Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Caspien tantrum about news coverage

Comments

• tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Kyleran said:
    All of this is making a lot out of nothing. If they hit the 8 year mark with no end in sight, then trouble, but til then, not much to be said.
    Responses like this are boggling really, they promised two, 2, to, too years....

Sure, I knew it would never happen,  but giving a free pass until year 8, just crazy talk.

It might even be OK if the devs would come out and say, yep we blew it, expect it to be another 4 or 5 years or so, but they won't. 

CUs coming up on 6 years and still Mark wont say....just 2 more years maybe.....

Is the never ending development story really acceptable, not for me certainly.

People keep forgetting the burn rate, this team reportedly has 25 people on it or so say some of the ivory tower members on the COE forum.

For ease of discussion, let's assume they all cost $75K each per year, and not even worry about building,  infrastructure,  insurance or other expenses.

That comes out to $1.875M per year, they've raised $5.5M total to date and have spent $??? since the project start back in the fall of 2016.

How far do you think the funds will go? Unless a big influx of funding comes in from somewhere, it's very likely by years end they'll be forced to scale back, layoff or sell out to a publisher. 

One does not have to be a gaming dev to understand money has to come from somewhere, and nobody rides for free.

A never ending build cycle is unsustainable over the long term, well unless you are Chris Roberts.

They either have the money and ability to make it or they dont. Us pissing and moaning doesnt change either.

End of story.

Feel free to keep pissing and moaning, though.
    craftseeker
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Kyleran said:
    All of this is making a lot out of nothing. If they hit the 8 year mark with no end in sight, then trouble, but til then, not much to be said.
    Responses like this are boggling really, they promised two, 2, to, too years....

Sure, I knew it would never happen,  but giving a free pass until year 8, just crazy talk.

It might even be OK if the devs would come out and say, yep we blew it, expect it to be another 4 or 5 years or so, but they won't. 

CUs coming up on 6 years and still Mark wont say....just 2 more years maybe.....

People keep forgetting the burn rate, this team reportedly has 25 people on it or so say some of the ivory tower members on the COE forum.

For ease of discussion, let's assume they all cost $75K each per year, and not even worry about building,  infrastructure,  insurance or other expenses.

That comes out to $1.875M per year, they've raised $5.5M total to date and have spent $??? since the project start back in the fall of 2016.

How far do you think the funds will go? Unless a big influx of funding comes in from somewhere, it's very likely by years end they'll be forced to scale back, layoff or sell out to a publisher. 

One does not have to be a gaming dev to understand money has to come from somewhere, and nobody rides for free.

A never ending build cycle is unsustainable over the long term, well unless you are Chris Roberts.

They either have the money and ability to make it or they dont. Us pissing and moaning doesnt change either.

End of story.

While the delays and budget sure provide plenty of fodder. This thread was actually about his tantrum regarding Tim’s article and his statement that he was pulling his exclusives from here and Massively and taking the, to PCGamer(go see how much they care about CoE by search for how many articles they have published on it).  So regardless of how you feel about “pissing and moaning” I hope you can agree that the tantrum should be condemned.
    craftseekertweedledumb99Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Kyleran said:
    Ratero said:
    Seriously, can we just let this thread just die?
    Your request reminds me of how sometimes at work someone will accidentally cc a large distribution list in a reply all.

Hilarity ensues as first a number of people will reply all asking to be removed from the DL, followed closely by many who admonish others for hitting reply all, by replying to all themselves.

Then come the reply all emails threatening to escalate to management if other people don't stop replying to all. (I am not making this stuff up)

Pro tip,  best way to kill a thread is to stop replying....
    Yep agree let's just let the thread die by not posting. Who's with me? >:)
    I can do that. :D 
    Fair enough, unless or until the day comes when Soulbound follows through on their "promise' to blacklist MMORPG or any other news group I'm happy to dispense with all other sidebar conversations.

My last post here....for now.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited February 2019
    Sharne said:
    Kyleran said:

End of story.

