solved with developing better electric engines, the problem is delivering electricity to the engine.
    Likely it will be something of both, an efficient and hopefully economically viable energy storage medium/delivery system and an advancement in motor efficiency, it would be very wrong to assume that current electric engines are sufficiently energy efficient when it comes to energy usage, nor that further refinement is unnecessary. :/
    mmolou said:

You are so wrong. As a former Tesla owner (model S) the car was the best car ever. I got rid of it because Musk changed the autopilot and I needed money for my business (that my wife fucking prevented me from doing). 

More companies are coming out with electric cars. Kia and Porsche are next with fully electric cars. Kia, Honda, Hyundai recently joined the plug-in hybrid model. I actually own a Honda Clarity Plug-in right now. It drives like an electric car for the first 46 miles which is all I care about. Once you go fully electric, all ICE cars drive like shit. 

In reference to your ignorant comment about rapid charging stations. Tesla has a huge advantage over other car companies because of their supercharger network. I can literally drive from California to Boston for free on the Tesla super charger network. 

Other cares, like Chevy Bolt have rapid charging stations being put in places all the time. More regular parking spots are getting electric cars too. Perhaps, you don't see it as you don't live in California. 

Also, technology is getting better, and soon cars will be coming with 400 miles of range. From my experience with Tesla, 240 miles is about the minimum you need to be fine. For a daily commute is more than fine, the problem comes from when I had to go to LA or San Diego from where I live now. I could get there on one charge but then I'd need to charge it to get back. I usually stopped at the Cabazon chargers was my most popular spot or Temecula. 

Overall, Caffynated, you are so wrong, i am not sure how you got your information. Did you even research it? Look at electric charging spots (not Tesla) and then put it in (with Teslas) and it dots the map. Of course, if you are in the midwest or bumble fuck south, it'll be sparse, but in other countries electric is all the way. 

I'm leasing my silly Honda Clarity plug-in (go go $1,500 clean vehicle rebate) for 3 years while I wait for Teslas to decrease in price as other companies come up with their cars (Porsche/Kia) and the range goes up to about 300-400. Then i'll go back to Tesla. Best car you will ever drive in your life. 

The high end full option Teslas have a battery range of 330 miles which is really good. 240 as i say is absolute minimum in a fully electric car. 

Electric cars are the future. Plus, with electric cars, acceleration is way better, cheaper mileage basically, and instant torque. Plus, they are so smooth. Seriously, i fucked myself by getting a Tesla model S as all cars suck in comparison to it. 

Overall, please tell me how did you come up with your information? I mean, if it was such a dumb technology, why is Porsche/Kia making fully electric ones. Hell, Chevy Bolt was made a few years ago. 

How old is that map? It currently looks like this:

Cryomatrix