Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO: Nobody with Windows 7 can access the new marketplace

2»

Comments

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Windows 10 LTSB is the answer. Hell I am still waiting on my Vista refund so I havn't bought Windows since 2006.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Joke all you want. OP is right. Telling a 35% market share to f#$% off on a feature isn't bright at all. Considering the game was in dev around 2010...

Does that control for how many companies might be using Windows 7?  Those folks aren't going to be launching BDO anytime soon, Win7 or Win10.  As of last year, a survey of IT professionals indicated roughly 40% reported the company still uses Windows 7 (https://www.itproportal.com/news/businesses-still-running-windows-7-despite-end-of-service-coming-soon/).  Those employees can, generally, surf the web from said desktops (I know I've never been in a job, even in the military, where the company-owned desktops couldn't access the web through a browser).

I couldn't find data that attempted to control for or delineate home users for personal recreation/business versus users on their work desktops.
    It's based on general page visitor stats from across 2 million+ websites. It's not niche.

At the same time PC Gamers are a different beast. The more staunch/savy PC gamers don't just flock to an OS because somebody says to (a Korean developer none the less) especially when they're in total control of an already existing "works fine" environment.

For me, I'm only on Win 10 on this machine (laptop) because it was brand new and I didn't feel like clashing with the manufacturer. On my built out rig, it's Win 7 and it's absolutely customized and set up how I want it to be. I wouldn't just "upgrade" to Win 10 on that unless there was a good reason and I'd do a clean install.
    alkarionlog
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Joke all you want. OP is right. Telling a 35% market share to f#$% off on a feature isn't bright at all. Considering the game was in dev around 2010...

Does that control for how many companies might be using Windows 7?  Those folks aren't going to be launching BDO anytime soon, Win7 or Win10.  As of last year, a survey of IT professionals indicated roughly 40% reported the company still uses Windows 7 (https://www.itproportal.com/news/businesses-still-running-windows-7-despite-end-of-service-coming-soon/).  Those employees can, generally, surf the web from said desktops (I know I've never been in a job, even in the military, where the company-owned desktops couldn't access the web through a browser).

I couldn't find data that attempted to control for or delineate home users for personal recreation/business versus users on their work desktops.
    It's based on general page visitor stats from across 2 million+ websites. It's not niche.

At the same time PC Gamers are a different beast. The more staunch/savy PC gamers don't just flock to an OS because somebody says to (a Korean developer none the less) especially when they're in total control of an already existing "works fine" environment.

For me, I'm only on Win 10 on this machine (laptop) because it was brand new and I didn't feel like clashing with the manufacturer. On my built out rig, it's Win 7 and it's absolutely customized and set up how I want it to be. I wouldn't just "upgrade" to Win 10 on that unless there was a good reason and I'd do a clean install.
    I get you, I'm just not one that makes a lot of modifications to my OS.  I never considered a need for my OS to do a whole lot beyond work as expected when I boot the PC and stay the hell outta my way (so to speak, with regards to obnoxious things like pop up alerts and such).  I've had no more issues with that on Windows 10 as I have any other version of Windows, personally.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

That was my thought as well. And do I recall correctly that companies didn't get the free update? If companies are a large % of the PCs left running Win7 many may bite the bullet when the security updates stop.

If it isn't companies that's an awful lot of home users running old cpu/mobo combinations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited February 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    bhug said:
    shh don't say that, its the new thingy it can't be bad, some people like to follow trends and stay ignorant

I get you, I'm just not one that makes a lot of modifications to my OS.  I never considered a need for my OS to do a whole lot beyond work as expected when I boot the PC and stay the hell outta my way (so to speak, with regards to obnoxious things like pop up alerts and such).  I've had no more issues with that on Windows 10 as I have any other version of Windows, personally.

Yeah agreed. W10 has been fine for me. Not sure what is going on with some people's systems where W10 has done them wrong but I get it, some just like what they like and I am glad there are more than just W10 as options. 
    From my experience it becomes expensive to have attention devoted to multiple operating systems for one game. Some things play nice with most while others become increasingly difficult to manage. It really depends on the project and also the company that is running the project and how lean they are running. Some times it is basic economics. 
    I mean W10 is used by almost 64% of the Steam user base plus all those on Xbox One which BDO is on and those not on Steam running W10. That's a good chunk. 

here is the deal I ahve in my company 6 computers, 2 on win 7 3 on xp and 1 on win 10, guess the ones who gives me problem time to time again?

companys don't tend to update softwares like that is generate costs, with in a lot of cases are not needed, and if you deal with goverment programs too, they hardly work on new hardware and software, so ahving a dated machine to run it saves a lot of problem,

but again a lot of people love to toss they say without knowledge, hell some people prefer to live as a slave then be free since being a slave is safer
    Gdemami
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Cash registers are still running on Win XP.  Heavily restricted XP but still XP.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited February 2019
    Grunty said:
    Cash registers are still running on Win XP.  Heavily restricted XP but still XP.
    Yep and many places are still using "RF-ID" Technology which can easily be cloned, many people don't think about it, but its a serious problem.

Schools, Hospitals, Doctors office etc, actually use RF-ID technology to enter the buildings, problem is anyone who clones can clone one can get in the least access to a building, and at worst access to the computer terminals by physical access with a cloned RF-ID card.

The worst is people leaving open USB ports, and Ethernet ports around their business too these can be used to compromise private information of many and all can be researched online...

Also Default Passwords, and easy hacking because of outdated firmware and leaving equipment in plain view so people know exactly what you are using.

Using Windows XP on a cash-register / pc running out-dated versions of windows makes the whole Server On A  Stick, and hackings so much easier.

Every wonder why identity theft is such a major problem these are part of the reasons to why.

Running out-dated technology can also put people at serious risk too in too many ways to describe.