Damn right, how dare they voice their opinions on a discussion forum!!!  :*
    Dont twist my words, i didnt say they shouldnt be allowed to piss and moan, I said that it IS pissing and moaning (i.e. let's not dance around what this is), and to feel free to continue it.

Slapshot1188 said:
    Kyleran said:

End of story.

While the delays and budget sure provide plenty of fodder. This thread was actually about his tantrum regarding Tim’s article and his statement that he was pulling his exclusives from here and Massively and taking the, to PCGamer(go see how much they care about CoE by search for how many articles they have published on it).  So regardless of how you feel about “pissing and moaning” I hope you can agree that the tantrum should be condemned.
    I see the point of pissing and moaning for entertainment purposes. I do it myself sometimes to entertain me or others (separate from sharing info, which I acknowledge was done in this thread up to a point).

But setting that aside, yes, as I've said earlier, him taking away info from MOP and here is goofy and is worth criticising.

We're on page 22 though.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Gdemami said:
    Dakeru said:
    You are describing yourself perfectly.
    Unlikely, I am not the one with 300+ troll CoE threads under my belt...

Just a couple thousand LOLs.
    craftseekerIselin[Deleted User]KyleranGeezerGamer

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Nilden said:
    Gdemami said:
    Dakeru said:
    You are describing yourself perfectly.
    Unlikely, I am not the one with 300+ troll CoE threads under my belt...

Just a couple thousand LOLs.

More like many tens of thousands. 
    Kylerantweedledumb99
  • DerryFHDerryFH Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Ratero said:
    Oh god, please no. This is one of a must read for me every morning.

Works as a sanitizer or a dose of vaccine to be prepared for the daily brain walsh I am getting by reading discord or CoE forums.
    craftseekerKyleran
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    3-0-0+ is completely relevant because I include every poster on here that is obsessively negative about SBS. You are the largest contributor most like and that is why you get the comment. But that is what you want right? Internet notoriety? 

I am glad you counted them. 46 threads dude... for a game you think is going to fail. 46 threads is 15% of the total. Jesus that is obsessive

Why would I post on other games that I have no interest in?
    So I am every poster on here now?  Is this my Corrie Booker Spartacus moment?

Here is just one of your blatantly wrong quotes:
    ”I suppose that is your only recourse. 3-0-0+ threads on how much this game fails is pretty good evidence that you have a massive personal grudge.”

Multiple times in this very thread you have been called out for misquoting and for stating untruths. As always, the best response is to simply counter with facts  ;) 

If your only purpose for visiting MMORPG.com is to defend a single game at least we know where you are coming from and why you are here.

So I ask you again: Was the fact that Caspien threw a temper tantrum about Tim’s mild article and stated he would pull all his exclusive info from the site worthy of a discussion thread?  If the answer is yes, then your inane, made up falsehoods have no relevance at all on this thread.
    Whichever way you spin it Slap you personally created 46 threats, 15% of all the threads dedicated to this game. So yes, 3-0-0+ threads that you are all over. That is obsessive.

The vast majority of posters on this forum don't like this game. Why are there 300+ threads on it? On a game you guys even don't like?

I am not even defending the game. I am just amazed at your need to bait someone like Caspian. Where do you get the motivation from?

As I have repeatedly stated, Caspian is an idiot for his public statements. He should shut up. Utterly irrelevant to your obsession however.
    tweedledumb99Slapshot1188craftseeker
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    edited February 2019
    MadFrenchie said: (EDIT- I should say, this is when you aren't merely insulting others merely for the sake of being a useless Edge Lord).
    The irony is just too much. You are the most condescending poster on here. You get personal at the drop of a hat.
    Wrong.  I can be abrasive, but that's not the same as personal.   If I say or imply something you've said is, say, stupid, then it's an assessment on the words you've posted (ooh, or, say, if I reply to a poster by calling their assessment of another poster "ignorant," perhaps!  That seems applicable here).  Your actions, not your person.  If someone struggles to handle such criticism of their quite public comments, they shouldn't be posting on the internet.

You should actually spend more time on these forums if you're going to make a blanket assessment of any poster here.

