Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanilla/TBC Wow game design Versus Modern Wow game design, which do you prefer?

0107sj0107sj Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5
I will probably always love World of Warcraft but I find it impossible to get into as it is right now and to be the fixes seem so damn obvious but there must be a reason why they don't implement them. So I figured I'd check if I am really alone in this.

A lt of wows problems right now look smth like this(imo):

-The game has no meaningful grinds(everyone gets everything, such as every rep being handed to you)
-Gear with titanforging and Warforging is an utter RNG nightmare
-Catch-ups erase any prior patch so that you are not playing the expansion but the patch instead.
- The base content of the game is embarrassingly easy. 
- Its not an RPG anymore due to the endless amount of streamlining they do to make it accessible to literally everyone on the planet.
- Classes have been increasingly simplified over the past years.
- All content is designed to be easily beaten (at a base level, so lfr, dungeons, questing, open world etc.)

I think this article sums it up nicely:

-I'd suggest people should get the best gear for doing the hardest content and gear should matter and not scale in any type of content.
-I also think that they need to add more complicated and deep character progression(replace the talent tree)
-Make everything in the world hit ALOT harder. A world without danger just feels hollow.
-Remove LFR, normal mode raiding right now is more than easy enough to justify the removal of LFR.
-Add in old flavor spells to classes like ritual of doom to Warlocks and shit.
- Add more exclusive rewards to hard content, make people motivated about something other than hoping for Titanforged LFR gear.
- Bring the catch-up gear down to the levels it was at in TBC, no reason to make all prior content useless each new patch.
- Remove phasing from the world or at least from capital cities, the world feels so empty right now. Keep phasing in place for when new xpacs hit and stuff.

Am I bonkers or on to something? Which type of MMORPG do you prefer? The more old school approach or the more accessible one?

deniter

Best Answers

• MargraveMargrave RarePosts: 1,362
    Answer ✓
    TBC WoW Game Design for me.
  • GaladournGaladourn RarePosts: 1,813
    Answer ✓
    Vanilla WoW. One world, one difficulty level for all. No dailies. No gear tokens. No flying.

Axxar
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2019 Answer ✓
    When you have Ghostcrawler admitting LFR was a mistake (the guy who implemented it), you have your answer to modern today wow and how 'good' it is.

I'm also getting tired of people saying how 'good' Legion was when half the stuff we had in the game were literally stripped to go into the artifact system. People dont even remember the passives we had in WoD before Legion which got removed and put into the artifact system or the pvp only side just so we could 're-learn' them. Anyone can call WoD garbage if they want but they overlook that was the last time we actually got some form of permanent character progression. As 'good' as legion was, at the end of it, all you got were weapon type specific skins (and of course a lot of gold). Of course people dont complain as long as they have what they used to in one way or the other.
    Axxar

Answers

• 0107sj0107sj Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    Albatroes said:
    When you have Ghostcrawler admitting LFR was a mistake (the guy who implemented it), you have your answer to modern today wow and how 'good' it is.
    Agreed. Problem is though that its hard to remove once implemented as it would cause a huge outcry from those who consider it the endgame content. I still think the game is better off without it though. Same deal with flying tbh.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I'm playing TBC atm and many modern WoW problems were already in Burning Crusade albeit not in a such vast scale as in current retail. Linear questing, previous content rendered meaningless, characters' power lifted through the roof, small and linear dungeons, etc. plagues the game in its first expansion already.

So needless to say, i'll always prefer vanilla WoW over any other iteration the game has had.
  • 0107sj0107sj Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    deniter said:
    I'm playing TBC atm and many modern WoW problems were already in Burning Crusade albeit not in a such vast scale as in current retail. Linear questing, previous content rendered meaningless, characters' power lifted through the roof, small and linear dungeons, etc. plagues the game in its first expansion already.

So needless to say, i'll always prefer vanilla WoW over any other iteration the game has had.
    Ofc any version of the game had issues but content certainly didnt become meaningless at any point in TBC. I mean kara was raided from the first week untill the last and not just because it was a great raid but because it was a part of the progression. 

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I think he means previous content in Classic was rendered meaningless...
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Galadourn said:
    I think he means previous content in Classic was rendered meaningless...
    Exactly.