Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

True Gaming?

N3koAsylumN3koAsylum Member UncommonPosts: 5
Bare with me on this guys.

It's been about a year now since I've built my own computer for gaming (obviously). I had the money, the time, so why not try out certain games I couldn't run before. In the midst of ordering I couldn't help but be psyched about it all. Eventually, the parts came and I began my quest and after completion, I booted up my system and began downloading all the games I wanted to test. RPGS, MMORPGS, FPS, MOBA, it was quite diverse. Then, after a while (now) I just feel worn out I suppose? There has yet to be a game that truly captivates me or even intrigues me. The keyword is 'me', and I say that because in the past I've been looking and trying out games that both my friends and I would enjoy (mostly my friends). The only problem with that is that everyone's not that versatile like I am. So I opted to stick to single player games since it's made to be enjoyed by a single player. Yet, it's still not satisfying. Maybe it's me? Maybe I should just find something else to do.

Comments

• glowenglowen Member CommonPosts: 6
    The more you play, the more you start realizing that the games are only enjoyable when you immerse yourself and let go of reality, and stop questioning the logic on the storyline etc. The more you played for a longer periods, it starts to feel as if you are playing same game in different texture pack. So the joy of gaming drops down eventually. 

What worked for me is, like you mentioned, doing something else totally different. If you like reading, painting or music, go through new releases, find new genres to listen to. Doodle some paintings, read some stories. Immerse yourself in different realities other than gaming. You will not lose anything, might just find out alternatives for gaming, it worked for me at least. I go for a run, play some guitar.

Your mind has limits, when neural network is overloaded by the same patterns, you will stop getting dopamine, so gaming will never satisfy you unless you forget some things. :)
    Octagon7711azarhalJeffSpicoliScotkjempffSteelhelmAmatheCryomatrix
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I find most games have things I like and dislike in them.  So for MMO's I tend to only play those parts I really enjoy and leave the rest alone or in DLC's only get the ones that appear like they will be enjoyable.  For me gone are the days of forcing myself through parts of games I dislike just for mini-maxing.
    Palebane

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    Buy a PS4, then play through the Dark Souls series. Problem solved.
  • rickysrickys Member CommonPosts: 1
    True Gaming is Playing games with friends and family. MMORPGs square measure funny things. they need the power to place you in a very Brobdingnagian world stuffed with thousands of people and you'll play them nearly infinitely while not reaching the tip. Their following is large and immensely loyal. The experiences vary between robot MMORPGs quite bit. in addition, it will take your time before smart MMORPGs extremely show their true colours.

Thus, it additionally makes it somewhat troublesome to remain abreast of the most recent smart ones. In any case, here square measure the most effective MMORPGs for Android! Please note, all of those use a freemium model for customizations, weapons, etc. There aren’t any smart MMORPGs with a subscription model the same as World of Warcraft that we’re attentive to. We have top mmorpg games these games are very addictive as well as interesting to play.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

It's been about a year now since I've built my own computer for gaming (obviously). I had the money, the time, so why not try out certain games I couldn't run before. In the midst of ordering I couldn't help but be psyched about it all. Eventually, the parts came and I began my quest and after completion, I booted up my system and began downloading all the games I wanted to test. RPGS, MMORPGS, FPS, MOBA, it was quite diverse. Then, after a while (now) I just feel worn out I suppose? There has yet to be a game that truly captivates me or even intrigues me. The keyword is 'me', and I say that because in the past I've been looking and trying out games that both my friends and I would enjoy (mostly my friends). The only problem with that is that everyone's not that versatile like I am. So I opted to stick to single player games since it's made to be enjoyed by a single player. Yet, it's still not satisfying. Maybe it's me? Maybe I should just find something else to do.
    What do you find captivating, or even intriguing?

To find what you seek you must first know it. If you do know and can describe it, doing so here may lead to suggestions as to which games provide it.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    glowen said:
    The more you play, the more you start realizing that the games are only enjoyable when you immerse yourself and let go of reality, and stop questioning the logic on the storyline etc. The more you played for a longer periods, it starts to feel as if you are playing same game in different texture pack. So the joy of gaming drops down eventually. 

What worked for me is, like you mentioned, doing something else totally different. If you like reading, painting or music, go through new releases, find new genres to listen to. Doodle some paintings, read some stories. Immerse yourself in different realities other than gaming. You will not lose anything, might just find out alternatives for gaming, it worked for me at least. I go for a run, play some guitar.

Your mind has limits, when neural network is overloaded by the same patterns, you will stop getting dopamine, so gaming will never satisfy you unless you forget some things. :)
    TLDR : You need a break from gaming, Glowen is absolutely correct. OP this happens to me from time to time, usually a 2-4 week break from gaming does the trick and as glowen said that dopamine rush comes back.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I think you need to take a break from gaming, I have done this myself about three times in the past ten years. The duration was one to three months and it really reset my batteries for gaming.

If you do too much of anything it gets boring, including entertainment, you need to find something new to do or take up other pastimes you like to stand in while recharging.
    rojoArcueid
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Sounds like the OP made a job out of gaming.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    glowen said:

TLDR : You need a break from gaming, Glowen is absolutely correct. OP this happens to me from time to time, usually a 2-4 week break from gaming does the trick and as glowen said that dopamine rush comes back.
    Lol , i thought for sure Spicolli would advise ..

"Dude you need some good buds .."
    squibbly
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Maybe.

What games have you loved in the past. That might help.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    When I get to that point I just stop playing games for a couple days or a week. Its amazing how standards diminish over time.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Ya know.. I am one of those guys that gives the dogs food as I cook, little bits here and there, and I was holding a bit of chicken in one hand and gave the dog a small bit of cheese.. while the dog ate the cheese they kept looking at the chicken, and not just enjoying the cheese.