EDIT- I should say, I very much label our LOL troll's account/person him or herself as an edge lord that's useless to this community.  That's because he or she has consistently shown themselves as such to the point that not doing so is avoiding calling a spade a spade.
    Which is exactly what people do to you and then you moan about it. What a hypocrite. *facepalm*
    craftseeker
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited February 2019
    MadFrenchie said: (EDIT- I should say, this is when you aren't merely insulting others merely for the sake of being a useless Edge Lord).
    The irony is just too much. You are the most condescending poster on here. You get personal at the drop of a hat.
    Wrong.  I can be abrasive, but that's not the same as personal.   If I say or imply something you've said is, say, stupid, then it's an assessment on the words you've posted (ooh, or, say, if I reply to a poster by calling their assessment of another poster "ignorant," perhaps!  That seems applicable here).  Your actions, not your person.  If someone struggles to handle such criticism of their quite public comments, they shouldn't be posting on the internet.

You should actually spend more time on these forums if you're going to make a blanket assessment of any poster here.

EDIT- I should say, I very much label our LOL troll's account/person him or herself as an edge lord that's useless to this community.  That's because he or she has consistently shown themselves as such to the point that not doing so is avoiding calling a spade a spade.
    Which is exactly what people do to you and then you moan about it. What a hypocrite. *facepalm*
    Moan about it?  What moaning?  About the only thing I've posted here that could be construed as "moaning" would've been the part where I bemoaned (get it?) the idea of a poster who has an account on this site merely to white knight their favorite crowdfunded project thinking he or she knows the posting habits of other posters here.

I don't think you can challenge that statement, though, because your post history shows the sort of obsessive behavior you project onto Slap.
    GdemamiSlapshot1188craftseeker

Moan about it?  What moaning?  About the only thing I've posted here that could be construed as "moaning" would've been the part where I bemoaned (get it?) the idea of a poster who has an account on this site merely to white knight their favorite crowdfunded project thinking he or she knows the posting habits of other posters here.

I don't think you can challenge that statement, though, because your post history shows the sort of obsessive behavior you project onto Slap.
    Don’t fall into the trap.  He can’t discuss the game so seeks to shift the discussion. When confronted with blatant inaccuracies and falsehoods he simply shifts the goalposts to keep discussing inane and irrelevant comments.  All you need to know is that literally for YEARS he has not posted in anything but this forum.   Case closed.  The beauty of these forums is that everyone can see for themselves.  Just like with Caspien, often his own words are the best source of humor.

So that said.  Let’s not indulge his Don Quixote fantasy any longer.
    GdemamiMadFrenchiecraftseeker

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Kyleran said:
    Ratero said:
    Your request reminds me of how sometimes at work someone will accidentally cc a large distribution list in a reply all.

Hilarity ensues as first a number of people will reply all asking to be removed from the DL, followed closely by many who admonish others for hitting reply all, by replying to all themselves.

Then come the reply all emails threatening to escalate to management if other people don't stop replying to all. (I am not making this stuff up)

Pro tip,  best way to kill a thread is to stop replying....
    Yep agree let's just let the thread die by not posting. Who's with me? >:)
    Ooh Ooh!! I'll not post here too and make sure to contribute to the death of this thread!

.......oh wait.
    Kyleran
    DerryFH said:
    Ratero said:

Works as a sanitizer or a dose of vaccine to be prepared for the daily brain walsh I am getting by reading discord or CoE forums.
    Was that some kind of Freudian slip?

DerryFH said:
    Ratero said:

Was that some kind of Freudian slip?
    Oh, my, what can I say now not to get a hater badge.

Any resemblance to actual persons, living or playing dead, actual or roleplayed events is purely coincidental
    Slapshot1188
    edited February 2019
    Caspien was back at it today.  He seems to struggle with the concept that right now there IS NO GAME to talk about.  MMORPG and Massively have done plenty of free articles for them when they announce some new feature even though it's only in their plans and nobody can play/see it.  It's absolutely amazing.  Someone should go and look at all the free publicity/positive coverage this site has given them.  They literally post one single MILDLY critical article pointing out the blown timeline and promises and he's so insulted he pulls his toys saying they are only being critical because it drives clicks.  Amazing. Such a damn disconnect from reality. He raised almost $6 MILLION because of sites like this one. He launched his Kickstarter campaign on here.  The gall of this guy to then claim sites like this are just critical for clicks... Believe me, no amount of clicks comes close to the $6M he raised.

His big tease is that they rapidly are working to let someone into pre-Alpha. And that there's "big news coming up in the next couple months"

CaspianToday at 9:37 PM

In truth, I'm not really sure where all the hostility comes from. Sure. We're a crowdfunded game. We're absolutely doing stuff no other game has done. We have no problem thinking outside of the box and creating a game that's truly and radically different. But if you look at most of the opinion websites, they don't focus on the game. They focus on our crowdfunding, or that we sell promo items, or that we're trying to build a world populated with players at launch instead of NPCs. There's very little talk happening about the game or what makes it truly unique and compelling. Which is, I think, the main problem I have. Talking about what they don't like about our current place in development gets clicks. Talking about the compelling features of an in-development game would draw more traffic to our website, but not necessarily theirs. /shrug

+Plenty more of the same drivel
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    Gdemamicraftseekertweedledumb99Kyleran

edited February 2019
    Caspien was back at it today.  He seems to struggle with the concept that right now there IS NO GAME to talk about.  MMORPG and Massively have done plenty of free articles for them when they announce some new feature even though it's only in their plans and nobody can play/see it.  It's absolutely amazing.  Someone should go and look at all the free publicity/positive coverage this site has given them.  They literally post one single MILDLY critical article pointing out the blown timeline and promises and he's so insulted he pulls his toys saying they are only being critical because it drives clicks.  Amazing. Such a damn disconnect from reality. He raised almost $6 MILLION because of sites like this one. He launched his Kickstarter campaign on here.  The gall of this guy to then claim sites like this are just critical for clicks... Believe me, no amount of clicks comes close to the $6M he raised.

His big tease is that they rapidly are working to let someone into pre-Alpha. And that there's "big news coming up in the next couple months"

CaspianToday at 9:37 PM

In truth, I'm not really sure where all the hostility comes from. Sure. We're a crowdfunded game. We're absolutely doing stuff no other game has done. We have no problem thinking outside of the box and creating a game that's truly and radically different. But if you look at most of the opinion websites, they don't focus on the game. They focus on our crowdfunding, or that we sell promo items, or that we're trying to build a world populated with players at launch instead of NPCs. There's very little talk happening about the game or what makes it truly unique and compelling. Which is, I think, the main problem I have. Talking about what they don't like about our current place in development gets clicks. Talking about the compelling features of an in-development game would draw more traffic to our website, but not necessarily theirs. /shrug

+Plenty more of the same drivel
    I found this insightful and the quote hilarious - in case it wasn't clear, I LOL'd for non Gdemami reasons.

This dev really does seem out to lunch.

Also, does he have no concept of who Peter Molyneux is, and that devs can promise the world, but what counts (to interested-clickers) is what the devs can actually show?

You've said similar stuff, but I'll put my take here:

(I'm taking Caspien at face value, because that's the most generous thing to do: if he's saying stuff like this but doesn't believe it, then that's dodgy as fuck).

What amazes me about this comment is it shows he doesn't see the difference between what is theoretically possible (CoE promises about difficult, innovative working features) and what is demonstrably true (lack of progress on those features). And it shows that he can't see why a NEWS site would focus on facts over incredibly-bold developer promises that have borne no fruit. And it shows that he maybe doesn't understand why a news site that has already covered his incredibly-bold promises would choose not to do so repeatedly when no visible progress is made on them.

I don't know if it's worse that Caspien plays dumb, or actually doesn't understand how completely fucking baffling his take is.
    GdemamiKyleranMendelMadFrenchie
    edited February 2019
    I believe that Caspian feels he is justified to put comments like this - now that he started posting some regular updates in the EA forum section.