That might be your problem.. you put too many games on your system, and are looking for what the next one might be, as opposed to enjoying what you doing with the one you are playing.

Anyway..that is just a thought.

However, to be honest, it's better for you get a vibe for what you want from a game, and look to see if that is out there.

To use an example, Battle Royal games are very popular because a lot of people seem to enjoy challenging twitch based combat.

But, again, you might find a gem where you least expect it, like for example, I really loved playing Trove, and have been now forever hunting for a game like it, with better graphics because my static didn't like the voxel graphics of Trove.

But I think you should really think about what you want from a game.. and good way to work this, is take one single thing, something that is a total deal breaker or maker.. and focus on that.. 
    katzklaw
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    If you have taken that long of a break, and still nothing pleases you, you may need to extend that break until something ground breaking comes out. Having fun shouldn't be forced. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Can you guys stop getting banned, it is difficult to focus in on what a poster you know is saying when your picture is replaced by a red square. :)
    SteelhelmCryomatrixkitaradSovrath[Deleted User][Deleted User]katzklawKyleranAlBQuirkyPhry
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Scot said:
    Can you guys stop getting banned, it is difficult to focus in on what a poster you know is saying when your picture is replaced by a red square. :)
    I kind of miss Eldurian and that SeanMCAD guy. I barely read their posts, but once one of them got into a thread, there was back and forth for like 10 pages. I shocked myself the other day by getting into a brief back and forth with another poster. Usually, I don't give a shit enough to even bother. 
    KyleranPhry
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    Scot said:
    I kind of miss Eldurian and that SeanMCAD guy. I barely read their posts, but once one of them got into a thread, there was back and forth for like 10 pages. I shocked myself the other day by getting into a brief back and forth with another poster. Usually, I don't give a shit enough to even bother. 
    We have all got carried away sometime, I pride myself that I have only had a couple of warnings on here. :)
    Kyleran
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Scot said:
    It's a great time killer though. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    OP you and your scenario is exactly what i have been saying about mobile gaming and why it does so well.People in love with their cell phones,they will buy literally anything to warrant using it.
    Same goes for pc gaming,buy that spiffy new machine and feel the the need to buy everything,even games you would normally look the other way.

I guess i ma just too much a REAL gamer,i see a good game i can play that one game for a very long time,i never feel the need to keep buying one game after another.

I can see that the very high majority of gamer's must be very bored,they just buy every new game that comes out and being they never stick around long,says they really never liked their purchases.

I am not comparing the quality of a game to the past but imo now a days is the WORST time to buy games,developers might be selling you games better than the 90's but not as good as 2019 says they should be,everyone is a con artist in the game industry.

Be dilligent,be wise,have a set criteria you want to see from a game before buying it,don't just buy everything that pops up because you have a new cell phone or new graphics card or because it is the popular flavor of the day.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• katzklawkatzklaw Member UncommonPosts: 101
    yer missing the stuff the mods delete...  :D
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Wizardry said:
    OP you and your scenario is exactly what i have been saying about mobile gaming and why it does so well.People in love with their cell phones,they will buy literally anything to warrant using it.
    Same goes for pc gaming,buy that spiffy new machine and feel the the need to buy everything,even games you would normally look the other way.

I guess i ma just too much a REAL gamer,i see a good game i can play that one game for a very long time,i never feel the need to keep buying one game after another.

I can see that the very high majority of gamer's must be very bored,they just buy every new game that comes out and being they never stick around long,says they really never liked their purchases.

I am not comparing the quality of a game to the past but imo now a days is the WORST time to buy games,developers might be selling you games better than the 90's but not as good as 2019 says they should be,everyone is a con artist in the game industry.

Be dilligent,be wise,have a set criteria you want to see from a game before buying it,don't just buy everything that pops up because you have a new cell phone or new graphics card or because it is the popular flavor of the day.
    Dude, people dont play mobile games to justify using their spiffy phones. They play mobile games because people always have the phones, you can play anywhere and at any time, waiting in line, killing time, boring convo at dinner, hell watching sports, playing at work depending on the job, during lunch break etc.

That is why people play games on phones. Overall ease of playing. 

I cant imagine people are like, woohoo just bought the latest cell phone now i can play games i couldnt play before . . . 
    Scot[Deleted User]
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Thimbleweed Park. From the creators of Monkey Island and Manic Mansion. No body makes games like this any more - says the blurb. (Maybe there's a reason!!!).

Anyway its a point and click adventure game that is - indeed - a blast from the past. 

Maybe this is a single player game for you. Or maybe it isn't. Its currently free from the Epic Games store though so easy to find out if you haven't tried it.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Scot said:
    Just for giggles, we should all copy that avatar and use it for our own! Then, we'll ALL be banned :)
    PhryPalebane

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Wizardry said:

Dude, people dont play mobile games to justify using their spiffy phones. They play mobile games because people always have the phones, you can play anywhere and at any time, waiting in line, killing time, boring convo at dinner, hell watching sports, playing at work depending on the job, during lunch break etc.

That is why people play games on phones. Overall ease of playing. 

I cant imagine people are like, woohoo just bought the latest cell phone now i can play games i couldnt play before . . . 
    I don't because every app wants access to my contacts. Why the hell would I give them that? But people are so hard up, they will agree to anything, I guess :)
    PhryCaffynated

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Scot said:
    Because echo chambers are boring, without conflicting arguments there would be no real discussion, hopefully we as gamers don't ever enter the realm where you are afraid of having the 'wrong' opinion on something. :p
    ScotCryomatrix