I think that by doing them, he thinks that he is back on the "good guy" side and everything is back to normal.
    I'm just waiting for the next promotion/forum event to kick in now that the greedy/hating crowd is tamed with few updates.

Fingers crossed that I am mistaken and the updates are there to stay for good until the launch, but not convinced yet. After all the failures it will take more than a few posts to rekindle my hype for this game.

Same as I no longer wait for SC (packed few nice hundreds of $ in it) as it takes too long to deliver and now my approach I like - meh, update, announcement, no longer hyped to play even if they launch tomorrow.

And for CoE - if all this talk that "devs believe to release the full game in 2019" goes down the shit hole - I'll probably be in the same state, no longer interested in the actual launch. And fuck my nobility package, I no longer care.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    tweedledumb99 said:
    what the devs can actually show?
    ...would screenshots/animated gifs like this made you feel better?
    https://imgur.com/a/13sj08T

or maybe you like diagrams more?
    https://imgur.com/a/NJSWl9b

Just curious...

craftseekertweedledumb99KyleranEponyxDamor
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Gdemami said:
    tweedledumb99 said:

Just curious...

Apparently they actually have nothing to show at all, based solely on your post.

Where you making a joke?
    Or did you actually feel that meant something?
    GdemamiNilden
    edited February 2019
    Gdemami said:
    tweedledumb99 said:

Just curious...

When I ask what the devs can show, and you post random code from Python with no context of what it is, as a rebuttal, do you see why that makes it LESS convincing that the devs have anything to show?

Unless you're playing 4D chess and are actually trolling SBS right now...
    GdemamicraftseekerNilden
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited February 2019
    def lol_bot(thread):
        # This doesn't make any real sense but so what?
        # An LOL a day keeps the boogie man away.

lol_counter = 0  #Don't worry This will hit max in no time.

for post in thread:
             if post:
                 if lol_counter < 1000:
                     lol_counter += 1
                     print(DOMAIN + '/react/comment/' + COMMENT_ID + '/4')

# Need to reset lol_counter to 0
                  lol_counter = 0
                  print bollocks(thread) # Previously written witless retort function

lol_bot(every_thread_ever_for_the_past_10_years)

*Patch Note: We forgot to reset the lol_counter to 0 so the function can be repeated.
    Post edited by FlyByKnight on
    tweedledumb99craftseekerSlapshot1188KyleranlaseritNildenEponyxDamorMendelMadFrenchie
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    def lol_bot(thread):
        # This doesn't make any real sense but so what?
        # An LOL a day keeps the boogie man away.

lol_counter = 0  #Don't worry This will hit max in no time.

for post in thread:
             if post:
                 if lol_counter < 1000:
                     lol_counter += 1
                     print(DOMAIN + '/react/comment/' + COMMENT_ID + '/4')
                  print bollocks(thread) # Previously written witless retort function

lol_bot(every_thread_ever_for_the_past_10_years)
    This is better than it should be lol.
    When I ask what the devs can show
    ...and I provided an example of dev work, yet you didn't answer a simple question whether such showing would satisfy you.
    craftseeker[Deleted User]tweedledumb99EponyxDamorFlyByKnightUngood
    craftseeker said:
    Apparently they actually have nothing to show at all, based solely on your post.
    ...can you elaborate how did you come to such funny, flawed conclusion?
    craftseeker[Deleted User]tweedledumb99EponyxDamor
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited February 2019
    Gdemami said:
    craftseeker said:
    ...can you elaborate how did you come to such funny, flawed conclusion?
    Probably because they realized you are being intentionally obtuse.

I'll help you out, here is some pre, pre, alpha gameplay from CU from Dec 2015. (Which anyone who was a basic alpha backer like me could participate)

This was about 2.5 years post Kickstarter,  close to where COE is in terms of development time, so something along these lines would not be unreasonable to expect.

Gdemami[Deleted User]tweedledumb99MendelEponyxDamorNildenUngoodcraftseeker

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon